Camp updates 8/10

jbt

2 hours ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

Browning Nagle ended Al Toon's career with the same kind of garbage throws

Not true.  Toon had multiple concussions over years with kenny O as his QB.  Toon routinely made circus catches that put him at risk.  In many ways his freakish ability to extend himself to make impossible catches are what did him in.  

He had at least 9 concussions in his career and probably more. 

• Upvote 4

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 minutes ago, Biggs said:

Not true.  Toon had multiple concussions over years with kenny O as his QB.  Toon routinely made circus catches that put him at risk.  In many ways his freakish ability to extend himself to make impossible catches are what did him in.  

He had at least 9 concussions in his career and probably more. 

No doubt he suffered concussions with Kenny O as well.

But I distinctly remember Nagle hanging Toon out to dry over the middle, and his career ended shortly thereafter.

• Upvote 1

“Cards in our back pocket” is weird, because that’s not something you’d say if the answer was just “start Becton and build around that.” If one of the cards is to move AVT, they should have made that call post-draft so AVT could prep for the transition in his training. More likely than not, it means they have a Morgan Moses-type pickup in mind that they don’t want to commit to until Mitchell and Turner force their hand. Bottom line, the fact that they’re not even trying to give Becton reps at RT is not great

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

“Cards in our back pocket” is weird, because that’s not something you’d say if the answer was just “start Becton and build around that.” If one of the cards is to move AVT, they should have made that call post-draft so AVT could prep for the transition in his training. More likely than not, it means they have a Morgan Moses-type pickup in mind that they don’t want to commit to until Mitchell and Turner force their hand. Bottom line, the fact that they’re not even trying to give Becton reps at RT is not great

I'm sure there's a guy they're def keeping their eyes on but the whole Becton thing makes no sense. Unless they're intention is to just trade him and that's it. 

Also maybe why they're not budging off their offer for Cook. They'd rather save it that extra and use it for an OL that shakes free if needed.

6 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Meh.  We knew 2 months ago the target date for brown and becton would be 9/11. It’s entirely possible that they won’t  move becton over until camp is over and they can keep it somewhat private or he may not be in the plans right now at all or what concerns me the most is the real timetable for Brown is like October and they are planning on becton playing LT  

Still have basically a month to go 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Zachtomims47 said:

I'm sure there's a guy they're def keeping their eyes on but the whole Becton thing makes no sense. Unless they're intention is to just trade him and that's it. 

Also maybe why they're not budging off their offer for Cook. They'd rather save it that extra and use it for an OL that shakes free if needed.

This. The Jets appear to need tackle depth. They do not need Cook.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Zachtomims47 said:

IMO, they’re treating Becton the way an MLB team treats one of their starters right before they trade him—send him out for a little bit, let him put some good reps on tape, and then pulling him early. You’d think if 1. Becton was in the plans and 2. Saleh acknowledges the urgency of securing the OT positions, they’d stop saying “Duane Brown is coming back soon to be the unquestioned LT1,” and they’d be giving Becton reps at RT. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1
  • More Ugh 1

1 hour ago, Larz said:

Meh.  We knew 2 months ago the target date for brown and becton would be 9/11. It’s entirely possible that they won’t  move becton over until camp is over and they can keep it somewhat private or he may not be in the plans right now at all or what concerns me the most is the real timetable for Brown is like October and they are planning on becton playing LT  

Still have basically a month to go 

Just strikes me as odd that they’re all but guaranteeing Duane Brown the LT job without even seeing him play, while at the same time cycling both Turner and Mitchell into both tackle roles with the 1’s. Is Becton the LT3 when Brown comes back?

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Just strikes me as odd that they’re all but guaranteeing Duane Brown the LT job without even seeing him play, while at the same time cycling both Turner and Mitchell into both tackle roles with the 1’s. Is Becton the LT3 when Brown comes back?

My guess is whoever is deemed ready to go 60 plays first gets the job. If both of them are deemed ready around 9/1 then there will be some kind of competition. 

The loser of the competition will be inactive on game day and allowed to get healthy fully because they’re going to need both realistically. 

RT and swing tackle probably some combination of AVT, Turner and Mitchell. 

for a team with an OT issue, I just can’t see trading becton unless he gets benched and demands a trade. It’s possible but not very likely to me. 

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Becton probably asked for a trade.  It's why he's playing nice after saying he's only a LT.

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

Becton probably asked for a trade.  It's why he's playing nice after saying he's only a LT.

This is my suspicion, too. Becton burned his bridges last year and they told him to show up in shape and they’ll work out a deal for him somewhere. Interested to see how much he plays on Saturday. 

16 hours ago, T0mShane said:

This is my suspicion, too. Becton burned his bridges last year and they told him to show up in shape and they’ll work out a deal for him somewhere. Interested to see how much he plays on Saturday. 

Tapping out after 7 plays doesn’t help get you traded.   The guy seems totally unaware how low his stock is right now.  

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, Larz said:

We knew 2 months ago the target date for becton would be 9/11.

That would be news to me.  All indications were that he was fully healthy.  A quick google search yielded two quotes from Saleh on June 9 and again on July 20 stating Becton is a "full go" for training camp.

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, T0mShane said:

For me, Duane Brown's play for the year 2022 was his tryout for this year's starting role at LT.   For Brown to lose the starting job, someone would have to outplay what Brown has on tape for 2022.  As I see it, the only one capable of doing that is Becton.  Becton would have to dominate for at least 3 quarters in this upcoming game, and then do the same thing against the Giants, or similar.  

If Becton shows up for real, then it's Becton and Brown, or Brown and Becton as #1 and #2 left tackle.  

What I am in the dark on, is where is Carter Warren in all of this?  Is this a redshirt year for him?  Why is his name not mentioned with Turner and Mitchell?

And unless Becton is a willing and positive participant for the right tackle job, if it were me, I would plant AVT at right tackle for 2023.  We seem to have several guys who could do a capable job at right guard, but nobody who I trust at right tackle. 

1 hour ago, DoubleDown said:

That would be news to me.  All indications were that he was fully healthy.  A quick google search yielded two quotes from Saleh on June 9 and again on July 20 stating Becton is a "full go" for training camp.

The problem is Becton’s “full go” isn’t a standard professional’s “full go.”