Insider Trashes Mekhi Becton; Robert Saleh Says AVT at OT Possible

Written by Glenn NaughtonMekhi-Becton.jpg

Robert Saleh weighed in on the future of Alijah Vera-Tucker while Jets offensive tackle Mekhi Becton continues to work his way back from a knee injury that has kept him on the shelf for two full seasons.  Despite the work the big tackle has put in, one NFL insider took the time to rip Becton while discussing his current status.

Speaking on the In the Huddle podcast, Jason La Canfora made it clear that he sees Becton as a non-factor, saying that during Jets training camp, Becton “still looks like a stiff”.

“The part I love about the Jets — I bet you don’t hear a whole lot about this on ‘Hard Knocks’ — how (offensive tackle) Mekhi Becton still looks like a stiff,”

-Jason La Canfora, In the Huddle podcast

Words like those are usually reserved for players who have no business being on an NFL roster.  Meanwhile, Becton raised plenty of eyebrows by pulling himself out of Thursday night’s game against the Browns, but looked plenty good in limited action.

Injury questions will linger until they don't, but Mekhi Becton was pretty much flawless on Thurs night. Edge rusher tries to beat Becton to his left on 3rd down and is easily taken outside of and well past the pocket. Wilson has plenty of room to work with but slips on turf. pic.twitter.com/yXZuMfNsW4

— Glenn Naughton (@JNRadio_Glenn) August 5, 2023

Staying with the offensive line theme, Jets head coach Robert Saleh met with the media today and when asked about the possibility of Alijah Vera-Tucker moving to tackle, did not rule out such a possibility.  If the Jets plan on playing their best five, AVT at OT should definitely be on the table at this point.

The post Insider Trashes Mekhi Becton; Robert Saleh Says AVT at OT Possible appeared first on JetNation.com - New York Jets Blog & Forum.

Click here to read the full story...

• Thumb Down 1

18 hours ago, JetNation said:

Robert Saleh weighed in on the future of Alijah Vera-Tucker while Jets offensive tackle Mekhi Becton continues to work his way back from a knee injury that has kept him on the shelf for two full seasons.  Despite the work the big tackle has put in, one NFL insider took the time to rip Becton while discussing his current status.

Speaking on the In the Huddle podcast, Jason La Canfora made it clear that he sees Becton as a non-factor, saying that during Jets training camp, Becton “still looks like a stiff”.

“The part I love about the Jets — I bet you don’t hear a whole lot about this on ‘Hard Knocks’ — how (offensive tackle) Mekhi Becton still looks like a stiff,”

Words like those are usually reserved for players who have no business being on an NFL roster.  Meanwhile, Becton raised plenty of eyebrows by pulling himself out of Thursday night’s game against the Browns, but looked plenty good in limited action.

Injury questions will linger until they don't, but Mekhi Becton was pretty much flawless on Thurs night. Edge rusher tries to beat Becton to his left on 3rd down and is easily taken outside of and well past the pocket. Wilson has plenty of room to work with but slips on turf. pic.twitter.com/yXZuMfNsW4

Staying with the offensive line theme, Jets head coach Robert Saleh met with the media today and when asked about the possibility of Alijah Vera-Tucker moving to tackle, did not rule out such a possibility.  If the Jets plan on playing their best five, AVT at OT should definitely be on the table at this point.

The post Insider Trashes Mekhi Becton; Robert Saleh Says AVT at OT Possible appeared first on JetNation.com - New York Jets Blog & Forum.

Didn't look too bad in practice brah

• Upvote 1

Every GM — including JD — says “we want guys who love football.” But in his first ever pick he passes on a guy from OL University who lives for the game for some jamoke who had to crash diet before the Combine to cash in.

• Upvote 5
  • Thumb Down 1

2 minutes ago, jgb said:

Even if you didn’t want to draft Wirfs there, Becton was a terrible pick at that spot.

I don't think it's not wanting to draft Wirfs as much as it is the position he plays.

Becton obviously looks like a terrible pick at this point. I don't mind taking a big swing at a huge upside LT. A lot of guys here hated it at the time. Looks like they were right.

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

I don't think it's not wanting to draft Wirfs as much as it is the position he plays.

Becton obviously looks like a terrible pick at this point. I don't mind taking a big swing at a huge upside LT. A lot of guys here hated it at the time. Looks like they were right.

kevin bacon dancing GIF

Too many character red flags to take him there. Dummy tested positive for weed right before the draft. I don’t care about weed but he doesn’t have the self-discipline to cut it out for 8 weeks with millions on the line? Also, he had to crash diet to get in shape for the combine… after playing D1 football for three years. All screams a guy who has glided by on talent up until then.

• Upvote 3

Lacanfora Is an insider?  Bah. 

I am not surprised people are saying this but I am waiting for it to be unnamed team sources.  Like the guy who said Hackenberg couldnt hit water from a boat.

I don't know what makes Becton an LT and Wirfs an RT.  You take the better player.  I am on record as saying Wirfs had more upside and was physically more impressive.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, JKlecko said:

Jason La Canfora doesn't know jack.  His take is trash.  It completely is the opposite of what Saleh and all the beatwriters have been saying.  He's just trying to get attention and get his name out there more.

So… anything to say about the actual substance of his comments?

5 minutes ago, jgb said:

I didn't waste my time or energy reading them.  Becton looked very good in the HOF game in his limited action.  I saw that with my own eyes.  I've also seen several practice clips that tell me that LaCanfora is full of sh*t.  Becton does not look "stiff."  Saleh has been giving positive reports on him and in the Wednesday practice raved about a block that Becton made that few could have.  The only question with Becton is his trusting his knee and his stamina.  That tells me all I need to know, and I don't need to read some hack's comments.

21 hours ago, JetNation said:

Why is this”the part I love about the Jets”????    

What does he love besides the sound of his own voice?

6 minutes ago, JKlecko said:

I didn't waste my time or energy reading them.  Becton looked very good in the HOF game in his limited action.  I saw that with my own eyes.  I've also seen several practice clips that tell me that LaCanfora is full of sh*t.  Becton does not look "stiff."  Saleh has been giving positive reports on him and in the Wednesday practice raved about a block that Becton made that few could have.  The only question with Becton is his trusting his knee and his stamina.  That tells me all I need to know, and I don't need to read some hack's comments.

That’s nice

24 minutes ago, jgb said:

He addressed the substance, didn't he?  La Confora said he was a stiff (whatever that means) and jklecko mentioned how Becton's issues have not been with his play in actual games, but with injuries.  I am not sure what La Confora's statement means - the thing he loves about the Jets is that Becton is a stiff - means. But I take a stiff means he is not a good player and that has not been the issue with Becton. The talent is there.  

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

He addressed the substance, didn't he?  La Confora said he was a stiff (whatever that means) and jklecko mentioned how Becton's issues have not been with his play in actual games, but with injuries.  I am not sure what La Confora's statement means - the thing he loves about the Jets is that Becton is a stiff - means. But I take a stiff means he is not a good player and that has not been the issue with Becton. The talent is there.  

After I asked, yes. Older posts appear higher on the page FYI.

• Haha 1

51 minutes ago, k-met57 said:

here is the problem....(ive said this 100 times now)

there is not one person who can point to Bechton being on the field in a game and say, he sucks. he's literally held up his part of the bargain between the white lines on game day every time.

say whatever you want about his mental makeup and injuries, but calling him a "stiff" is some of the dumbest sh*t ive seen today....and i am on twitter a lot.

You are right calling him a stiff is dumb. Too forgiving and understated. I would go with slouch.

1 hour ago, jgb said:

kevin bacon dancing GIF

Too many character red flags to take him there. Dummy tested positive for weed right before the draft. I don’t care about weed but he doesn’t have the self-discipline to cut it out for 8 weeks with millions on the line? Also, he had to crash diet to get in shape for the combine… after playing D1 football for three years. All screams a guy who has glided by on talent up until then.

Warren Sapp tested positive before the draft as well. I don't put too much stock in that. How much of the red flags are actually hindsight?  Everything I read had him as a top 10 or top 15 in a covid year on top of it

Becton is mentally weak. He doesn’t the desire nor motivation to succeed at this level.

And he doesn’t fit the mold of the team that has been and is being built. Listen to and watch players like Sauce, GW, AVT. Glaring difference from Becton, who takes himself out of games and proclaims on social media that he “is A.LEFT.TACKLE.”  

As far as his actually play, his fan club has severely overrated it. He graded out as below average on PFF the one year he played, and allowed anywhere from 7-10 sacks in his 13 games, depending on what source you look at. 

You got suckered by his size. Unfortunately so did JD  

The sooner he is off this team, the better. Just like Mims. 

1 hour ago, k-met57 said:

here is the problem....(ive said this 100 times now)

there is not one person who can point to Bechton being on the field in a game and say, he sucks. he's literally held up his part of the bargain between the white lines on game day every time.

say whatever you want about his mental makeup and injuries, but calling him a "stiff" is some of the dumbest sh*t ive seen today....and i am on twitter a lot.

Not true I think he sucks 

• Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 1