Battle of the 6th WR: Taylor vs Brownlee vs Gipson

I'm always torn on replying to these questions:

1. On one side, I get that we fans obsess over every minutia of the roster, down to the least significant guy on the P.S.

2. On the other, if whomever the #6 WR is sees even a single play at WR this year, we are in deep and unrelenting sh*t in terms of winning games.

So I often find it hard to care that much about the bottom roster guys.  Every year we obsess over which over-hyped guy will make it, and how he's really a secret weapon, maybe the next Chosen or Chrebet or whatever.

Then the next year they're cut loose and we do it all over again.

All this to say, the only names that matter in 2023 at WR are Wilson, Davis, Lazard and maybe Hardman.

I honestly don't see alot of truly meaningful difference in talent/potential quality from these other guys. 

So whomever AR likes most, lets keep him.

I think this one will be very close.

Brownlee is bigger, younger and was a highly regarded UDFA who got a good amount of guaranteed money. He has more upside than Taylor and has been impressive in camp, though he did make some mistakes in the HOF game.

Taylor is 4 years older than Brownlee, and hasn't done a great deal in the NFL so far.  But he is more polished, faster and clearly has the confidence of Aaron Rodgers - a factor than cannot be overlooked. He also probably has more ST value than Brownlee does. He has looked good in camp and made a huge catch in the HOF game.

So it's youth and upside against an older player who probably offers more right now.  At the end of the day, the Jets probably hope to keep both - it will be a question of which one they keep on the 53, and which one they feel they can sneak through waivers and onto the PS.

Personally, I'd keep Taylor on the 53 and try to sneak Brownlee through onto the PS, but the Jets could easily go the other way if they feel there is a greater chance of Brownlee being claimed from waivers before he makes it to the PS.

• Upvote 4

it's going to be Malik Taylor for the same reason Allan Lazard will be WR2, Cobb will be WR 6, Billy Turner will be the right tackle, Adrian Amos will be the backup safety etc. Because of the Aaron Rodgers connection. all these guys are making the 53  

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

5 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

What sucks is having too choose between promising young WR's to keep a 33 year old Cobb on the roster. 

I have no problems with Cobb as the #5 wideout. 

Granted that’s simply because of Rodgers. Those two still have great chemistry together and I wouldn’t be surprised at all to see Cobb come up with a big 3rd down conversion or two come playoff time.

Really the only young, somewhat promising receivers fighting for a roster spot are Brownlee and Gipson. Taylor is nearing 28, Erickson is 30, etc.

• Upvote 1

I'm not completely convinced the Jets are keeping 6 WR.  If they decide to keep Bawden as a FB, four RB, and/or four TE, there simply may not be room.

Assuming they do keep one, If I had to choose right now, I'd go with Malik Taylor as the more seasoned player, connection with Rodgers, and possible role as a kick returner.  Brownlee did not impress in the HOF game with two drops that hit him in the chest.  As WR6, you need to shine in the few opportunities you get, not squander them in key situations.  They should stash him on the PS.  It's tough to see another NFL team realistically putting him on their 53 man roster.  Nobody even viewed him worthy of a 7th round pick just a few months ago.

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

What sucks is having to choose between promising young WR's to keep a 33 year old Cobb on the roster. 

Why does that bother you so much?  

Which does more to help AR win now?  Clearly that's Cobb.  Both as a teacher/WR coach to the other WR's, and as n actual WR who knows this system and AR like the back of his hand.  

Is any of these "promising" kids going to be a meaningful starter down the road?  They better not, as it would mean JD isn't drafting very well.

I appreciate we're for so long been a laughing stock at NFL WR (and QB), but we really should aim higher than desperately wanting to re-live the get-lucky UDFA Chrebet story. 

We should be talking about how and when we're going to get another stud G.Wilson type to pair with Wilson, so we can have our own version of Waddle/Hill on the Jets.  That's why several of us here wanted JSN over the rotational DE guy this past draft, as there was every potential than Wilson/JSN could be a modern Toon/Walker type long-term combo for us.  

• Upvote 1

Brownlee has shown a ton more on training camp tape than Denzel Mims ever did ;).

Job #1:  Get open regardless of size, speed, etc.  Heck, fart in the corner’s face if you have to.  Brownlee has done this all training camp, on a daily basis, and in the first preseason game 

Job #2:  Catch the ball.  Brownlee has mostly done this, except for a couple tough catches against the Browns and a poor throw from Wilson vs the Panthers.  I believe only 1 was truly catchable as a Browns CB got his hand in there to knock one loose and Wilson led him into the knee of the Panthers CB.

I like Taylor too.  Want to kelp both, but at the expense of who?

• Upvote 2

54 minutes ago, bitonti said:

it's going to be Malik Taylor for the same reason Allan Lazard will be WR2, Cobb will be WR 6, Billy Turner will be the right tackle, Adrian Amos will be the backup safety etc. Because of the Aaron Rodgers connection. all these guys are making the 53  

This take seems rather agenda driven and myopic, and not based on reality or facts.

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Brownlee had the early edge but Malik Taylor has come on strong.  Being that he is familiar with Rodgers, the 6th spot is his to lose at this point.

I would have to agree with you on this one.  Although Taylor is older, he is still only 27 years old, not to turn 28 under late December.  He should have at least 3 good years left including this one, which is the same amount of years that Rodgers might end up playing for the Jets.

Production is the key, and for my money, I see Taylor being involved in more splash plays than Brownlee.

I think after this upcoming game, things should be made more clearer.

3 hours ago, Warfish said:

1. On one side, I get that we fans obsess over every minutia of the roster, down to the least significant guy on the P.S.

2. On the other, if whomever the #6 WR is sees even a single play at WR this year, we are in deep and unrelenting sh*t in terms of winning games.

So I often find it hard to care that much about the bottom roster guys.  Every year we obsess over which over-hyped guy will make it, and how he's really a secret weapon, maybe the next Chosen or Chrebet or whatever.

All this to say, the only names that matter in 2023 at WR are Wilson, Davis, Lazard and maybe Hardman.

I honestly don't see alot of truly meaningful difference in talent/potential quality from these other guys. 

I get what you're saying, but this year I think it may be a little different.  Yes, we have had our TC David Clowneys before, but each of Taylor, Gipson and Brownlee look legit.  Each has a different strength.  I don't necessarily agree that if "the #6 WR sees even a single play at WR this year, we are in deep and unrelenting sh*t in terms of winning games this year."  For any WR, TE or RB who makes the team, Hackett may decide to give them some playing time to take advantage of the strength he offers or to help him develop.  Taylor knows the scheme very well, having played under Hackett with  Rodgers for 2 seasons, I think.  He may be more familiar with Rodgers' hand signs, and has been one of our best downfield WRs in camp, so Rodgers may favor him.  Gipson offers blazing speed and elusiveness from the slot WR position, and he could make the team because he wins the PR job.  Brownlee makes "wow" catches and is very good at contested catches.  There could be opponents or situations where any one of those three might be handy, and they could produce.  Which one makes the team could come down to whom has more influence on the final roster: AR, Hackett, or Brant Boyer.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, mrcoops said:

I think this one will be very close.

Brownlee is bigger, younger and was a highly regarded UDFA who got a good amount of guaranteed money. He has more upside than Taylor and has been impressive in camp, though he did make some mistakes in the HOF game.

Taylor is 4 years older than Brownlee, and hasn't done a great deal in the NFL so far.  But he is more polished, faster and clearly has the confidence of Aaron Rodgers - a factor than cannot be overlooked. He also probably has more ST value than Brownlee does. He has looked good in camp and made a huge catch in the HOF game.

So it's youth and upside against an older player who probably offers more right now.  At the end of the day, the Jets probably hope to keep both - it will be a question of which one they keep on the 53, and which one they feel they can sneak through waivers and onto the PS.

Personally, I'd keep Taylor on the 53 and try to sneak Brownlee through onto the PS, but the Jets could easily go the other way if they feel there is a greater chance of Brownlee being claimed from waivers before he makes it to the PS.

Don't sleep on Gipson.  He could make the team as the 6th WR because the Jets want him to be the PR.  I've read that they plan to make Hardman a big part of the offense, so they may want to avoid risking his getting injured playing STs.  Gipson also offers blazing speed and elusiveness from the slot.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Smashmouth said:

What sucks is having to choose between promising young WR's to keep a 33 year old Cobb on the roster. 

I disagree.  Rodgers loves Cobb and for good reason.  Cobb is an elite 3rd down WR.  He is adept at finding soft spots in the zone and getting open, and then converting the opportunities into 1st downs.  That is invaluable.  You might wind up very glad that we have Cobb.

1 hour ago, DoubleDown said:

I'm not completely convinced the Jets are keeping 6 WR.  If they decide to keep Bawden as a FB, four RB, and/or four TE, there simply may not be room.

Assuming they do keep one, If I had to choose right now, I'd go with Malik Taylor as the more seasoned player, connection with Rodgers, and possible role as a kick returner.  Brownlee did not impress in the HOF game with two drops that hit him in the chest.  As WR6, you need to shine in the few opportunities you get, not squander them in key situations.  They should stash him on the PS.  It's tough to see another NFL team realistically putting him on their 53 man roster.  Nobody even viewed him worthy of a 7th round pick just a few months ago.

You're right that they may not keep 6 WRs.  I believe that will be a mistake, as I think Bawden would be a wasted roster spot, but they seem to have him heavily involved in the offense, and it looks like we are going to have to accept that he's going to be on the roster.  I think not working Ruckert, or a backup OL, DL, or LB as the FB is a mistake.

You could be right about teams not claiming Brownlee, but he was a coveted UDFA, so there probably would be some teams that would claim him.  The Lions are one for sure.  They lost two of their WRs for the season and another for something like 3 or 6 games.  Unless the light has turned on for Mims in a big way, I think they definitely will claim whatever WRs we release if they get the chance.  The Panthers, Cardinals, Texans or Seahawks might beat them to the punch.

I think Taylor might have the edge due to his experience with Hackett and Rodgers, the chemistry he has with Rodgers, he has been one of the best downfield WRs in TC, and he may know Rodgers' hand signals better than the rest.  Hardman has had a hard time with those.

Gipson could also have the edge if the Jets want to use him as the PR rather than Hardman.  I've read that the Jets plan to make Hardman a big part of their offense.  If so, they may not want to risk his getting injured returning punts.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

Which does more to help AR win now?  Clearly that's Cobb.  Both as a teacher/WR coach to the other WR's, and as n actual WR who knows this system and AR like the back of his hand.  

Is any of these "promising" kids going to be a meaningful starter down the road?  They better not, as it would mean JD isn't drafting very well.

I appreciate we're for so long been a laughing stock at NFL WR (and QB), but we really should aim higher than desperately wanting to re-live the get-lucky UDFA Chrebet story. 

We should be talking about how and when we're going to get another stud G.Wilson type to pair with Wilson, so we can have our own version of Waddle/Hill on the Jets.  That's why several of us here wanted JSN over the rotational DE guy this past draft, as there was every potential than Wilson/JSN could be a modern Toon/Walker type long-term combo for us.  

I totally agree with your comments regarding Cobb, but I disagree with the bold.  Every season or almost every season players go undrafted. More than a few of them go on to be solid contributors if not "meaningful starters."  Tom Brady was a 6th round pick. Does that mean that every single GM in the NFL didn't draft well that year?  There are reasons why some players drop in the draft or go undrafted.  Some are late bloomers.  Some had injury issues in college or received poor coaching.  Ultimately, if a player can play at a high level, it doesn't matter where they were drafted.  Joe Klecko was a low round pick.  Many other HOFers were as well.  I don't know for certain, but I suspect that there may be some HOFers who were UDFAs, although there is a lesser chance of that because historically the draft went a lot more rounds than 7, but one could consider any player taken after the 7th round a UDFA.

Denzel Mims started the week 9 win against Buffalo. ;) 

I'm just having fun with you. You know I agree, the WR6 is about as likely to be a serious factor in helping us win games as you or I are in discussing it here, lol. 

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, JKlecko said:

I disagree.  Rodgers loves Cobb and for good reason.  Cobb is an elite 3rd down WR.  He is adept at finding soft spots in the zone and getting open, and then converting the opportunities into 1st downs.  That is invaluable.  You might wind up very glad that we have Cobb.

I get all the reasons Cobb is here but at this stage he's not elite in anything I'm not sure he ever was elite at the position. He in that room to help the young Receivers get used to Rodgers he's not in there for 80 catches. Once again Im fine with him being here and with that said if we have to risk losing a good young WR I would much rather keep 7 if Cobbs presence is so important.

39 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Denzel Mims started the week 9 win against Buffalo. ;) 

I'm just having fun with you. You know I agree, the WR6 is about as likely to be a serious factor in helping us win games as you or I are in discussing it here, lol. 

If Cobb is as washed up as most of these jokers think, that spot will plenty of snaps.

52 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

If Cobb is as washed up as most of these jokers think, that spot will plenty of snaps.

Cobb will be reliable in his niche role. He's not stretching a defense, he's not catching 9 TDs, he's not putting up 800+ yards.

He's going to be on the field on 4+ WR sets running shorter routes. Rodgers knows where he'll be, and if he works his way through to Cobb he isn't going to have miscommunication expecting him to run right when he ran left (or stopped), resulting in a pick that looks like a terrible pass but is really on the WR.

The idea that either kiddo is going to be that reliable target, in his first live NFL action, is wishful thinking. And yes, I wish it so, too. Yeah that and a $1 $17 toll will get me over the bridge. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

2 hours ago, Warfish said:

Here is why I disagree with this:

1. Injuries happen. There is a reason to have 6 receivers

2. Even without injuries they can be very useful on certain plays during a game if we go 5 wide, or use jet sweep action, or can create a mismatch with one of these guys

3. As some of the most athletic players on the team they can significantly help special teams without using an additional roster spot Most teams keep 6 WR some times even 7. Didn't we keep 7 two years ago? 

4. In this specific case, if you only care about this year then it doesn't matter. But Davis Hardman Cobb are all one year guys. Effectively all we have next year is Wilson and Lazard. So making sure we keep the best WRs is important because these guys could very well be receivers 3, 4 and 5 next year.

Personally, here is the way I see it.

We paid Brownlee so much as an UDFA that it seems difficult to see him not making the roster. If he really struggles in the remaining preseason games then can be a PS guy, but if he shows up I don't see him making it through waivers, especially if he gets focused on in Hard Knocks.  We already have that factor with Surrat who is basically assured a roster spot now after Episode 1.

If Xavier Gibson does well receiving punts and kickoffs he is getting a spot. He is a different style of receiver, apparently has great chemistry with Wilson in the 2s and having a good PR/KR is enough reason to make the team in and of itself.

Malik is a solid veteran type that coaches love and especially coaches like Saleh may choose the more known quality over someone with more upside like Gibson.

I keep coming back to Davis. He can be a solid 2 giving us 2 #2 receivers, but he has been injured a lot, and has the drops. He should have some trade value and would save quite a bit on the cap so I suspect we trade him before TC ends.

Cobb is obviously Rodgers best friend so he likely is on the team, but he can serve largely the same role just being on the PS. It makes his salary non-guaranteed and we can activate him several times and if/when a receiver goes down he can just be put on the 53 (or is it 54 now?)

So:

1. Wilson

2. Lazard

Trade Davis for a future pick. Maybe we could get a 4th.

3. Hardman

Cobb to P/S

4. Brownlee

5. Gibson

8. Malik or use the spot for Bawden or Kuntz

24 minutes ago, JohnnyLV said:

Here is why I disagree with this:

1. Injuries happen. There is a reason to have 6 receivers

Yes, for depth.  Like I said, if we end up having to play our depth players at WR, we're likely in deep trouble.

2. Even without injuries they can be very useful on certain plays during a game if we go 5 wide, or use jet sweep action, or can create a mismatch with one of these guys

Not really.  Just look back on past years, how did our #6 or #7 WR do in real games, if they ever got there? 

Exactly.  

3. As some of the most athletic players on the team they can significantly help special teams without using an additional roster spot Most teams keep 6 WR some times even 7. Didn't we keep 7 two years ago? 

Fine, pick the one who tackles best on specials.  

4. In this specific case, if you only care about this year then it doesn't matter.

To be clear, the JETS care about this year.  Saleh and JD's jobs are on the line, regardless of what homers might like to think.

If they fail to win, any potential #6 WR isn't going to matter, they'll be gone too when the new post-JD regime comes in, lol.

But Davis Hardman Cobb are all one year guys. Effectively all we have next year is Wilson and Lazard.

Which is why we should have drafted JSN instead of a rotational edge who might play 15% of the snaps this year, if he adapts to his new role in the NFL.  A top-level WR was IMO a bigger need.

So making sure we keep the best WRs is important because these guys could very well be receivers 3, 4 and 5 next year.

#6 or #7 UDFA WR's are almost never that good.  That's my point, you guys do this literally every year, talk up and obsess over some JAG.  They make one catch in a meaningless preseason game and some of you are convinced they're the next Jerry Rice, lol.  Inevitably they get cut in camp, or cut midseason off the P.S., and you all just move on to the next no-name UDFA to obsess over.  It's silly.  These are not meaningful players who will impact our season, they're just not.

Personally, here is the way I see it.

We paid Brownlee so much as an UDFA that it seems difficult to see him not making the roster.

$246K is pocket change.  It assures him of nothing.

If he really struggles in the remaining preseason games then can be a PS guy, but if he shows up I don't see him making it through waivers, especially if he gets focused on in Hard Knocks.  We already have that factor with Surrat who is basically assured a roster spot now after Episode 1.

"won't make it through waivers" is another mouldy oldy that gets said every year.

And every year most of these fringe guys make it through waivers and then don't get signed by anyone else till the following year's camps, if ever, lol.

If Xavier Gibson does well receiving punts and kickoffs he is getting a spot. He is a different style of receiver, apparently has great chemistry with Wilson in the 2s and having a good PR/KR is enough reason to make the team in and of itself.

Malik is a solid veteran type that coaches love and especially coaches like Saleh may choose the more known quality over someone with more upside like Gibson.

I keep coming back to Davis. He can be a solid 2 giving us 2 #2 receivers, but he has been injured a lot, and has the drops. He should have some trade value and would save quite a bit on the cap so I suspect we trade him before TC ends.

Cobb is obviously Rodgers best friend so he likely is on the team, but he can serve largely the same role just being on the PS. It makes his salary non-guaranteed and we can activate him several times and if/when a receiver goes down he can just be put on the 53 (or is it 54 now?)

So:

1. Wilson

2. Lazard

Trade Davis for a future pick. Maybe we could get a 4th.

3. Hardman

Cobb to P/S

4. Brownlee

5. Gibson

8. Malik or use the spot for Bawden or Kuntz

There is 0% chance the Jets are keeping Brownless, Gibson and Malik on the active roster, or putting Cobb on the P.S. ffs, lol, come one dude, I respect you alot more than this sillyness. 

You're gone full silly on these depth-tier JAG's, you never go full silly man, you know that!

I don't necessarily agree with any of this.  Part of the analysis in filling out your WR roster (aside from picking guys who will be good special teamers) is stashing receivers that have upside and can blossom into legitimate, starting NFL WRs in the future.  Yes there are plenty of Ataveus Cash's, but there are also some Robby Andersons, and better.  That's an important piece of roster building and as a fan it's fun to pay attention to.

18 minutes ago, nj meadowlands said:

I don't necessarily agree with any of this.  Part of the analysis in filling out your WR roster (aside from picking guys who will be good special teamers) is stashing receivers that have upside and can blossom into legitimate, starting NFL WRs in the future.  Yes there are plenty of Ataveus Cash's, but there are also some Robby Andersons, and better.  That's an important piece of roster building and as a fan it's fun to pay attention to.

Who are these "stashed" and then "blossoming" WR's that turn out so good using this supposed methodology? 

And how many of them blossom vs. amount to entirely nothing?

Robby Anderson was the #4 WR going into his rookie year (not #6 or #7), and was third on the team in targets that year (because Decker went down with injury) behind Brandon Marshall and Enunwa.  He was never a "stashed for later" guy.

Wayne Chrebet  was the Jets #1 receiver his rookie year (again, not #6 or #7), and was first on the team in targets that year.  That 1995 team was utterly bereft of WR talent beyond Chrebet (who actually remembers Charles Wilson and his 91 targets that year, because I sure don't!)

I'm honestly at a loss, who are all these #6 and #7 UDFA WR's just sitting around as depth or P.S. players for a year or few years, who blossom to become stars or big contributors? 

I can (with some research effort) name dozens of guys this forum and our fans THOUGHT were that kind of guy, and never were.

Again, every year, the same arguments, the same comments, the same silliness.  And every year, the same cuts, the same never-signed-again, future-in-the-USFL guys go where they go.

40 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Which is why we should have drafted JSN instead of a rotational edge who might play 15% of the snaps this year, if he adapts to his new role in the NFL.  A top-level WR was IMO a bigger need.

I could not possibly agree with this more. JSN was a complete layup at a bigger position of need. He also looked great yesterday in Seattle's game. I mean people are now discussing Huff because we have too many edges and in my "full silly" post I noted we really only have 2 QBs going into next year.

1 hour ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Cobb will be reliable in his niche role. He's not stretching a defense, he's not catching 9 TDs, he's not putting up 800+ yards.

He's going to be on the field on 4+ WR sets running shorter routes. Rodgers knows where he'll be, and if he works his way through to Cobb he isn't going to have miscommunication expecting him to run right when he ran left (or stopped), resulting in a pick that looks like a terrible pass but is really on the WR.

The idea that either kiddo is going to be that reliable target, in his first live NFL action, is wishful thinking. And yes, I wish it so, too. Yeah that and a $1 $17 toll will get me over the bridge. 

Pretty much this ^

1 hour ago, Sperm Edwards said:

100 yards, 3 TDs or 100 snaps.  One of these guys outside tbe top 5 will have that.