What Was The Cook Thing All About???

KRL

It's been two weeks since the whole Dalvin Cook tour took place.  But there
hasn't been a peep out of his camp since then, I mean he hasn't even visited
another team.  Were the Jets/Cook serious or were they trying to drive his
price up.  Very strange, the season is less than a month away

The whole thing is very odd. Cook had his visit and done nothing but interact with Jet fans/media the last month or so. He’s probably waiting for an injury or something and will sign with the Jets for less money if nothing comes up.

I stopped being interested the Cook saga a couple weeks ago but I could’ve sworn I saw something saying the Jets and Cook were 3m apart in negotiations this week 

My take -- I think Cook wants a feature back role and feature back/star money.

I don't think anyone is giving him that.

I think the Jets liked him as an insurance policy for Hall and to form a 1-2 combo with Hall at a reasonable price (think 1 year 6mm) and I don't think thats's what Cook wants.

I think he waits around for an injury.

• Upvote 4

5 minutes ago, KRL said:

Cook wants more money and to be a feature back... Now he is waiting to see if there are injuries before he commits... IMO

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

I think the Jets liked him as an insurance policy for Hall and to form a 1-2 combo with Hall at a reasonable price (think 1 year 6mm) and I don't think thats's what Cook wants.

If the Jets were foolish enough to offer that, he’d be a Jet right now. He’s currently getting a cold, hard dose of what the RB market actually looks like. 

I suspect he’s waiting on a RB1 injury about now. 

• Upvote 4

14 minutes ago, Reasonable Jets Fan said:

Cook wants more money and to be a feature back... Now he is waiting to see if there are injuries before he commits... IMO

Cook very  well could be waiting for a multiple year deal from someone rather than go through this crap every year like some backs have. Problem for him is he's not going to get that unless something catastrophic happens to another team. Douglas knows he can do just fine with Bam, Abanikanda(sp), and ******* Carter until Hall gets going Cook knows that as well.   

• Upvote 3

20 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

My take -- I think Cook wants a feature back role and feature back/star money.

I don't think anyone is giving him that.

I think he waits around for an injury.

This feels right.  A RB who thinks he is worth more, and should get more carries, than the current NFL market for RB can provide him.

7 minutes ago, slats said:

If the Jets were foolish enough to offer that, he’d be a Jet right now. He’s currently getting a cold, hard dose of what the RB market actually looks like. 

I suspect he’s waiting on a RB1 injury about now. 

That's exactly what he's waiting for. There are some teams out there, probably many, that are only 1 RB deep Cook will roll that dice and at the position of RB its probably a given someone will get hurt before the season starts. I think Cook knows he's now in the 5-7 mil range on salary the question is can he get 2 or 3 years from a team and that team will not be the Jets.

Ok.  I will do this one last time.  GMs and agents have relationships.  Joe D did Cooks camp a favor by bringing him in.

He did the same thing for Derek Carr last year.  Its a dog and pony show.

Jets have 0 interest in Dalvin Cook.  Sorry, less then 0 interest in him.

Running back is a strength of this team.  We have a superstar in breece hall who will be activated off PUP either this Monday or next.  He is full go and ready to carry the load.

We have a superstar in the making in Bam Knight who was on his way to proving this but got hurt last year and tried to play through it.

We have a good pass catching 3rd down back in MC.

And a young pup who has the potential to be elite when he physically matures in Izzy.

• More Ugh 2
  • Haha 1

If he is going to come down in price for anyone and onto a short term deal then the Jets are probably as good a landing spot as any if he wants to showcase his skills while collecting a pay check.  Time is not on his side.  I think it is unlikely but not as unlikely as Joe seems to think.

39 minutes ago, KRL said:

its called build-up for the hard knocks finale....

iykyk

• Upvote 1

Honestly, the reports of Bam looking legit has me thinking we don't need another back.  Let him carry the load until Breece is 100%.  Carter and Izzy should be good enough to hold down the fort, especially if the OL is healthy and our passing game is efficient - which is absolutely should be.  

Use that money an a Billy Turner replacement.

• Upvote 2

Could be multiple factors

1. He has off the field legal trouble, who knows what’s going on behind the scenes that might be preventing anyone from signing him until it’s fully resolved 

2. Teams have extensive film and know what Cook can provide at this time, why rush to sign him when you can give in camp reps to younger guys and see if you might not even need him

3. Cook could be waiting for a big injury to spike his value

4. Cook is overvaluing himself and waiting it out until he gets an offer he likes

5. He’s just not that good anymore and the hype behind his potential signing in the first place was all driven by his camp and the media

7 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

We have a superstar in the making in Bam Knight who was on his way to proving this but got hurt last year and tried to play through it.

I was watching a replay of the December Buffalo game I attended and what jumped out while doing so was Bam having some very nice runs and a score at the start of the 2nd half. I remember that series of plays gave a hopeful jolt to the team which had already lost Q and Cory Davis as well as Mike White eventually getting broken ribs from the beating he was taking.  

Knight was the leading rusher that day- 71 yards 4.2 avg while Carter had 5 yards 1.0 avg.  

Can't wait for week 1!

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Legend Killa7 said:

that's what happens when you think you're worth 3x what you are being offered....

His agent should read the tea leaves and explain it to him.

They are gambling on an injury driving up his value, but as it gets closer to season other players may seize their opportunities.   I m heading Izzy is running well and that could temper the desire to add Cook as time goes by.   Bam is running well too.

• Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, Jetkwondo said:

I was watching a replay of the December Buffalo game I attended and what jumped out while doing so was Bam having some very nice runs and a score at the start of the 2nd half. I remember that series of plays gave a hopeful jolt to the team which had already lost Q and Cory Davis as well as Mike White eventually getting broken ribs from the beating he was taking.  

Knight was the leading rusher that day- 71 yards 4.2 avg while Carter had 5 yards 1.0 avg.  

Can't wait for week 1!

Yup.  Bam then got hurt the following week vs detroit and was never the same the rest of the year.  Now he is healthy and back to form.

• Upvote 1