What Was The Cook Thing All About???

KRL

1 hour ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Ok.  I will do this one last time.  GMs and agents have relationships.  Joe D did Cooks camp a favor by bringing him in.

He did the same thing for Derek Carr last year.  Its a dog and pony show.

Jets have 0 interest in Dalvin Cook.  Sorry, less then 0 interest in him.

Running back is a strength of this team.  We have a superstar in breece hall who will be activated off PUP either this Monday or next.  He is full go and ready to carry the load.

We have a superstar in the making in Bam Knight who was on his way to proving this but got hurt last year and tried to play through it.

We have a good pass catching 3rd down back in MC.

And a young pup who has the potential to be elite when he physically matures in Izzy.

image.gif.84db21942536890fe30fa9028ff1306c.gif

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Reasonable Jets Fan said:

Cook wants more money and to be a feature back... Now he is waiting to see if there are injuries before he commits... IMO

Just what does that feature back moniker mean? It’s kinda likeno1 receiver but there is more separation between receivers than backs.  I think the jets just ought to say they’ll play the guy with the hot hand.  I doubt if they’re going going to try and run hall for no gain on three downs without thinking about using carter or whomever.

• Upvote 1

RB position is one of the easiest positions to implement into an offense. We saw CMC get like 60-70% of the touches in a game where he had only been on the team for 2-3 days last year. Cook probably has a few offers on the table but none of them are for a lead back position and are probably lower offers than what he’s wanting to work for. He can afford to wait this out and see if a big name goes down. Can probably wait until there is a week or two left in the preseason before he was to make his move. I’d like to see him here, take some early half reps while hall gets healthy but he’s clearly looking for the money. Can’t imagine he’s hurting himself by waiting and can’t really fault him either. His career is winding down, can’t blame him for trying to maximize his earnings while he still can.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, KRL said:

It's been two weeks since the whole Dalvin Cook tour took place.  But there
hasn't been a peep out of his camp since then, I mean he hasn't even visited
another team.  Were the Jets/Cook serious or were they trying to drive his
price up.  Very strange, the season is less than a month away

I think his visit was legit. But we gave him way less than he thought he’s worth. And that’s why he’s done nothing. He’s likely waiting for a starting RB to get injured and seeing if a team gets desperate. Showing it’s about money. Not winning.

If it was about winning. He’d be a Jet already. 

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, slats said:

If the Jets were foolish enough to offer that, he’d be a Jet right now. He’s currently getting a cold, hard dose of what the RB market actually looks like. 

I suspect he’s waiting on a RB1 injury about now. 

I mean the guys on the franchise tag are making 10mm+. I’d guess that’s what Cook wants (and isn’t getting.)

RB market has “cratered” in that nobody is getting long term deals but Barkley, Jacobs etc are on the tag. I’d bet 6mm is the realistic range for what the Jets would do.

4 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

I mean the guys on the franchise tag are making 10mm+. I’d guess that’s what Cook wants (and isn’t getting.)

RB market has “cratered” in that nobody is getting long term deals but Barkley, Jacobs etc are on the tag. I’d bet 6mm is the realistic range for what the Jets would do.

This may be where the “$3M apart” narrative comes from because I don’t think they’d offer half of that. I don’t think anyone has, not before incentives, anyway. 

2 minutes ago, slats said:

This may be where the “$3M apart” narrative comes from because I don’t think they’d offer half of that. I don’t think anyone has, not before incentives, anyway. 

If the Jets wouldn’t offer 3mm I don’t see why they’d even bring him in. That’s “JAG” money. And while I personally worry he’s a JAG at this stage in his career I don’t think that gets it done, although a deal with significant incentives/escalators is probably the sweet spot for him.

My guess is he is waiting for a star RB to go down. 

this saves wear and tear on his body. This gives him more leverage in contract talks. Maybe he just hates camp. Strahan faked 2 holdouts at the end of his career to skip 2 a days lol. 

On 8/12/2023 at 7:46 AM, UntouchableCrew said:

If the Jets wouldn’t offer 3mm I don’t see why they’d even bring him in. That’s “JAG” money. And while I personally worry he’s a JAG at this stage in his career I don’t think that gets it done, although a deal with significant incentives/escalators is probably the sweet spot for him.

I’d bet that they had a contract value in mind and conveyed that to Cook prior to his visit.   Why bring him in if they are miles apart in negotiations?   Maybe Cook thought they’d improve the offer after his visit but they held firm and he is still looking for a better offer.   I think his value starts to decline if he doesn’t get a deal soon.   I’d be concerned with integrating him into a new offense and also him getting hurt because he isn’t in football shape.

15 minutes ago, playtowinthegame said:

Someone was saying both Zeke and Cook know where they are signing, however, they're in no rush to be at training camp.

I think Cook will be a Jet in a week, then perhaps Michael Carter gets traded.

Who is trading a pick for Carter when they can sign Cook, Elliott, Hunt, or Fournette without giving up a pick and pay less this week than last and even less next week than now?  If Carter is so valuable (and he is right now), why trade him?  Because he couldn't run well last season with an injured leg, a patchwork OL and no QB? 

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 1

On 8/11/2023 at 4:18 PM, Joe W. Namath said:

We have a superstar in the making in Bam Knight who was on his way to proving this but got hurt last year and tried to play through it.

I agree wholeheartedly about the pertinent stuff - Jets not taking the Cook look very seriously and what Hall means to the Jets.

But do you really think Bam is a superstar in the making? I like him but don't exactly sense he'll be a leaguewide sensation. Is this a personal take or do many fans feel this way? 

2 minutes ago, sackdance said:

I agree wholeheartedly about the pertinent stuff - Jets not taking the Cook look very seriously and what Hall means to the Jets.

But do you really think Bam is a superstar in the making? I like him but don't exactly sense he'll be a leaguewide sensation. Is this a personal take or do many fans feel this way? 

Probably personal take.  Lets see when he gets carries this year.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, sackdance said:

None of Carter, Knight and Abanikanda are likely "superstars."  But Carter is clearly good enough to play well in a major role in a committee at the pro level (as he did in 2021).  Let's not forget that some people (NFL media and fans) were criticizing the Jets for drafting Hall with Carter on the roster and many thought they be in a committee all season.  All three combined are pro level backs that can spell  Hall for a number of games.  

• Upvote 1

Cook seems really interested in getting to Miami. Most likely the meeting in NY was intended to give Cook the appearance of interest. For Douglas and Saleh I don't think there was real interest; they probably met briefly to see what he thinks he's worth and what he thinks he brings to the table in case he ends up in Miami or ends up a FA and they need an RB mid-season. 

1 hour ago, rex-n-effect said:

Cook seems really interested in getting to Miami. Most likely the meeting in NY was intended to give Cook the appearance of interest. For Douglas and Saleh I don't think there was real interest; they probably met briefly to see what he thinks he's worth and what he thinks he brings to the table in case he ends up in Miami or ends up a FA and they need an RB mid-season. 

Cook wants two things and the Jets can't/won't give him either (unless Hall will miss most of the season) - a relatively big contract over two seasons and a defined role as a lead back.  That is why he is waiting.  

5 minutes ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

Cook wants two things and the Jets can't/won't give him either (unless Hall will miss most of the season) - a relatively big contract over two seasons and a defined role as a lead back.  That is why he is waiting.  

When Cook signs with the Jets you'll be like Facts after Quinnen Williams got the bag from the Jets. 

• WTF? 1

On 8/11/2023 at 5:18 PM, Barton said:

3 mill apart. Big whoop. Christ, just get it done. 

ryan reynolds hd GIF

I get that its preseason and all but I see no reason why Ibanikanda can't provide some of that "big play upside" that Dalvin would for a much, much cheaper price.

If Cook is even capable of "big plays" in 2023, which is a big if anyways.

1 hour ago, playtowinthegame said:

When Cook signs with the Jets you'll be like Facts after Quinnen Williams got the bag from the Jets. 

If Cook signs with the Jets, my thoughts that he won't be signed will be wrong.  And if Cook comes here and plays often and well and is a key factor in a playoff season, I'll be wrong again.  If Cook isn't signed, you will be wrong.  And if Cook isn't signed and the Jets RB perform well, you will be wrong about that too.  And if Cook is signed for big money and doesn't play better than Carter and Izzy and then gives way to Hall after 3-4 games and finishes with 100 or so touches , you will be wrong again.  Will you admit that if any of those scenarios happen?

• More Ugh 1

1 hour ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

If Cook signs with the Jets, my thoughts that he won't be signed will be wrong.  And if Cook comes here and plays often and well and is a key factor in a playoff season, I'll be wrong again.  If Cook isn't signed, you will be wrong.  And if Cook isn't signed and the Jets RB perform well, you will be wrong about that too.  And if Cook is signed for big money and doesn't play better than Carter and Izzy and then gives way to Hall after 3-4 games and finishes with 100 or so touches , you will be wrong again.  Will you admit that if any of those scenarios happen?

You'll be wrong and then you will be bitter about it. 

1 hour ago, playtowinthegame said:

You'll be wrong and then you will be bitter about it. 

I won't be bitter if I'm wrong other than Cook being signed for a significant amount of money and/or for two years and then not performing or being outperformed by a player on the roster or not being used.  If he is signed and helps the Jets to the playoffs, I'm happy to be wrong (unlike many people who post here and prefer to be right rather than watch Jets wins).  

1 hour ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

I won't be bitter if I'm wrong other than Cook being signed for a significant amount of money and/or for two years and then not performing or being outperformed by a player on the roster or not being used.  If he is signed and helps the Jets to the playoffs, I'm happy to be wrong (unlike many people who post here and prefer to be right rather than watch Jets wins).  

Who?

wizard of oz dorothy GIF