Carolina: 1st Half Observations

1. DL is good
2. JJ is much faster off the snap.  Looks stronger.  Multiple positive plays vs run & pass including half sack, hit on Young, forced penalty 
3. Huff:  I counted 3 pressures (against starters) + half sack (on backup)
4. McDonald with a great rip move on the sack.  Would like to see him get faster off the snap
5. Solomon Thomas (QB hit) and Quinton Jefferson (sack) both flashed
6. Echols has looked very good in coverage this preseason, notwithstanding a couple dumb penalties (only 1 in coverage)
7. If the Jets are serious about the run game, then they should pound it behind Becton & Ruckert.  My lord, both are nasty run blockers!!!  Becton moves people
8. Staying on Becton, an absolute flawless first half except for allowing someone to split him and the guard when he needed to pass him off.  Watch the tape!!  Flawless outside that 1 play
9. Colon with a poor read on a blitz, allowing a free runner to Zach
10. McGovern with a drive killing trip after getting beat
11. Bad drop from Taylor on perfect throw from Wilson thru traffic
12. Abanikanda plays fast, mostly a good thing but needs to slow down at times to let the play develop or set the defender up
13.  Good job by the kickers.  Z in particular 
14. Mixed bag from Zach Wilson.  Some good throws, some bad.  Threw high to Bam, killing a drive and setting the RB up for a clean hit to the ribs.  Happy to see him calmly go thru his reads.  Not happy to continue to see issues on ball placement
15. First and second team OLines played well.  Mitchell and Nelson did their jobs and the interiors created some nice passing & running lanes.  Important to note that Burns did not play
16. Good playcalling by Hackett.  Had Carolina off balance and gave Wilson some easy ones
17. One more time, near flawless half from Becton.  Would like to see him play thru the whistle at times.  Stay aggressive

Thanks for the excellent wrap-up!

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Upvote 4

5 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

One bad pass that still could have been caught.  Guy has to hit on every pass or else.  There was the pass to Bam, the pass Taylor dropped and Charles dropped and still was 14-20 120 or so yards.  They’ve scored on 5 of of the 8 or so drives he’s been in.  We’re going to complain after last season?

Wow, how did I complain?  It was a fair evaluation, there was some good and some bad.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

3 minutes ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

Wow, how did I complain?  It was a fair evaluation, there was some good and some bad.

Every QB has good and bad plays - he was 70% (albeit a lot of dump offs), no turnovers, and a TD playing in a simple scheme.

I also thought you gave the OL more props than it deserves - there were several plays where linemen came in unblocked.

3 minutes ago, LIJetsFan said:

Ok, so Zack is starting to look a little better.  Good for him/us.  Still to soon for me to become a believer but I'll take it.  

Go Jets!

Agreed - not a believer, but all he can do is improve - sure beats not improving or regressing. Not ready to anoint him a starter even if Aaron wasn't here, but decent progress.

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, bostonmajet said:

Every QB has good and bad plays - he was 70% (albeit a lot of dump offs), no turnovers, and a TD playing in a simple scheme.

I also thought you gave the OL more props than it deserves - there were several plays where linemen came in unblocked.

Thought I mentioned those, Becton allowing someone to split him and Colon and Colon missing the blitz read

I did not think Zach played very well.  There was some good and some continued red flags.  Sorry if that upsets you 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

34 minutes ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

14. Mixed bag from Zach Wilson.  Some good throws, some bad.  Threw high to Bam, killing a drive and setting the RB up for a clean hit to the ribs.  Happy to see him calmly go thru his reads.  Not happy to continue to see issues on ball placement

One bad pass that still could have been caught.  Guy has to hit on every pass or else.  There was the pass to Bam, the pass Taylor dropped and Charles dropped and still was 14-20 120 or so yards.  They’ve scored on 5 of of the 8 or so drives he’s been in.  We’re going to complain after last season?

• Upvote 2

21 minutes ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

Mixed bag is a complaint when I see a review of a QB, no?

Have no idea what was bad, no one is perfect on every pass, there are players playing D.  He was 14 of 20 and at least 3 drops.  

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, bostonmajet said:

There was a pressure play up the middle where he was hit as he threw inc and one around the right side where he was forced to try and throw around a DL, also inc.  Two inc. that may not be on him.  Happens.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

Mixed bag is a complaint when I see a review of a QB, no?

Have no idea what was bad, no one is perfect on every pass, there are players playing D.  He was 14 of 20 and at least 3 drops.  

Very few completions to wideouts 

Bad throw at a glance to Lazard on an out type route.  Tough to tell if he threw it away with the corner closing fast

Double clutch inaccurate side arm throw to Conklin.  Guy was open, even if he would have been well short of the first

Inaccurate throw to Ruckert on play accurate that Ruckert needed to extend full for.  Wound up being a catch but that’s an easy one that Zach made a little more difficult than it needed to be

Horrible footwork on his TD throw.  A bit low, again a little more difficult than it needs to be

All that said, there was also a lot to like.  A couple great throws into traffic, some smart check downs that were well timed, no signs of happy feet and a nice throw into the end zone to Hardman.

Im rooting for the kid!  But I’m evaluating with a critical eye, not his stat sheet.  

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

Very few completions to wideouts 

Bad throw at a glance to Lazard on an out type route.  Tough to tell if he threw it away with the corner closing fast

Double clutch inaccurate side arm throw to Conklin.  Guy was open, even if he would have been well short of the first

Inaccurate throw to Ruckert on play fake that Ruckert needed to extend full for.  Wound up being a catch but that’s an easy one that Zach made a little more difficult than it needed to be

Horrible footwork on his TD throw.  A bit low, again a little more difficult than it needs to be

All that said, there was also a lot to like.  A couple great throws into traffic, some smart check downs that were well timed, no signs of happy feet and a nice throw into the end zone to Hardman.

Im rooting for the kid!  But I’m evaluating with a critical eye, not his stat sheet.  

Glad to see you weren’t complaining. Lol

He was pressured on at least 2 of his incompletions.  Look at the Conklin miss, he was under duress.  He had 3 drops.  He was 14 of 20.  That’s complaining.   He put up 20 in the 1st half.  I’d take all of it if it were Rodgers in there.  He looked deep a few times, wasn’t there and he checked down, improvement from forcing the deep ball.  

Interesting to me was on the TD he threw exactly the way Rodgers does, there was nothing wrong with his footwork.  He gave it that Rodgers sidearmish throw.  

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Glad to see you weren’t complaining. Lol

He was pressured on at least 2 of his incompletions.  Look at the Conklin miss, he was under duress.  He had 3 drops.  He was 14 of 20.  That’s complaining.   He put up 20 in the 1st half.  I’d take all of it if it were Rodgers in there.  He looked deep a few times, wasn’t there and he checked down, improvement from forcing the deep ball.  

Interesting to me was on the TD he threw exactly the way Rodgers does, there was nothing wrong with his footwork.  He gave it that Rodgers sidearmish throw.  

I’m not complaining.  I’m answering a question you asked that went into my evaluation.  There was a lot to like and still quite a bit to continue to improve on.  I’m judging him based on where he needs to get to.  That said, I like his progress.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

I’m not complaining.  I’m answering a question you asked that went into my evaluation.  There was a lot to like and still quite a bit to continue to improve on.  I’m judging him based on where he needs to get to.  That said, I like his progress.

I think your evaluation was spot on. Good job. 

• Upvote 1

I thought Zach played the best that I have seen him play. I think he has a lot more to do but he seemed relaxed and in control of the offense all night. He made one very bad throw but for the most part he was on the money. He was able to change arm angles to complete tight throws around defenders and looked like Rodgers on that touchdown pass. Anyone that can’t see improvement is because they don’t want to. I am cautiously optimistic.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Joejet said:

I thought Zach played the best that I have seen him play. I think he has a lot more to do but he seemed relaxed and in control of the offense all night. He made one very bad throw but for the most part he was on the money. He was able to change arm angles to complete tight throws around defenders and looked like Rodgers on that touchdown pass. Anyone that can’t see improvement is because they don’t want to. I am cautiously optimistic.

Who is saying there isn’t improvement?  There is

2 hours ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

1. DL is good

2. JJ is much faster off the snap.  Looks stronger.  Multiple positive plays vs run & pass including half sack, hit on Young, forced penalty 

4. McDonald with a great rip move on the sack.  Would like to see him get faster off the snap

6. Echols has looked very good in coverage this preseason, notwithstanding a couple dumb penalties (only 1 in coverage)

7. If the Jets are serious about the run game, then they should pound it behind Becton & Ruckert.  My lord, both are nasty run blockers!!!  Becton moves people

8. Staying on Becton, an absolute flawless first half except for allowing someone to split him and the guard when he needed to pass him off.  Watch the tape!!  Flawless outside that 1 play

12. Abanikanda plays fast, mostly a good thing but needs to slow down at times to let the play develop or set the defender up

15. First and second team OLines played well.  Mitchell and Nelson did their jobs and the interiors created some nice passing & running lanes.  Important to note that Burns did not play

16. Good playcalling by Hackett.  Had Carolina off balance and gave Wilson some easy ones

17. One more time, near flawless half from Becton.  Would like to see him play thru the whistle at times.  Stay aggressive

Agree with basically everything. Keep doing these 🫡

My comment would be that I think the Jets (not caring what the score would be) just wanted to go out and evaluate the RBs and run blocking, and the TEs, and were not interested in throwing down the field.

I think they are likely surprised (and elated) that pretty much everyone stepped up in the game.

I don't think they were trying to evaluate Zach outside of seeing what he would do with all the short passes and screens and in my view he had has best ever game at those things.

I think the Jets should be out of the Cook signing after this performance, and TE is absolutely brutal. Yeboah is clearly improved, and Kuntz I think is playing WAY about his scouting report. He is actually a GOOD blocker and he was supposed to not even have the skill.

The way they handled Xavier Gibson makes me think he is close to wrapping up a roster spot.

• Upvote 3

9 hours ago, 56mehl56 said:

Probably only because AR knows Taylor, otherwise imo  Brownlee has the upper ceiling  ,

Gipson (sp?) was returning punts.

The practice reports on Brownlee have been great but he’s been less than a JAG in the 2 preseason games.  He needs to show something to make things difficult on the coaches.  There is only the 6th spot open and unless he shows something, they won’t consider dropping Cobb 

On 8/12/2023 at 5:45 PM, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

1. DL is good

Zack has been much better with short passes in these 2 preseason games.

9 hours ago, Hal said:

Gipson (sp?) was returning punts.

The practice reports on Brownlee have been great but he’s been less than a JAG in the 2 preseason games.  He needs to show something to make things difficult on the coaches.  There is only the 6th spot open and unless he shows something, they won’t consider dropping Cobb 

He's had 3 "drops" all on contested passes one which should have been PI.