Stock Rising / Stock Falling vs Panthers (In My Humble Opinion)

1 hour ago, Sarge4Tide said:

Who's stock is headed up and who's stock is heading down after the Jets preseason win over  the Panther

STOCK RISING

1. Zach Wilson QB - Played a solid game and definitely looked smoother and more confident
  2. Tim Boyle QB - 1 bad throw but did about as well as could be expected from your #3 QB overall - he could run the offense at a basic level in an emergency
  3. Michael Carter RB - Looked like the "old" Michael Carter
  4. Israel Abanikanda RB - Definitely a promising performance
  5. Xavier Gibson WR / KR - Looked smooth returning punts, made some good decisions, worked in with the 2nd unit some at WR
  6. Malik Taylor WR - Caught a pass, played a lot on special teams
  7. Zach Kuntz TE - Caught a TD, had another catch, did some nice blocking - you could see the potential
  8. Kenny Yeboah TE - core special teams player, caught a couple of passes - you gotta like him - gonna be hard for him to make the 53 man roster, though
  9. Joe Tippmann C - Another really solid game
  10. Mekhi Becton OT - Played a lot, did some really good things.  Not all the way back, but a step in the right direction
  11. Greg Senat OT - 2 games in a row he played well - like last week, you could see the athleticism that makes him an interesting player
  12. Quentin Jefferson DT - played really well and looked liked a guy who could be counted on to play meaningful snaps in the regular season
  13. Deslin Alexandre DE - UDFA out of Pitt had a sack and generally looked really good
  14. Zaire Barnes LB - Rookie  LB Looked really good for the 2nd game in a row
  15. Caleb Johnson LB - UDFA LB had 4 tackles and was always around the ball - he has a Practice Squad spot as of right now, I think
  16. Trey Dean S - To me, he's the better of the 2 good UDFA safeties - Dean & Marquis Waters

STOCK FALLING

1. Nick Bawden FB - He's a tough guy and does some good things, but is probably battling a group of talented TEs for a roster spot
  2. Bam Knight RB - Hey, we all like him, but with Carter and Abanikanda looking good, Knight looked very average 
  3. Jason Brownlee WR - 2 games in and he hasn't been BAD, but hasn't displayed the play that turned heads in training camp, I don't think he's even on the Practice Squad right now
  4. Irvin Charles WR - Seems to have been passed by Taylor in the race for the last WR Spot
  5. Alex Erickson WR - I like the guy but he ran with the 3rd team WRs and didn't get a chance to return any kicks - not a promising sign
  6. Trystan Colon G - Played a lot and for the 2nd week in a row, just didn't seem effective or particularly athletic - will probably battle underrated Chris Glaser for a Practice Squad Spot
  7. Tanzel Smart DT - He did okay, but there's a lot more competition on the DL this year.  Didn't stand out against the Panther's 2nd/3rd string
  8. Jimmy Moreland CB - Yes, he had an interception right at the end, but otherwise looked very mediocre with poor tackling effort

Boyle threw a good ball. Receiver stopped his route.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

To add to/steal from Sarge’s list:

Winners—

1. The Saleh Vision for this defense: When he first got here, he looked like a dipsh*t for trying to run that Niners defense without Nick Bosa, Fred Warner, or any viable safeties, but you can see it coming together now that they’ve thrown a ton of resources at the EDGE spots. If McDonald, Johnson, Huff, and Lawson can produce pressures at a high level, that’s probably worth four(?) wins all by itself inside our division, where nobody has any viable OTs. I didn’t even notice who was starting at the corner spots because the pass rush made them immaterial. Now imagine pairing that DL (with Quinnen Williams) with Sauce and Reed? It took balls to make that WMD pick and he’s been really promising since day one. 

2. Zach: Look, Zach stinks, but you can see that Rodgers and this regime has him playing with some discipline in the pocket, and Rodgers has taught him that weird little bolero release that’ll speed up Zach’s process a little bit. The goal has to be to get Zach to that Alex Smith level of play where he’s producing a zero EPA and simply not killing drives all by himself. He’s playing freely because he has no pressure on him, so he’s not doing that stupid Mahomes impression that results in 18 yard losses on scrambles. Will this change if he’s tasked with carrying the team for a month? Probably. But, until then, good for him for not cocking it up out there. 

3. Michael Carter: He looked shot all last year, but showed some juice tonight. He’s the guy whose job is most in jeopardy if they sign Cook, so maybe he’s got a little fire under his ass. 

4. The backup ILB group: Douglas has prioritized speed with these picks and signings, and dudes like Barnes, Vigil, and Surrat have flashed. It’s going to be an important group because 1. Mosley is slow as sh*t and 2. None of the projected top-5 receivers or CBs play special teams, so Douglas needs to populate other position groups with fast, hostile, expendable guys, and doing that at ILB is bonus territory. 

LOSERS:

1. Jeremy Ruckert: We all love the idea of Ruckert, but he hasn’t shown enough in camp to supplant Uzomah or Conklin, and now he has an AC joint issue, which could keep him out for awhile (or longer if Douglas wants to free up a roster spot for a while). 

2. The receiver group: It’s preseason, there’s been protection issues, and they’re playing with Zach Wilson and Tim Boyle, but the receivers haven’t been given much chance to shine as yet. Even in camp, it sounds like Rodgers is playing with a select group (Lazard, Davis, Wilson, Cobb/Hardman) and everyone else is left to fend for scraps. As excited as we were about Brownlee, he’s a likely practice squad refugee already after his drops against the Browns. I guess Malik takes the WR6 job because he plays specials and Rodgers likes him. I would have like to have seen Erickson be given more of a chance because he’s a plus special teamer with return ability, but he looks frozen out. In a perfect world, Douglas is able to finesse another veteran receiver onto the roster who’s good in contested catch situations, because neither Lazard or Davis can be counted on in those scenarios, and Rodgers isn’t averse to putting his receivers into contested catch situations. 

3. Becton: Whatever’s going on with Becton has to be sorted out quickly because it’s going to come to a point where either Saleh pushes Becton to play with a knee he’s not 100% comfortable with or Becton gets fed up with running with the threes while Billy Turner is eating up his snaps. Either he can be the LT1 or they have to have a deep conversation about his future prospects with the ballclub. 

Nice post.  Some points I didn't really think of, but just to nitpick. . .

Echols plays plenty of specials.  I think Hall does too, though I question if he is top 5 CB at this point.  I really thought that Hardman played plenty of specials, but I guess that I was wrong. 

• Upvote 3

20 minutes ago, Sarge4Tide said:

You have to figure Ruckert and Kuntz, probably, will handle the few fullback snaps we’ll see this season - we saw Yeboah lined up at FB for 1 play today

I sure hope that you're right, because I think it would be criminal to keep Bawden and have to cut either Gipson, Yeboah, or Brownlee because of that.  Hackett likes to use a FB and Bawden has been a big part of the offense in TC.  I haven't seen the game yet. I thought it was on at 8:00 and I missed it.  There are several replays over the next 3-4 days, so I will see it.  What did Bawden do wrong today?

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, JKlecko said:

I sure hope that you're right, because I think it would be criminal to keep Bawden and have to cut either Gipson, Yeboah, or Brownlee because of that.  Hackett likes to use a FB and Bawden has been a big part of the offense in TC.  I haven't seen the game yet. I thought it was on at 8:00 and I missed it.  There are several replays over the next 3-4 days, so I will see it.  What did Bawden do wrong today?

He didn’t do anything wrong but was only used on a couple of plays.

• Upvote 2

19 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

3. Becton: Whatever’s going on with Becton has to be sorted out quickly because it’s going to come to a point where either Saleh pushes Becton to play with a knee he’s not 100% comfortable with or Becton gets fed up with running with the threes while Billy Turner is eating up his snaps. Either he can be the LT1 or they have to have a deep conversation about his future prospects with the ballclub. 

I'm just asking - why do people assume an old dude like Duane Brown, who had major surgery in the offseason and who hasn't played a single snap of football in nearly 9 months, is capable of sliding into the LT1 role and protecting the blind side of our most valuable player?  Unless Becton is tapping out, shouldn't he be given the reps with the 1's?  And, if he's given those reps, does his knee all of a sudden become more "comfortable"?  

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

4 hours ago, T0mShane said:

To add to/steal from Sarge’s list:

Winners—

1. The Saleh Vision for this defense: When he first got here, he looked like a dipsh*t for trying to run that Niners defense without Nick Bosa, Fred Warner, or a decent safety, but you can see it coming together now that they’ve thrown a ton of resources at the EDGE spots. If McDonald, Johnson, Huff, and Lawson can produce pressures at a high level, that’s probably worth four(?) wins all by itself inside our division, where nobody has any viable OTs. I didn’t even notice who was starting at the corner spots because the pass rush made them immaterial. Now imagine pairing that DL (with Quinnen Williams) with Sauce and Reed? It took balls to make that WMD pick and he’s been really promising since day one. 

2. Zach: Look, Zach stinks, but you can see that Rodgers and this regime has him playing with some discipline in the pocket, and Rodgers has taught him that weird little bolero release that’ll speed up Zach’s process a little bit. The goal has to be to get Zach to that Alex Smith level of play where he’s producing a zero EPA and simply not killing drives all by himself. He’s playing freely because he has no pressure on him, so he’s not doing that stupid Mahomes impression that results in 18 yard losses on scrambles. Will this change if he’s tasked with carrying the team for a month? Probably. But, until then, good for him for not cocking it up out there. 

3. Michael Carter: He looked shot all last year, but showed some juice tonight. He’s the guy whose job is most in jeopardy if they sign Cook, so maybe he’s got a little fire under his ass. 

4. The backup ILB group: Douglas has prioritized speed with these picks and signings, and dudes like Barnes, Vigil, and Surrat have flashed. It’s going to be an important group because 1. Mosley is slow as sh*t and 2. None of the projected top-5 receivers or CBs play special teams, so Douglas needs to populate other position groups with fast, hostile, expendable guys, and doing that at ILB is bonus territory. 

LOSERS:

1. Jeremy Ruckert: We all love the idea of Ruckert, but he hasn’t shown enough in camp to supplant Uzomah or Conklin, and now he has an AC joint issue, which could keep him out for awhile (or longer if Douglas wants to free up a roster spot for a while). 

2. The receiver group: It’s preseason, there’s been protection issues, and they’re playing with Zach Wilson and Tim Boyle, but the receivers haven’t been given much chance to shine as yet. Even in camp, it sounds like Rodgers is playing with a select group (Lazard, Davis, Wilson, Cobb/Hardman) and everyone else is left to fend for scraps. As excited as we were about Brownlee, he’s a likely practice squad refugee already after his drops against the Browns. I guess Malik takes the WR6 job because he plays specials and Rodgers likes him. I would have like to have seen Erickson be given more of a chance because he’s a plus special teamer with return ability, but he looks frozen out. In a perfect world, Douglas is able to finesse another veteran receiver onto the roster who’s good in contested catch situations, because neither Lazard or Davis can be counted on in those scenarios, and Rodgers isn’t averse to putting his receivers into contested catch situations. 

Sign Jamarco Jones to start at RT and AVT starts at LT

• Upvote 2

The OTs looked better this week, I thought. Billy Turner was fairly solid on the left. Mitchell was OK on the right, but is still over-reaching and getting overpowered at times. He looked better as a rookie. Maybe he is still to get fully healthy.

Assuming Brown gets back and is ready to play, I feel better that we can get solid RT play from Turner, allowing Mitchell to back up and continue to work on his strength.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, T0mShane said:

1. Mosley is slow as sh*t

With not even a whisper coming out on 1JD  are we really going to be paying Mosley $17,000,000 this year with a $21.5m Cap Hit?

I’d like to see him play in next week’s game and see his true value on the field and especially in coverage.

• Ugh 1