Stock Rising / Stock Falling vs Panthers (In My Humble Opinion)

The bawden scorecard 

set the edge, A

got blown up, F

lead into the hole, knight cut inside B

got initially jacked, and recovered to put  put a DE on his back B

seal block on DE , B

split wide, whiffs on a screen block, D

I thought he made a second mistake, like a penalty but I was wrong. Overall pretty good.  

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, peekskill68 said:

I'm just asking - why do people assume an old dude like Duane Brown, who had major surgery in the offseason and who hasn't played a single snap of football in nearly 9 months, is capable of sliding into the LT1 role and protecting the blind side of our most valuable player?  Unless Becton is tapping out, shouldn't he be given the reps with the 1's?  And, if he's given those reps, does his knee all of a sudden become more "comfortable"?  

Unless there’s some Hoosiers-like “my team is on the floor” scheme to motivate Becton to get healthy, it really looks like Saleh is going to stick Brown out there come hell or high water. I think Brown cemented his place on this team when he played through a bad rotator cuff at the end of last year. Becton might have the talent, but if they can’t rely on him to play through injury, it’s probably a net negative to roll him out there at all. Bouncing in and out of the lineup screws everyone else up.

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Unless there’s some Hoosiers-like “my team is on the floor” scheme to motivate Becton to get healthy, it really looks like Saleh is going to stick Brown out there come hell or high water. I think Brown cemented his place on this team when he played through a bad rotator cuff at the end of last year. Becton might have the talent, but if they can’t rely on him to play through injury, it’s probably a net negative to roll him out there at all. Bouncing in and out of the lineup screws everyone else up.

I agree Saleh is all in on Duane Brown if he can walk, lol.

I think that if he continues to progress, Becton is going to be the first game starter at RT.

13 minutes ago, Jethead said:

I agree Saleh is all in on Duane Brown if he can walk, lol.

I think that if he continues to progress, Becton is going to be the first game starter at RT.

Eh. I don’t think Becton wants to play RT, and he’s got a semi-legitimate excuse to avoid it if he’s afraid of his knee, and I think he’d be practicing there if there were real thoughts about letting him play RT. Becton is playing for a contract, and he’s probably better off backing up at LT and not seeing the field this year than he is trying to play RT and nuking his knee again. At least he can sell himself as a young player at a premium position who’s rehabbed for two years

For the standouts were…

Bryce Huff and JJ off the edge. Looked like they could get to the QB at will. The defense as a whole looked great (obviously since we shut them out). But they stood out to me.

On offense the standouts for me were Izzy and Carter. Carter catching the ball and Izzy running. Tippman with another good game as well. I’d like to see him start to get starting reps in practice. He’s doing everything he should to earn a starting spot. Wilson looked ok. No wow moments. But no idiotic passes either. His long pass to Hardman very well could’ve been a TD if it was a WR with better ball skills out there. No WRs impressed me yesterday. We have GW so im not worried. But what we have after those 2 is worrisome for me. Lazard, Davis and Hardman just aren’t making noise in camp.

• Upvote 2

Kind of have mixed feelings about the OP.  Most of it I agreed with.  However,  ...

Thought IV did a nice job and was worthy of a shout out.

Given Becton's recovery thought he did well.  Even with one or two bad positioning reps.

I am not happy with the free agent TEs.  Actually, cannot stand them.  Like the younger guys.  Even Ruckert.

19, despite being hit on the numbers and not catching the ball recovered nicely and had some good plays.  Rookie WRs need a bit of time to adjust.  Even more so when they are exposed to 4 new QBs in practice.  Not everyone can be a GW.

10 hours ago, David Harris said:

Zach didn’t complete a pass beyond four yards from the line of scrimmage

The overthrow to Anikanda in the flat. The weird sidearm to Conklin that missed. Drive killers. Also didn’t lead Hardman enough in the end zone- he had a step.

Good who cares Mike White did the same thing no pass over 4 yards for 400 yards vs cincy and become the new Jesus to fans…

he definitely showing signs of progression though 

4 hours ago, Jethead said:

Great thread. 

JJ is going to be the breakout star this year. I predict he's DL1 by the season. opener. Pro Bowl coming!

I was particularly impressed by him on one running play - first half? - where he was lined up against (I think) a three tight end set, dispensed with a double team and nailed the RB for no gain. His pass rushing speaks for itself.

45 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Eh. I don’t think Becton wants to play RT, and he’s got a semi-legitimate excuse to avoid it if he’s afraid of his knee, and I think he’d be practicing there if there were real thoughts about letting him play RT. Becton is playing for a contract, and he’s probably better off backing up at LT and not seeing the field this year than he is trying to play RT and nuking his knee again. At least he can sell himself as a young player at a premium position who’s rehabbed for two years

hard to imagine whats going to happen over the next few weeks but I suspect we may see Becton getting reps at RT soon but who knows.

It is harder to predict what will happen though because I think Becton is playing long game.  He is perceived to be a large man-baby and that may be true but I do think he has surrounded himself with a better team (doctor, agent, etc..) and that team has probably written off the Jets after they failed to pick up his 5th year option which I think was foolish even if he was not in their long term plans. so I think this can go a few ways now.

There is no likely scenario of him playing LT.  Saleh will roll out Brown in wheelchair if need be.  Which means if he sticks to his guns about not being a RT then he likely doesn't see the field and the Jets do have Warren and others to turn to as back up LT.  So team Becton may determine the best way to maximize his next contract with next team is to play RT and get him on film and hope to eventually move back to LT on next team.

With that said team Becton could also stick to their guns and write-off 2023 and accept a back up roll for now and wait for next contract

JD may just try and cut losses and he is traded before 1st game.

wildcard here is new OL coach and what he is seeing and whether he is actually good or not

43 minutes ago, GKnight83 said:

Kind of have mixed feelings about the OP.  Most of it I agreed with.  However,  ...

Given Becton's recovery thought he did well.  Even with one or two bad positioning reps.

I am not happy with the free agent TEs.  Actually, cannot stand them.  Like the younger guys.  Even Ruckert.

19, despite being hit on the numbers and not catching the ball recovered nicely and had some good plays.  Rookie WRs need a bit of time to adjust.  Even more so when they are exposed to 4 new QBs in practice.  Not everyone can be a GW.

Both veteran tight ends caught passes.  What else should they have done?  Hahaha

2 minutes ago, KRL said:

A couple of things:

- Tippmann had a "stupid" game.  On one screen he was able to get from the
middle of the line to outside the numbers to hit a moving LB to break
Abanikanda for a 15+ yard gain

- Ulbrich mixed in a few "pattern breakers" for the defense.  Showing the
usual 4 rushers but then dropping out a DT causing the OLine to not know
who to block.  On one of these it isolated McDonald on the OT and he got
his sack

- Also, Ulbrich had Johnson standing up in his DE spot giving the impression
he may drop but he rushed instead.  Impressive strength by Johnson to walk
OT's into the backfield while applying pressure

- Wilson is doing what I hoped he would being efficient, finding completions
and generating a high completion % 

Get Tippy in there with the starters tomorrow!!!!  There is 0 reason to ever play McGovern again.

21 minutes ago, JetsRay said:

Totally disagree on Moreland, he's making a push for a roster spot over Bryce Hall.

Brownlee has talent, but I sense the game is too fast for him, seems a bit raw, needs development, I definitely see him on the PS. I can see the team keeping Malik Taylor for that #6 roster spot. Gibson is right there as well.

Agree on Moreland, I think he moved ahead of Hall yesterday.  Brownlee to PS makes sense.  I think his ST ability gives Gipson the edge over Taylor for the final WR spot.  He looks like he has the potential to be dynamic in the return game.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, GKnight83 said:

#19 is Irvin Charles.  He is not a rookie.  He is 26 years old and has been with the team since May of 2022. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, T0mShane said:

You think he is going to be able to sell himself to another team after begging off being the starting RT?  Some team is going to snap him up as an LT?  If he doesn't play, and play well this year, teams will be looking at him the same as the Jets this year.  Potential RT, swing tackle with a hope to hit Yahtzee and find a lucky LT.

IMO Zach wasn’t good. He was better. 
I'd agree with this .. he was a LOT better in the pocket and added some touch on the short passes... His incompletion in the left corner of the end zone was an absolute beauty that a decent WR could.have made.

But overall .. all you can take away from this game is that there is work being done... Unlike the last two seasons.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, T0mShane said:

I wonder if Jamarco Jones is a straight up nutbag, because he’s still on the street. 

30 minutes ago, Rich Thornburgh said:

Nuts is good in football 

You guys are actually touting Jamarco Jones as a sure thing plug in at tackle?  Talk about delusional. The guy was drafted in 2018 and has played less snaps than Becton.  He was on a suspect Seahawks line and could not earn a starting spot.  He's only started 7 of the 36 games he has played.  He has been on the IR at least 4 times and has played 10 offensive snaps since November 14, 2021.  He has started and finished 5 games in his career.  Oh, and more of those starts have come at guard than tackle.  Oh, and he is a freaking nutbag. 

The Jets have plenty of guys from the Titans staff that signed him for 2022, including the offensive line coach.  If they thought he was worth anything they'd have had him in.  He was a meh prospect and a less than JAG pro.  If he didn't have a memorable name and come from Ohio State you guys wouldn't look at him as any better than Greg Senat.  With all crying around here, why isn't anybody whining for Jason Peters?  Sure he is old and was hurt a bunch last  year, but he is certainly a better choice at tackle than Jamarco Jones.. .  

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, peekskill68 said:

Last year, this Board caught a case of #MyQuite fever.  This year it's time to shoot Wilson into the sun for basically playing the exact same way...

Conversely, many Wilson devotees on this board said Mike White sucked donkey balls because he was nothing but a dink and dunker lacking a 10th of Zach Wilson's explosive talent.  This year it's time to anoint Wilson as vastly improved for making a few more (but not close to all) of those easy MyQuiteLike dink and dunk passes.

It's almost like folks are just engaging in typical confirmation bias for the guys they like/don't like.  

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, Warfish said:
Conversely, many Wilson devotees on this board said Mike White sucked donkey balls because he was nothing but a dink and dunker lacking a 10th of Zach Wilson's explosive talent.  This year it's time to anoint Wilson as vastly improved for making a few more (but not close to all) of those easy MyQuiteLike dink and dunk passes.
It's almost like folks are just engaging in typical confirmation bias for the guys they like/don't like.  

I see.your point. .. fact is .. Wilson's arm doesn't belong to everyone ... So seeing him try to learn and master the short game is  awesome because we know he has the tools to make the seemingly more difficult throws.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

Edited by Dunnie
  • Upvote 2

Fwiw. Hughes. 

Here are the #Jets offensive snap count totals for their victory over the #Panthers, their second preseason game. 

Always telling to see who's getting the playing time. 

Chris Glaser, G, 51 (75.0%)
Joe Tippmann, C, 51 (75.0%)
Greg Senat, T, 42 (61.8%)
Zach Wilson, QB, 38 (55.9%)
Adam Pankey , G, 30 (44.1%)
Tim Boyle, QB, 30 (44.1%)
Mekhi Becton , T, 27 (39.7%)
Trystan Colon, C. 27 (39.7%)
Irvin Charles, WR, 26 (38.2%)
Xavier Gipson, WR, 24 (35.3%)
Israel Abanikanda , RB, 24 (35.3%)
Alex Erickson, WR, 24 (35.3%)
Brent Laing, G, 24 (35.3%)
Malik Taylor, WR, 21 (30.9%)
Travis Dye, RB, 21 (30.9%)
Zack Kuntz, TE, 21 (30.9%)
Billy Turner, T , 17 (25.0%)
Laken Tomlinson, G, 17 (25.0%)
Connor McGovern, C, 17 (25.0%)
Wes Schweitzer, G, 17 (25.0%)
Corey Davis, WR, 17 (25.0%)
Max Mitchell, T, 17 (25.0%)
Allen Lazard, WR, 15 (22.1%)
Jeremy Ruckert, TE, 15 (22.1%)
Jerome Kapp, WR, 15 (22.1%)
Jason Brownlee, WR, 15 (22.1%)
T.J. Luther, WR, 15 (22.1%)
Kenny Yeboah, TE , 14 (20.6%)
E.J. Jenkins, TE, 14 (20.6%)
Tyler Conklin, TE, 11 (16.2%)
Mecole Hardman, WR, 11 (16.2%)
C.J. Uzomah, TE, 9 (13.2%)
Zonovan Knight, RB, 9 (13.2%)
Michael Carter, RB, 8 (11.8%)
Damarea Crockett , RB, 6 (8.8%)
Nick Bawden, RB, 5 (7.4%)
Grant Hermanns, T, 3 (4.4%)

Fwiw. Hughes. 

Here are the #Jets offensive snap count totals for their victory over the #Panthers, their second preseason game. 
Always telling to see who's getting the playing time. 
Chris Glaser, G, 51 (75.0%)
Joe Tippmann, C, 51 (75.0%)
Greg Senat, T, 42 (61.8%)
Zach Wilson, QB, 38 (55.9%)
Adam Pankey , G, 30 (44.1%)
Tim Boyle, QB, 30 (44.1%)
Mekhi Becton , T, 27 (39.7%)
Trystan Colon, C. 27 (39.7%)
Irvin Charles, WR, 26 (38.2%)
Xavier Gipson, WR, 24 (35.3%)
Israel Abanikanda , RB, 24 (35.3%)
Alex Erickson, WR, 24 (35.3%)