Stock Rising / Stock Falling vs Panthers (In My Humble Opinion)

3 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Eh. I don’t think Becton wants to play RT, and he’s got a semi-legitimate excuse to avoid it if he’s afraid of his knee, and I think he’d be practicing there if there were real thoughts about letting him play RT. Becton is playing for a contract, and he’s probably better off backing up at LT and not seeing the field this year than he is trying to play RT and nuking his knee again. At least he can sell himself as a young player at a premium position who’s rehabbed for two years

I wonder if the Jets have already "turned the page" on Becton and are just trying to get him in there enough to build up some value to trade him (I think they might view Zach Wilson the same way). Just wondering. There's just no way they can extend him even if he stays healthy for the whole season and looks good.  Way too much risk. It seems hard to imagine that they could get much of anything, though.  Maybe a one for one swap with another team who has a talented but troubled guy that they want to be rid of?

If not, then maybe consider a 1a/1b situation where Brown and Becton rotate at LT during each game in an effort to keep both guys healthy. Tell them that the guy who plays best can emerge as the go-to starter. Both guys are huge question marks to stay healthy over a 17 game season. Obviously not ideal b/c you'd like your #3 guy to be a legitimate swing tackle. In this case, the #4 becomes the swing tackle.

• Upvote 1

My outside view on Tippman and reading between the lines with Saleh’s comments is he’s not mentally sharp right now. Too many mental errors and from a center who’s typically the smartest guy on the team besides the QB that can’t happen. His personality doesn’t inspire confidence. You gotta know your assignments. 

The jets signed Duane Brown one year ago yesterday.  Then the following took place:

Two weeks after he agreed to a contract with the Jets, 10 days after he joined conditioning drills, and one day after his first appearance in team drills, Brown put pads on for the first time since the end of last season with the Seahawks

That was from August 25th, the first day he practiced with the team. So can we please stop going nuts over when he takes the field?  If he keeps moving along slowly and practices next week and can play 1-2 quarters in the preseason finale he will essentially be ahead of last years schedule.  

These veterans dont need a full camp and if it wasnt such a big deal in the media the teams would let vets rest even more.  In addition, a LT doesnt need as many reps for cohesiveness as he will essentially be on an island out there alone.

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

My outside view on Tippman and reading between the lines with Saleh’s comments is he’s not mentally sharp right now. Too many mental errors and from a center who’s typically the smartest guy on the team besides the QB that can’t happen. His personality doesn’t inspire confidence. You gotta know your assignments. 

He’s given up 1 pressure in 44 opportunities. Could you be specific about the ME’s ?

24 minutes ago, BCJet said:

The jets signed Duane Brown one year ago yesterday.  Then the following took place:

Two weeks after he agreed to a contract with the Jets, 10 days after he joined conditioning drills, and one day after his first appearance in team drills, Brown put pads on for the first time since the end of last season with the Seahawks

That was from August 25th, the first day he practiced with the team. So can we please stop going nuts over when he takes the field?  If he keeps moving along slowly and practices next week and can play 1-2 quarters in the preseason finale he will essentially be ahead of last years schedule.  

These veterans dont need a full camp and if it wasnt such a big deal in the media the teams would let vets rest even more.  In addition, a LT doesnt need as many reps for cohesiveness as he will essentially be on an island out there alone.

Fair,  but last year he wasn't coming off major surgery.  People are killing Becton for his slow process coming off knee surgery but are just assuming Brown can slap on the pads and protect the blind side coming off shoulder surgery.   

• Upvote 1

Regarding all the Wilson talk, forget even any debates on how he's looked so far, at what point will people come to accept the reality that once Rodgers made it clear he was sticking around for multiple years, Wilson's future with the Jets essentially came to an end unless Rodgers were to suffer a major injury?

Even if they suddenly were to be convinced differently about Wilson, the contract makes it impossible to do anything unless Rodgers chooses differently (i.e., either retires or approves a trade, both currently seeming unlikely).  I'm not even saying whether that's good or bad, but was the decision they were knowingly making when the deal was done, regardless of what they're feeding to the media.

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, peekskill68 said:

Fair,  but last year he wasn't coming off major surgery.  People are killing Becton for his slow process coming off knee surgery but are just assuming Brown can slap on the pads and protect the blind side coming off shoulder surgery.   

I don't have much confidence in Brown given his age, but you have to consider context, as Becton's criticism comes from the fact that he hasn't played in 2 years beginning with what was supposed to be short-term recovery at the time it occurred, with evidence to suggest Becton himself has a large share of the fault for that.  It also correlates to conditioning being the biggest concern for Becton coming out in the draft and having come up every year he's been in the league, so this isn't exactly a new issue.

With Brown you obviously don't feel as confident in the injury recovery of an older player, but his track record is still infinitely better in that department.  Don't get me wrong, let whichever guy is better prepared to play in September have the job, but there's plenty of reasons to have more faith in Brown than Becton, even if it is a lesser of two evils situation.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Dunnie said:

I see.your point. .. fact is .. Wilson's arm doesn't belong to everyone ... So seeing him try to learn and master the short game is  awesome because we know he has the tools to make the seemingly more difficult throws.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

This. It's his short game that needed work (bad). I'm no Zach homer, I was surprised when we drafted him (to me he was too small, too injury prone, and far too good looking to be an NFL QB 🤣)

But here we are, and seeing him at least TRY and conquer the ez throws (slants, flats, screens, etc) is good to see.

Pocket awareness and ez throws is ALL he should be working on this TC.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

Regarding all the Wilson talk, forget even any debates on how he's looked so far, at what point will people come to accept the reality that once Rodgers made it clear he was sticking around for multiple years, Wilson's future with the Jets essentially came to an end unless Rodgers were to suffer a major injury?
Even if they suddenly were to be convinced differently about Wilson, the contract makes it impossible to do anything unless Rodgers chooses differently (i.e., either retires or approves a trade, both currently seeming unlikely).  I'm not even saying whether that's good or bad, but was the decision they were knowingly making when the deal was done, regardless of what they're feeding to the media.
Rogers signing cemented the fact that the organization is 1000% supporting the best path forward for ZW. #NYJFQBRISING

• Upvote 1

Really can't argue with any of that. Izzy looks like he's going to fit in really well in the NFL. Too early to call it a great draft pick, but I think at some point this season we'll all be saying it. 
Do you remember Blair Thomas' first preseason game ?

Very interesting comment: #Jets HC Robert Saleh told @antwanstaley that OL Wes Schweitzer (@WSchweitzer71) has ‘earned the right to be out there’ 👀 he’s been competing for the starting gig at center but he got right guard reps vs 

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

Do you remember Blair Thomas' first preseason game ?

No but I remember going to Hofstra and being so excited to see him and when he came out onto the field I double checked the program to make sure it was him because he was sooooo small lol

2 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

You think he is going to be able to sell himself to another team after begging off being the starting RT?  Some team is going to snap him up as an LT?  If he doesn't play, and play well this year, teams will be looking at him the same as the Jets this year.  Potential RT, swing tackle with a hope to hit Yahtzee and find a lucky LT.

I feel like if he goes out to right tackle and blows his knee out again, he’s spending next Spring on the tryout circuit begging for a camp invite. The ideal scenario for him is that he puts up as many clean reps on tape as he can and weasels an Andre Dillard deal from someone next year. 

• Upvote 1

No but I remember going to Hofstra and being so excited to see him and when he came out onto the field I double checked the program to make sure it was him because he was sooooo small lol
Guy looked like he fell in between Barry and Earl ... Then the season began.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Bleedin Green said:

It's not impossible that Zach stays.  It may not be very likely, but then it's usually not very likely that a QB has the resilience to bounce back from the hole that Zach was in, but it's looking like he is well on his way out of the hole, and is learning, progressing and beginning to look like the player they drafted.  He may not want to stay, as he might get more money offered up front elsewhere, but if he demonstrates that he has learned and is looking/playing/practicing a lot better by the end of this season, the Jets could offer him a deal loaded with incentives for playing time, and easily reachable goals once Rodgers retires.  I think Zach could see some game action later in the season in games in which the Jets have a big lead.  I don't see Rodgers playing more than 2 years.  If they win the SB following this season, he could decide to ride off into the sunset on top.

• Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, JKlecko said:

It's not impossible that Zach stays.  It may not be very likely, but then it's usually not very likely that a QB has the resilience to bounce back from the hole that Zach was in, but it's looking like he is well on his way out of the hole, and is learning, progressing and beginning to look like the player they drafted.  He may not want to stay, as he might get more money offered up front elsewhere, but if he demonstrates that he has learned and is looking/playing/practicing a lot better by the end of this season, the Jets could offer him a deal loaded with incentives for playing time, and easily reachable goals once Rodgers retires.  I think Zach could see some game action later in the season in games in which the Jets have a big lead.  I don't see Rodgers playing more than 2 years.  If they win the SB following this season, he could decide to ride off into the sunset on top.

Zach got his dicked kicked in for two years straight. He even said how rough and demoralizing it was, during his Hard Knocks interview. He now has his childhood hero teaching and molding him. Even his bitter mom was thankful. Sure, maybe the young player who was a stud in college one day starts thinking he is Jesus in cleats again and wants out. But there is also the chance that Aaron stays in his ear and lets him know the realistic timeframe of which he plans to stick around and how he wants to help Zach become great. And maybe, Zach decides for the long run in an age where quarterbacks play until they're 40, he wants to stick around and learn as much as he can before he comes the next Jet legend QB behind Namath, Vinny, Favre, Rodgers. Aaron did it with Favre, maybe Zach will with Aaron. 

Believe Jason Sudeikis GIF by Apple TV

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

6 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Unless there’s some Hoosiers-like “my team is on the floor” scheme to motivate Becton to get healthy, it really looks like Saleh is going to stick Brown out there come hell or high water. I think Brown cemented his place on this team when he played through a bad rotator cuff at the end of last year. Becton might have the talent, but if they can’t rely on him to play through injury, it’s probably a net negative to roll him out there at all. Bouncing in and out of the lineup screws everyone else up.

I disagree.  Having an inferior talent at LT who hasn't practiced and gotten his timing and cohesion down with his OL teammates will screw things up more than a player who has to take a blow occasionally.  Sa;eh likes who he likes, and I know he likes Brown because he played through injury last season, but unless Brown is able to start practicing this week or next, the starting LT job should belong to Becton.  Becton is playing longer and longer and building confidence in his knee.  Saleh also said that the best 5 will start.  There's no way that Becton can't be included in our best 5 OL.

• Sympathy 1

6 hours ago, Matt39 said:

Same. I don’t think he completed a pass down the field. 

He did to Brownlee, right before the end of the 1st half on the TD drive.  That doesn't matter however.  Zach's problem was never throwing downfield, it was on screens and short throws.  It's obvious to me that last night Hackett decided to work Zach and the offense hard on screens and short passes.  This was also done to help Zach get more decisive and to get the ball out quickly.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, JKlecko said:

Perhaps not impossible, but let's at least say extremely unlikely and not something anyone is reasonably planning around today.  In truth, if things go well for Wilson he would have every reason to want to move on, and if they don't the Jets would be the ones who would want out.

Only way a deal like that would happen is if Wilson is considered a question mark when the time comes, and he (and his agent) don't feel particularly confident in betting on himself.  The truth is Wilson will probably be rooting for a Rodgers injury a little bit on the inside, and I don't even mean that as a criticism towards him, because it's honestly the only way he'll get to show himself in games that count, but that's obviously not something the team nor us would want to see.

16 hours ago, David Harris said:

Zach didn’t complete a pass beyond four yards from the line of scrimmage

The overthrow to Anikanda in the flat. The weird sidearm to Conklin that missed. Drive killers. Also didn’t lead Hardman enough in the end zone- he had a step.

You're mistaken.  He completed an 8-yard pass to Brownlee on the sideline just before the end of the 1st half on the TD drive.  I think he also completed another 1 or 2 to WRs, but even if not, it doesn't matter.  It's glaringly apparent that Hackett was having Zach and the offense work on the short passing game last night.  That's been where Zach has had the most problems with accuracy.  I think it was also to help him be more decisive and to get the ball out quicker.  I thought it was brilliant, and Hackett did a much better job with play calling.  He was less predictable and didn't always run on 1st and 2nd downs and pass on 3rd downs.

1 hour ago, Bleedin Green said:

I  dont agree that this is the only pathway for Wilson.   If he feels he is in a good place for his career and the Jets think he is evolving into what they had hoped when they drafted him, they could give him a bridge type contract enabling to get paid as back up until Rodgers is done, and then elevating his salary when he becomes the starter.   Thats a lot of ifs but if both sides wanted it to happen, it could.  
Or the Jets could win a Super Bowl this year and Rodgers decides to retire on a high note leaving Zac to show what he has learned.  Daniel Jones had 3 mediocre yrs before breaking out in his 4th yr, so anything is possible.

• Upvote 2

I thought that Chris Glaser looked pretty good last night.  I hadn't heard of him before.  I googled him and think he played at UVA, and he's a year 1 player, but wasn't able to find much other info on him.  What did the rest of you think about his play yesterday?  I don't recall seeing his name as  UDFA.  Was he a tryout player or a futures signing?

While I remember, two guys the Jets have added recently - Bruce Hector and Pita Taumoepenu - looked very good in their reps. Yet more DL depth.

It's going to be very tough for either guy to crack the 53, but both will be very strong PS candidates after final cuts.