Every Snap - Johnson II, McDonald, Izzy, Becton, Tippmann

59 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Tippy!  My goodness.  Put him in the starting lineup now!!!!!

do you even watch the tape? he is not good in pass protection. i only watched 3 1/2 mins and saw he let 3 guys go pass him. one guy would have sacked Zach if Bectons missed block guy didnt get there 1st.

no he is not ready for the starting lineup.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, doitny said:

do you even watch the tape? he is not good in pass protection. i only watched 3 1/2 mins and saw he let 3 guys go pass him. one guy would have sacked Zach if Bectons missed block guy didnt get there 1st.

Didnt see that bro. The 1 sack was a stunt and the guy ran around Bectons left side --- thats on Becton.

Another play he mirrored the guy/slid him out of the pocket.

He's clearly much stronger and more athletic than McGovern. Once he locked in his blocks, I didnt see anyone drive him backwards in pass pro. Also moved people better than McGovern in the run game.

Other notes: Kuntz is definitely athletic. McDonald is talented. If he gets enough snaps, I could easily see him getting 8+ sacks as a rookie. Jermaine is solid - but more of a hustle sack guy than a guy who gets their under 2 secs. Not bendy but is strong/quick/some pass rush moves. 

• Upvote 2

JJ looks like an absolute beast out there and McD showed exactly why he was picked where he was.  He already has the athletic ability to be an elite edge rusher in the league and thankfully with our depth will be given some time to develop. 

It will be interesting to see if JD can use our edge depth to make a trade or just keep it as a strength in case of injury because we have 4 legitimate edge rushers.  I cant imagine teams having to pass against Huff and McDonald in the 4th quarter when those guys are completely fresh.

As far as Tippman, I thought he looked athletic getting to the second level, but im surprised so many posters think he played terrible. What exactly was his issue yesterday?

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Barton said:

Didnt see that bro. The 1 sack was a stunt and the guy ran around Bectons left side --- thats on Becton.

Another play he mirrored the guy/slid him out of the pocket.

He's clearly much stronger and more athletic than McGovern. Once he locked in his blocks, I didnt see anyone drive him backwards in pass pro. Also moved people better than McGovern in the run game.

Other notes: Kuntz is definitely athletic. McDonald is talented. If he gets enough snaps, I could easily see him getting 8+ sacks as a rookie. Jermaine is solid - but more of a hustle sack guy than a guy who gets their under 2 secs. Not bendy but is strong/quick/some pass rush moves. 

yeah a stunt on Becton, but Tippman had his guy right in front of him and for some reason instead of staying in front of him he turns to the side and he takes off pass him. on his pre snap read he should have seen 2 DL there one for Becton and the LG and should not have from what it looked like to me , pass him off to the LG. shouldnt he have locked his guy up. he had hands on him. 

next play on the run he was in no mans land. the only guy he could have blocked was #53 but was out of position to block him. next run play he missed the block and is on the floor.

at 2:25 i will give him credit for staying with his guy but wasnt quick enough to stop him from getting that lane and let him get inches from Zach. the whole OL blew up on that play except for RG #64. Becton looked so bad on that and WTF was the RT doing. smh

2:40. guy blew right passed him on a run play . almost had a TFL

i watched the rest of it and he was OK. i didnt see anything that made me say OMG hes so good he must start NOW!!! i cant compare him to McGovern unless @bla bla bla wants to make a tape on him lol

oh and i agree with McDonald. i love that guy. 

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, doitny said:

What am I watching?  Hahaha.  Tippy was excellent out there.  

• WTF? 1

Thanks for posting, fun to watch them iso'd.  After reviewing, again, there is nothing to really take from this but for fun:

Becton looks fine.  Not sure what's going on there but he looks ready to play.  The inside move he got beat on, looked somewhat like a miscommunication, otherwise, another solid outing.

Will McDonald reminds me of the freak, Javon Kearse, big dudes who just shouldnt be able to move like that, I thnk Kearse played w/ a little more weight but very similar freakish pursuit characteristics.  He's got a lot going to build on.

Jermaine Johnson reminds of Robert Quinn.  A little undersized but strong AF w/ a quick first step.  Very good hands game.  Looks like a handful to deal w/ for sure.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, juxsta said:

Dam..They beat up on those dudes so bad the Panthers O-Line players and coach had to call a meeting just after the game.

https://www.panthers.com/news/offensive-line-has-impromptu-meeting-after-disappointing-day

gbs5bpnbdu8yzfceo1pe.jpg

Yep, our boy Huff who some want to put on the discount sales rack beating a top 5 pick from last year.  

• Upvote 2

Tippmann was fine.  His biggest pressure allowed was off a stunt where he couldn’t get to his guy because the entire left side collapsed.

When he locks on, he’s very good when his form is in balance.

He’s excellent to the second level.

Plays thru the whistle.

Yes, he loses his balance more often than you want at the end of plays and winds up on the ground.  Especially when he’s moving laterally, where he tends to reach instead of resetting his base.

Technique can be taught.  But I agree he’s likely not ready until he cleans this up a bit.  By mid season or year 2, we are going to have a 5+ year starter at center.

• Upvote 2

55 minutes ago, juxsta said:

Dam..They beat up on those dudes so bad the Panthers O-Line players and coach had to call a meeting just after the game.

https://www.panthers.com/news/offensive-line-has-impromptu-meeting-after-disappointing-day

gbs5bpnbdu8yzfceo1pe.jpg

Goes along with former Panther great Steve Smith who I had to listen to as the announcer in watching the game. 

The repetitive... good learning experience, ...facing adversity,,.... only a vanilla game plan ... blah blah blah... was nauseating!  

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Barton said:

They should try to lock up Huff right now on a cheap deal, if possible. 4/5 years at 4-5 mill per year. 

He’s so quietly good.  The definition of underrated as a pass rusher.  Super fast off the line, good speed to power, an arsenal of moves, good bend, compact, non stop motor.

You’re right, the money cannot be too high because he is a situational pass rusher.  But I think it might be closer to $10M IF he’s a guy who can get you high single digit sacks.  He hasn’t proven that yet.

The interesting thing this preseason is that he is mostly lining up on the right side (QB’s blind side) which shows he’s versatile.  Last year he was almost exclusively rushing from the left side.

Now- if the Jets desperately need a starting Offensive Tackle, is he the chip you want to use?  TBD on both fronts ..

1 minute ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

He’s so quietly good.  The definition of underrated as a pass rusher.  Super fast off the line, good speed to power, an arsenal of moves, good bend, compact, non stop motor.

You’re right, the money cannot be too high because he is a situational pass rusher.  But I think it might be closer to $10M IF he’s a guy who can get you high single digit sacks.  He hasn’t proven that yet.

The interesting thing this preseason is that he is mostly lining up on the right side (QB’s blind side) which shows he’s versatile.  Last year he was almost exclusively raging from the left side.

Now- if the Jets desperately need a starting Tackle, is he the chip you want to use?  TBD on both fronts ..

True. I think he would take 6-7 mill a year though. Dude has only had 1 impactful season - and it was in a part-time role. 

A career ending injury can happen tomorrow. Take the money - ask Dustin Keller. 

2 hours ago, doitny said:

yeah a stunt on Becton, but Tippman had his guy right in front of him and for some reason instead of staying in front of him he turns to the side and he takes off pass him. on his pre snap read he should have seen 2 DL there one for Becton and the LG and should not have from what it looked like to me , pass him off to the LG. shouldnt he have locked his guy up. he had hands on him. 

next play on the run he was in no mans land. the only guy he could have blocked was #53 but was out of position to block him. next run play he missed the block and is on the floor.

at 2:25 i will give him credit for staying with his guy but wasnt quick enough to stop him from getting that lane and let him get inches from Zach. the whole OL blew up on that play except for RG #64. Becton looked so bad on that and WTF was the RT doing. smh

2:40. guy blew right passed him on a run play . almost had a TFL

i watched the rest of it and he was OK. i didnt see anything that made me say OMG hes so good he must start NOW!!! i cant compare him to McGovern unless @bla bla bla wants to make a tape on him lol

oh and i agree with McDonald. i love that guy. 

Lol I thought about doing McGovern to compare the 2. Figure McGovern is more of a known quantity.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Sonny Werblin said:

People are nuts. Tippmann was fine. He’s a rookie. Made one or two rookie mistakes. But showed he belongs and I especially liked when he held his ground with no defender over C, waited after he hiked the ball to ID the late rusher, and made a key block on the blitzer on the draw play.

He looked mediocre at best, vs backups and 3rd stringers. 

• WTF? 1
  • More Ugh 1

From zack

Will McDonald through two preseason games, per TruMedia:

25 pass-rushing snaps
6 pressures
3 QB hits
1 sack
24% pressure rate 

Perspective: Bryce Huff led all NFL defensive ends with a 22% pressure rate last season.

McDonald vs. the Panthers, who played their 1st team O-Line:  4 pressures, 1 sack, 2 QB hits in 11 pass-rushing snaps.

• Upvote 2