The Jets defensive line humiliated the Panthers offensive line. What should we take away from this, and how can it help the overall team going forward?

Alka

If you doubt that the Jets defensive line humiliated the Panthers offensive line, then you need to read what some of the Panthers who played last night had to say.  Immediately after the game, the Panthers offensive line got together to have an impromptu meeting, and talk about how they basically need to get their sh*t together.  The Jets did not have their front line defensive line starters playing last night, which included Q Williams, Lawson, JFM, and Woods.  On the other hand, 4 out of the 5 starters on the Panthers offensive line started last night, and this was the same Panthers line for all of 2022, so no new faces. 

Quite frankly, I believe that last night sent a message to the entire NFL, and that message was that the Jets defensive line is legit, and things will not be easy going up against them.  One of the things I read was from a Panthers writer, who said that one of the positives after last nights game was that the Panthers will not have to face the Jets defensive line this upcoming season.

What else can we learn from the defensive line performance from last night?  Here are my takeaways:

1. The Jets have legitimate defensive line trading pieces before the start of this season to see if they can upgrade the offensive line.  I mean, the d line is so deep, that to not inquire about upgrading the left or right tackle position would be a disservice to the Jets team.

2. If the Jets were to seek a trade, who should they consider trading?   For me, Carl Lawson and Huff are a couple of names I would consider.  I would consider them because they could get us a reasonable return.  To me, the only d line player not to even consider would be Quinnen Williams, since he is the mega star of that line. 

3. Another take away is that I still don't understand why the Jets keep on piling on a defensive line unit that is beyond stout and deep?  The Jets drafted a D line player in the first round last year, 4th round last year, and 1st round this year.  I understand Saleh's obsession with the D line, but I feel it is to the detriment to other positions, like offensive tackle and linebacker, just to name 2 positions where I still see weaknesses.

4.  Right now, I count 14 defensive line players on the Jets roster right now.  And we just brought in this guy Hector, who looked good last night, but again, why did the Jets feel the need to bring in another defensive line player?  LOL.   How many D line players will the Jets carry?  I wonder who the Jets are going to cut, and who will be there to be scooped up by other teams.

• Thumb Down 1
  • WTF? 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1
  • More Ugh 1

The 49ers dressed 10 d-lineman in the superbowl when Saleh was there. His D gave up 31 to the chiefs. I suspect the McDonald pick is about winning playoff games 

He’s crazy about pass rushers. I don’t think they will trade anyone but there are still 3 weeks to go so you never know…

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, Larz said:

The 49ers dressed 10 d-lineman in the superbowl when Saleh was there. His D gave up 31 to the chiefs. I suspect the McDonald pick is about winning playoff games 

He’s crazy about pass rushers. I don’t think they will trade anyone but there are still 3 weeks to go so you never know…

It takes 2 to tango.  I think Joe Douglas would be open to a trade for a quality right tackle, but there has to be a need from another team for a pass rusher, and that other team would have to have a player that the Jets would want.  It's not easy, but like you said, it's possible.

• Upvote 4

1 minute ago, chirorob said:

As for me, I keep the depth, people get hurt

And do offensive linemen get hurt too?  You don't think we could use quality depth to protect our $40M per year investment?  I mean, if nothing else, let's not forget about last year, with all the injuries on the offensive line.  Becton, AVT, Brown, Max, just off the top of my head.

Just now, Bowles Movement said:

Very good chance both Huff and Lawson are gone next year.  They are drafting guys on both lines to create a pipeline to replace guys as their contracts expire.   I’m sure McDonald will make a jump similar to the one JJ did this year.

Exactly why I would consider trading them this year.  A "win now" team might be very interested in this type of a trade for this year.

• Ugh 1

1 minute ago, Alka said:

And do offensive linemen get hurt too?  You don't think we could use quality depth to protect our $40M per year investment?  I mean, if nothing else, let's not forget about last year, with all the injuries on the offensive line.  Becton, AVT, Brown, Max, just off the top of my head.

Of course they do.   What great tackle are you going to get for Lawson?

Plus, he won't know the system, he won't know the plays.   I'd rather just keep the strength of the team strong.

• Post of the Week 1

I gave a post of the week because you are not wrong about the DLine backups wrecking the Carolina starters.

It was beyond impressive. There should be some assets in that unit.

I doubt JD will be able to trade for a tackle but I’m sure he’d love to.  Jets tackles Vs Carolina starters sounded like a disaster on Wednesday.  

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, RevisIsland610 said:

The Dline is stacked in terms of talent and depth. They are going to be an absolute nightmare for other teams. They will also be playing with more leads than last year. I expect a 60 sack year. 

The amazing thing is the diversity of talent.  It’s not a wave of the same type of players.

The opposing OL better be good at a lot of things.

We can beat you with speed, quickness, power, bend, speed to power, arsenal of moves, relentless pursuit, stunts.  Wave after wave.  Layered on top of the best CB trio in the NFL amd possibly a better than expected group of safeties.  Thanks Tony Adams!

• Upvote 4

11 minutes ago, Alka said:

Exactly why I would consider trading them this year.  A "win now" team might be very interested in this type of a trade for this year.

They probably get a third rd comp pick for both next yr if they keep them.  Unless someone has a good starting tackle they want to trade, why would they trade their depth?    Do you have a potential trade candidate that they should pursue?  They want to attack in waves so they want that depth.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Reasonable Jets Fan said:

Jets are actually deep at pass rush and the first thing anyone wants to do is trade them... So idiotic... How about having the best pass rush and leave it at that... I love how everyone is complaining about OL but yet they did well against another very good defense that was crushing them in practice... Plus you are all writing off brown who played the whole season with 1 arm and still was very good...

I like your name "Reasonable Jets Fan".  I also like to think I am a reasonable Jets fan.  lol   I am not interested in trading away valuable pieces of our team, but if it will upgrade the team, and help us get to the Superbowl, then I am all for it.

What is the goal?  The goal is to get better, and help the team win more games.  That should always be the goal, and with this goal in mind, I would not be against a trade, if it helps our team.  

Just for argument sake, if the Jets traded Huff, "How would the Jets be worse at rushing the passer this year?  Carl Lawson, JFM, Will McDonald, Johnson, and Michael Clemons.  That would be 5 edge rushers if the Jets were to trade Huff.  6 edge rushers if they keep Huff.  If you moved Clemons on the inside, then you still have 4 edge rushers.  

Again, I wouldn't make the trade unless we could get back a return that would help the team win more games.

19 minutes ago, Bowles Movement said:

Do you have a potential trade candidate that they should pursue?

How about tackle Jonah Williams from the Cincinnati Bengals?  He is just 25 years old, and might be attainable.  On the other hand, the Bengals were 29th in the NFL with sacks in 2022, getting only 30 sacks.  

The Bengals might very well be interested in Huff, and the Jets might be interested in Williams, who is a former 1st round draft pick.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Sympathy 1

The amazing thing is the diversity of talent.  It’s not a wave of the same type of players.
The opposing OL better be good at a lot of things.
We can beat you with speed, quickness, power, bend, speed to power, arsenal of moves, relentless pursuit, stunts.  Wave after wave.  Layered on top of the best CB trio in the NFL amd possibly a better than expected group of safeties.  Thanks Tony Adams!

Who is the third stalwart at CB ? MC2 ?

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Larz said:

The road to the Super Bowl will go through Mahomes, Burrow and Herbert and likely 2 or them and in order to beat them you need 2 things - an outstanding CB and the ability to pressure the QB without blitzing and we now have both of these.

Its really wild to me that after yesterdays game anyone could be questioning the McDonald pick.  The kid is an INSANE athlete who is dominating every rep he gets.  He also is an absolutely perfect fit to play the wide 9 position in which he was drafted to play.  Had Iowa State not played him on the interior he would have had another double digit sack season and would have been a top 10 pick.  Thankfully for us we got a Von Miller level edge rusher in the middle of the first round.

I get that we have a log jam at the position right now and maybe that leads to a trade but obviously JD is looking at more then this season and likely next year both Lawson and Huff will be gone, hopefully with good compensatory picks coming back to us.

• Upvote 4

26 minutes ago, Alka said:

How about tackle Jonah Williams from the Cincinnati Bengals?  He is just 25 years old, and might be attainable.  On the other hand, the Bengals were 29th in the NFL with sacks in 2022, getting only 30 sacks.  

The Bengals might very well be interested in Huff, and the Jets might be interested in Williams, who is a former 1st round draft pick.

The reason the Bengals would possibly be open to that trade is that Williams (who many on here wanted us to draft) isn't very good and has a big salary.  I don't  think he d help us much.  Ask your self why the Bengals would trade a former first rd pick when they want to protect their  QB.

Panthers won't be the only team whose O-Line gets embarrassed by the Jets pass rush this year.

Obviously it would be great to have depth at every position but we do not have that.  Offensive line may be dangerously thin for  us and if we can find a trading partner with good a match talent-wise then a trade makes perfect sense.

If someone needs to go then my own preference would be to move on from Carl Lawson but if they were thinking along those lines then Lawson would be being showcased now and he is not.  Lawson is on the expensive side and his age profile does not fit in with the youth movement everywhere else.

I think in this era, if you want to construct a great defense, you'd want to have a really good pass rush and a great secondary.  It's too early to be certain but, as of right now, it does feel like we have the right ingredients. 

If we (finally) get a break in terms of health this year (on both sides of the ball) and the OL outperforms expectations, we should be a very tough opponent, even for the good teams.

Can't fathom what this CS / FO has against Huff. Always hear his name bantered about either for not getting enough playing time, or being traded. Bottom line is the guy makes plays every time he is on the field. To me, he's a keeper long term.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, ASH1962 said:

Can't fathom what this CS / FO has against Huff. Always hear his name bantered about either for not getting enough playing time, or being traded. Bottom line is the guy makes plays every time he is on the field. To me, he's a keeper long term.

I like him a lot also. I would rather see them trade Lawson to get some Oline help. 

5 hours ago, Alka said:

If you doubt that the Jets defensive line humiliated the Panthers offensive line, then you need to read what some of the Panthers who played last night had to say.  Immediately after the game, the Panthers offensive line got together to have an impromptu meeting, and talk about how they basically need to get their sh*t together.  The Jets did not have their front line defensive line starters playing last night, which included Q Williams, Lawson, JFM, and Woods.  On the other hand, 4 out of the 5 starters on the Panthers offensive line started last night, and this was the same Panthers line for all of 2022, so no new faces. 

Quite frankly, I believe that last night sent a message to the entire NFL, and that message was that the Jets defensive line is legit, and things will not be easy going up against them.  One of the things I read was from a Panthers writer, who said that one of the positives after last nights game was that the Panthers will not have to face the Jets defensive line this upcoming season.

What else can we learn from the defensive line performance from last night?  Here are my takeaways:

1. The Jets have legitimate defensive line trading pieces before the start of this season to see if they can upgrade the offensive line.  I mean, the d line is so deep, that to not inquire about upgrading the left or right tackle position would be a disservice to the Jets team.

2. If the Jets were to seek a trade, who should they consider trading?   For me, Carl Lawson and Huff are a couple of names I would consider.  I would consider them because they could get us a reasonable return.  To me, the only d line player not to even consider would be Quinnen Williams, since he is the mega star of that line. 

3. Another take away is that I still don't understand why the Jets keep on piling on a defensive line unit that is beyond stout and deep?  The Jets drafted a D line player in the first round last year, 4th round last year, and 1st round this year.  I understand Saleh's obsession with the D line, but I feel it is to the detriment to other positions, like offensive tackle and linebacker, just to name 2 positions where I still see weaknesses.

4.  Right now, I count 14 defensive line players on the Jets roster right now.  And we just brought in this guy Hector, who looked good last night, but again, why did the Jets feel the need to bring in another defensive line player?  LOL.   How many D line players will the Jets carry?  I wonder who the Jets are going to cut, and who will be there to be scooped up by other teams.

Probably becat the last time Rodgers had a def that could be top 5 he won a Superbowl 

In today's NFL great defenses need to be able to get stops against top-tier QBs. To do that you need:

1) An elite pass rush.

2) Top tier cover CBs

I think there's a chance Jets have both -- which is by design and how this thing was built. We have weaknesses -- we may occasionally get gashed in the run game and I suspect we'll get killed by screens or by good TEs and RBs in space. But by and large this is a talented defensive unit built for today's NFL.

If the offense can get us leads we're going to win a lot of games.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Alka said:

We’re a win now team but we should help another win now team?

if they got a good offer he’s gone otherwise he can help the team now

• WTF? 1

2 hours ago, ASH1962 said:

Because he’s a situational pass rusher and we have others who can get to the QB, players who aren’t a liability against the run?  He’s great but he’s not as good as others so is the one who likely is going when he hits or nears FA.  Let someone else give him the money he’s going to want.  Perfect situation his time has come to get paid and we’ve added JJ and McDonald

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Bowles Movement said:

The reason the Bengals would possibly be open to that trade is that Williams (who many on here wanted us to draft) isn't very good and has a big salary.  I don't  think he d help us much.  Ask your self why the Bengals would trade a former first rd pick when they want to protect their  QB.

I believe the Bengals view him as a primary backup to their current starting tackles.  He played left tackle last season, and gave up 12 sacks, which I must admit is not great.  And there is a difference between left and right tackle.  Perhaps he would do better at right tackle?

From what I read, he is not happy being a backup tackle, and is in his final year of his contract, so moving him might be a benefit for the Bengals depending on the return.  In any case, I'm sure the Jets are on top of this player, and if he was worth it, they would be making an offer to the Bengals.