Jermaine Johnson vs Will McDonald

Rhg1084

Both these guys look poised for huge years. These 2 are freaks coming off the edge! Going to cause lots of problems for opposing OLines. Who has the higher ceiling and will be the better player? JJ obviously has a year experience under his belt already. Meanwhile Will McDonald look’s unblockable 

• Upvote 3

50 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

Both these guys look poised for huge years. These 2 are freaks coming off the edge! Going to cause lots of problems for opposing OLines. Who has the higher ceiling and will be the better player? JJ obviously has a year experience under his belt already. Meanwhile Will McDonald look’s unblockable 

Both have a high ceiling but I’d say McDonald’s is higher because of his twitch and bend.

He’s a little slow off the snap, just like JJ was last year.  BUT, I have no doubt he’ll speed this up just like JJ did this year.  A small nitpick but noticeable when watching him play.

I think JJ can be a poor man’s TJ Watt.  Athletic, fast, strong, long arms, good IQ.  But less bend.

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, Darnold's Forehead said:

JFM and Lawson are still ahead of them on the depth chart, I believe.  I think they both will at least start out receiving less of the snaps.  Hopefully they make an impact with those.

It will be interesting to see who Saleh routinely plays on obvious passing downs.  I think Huff has shown enough to be one of those guys.

Those 3rd downs are probably where Saleh slides JFM inside next to QW to rush the passer.  It think McDonald and Huff would be the obvious speed demons rushing from the outside but that's just pure gas rather than playing more complete guys like JJ and Lawson.

The Jets will be stuck with a good problem to have, choosing between 5-6 very capable pass rushers on 3rd and long.

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

5 hours ago, KRL said:

This development will give Douglas HUGE flexibility if he needs to trade

for anything during the season.  Bryce Huff would be very attractive as

a trade piece 

100%.  I brought this up in the thread that I started today, and got some push back on the thought of trading Huff.  As I said in the thread, the Jets don't trade Huff, unless they are happy with the return.  If the trade doesn't make the team better, then you don't trade him.  It's that simple.

• Upvote 1

I think that JFM needs to be a full time DT unless there is an injury.  The depth is just too great to give him regular snaps at DE.

First off, JJ looks like he is ready for a beast of a season and as much as I like JFM, he just doesnt possess the physical or athletic upside of these other players. JJ is great against the run and looks like he has improved his pass rushing so he should be the early down DE opposite of Lawson.  Lawson should be out there as a veteran and also as someone to eat up snaps on early downs.

The reason I dont see JJ playing much on passing downs is that McDonald looks that good.  Putting him opposite Huff with JFM and QW inside is an incredibly difficult group to have to block. McDonald can be brought along slowly, develop some size and be fresh to rush the passer with Huff.  

Now, how you find snaps for Clemons and Quinton Jefferson is a different conversation but we may wind up with talented guys being inactive or barely playing which is ok early in the season.

Maybe we move Huff for an OT?

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Darnold's Forehead said:

JFM and Lawson are still ahead of them on the depth chart, I believe.  I think they both will at least start out receiving less of the snaps.  Hopefully they make an impact with those.

It will be interesting to see who Saleh routinely plays on obvious passing downs.  I think Huff has shown enough to be one of those guys.

JFM is the most 'overrated', 'underrated' player on this team.  Lawson should see his snaps go down in favor of both mcdonald and JJ.  IMO.

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, Zachtomims47 said:

McDonald needs to ask and follow exactly what JJ did this off-season. If he bulks up like he did.  Phew boy. 

Not at the expense of his agility, the #1 correlative factor for pass rushing success.

K.E. = 1/2 m * v²

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

JFM is the most 'overrated', 'underrated' player on this team.  Lawson should see his snaps go down in favor of both mcdonald and JJ.  IMO.

Lawson is an anvil. He needs a hammer to deliver the blow. His best sack year was with all-world Geno Atkins opposite him.

• Upvote 2

The d-line depth has the potential to really wear down opposing o-lines. Usually when the starter comes out you get fresh legs but they aren't at the level of the starter skill wise so it's a bit of a break blocking them. There will be no breaks. If the offense can hold up it's end of the bargain it seems we're built to finish games.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

5 hours ago, Darnold's Forehead said:

Huff and McDonald flying off the edge with Q and JFM collapsing the middle will be lethal.  Book It!

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, KRL said:

a trade piece 

Yes he would be attractive to trade but I would hold on to him as we appear to have the personal for 2 very strong and balanced pass rush lines.  McD & Huff , Lawson and JJ . 

One injury or worse two to the edge guys and we get defanged from having 60 minutes of constant pressure as Buffalo did last year with Von Miller out for the playoffs. 

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, hawk said:

JFM should be in the DT rotation, not DE.  He got his raise at DT.  Moved outside took a few steps back.

Yup, I agree as Bart Scott was just saying the same that JFM is key and needs to be the one to step up his inside game next to Q with the pass rushers they now have. 

9 hours ago, Rhg1084 said:

You’re kinda jumping the gun here aren’t you? Can we wait until one of them actually accomplishes something?

9 minutes ago, Green Ghost said:

You’re kinda jumping the gun here aren’t you? Can we wait until one of them actually accomplishes something?

I’m just saying they both look real good this camp/preseason games. Both young guys who look promising. Not “jumping the gun”

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, hawk said:

JFM should be in the DT rotation, not DE.  He got his raise at DT.  Moved outside took a few steps back.

He got his extension in his first few games with Robert Saleh, which means he played 4-3 DE when he got extended. He’s played full time DE for two years and had an overall grade above 80 from PFF last year and was in the top quarter in pass rush win rate. 

He’s been a top tier DE for 2 years now.

10 hours ago, KRL said:

a trade piece 

EXACTLY

Will McDonald and Bryce Huff are getting a huge amount of playing time. McDonald is being developed and a Huff is being showcased.  He doesn’t need the reps, we know exactly what he is and what he can do- we’re showing the rest of the league.

4 hours ago, SoJetsy said:

Fellas just remember the days and years when these idiot GMs just refused to draft a pass rusher......

Really?  No pass rushers drafted since we drafted Abraham?

Was Bryan Thomas (1st round pick, 2002) not supposed to be a pass rusher (8.5 and 6.0 sack seasons, 33.5 sacks over 11 seasons)?

Was Dewayne Robertson (1st round, 2003) not supposed to be a pass rusher (Bust, 16 sacks over 6 seasons)?

Was Vernon Gholston (1st round, 2008) not supposed to be a pass rusher (Historic Bust, no sacks over only 3 seasons)?

Was Muhammad Wilkerson (1st round, 2011) not supposed to be a pass rusher (10.5 and 12.0 sack seasons, 44.5 sacks over 8 seasons)?

Was Quinton Coples (1st round, 2012) not supposed to be a pass rusher (5.5 and 6.5 sack seasons, 16.5 sacks over only 4 seasons)?

Was Sheldon Richardson (1st round, 2013) not supposed to be a pass rusher (8.0 sack season, 33.5 sacks over 9 seasons)?

Was Leonard Williams (1st round, 2015) not supposed to be a pass rusher (11.5 and 7.0 sack seasons, 38.0 sacks over 8 seasons)?

Sorry, but it seems like all we've done since Abe in 2000 is try to and draft more Abes, using an 7x #1 picks since 2000 trying to find another Abraham, prior to "this regime", and "this regime" has used another 3x #1 picks since then, QWilliams in 2019, Johnson in 2022 and McDonald in 2023) on pass rushers themselves.  That's 10x #1 picks in 23 seasons on hoped-for pass rushers.

"Idiot GM's not drafting pass rushers" does not seem to be the issue in NY. 

Those many pass rushers either just weren't as good, or were only good for short period of time.

John Abraham was the last pure rusher since this regime!.

He's certainly the best pass rusher we've had since 2000 (with ~50 sacks over six season in NY).  With that said, more of his resume came in Atlanta then in NY, and he was a quitter on his team here.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, kdels62 said:

He got his extension in his first few games with Robert Saleh, which means he played 4-3 DE when he got extended. He’s played full time DE for two years and had an overall grade above 80 from PFF last year and was in the top quarter in pass rush win rate. 

He’s been a top tier DE for 2 years now.

Oh, sorry he got his raise as s DT and  a few games at DE.