Becton better than you think.

Overall not bad, but he did look a bit slow/rusty at times, which is to be expected considering he hasn't played in 2 years. If he stays healthy he'll be fine. BTW the talk of an OL starved team either trading or cutting Becton is silly.

• Upvote 3

18 minutes ago, sirlancemehlot said:

Stealing the "every snap video" idea from Bla Bla Bla--credit to him.

Becton's video is surprisingly solid.  Other than the twist play he (and the guard) failed to pick up, he was an asset.  Check out the run blocking at 2:39.

It's is nice to see him play not hurt. Amazing that a top talented kid that is healthy plays decent.

Hope he can keep stacking good day and stay healthy this season

Not sure he will be amazing but I think more than enough to help. Rookie year him would be good enough and I expect he will play a little better than that this year

• Upvote 2

What I saw today in the various reaction/grading/evaluation stuff was the run blocking is ahead of the pass protection 

this is a big week for him. 

the shared practices and the next game he has to show he can play to the play count, but no ME’s and protect Zach. 

Zach is also being developed lol, and I think they will add in more intermediate stuff, maybe play action. 

Is it already too late for him to earn reps with the One’s?  It might be.  

He may be looking at starting the year inactive on game day. 

• Upvote 2

18 hours ago, sirlancemehlot said:

Stealing the "every snap video" idea from Bla Bla Bla--credit to him.

Becton's video is surprisingly solid.  Other than the twist play he (and the guard) failed to pick up, he was an asset.  Check out the run blocking at 2:39.

Becton's run blocking will be top level because he's dictating to the defenders, but when you have to pass block and get beat by speed as easily as he does that's going to be an issue. Make no mistake the most important job on the field is protecting Aaron Rodgers and if Becton still can't deal with speed rushers he will not be on the field. As of this time only the coaches know how much he's improved vs speed rushers in relation to Lawson basically destroying him a few years back . This will be the single most important thing he must improve in to have any chance of being our starting LT.

18 hours ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

Respectfully, why huge trouble?

If there is any exaggerated adjective, it should be his related to his run blocking where he routinely moves defenders out of the way.  

His floor on pass blocking is mediocre.  The guy gave up 7 sacks as a rookie.  What is on tape that tells you he is going to have ‘huge’ trouble as a pass blocker vs really good pass rushers — some of whom he held his own against as a rookie.  

Something else from his rookie year or his 1 start last year?  

I just think it sounds like a narrative, maybe from some camp reports the last 2 years when matched up against Carl Lawson.  Years in which he was out of shape, last year grossly out of shape and apparently still injured.

The guy is a talent.  I’m not going to defend his attitude (entitlement traits), social media career or his prior weight problems.  But I have yet to see tape to back up such negative views on his pass blocking.

Why huge trouble ? Because he could not block Carl Lawson in practice who is a good speed rusher not great but good. In the HOF game he initially got beat by a rusher named Isiah Thomas then recovered if that was an elite rusher no way in hell he recovers from getting beat off the ball like that. In this last game he got left flat footed by another non starter . So he got beat on the outside and the inside. If anyone does not see this as a huge red flag in protection they are not paying attention. Why ? because those speed rushers probably wont be on  an NFL field this year or any year. Becton playing LT vs the elite speed rushers the NFL has to offer scares the living hell out of me. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

18 hours ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

Respectfully, why huge trouble?

If there is any exaggerated adjective, it should be his related to his run blocking where he routinely moves defenders out of the way.  

His floor on pass blocking is mediocre.  The guy gave up 7 sacks as a rookie.  What is on tape that tells you he is going to have ‘huge’ trouble as a pass blocker vs really good pass rushers — some of whom he held his own against as a rookie.  

Something else from his rookie year or his 1 start last year?  

I just think it sounds like a narrative, maybe from some camp reports the last 2 years when matched up against Carl Lawson.  Years in which he was out of shape, last year grossly out of shape and apparently still injured.

The guy is a talent.  I’m not going to defend his attitude (entitlement traits), social media career or his prior weight problems.  But I have yet to see tape to back up such negative views on his pass blocking.

His rookie year he went up against some of the leagues best edge rushers and did better than fine.    I’d guess he could at least get back to that level this year.

• Upvote 1

It's funny, I was at a family thing and couldn't watch most of the game, so I had to rely on the GDT here to stay updated.  Going by that thread I assumed Becton was getting torched left and right, fell on his ass, butt fumbled and then Antonio Brown'd himself out of the game.  Maybe stepped on a couple puppies along the way.

Much to my surprise he actually had a solid day.  The one miscommunication sack, which is whatever to me.  That seems like an easier thing to fix than, say, him just getting taken to the woodshed.  Not to say he dominated or looked elite, but he looked good.  Really don't understand the desire with some to see this dude fail.   

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, Smashmouth said:

Why huge trouble ? Because he could not block Carl Lawson in practice who is a good speed rusher not great but good. In the HOF game he initially got beat by a rusher named Isiah Thomas then recovered if that was an elite rusher no way in hell he recovers from getting beat off the ball like that. In this last game he got left flat footed by another non starter . So he got beat on the outside and the inside. If anyone does not see this as a huge red flag in protection they are not paying attention. Why ? because those speed rushers probably wont be on  an NFL field this year or any year. Becton playing LT vs the elite speed rushers the NFL has to offer scares the living hell out of me. 

He didn’t get beat this game because of talent, he got beat because of miscommunication on a stunt.

He was downright near flawless in pass pro this game.  If you want to debate let’s head over to the thread with his tape.  I’ll debate you all day.  He was also very good against the Browns.

Last year or the year before when he was out of shape?  Who cares?  Maybe he’s not a practice player.  Maybe he was severely out of shape?

Im talking about what’s been on tape in actual games.  And this year?   Show me, from his rooke year on the worst offense in the league to now where he has struggled mightily in pass pro.

Show me and I’ll shut up.  

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Smashmouth said:

Becton's run blocking will be top level because he's dictating to the defenders, but when you have to pass block and get beat by speed as easily as he does that's going to be an issue. Make no mistake the most important job on the field is protecting Aaron Rodgers and if Becton still can't deal with speed rushers he will not be on the field. As of this time only the coaches know how much he's improved vs speed rushers in relation to Lawson basically destroying him a few years back . This will be the single most important thing he must improve in to have any chance of being our starting LT.

Didn’t becton fare pretty well against garret his rookie season? If he can play a full game he’ll be more than fine.  He really just needs to make sure there isn’t a free rusher from his side. Rodgers will make quick throwing decisions and that will reduce the time needed to hold blocks.

He was ok in the game. He still seems to be nursing the knee which is understandable and probably expected by the coaching staff. When will he be able to play a full game? Will he look serviceable against starters playing at full intensity? I'm not sure what they answers are to either of those questions. A lot can change between now and week one but I don't get the impression that he is auditioning for a starting job right now. 

27 minutes ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

He didn’t get beat this game because of talent, he got beat because of miscommunication on a stunt.

He was downright near flawless in pass pro this game.  If you want to debate let’s head over to the thread with his tape.  I’ll debate you all day.  He was also very good against the Browns.

Last year or the year before when he was out of shape?  Who cares?  Maybe he’s not a practice player.  Maybe he was severely out of shape?

Im talking about what’s been on tape in actual games.  And this year?   Show me, from his rooke year on the worst offense in the league to now where he has struggled mightily in pass pro.

Show me and I’ll shut up.  

you debate consists of him blocking players that will not be in the NFL Im not going to waste my time debating that. I see some issues in his game that I pointed out in that thread and the only way that will be realized is when he actually plays full time vs top end talent. I don't care if it was a stunt his job is to recognize those things and at the very least get a hat on the guy which he in fact did not on the play in question.  So the way I see it he did not play well on 2 plays 1 in each game vs no talent hacks. You have your opinion and I'm fine with that and I respect it so we'll just have to wait and see.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Bowles Movement said:

His rookie year he went up against some of the leagues best edge rushers and did better than fine.    I’d guess he could at least get back to that level this year.

Not universally, but I do accept he was just a rookie.

Looked like a stud against Bosa, but not so against Garrett, if I'm remembering correctly.

The #4 bust pick on the Raiders also had a game for himself against Becton: a couple sacks (both were strip sacks) in our "YES! We're still getting Trevor Lawrence!" game that got Gregg Williams fired. Here's one of them:

Rookies are often inconsistent, though. I was as excited for him in y2 as anyone on the team at that point, but he wasn't universally awesome in pass blocking from start to finish, aside from pulling himself due to conditioning issues. 

Hopefully he'll be of use in this final year here. It seems pretty clear he's going to be a backup unless there are enough tackle injuries again.

16 minutes ago, rangerous said:

Didn’t becton fare pretty well against garret his rookie season? If he can play a full game he’ll be more than fine.  He really just needs to make sure there isn’t a free rusher from his side. Rodgers will make quick throwing decisions and that will reduce the time needed to hold blocks.

No, Garrett pantsed him. You're thinking of Bosa.

• Upvote 3

20 hours ago, ChewyandtheJets said:

To me he just seems like the big kid the coach convinces to play.   Doesn’t look like he has any interest in being out there.  No nasty streak at all.  Seems to take every other play off.  On the play where he face planted himself I will never understand what he was trying to  accomplish.  

That's a designed "cut block" but legal since he dives into space instead of toward the defenders knees.  Its designed to slow the rusher and keep his hands down.  If you re-watch the game you'll see at least two other tackles do the same thing.  Not a fan of it myself. OL should always keep their feet imo.

• Upvote 1