Jump to content

Trey Lance


SoJetsy

Recommended Posts

11 minutes ago, Paradis said:

Not sure what happened to the collective scouting community that year. They had it right in December- Lawrence & Fields…

then everyone took a bunch LSD and re did their QB boards. 

Fields will flame out within 2 years. Sooner if he gets injured. He is a rb playing qb

  • Upvote 5
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Sympathy 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

57 minutes ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

The Lance pick was much much worse than the Wilson pick for a number of reasons, but because it was the 49ers and not the Jets who made the pick, the screw up is ignored.

First, the 49ers traded up to get Lance, giving up the 12th pick in round 1 in 2021, plus first round picks in 22 and 23 (and a 3rd in 2021).  So Lance cost the 49ers 4 picks - the first round pick (at 3) to pick him, plus firsts in 22 and 23 and a 3rd in 21.

Second, the 49ers were a playoff caliber team already and got extremely lucky the the Lance whiff did not cost them more.  They tried like hell. to trade Garappolo prior to the 2022 season and didn't even invite him to training camp last season.  The only thing that saved them was Garappolo having a shoulder injury and no team would trade for him until it healed, which did not happen until September of last season. The 49ers - Lynch and Shanahan, were fully committed to going with Lance in 22 with a SB caliber team.  

Then, when Garappolo went down late last season, the 49ers struck gold with Purdy.  

The Jets, on the other hand, only invested one first round pick in Wilson.  That is two firsts and a third less than the 49ers committed to Lance.  

 

 

Problem is, we traded up to take Darnold with the 3rd overall pick before using the second one on Wilson 3 years later.

That’s some world class drafting right there!

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

57 minutes ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

The Lance pick was much much worse than the Wilson pick for a number of reasons, but because it was the 49ers and not the Jets who made the pick, the screw up is ignored.

First, the 49ers traded up to get Lance, giving up the 12th pick in round 1 in 2021, plus first round picks in 22 and 23 (and a 3rd in 2021).  So Lance cost the 49ers 4 picks - the first round pick (at 3) to pick him, plus firsts in 22 and 23 and a 3rd in 21.

Second, the 49ers were a playoff caliber team already and got extremely lucky the the Lance whiff did not cost them more.  They tried like hell. to trade Garappolo prior to the 2022 season and didn't even invite him to training camp last season.  The only thing that saved them was Garappolo having a shoulder injury and no team would trade for him until it healed, which did not happen until September of last season. The 49ers - Lynch and Shanahan, were fully committed to going with Lance in 22 with a SB caliber team.  

Then, when Garappolo went down late last season, the 49ers struck gold with Purdy.  

The Jets, on the other hand, only invested one first round pick in Wilson.  That is two firsts and a third less than the 49ers committed to Lance.  

 

 

Another way to look at it is the 49ers 3rd overall pick was worth 2 firsts and a third.  The Jets had the 2nd overall pick, worth more than the 3rd.  So I disagree with "the Jets only invested one first round pick in Wilson."  It was the 2nd overall pick of the draft.

Especially in a draft with several high profile QBs.  The Jets could have gotten even more than what the niners got.  Instead, they essentially got less than nothing with Wilson (he has been a detriment to this team.)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I actually thought he looked much better than he was getting credit for through 1.5 games last season especially with week 1 being in a monsoon in chicago , I don’t remember his stats but I remember he had like 6-8 incompletions in the final 5 minutes when it was torrential downpour … I’m not saying it was smart for SF to package everything to go up and get him but I was kind of bummed when he went down last season , I saw money making opportunity betting against the anti-Lance narrative that seemed way overblown


Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Paradis said:

Not sure what happened to the collective scouting community that year. They had it right in December- Lawrence & Fields…

then everyone took a bunch LSD and re did their QB boards. 

think the Niners got the second best one in that draft anyways 

  • Thumb Down 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Paradis said:

Not sure what happened to the collective scouting community that year. They had it right in December- Lawrence & Fields…

then everyone took a bunch LSD and re did their QB boards. 

The scouting community has been taking LSD for a while now w/ QB's.  I think they took some Double Skull and Crossbones when Trubisky shot up over Mahomes and Watson.   And then the other part of the community who took the Blue Liger and were chanting suck for Sam.  Then that draft came and someone passed around the Brown sh*t and Baker Mayfield went #1 overall before sucky Sam and Josh Allen and Lamar Jackson. 

I assume JD got a hold of the Triple Pink Dots when he took Zach Wilson over Justin Fields.

 

  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Problem is, we traded up to take Darnold with the 3rd overall pick before using the second one on Wilson 3 years later.
That’s some world class drafting right there!
Who went before Darnold ?? ... Oh yeah...

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, JiF said:

The scouting community has been taking LSD for a while now w/ QB's.  I think they took some Double Skull and Crossbones when Trubisky shot up over Mahomes and Watson.   And then the other part of the community who took the Blue Liger and were chanting suck for Sam.  Then that draft came and someone passed around the Brown sh*t and Baker Mayfield went #1 overall before sucky Sam and Josh Allen and Lamar Jackson. 

I assume JD got a hold of the Triple Pink Dots when he took Zach Wilson over Justin Fields.

 

GIF by South Park

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Some of us on here wanted to hold the fort with Darnold for one more year or still trade Darnold but bring in a vet. Then  we then could have made that trade with the Niners for the same bounty they paid for lance.   If we missed out on Lawrence i was all for trading down.

I was definitely in the “trade down and wait until next year” camp, but then “next year!” was Kenny Pickett and Malik Willis, so at least Douglas can hang his hat on taking his shot when he had to. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, T0mShane said:

There’s something to the old Parcells rule about only drafting QBs who’ve had 30 starts. I kinda believe that Shanahan wanted Mac Jones at 3

The rumor is that they wanted Mac when they made the trade but then got talked into the shiny lambo dreams pre-draft. Shannahan has long been in love with Cousins and saw Mac Jones as a younger version of him.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...