Trey Lance

SoJetsy

11 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I was definitely in the “trade down and wait until next year” camp, but then “next year!” was Kenny Pickett and Malik Willis, so at least Douglas can hang his hat on taking his shot when he had to. 

Like 7 out of the top 10 guys in that draft have a shot at the HOF. We should have gone the veteran route and not take the risk of a Covid year scouting process + bad QB following year.

if we had a healthy Jimmy G last year we are in the playoffs with a defense that can shock anyone.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Darnold Schwarzenegger said:

Trey Lance > ZW

and Trey Lance sucks balls

Neither one is a starting NFL QB, so they both are equally bad.  It's stupid to compare which of two terrible QBs whose careers are on the brink is worse.  When you use the 2nd and 3rd picks in a draft on a QB, the QB has to be a franchise QB for the pick to be good. If both are back ups at best, they are both equally bad picks.

I think a lot of the people in the draft forum mentioned it, but I have no idea why Lance went ahead of Fields.  I think I said it at the time, there was nothing on tape or athletically that says Lance is better.  I think the collective theory was that either Fields was bombing the interview process or that epilepsy issue was a major concern for some teams.  

• Upvote 2

15 hours ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

The Lance pick was much much worse than the Wilson pick for a number of reasons, but because it was the 49ers and not the Jets who made the pick, the screw up is ignored.

First, the 49ers traded up to get Lance, giving up the 12th pick in round 1 in 2021, plus first round picks in 22 and 23 (and a 3rd in 2021).  So Lance cost the 49ers 4 picks - the first round pick (at 3) to pick him, plus firsts in 22 and 23 and a 3rd in 21.

Second, the 49ers were a playoff caliber team already and got extremely lucky the the Lance whiff did not cost them more.  They tried like hell. to trade Garappolo prior to the 2022 season and didn't even invite him to training camp last season.  The only thing that saved them was Garappolo having a shoulder injury and no team would trade for him until it healed, which did not happen until September of last season. The 49ers - Lynch and Shanahan, were fully committed to going with Lance in 22 with a SB caliber team.  

Then, when Garappolo went down late last season, the 49ers struck gold with Purdy.  

The Jets, on the other hand, only invested one first round pick in Wilson.  That is two firsts and a third less than the 49ers committed to Lance.  

Drafting Zach cost us 3 first and a third. If we'd stayed with Sam, we'd have had all those high draft picks. By drafting Z, we walked away from all those high draft picks. Heck, if the 9ers were getting the #2 overall, they may have given up 5 first round picks 🤣

14 hours ago, Green Ghost said:

Yeah. They’re really hurting…. 🙄

So you’re thinking is they wouldn’t want those picks back?  
But the picks for Darnold and then using a pick on Wilson is a drafting issue ignoring it was two different staffs?

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

So you’re thinking is they wouldn’t want those picks back?  
But the picks for Darnold and then using a pick on Wilson is a drafting issue ignoring it was two different staffs?

No. I simply made a comment regarding the 49ers to a Jets fan who was mocking them for drafting a bad QB.

IMO that’s something a Jet fan should never make fun of another team doing. It’s the equivalent of a 300 pound person fat shaming someone else.

17 hours ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

The Lance pick was much much worse than the Wilson pick for a number of reasons, but because it was the 49ers and not the Jets who made the pick, the screw up is ignored.

First, the 49ers traded up to get Lance, giving up the 12th pick in round 1 in 2021, plus first round picks in 22 and 23 (and a 3rd in 2021).  So Lance cost the 49ers 4 picks - the first round pick (at 3) to pick him, plus firsts in 22 and 23 and a 3rd in 21.

Second, the 49ers were a playoff caliber team already and got extremely lucky the the Lance whiff did not cost them more.  They tried like hell. to trade Garappolo prior to the 2022 season and didn't even invite him to training camp last season.  The only thing that saved them was Garappolo having a shoulder injury and no team would trade for him until it healed, which did not happen until September of last season. The 49ers - Lynch and Shanahan, were fully committed to going with Lance in 22 with a SB caliber team.  

Then, when Garappolo went down late last season, the 49ers struck gold with Purdy.  

The Jets, on the other hand, only invested one first round pick in Wilson.  That is two firsts and a third less than the 49ers committed to Lance.  

Lance could still become and all pro safety.  Zach probably can't play on special teams.  

• More Ugh 1

18 hours ago, neckdemon said:

Fields will flame out within 2 years. Sooner if he gets injured. He is a rb playing qb

Still was a far better prospect than Wilson and Lance so how is he wrong?

You could argue that Fields wasn't the pick at 2, that it was a 1-QB class or whatever.  But Wilson AND Lance hopping over Fields was the part that made no sense.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Green Ghost said:

No. I simply made a comment regarding the 49ers to a Jets fan who was mocking them for drafting a bad QB.

IMO that’s something a Jet fan should never make fun of another team doing. It’s the equivalent of a 300 pound person fat shaming someone else.

It’s kind of irrelevant since they took the second best QB in the draft anyways. Purdy can play assuming his arm is healed.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Jetsfan80 said:

Still was a far better prospect than Wilson and Lance so how is he wrong?

I don't understand this reasoning. If Fields fails to become a franchise QB in the next two seasons and is not given a 5th year option and a new contract, he is a bust as well.  And he will have wasted 4 years for the Bears.  A bust QB is a bust.  If  a QB becomes a  star  or a franchise/starting QB beyond the rookie contract, he's not a bust. Otherwise, the QB failed and the team needs another QB regardless of the degree of bad play.  A bad Fields being "better" than Wilson means absolutely nothing for the Bears.  Some people are just dying to label Wilson as the worst draft pick of all time and want to justify their view that Fields or Jones were betters, but failure is failure.  The Jets have already moved on to another QB, as have the 49ers and the Bears and the Pats may do so as well.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

I don't understand this reasoning. If Fields fails to become a franchise QB in the next two seasons and is not given a 5th year option and a new contract, he is a bust as well.  And he will have wasted 4 years for the Bears.  A bust QB is a bust.  If  a QB becomes a  star  or a franchise/starting QB beyond the rookie contract, he's not a bust. Otherwise, the QB failed and the team needs another QB regardless of the degree of bad play.  A bad Fields being "better" than Wilson means absolutely nothing for the Bears.  Some people are just dying to label Wilson as the worst draft pick of all time and want to justify their view that Fields or Jones were betters, but failure is failure.  The Jets have already moved on to another QB, as have the 49ers and the Bears and the Pats may do so as well.

Fields has a shot at being a FQB with the team that drafted him.  Zach and Lance do not.  That makes Fields a far better pick, and he was clearly a better prospect coming out about whom GM's went into overthink mode for some reason.  

Fields currently has the 9th-best odds at NFL MVP in 2023, btw.  Vegas clearly is a lot more bullish than you are, if that matters at all.  The Bears themselves seem bullish too given how they've built around him.  He's an exciting, ascending player.  Wilson is boring AF and Lance is buried on the depth chart.  

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Some of us on here wanted to hold the fort with Darnold for one more year or still trade Darnold but bring in a vet. Then  we then could have made that trade with the Niners for the same bounty they paid for lance.   If we missed out on Lawrence i was all for trading down.

I was a part of the "give Darnold another year" crew, but instead of trading down I wanted to just take Chase.

Looking back though I'm happy with how things turned out.  Obviously you don't want to completely whiff on a 2nd overall, but if we delay the QB hunt for another year, perhaps we end up trading for Russell Wilson or Deshaun Watson, or drafting Kenny Pickett at 10 instead of Garrett Wilson.  Especially if we just drafted Jamarr Chase.  My guess is, if we held Darnold, drafted Chase, and ended up with the same picks in 2022 - we probably trade that G Wilson pick for Deshaun Watson.  Probably more, tbh.  Cleveland paid three 1sts that year.  So that means no Will McDonald either.  Maybe no Jermaine Johnson, since after trading all that capital for a QB, perhaps we feel differently about packaging picks to move up.  Also, obviously, no Aaron Rodgers.

Hard to say how that Jets team would look.  I'm sure they'd still be good, but I highly doubt they'd be as good(on paper at least) as this Jets team.  As painful as some of the moments were in getting here, I don't think I'd change a thing.  

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Fields has a shot at being a FQB with the team that drafted him.  Zach and Lance do not.  That makes Fields a far better pick, and he was clearly a better prospect coming out about whom GM's went into overthink mode for some reason.  

Fields currently has the 9th-best odds at NFL MVP in 2023, btw.  Vegas clearly is a lot more bullish than you are, if that matters at all.  The Bears themselves seem bullish too given how they've built around him.  He's an exciting, ascending player.  Wilson is boring AF and Lance is buried on the depth chart.  

If Fields develops over the next two years, he will get his second contract and will be a better pick.  If he can't become an NFL level passer, he won't and will be a failure and a bust.  I agree he is exciting, but his value is more geared towards fantasy football than real football (I know you play and so do I).  He can run, but his passing and pocket presence has been atrocious.  I have no issue with the betting odds (there are reasons why some players are good bets), but the Bears need to see him become a passer rather than just a runner. The Bears passing offense last season was from the 1950s.  

• Upvote 2

Like 7 out of the top 10 guys in that draft have a shot at the HOF. We should have gone the veteran route and not take the risk of a Covid year scouting process + bad QB following year.
if we had a healthy Jimmy G last year we are in the playoffs with a defense that can shock anyone.

The problem with that logic is the fact that there has never been a “healthy” Jimmy G, anywhere.
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

so the giants have a FQB?