Todd Bowles back at 1 Jets drive….Why did he fail here?

2 minutes ago, FreddyGotFingered said:

Has to be a surreal feeling for him. What do you think was the ultimate cause of his downfall? 

Many causes but #1 is garbage QB play as it is for basically every failed coach except for the maniac outliers like Urban Meyer. We can certainly argue forever, if history is any guide, whether it's on him that he failed to develop Geno or Darnold.

A distant #2 I'd say weak coaching staff hires.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, jgb said:

Many causes but #1 is garbage QB play as it is for basically every failed coach except for the maniac outliers like Urban Meyer. We can certainly argue forever, if history is any guide, whether it's on him that he failed to develop Geno or Darnold.

A distant #2 I'd say weak coaching staff hires.

Not really fair on Geno. He was hurt both years under Bowles. Darnold certainly looked more promising his rookie year than year 2 or 3. 

He didn't have a very good roster, and lacked the coaching ability to mask those deficiencies. Part of that is on him, part of it is the sub-par staffs he assembled. 

To me, he always seemed a bit too pliable and willing to go along with whatever the front office gave him.

He's been a very good DC, but I don't think he's cut out to be an NFL head coach.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, FreddyGotFingered said:

Not really fair on Geno. He was hurt both years under Bowles. Darnold certainly looked more promising his rookie year than year 2 or 3. 

Yeah, it's fair regarding Geno. He was already pretty much DOA under Rex.

14 minutes ago, FreddyGotFingered said:

Has to be a surreal feeling for him. What do you think was the ultimate cause of his downfall? 

The Front Office was a problem.

Bowles is a very good D-Co, but a far less effective Head Coach.  Pretty common, coaching a unit is different than managing an entire team and the staff.

2 minutes ago, FreddyGotFingered said:

Knowing what we know about Geno now really wonder how he’d have looked in 2015 under Gailey throwing to prime Decker and Marshall

Personal opinion alert: Geno's issue was maturity both as a person and as a professional athlete -- who can forget him missing the walk-through in San Diego and coming up with a laughable and facially-disprovable excuse. There's no substitute for time spent gaining life experience to gain maturity. So I still don't think he could've ever been for the Jets what has was last year for SEA. Remember: he displayed this immaturity after leaving the Jets -- he lost his playbook for the Giants and didn't notify anyone until they asked for his team ipad back at the end of the year then checked and he hadn't used it for months, and he also had a pretty embarrassing arrest like 2 years ago.

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, FreddyGotFingered said:

He was a bad head coach.  His clock management was terrible.  He was a defensive coach with a bad defense and his offense and special teams were worse.  No passion or charisma.

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Cause he didnt have a pulse.  I questioned sometimes if he was even alive on the sidelines.

This. And his pressers were SUPER boring....put ppl to sleep zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. Sports writers asked Woody to fire him (I'm pretty sure).

But ur right...his sideline demeanor was horrible too...just stands there with his arms crossed staring into deep space. 

• Upvote 1

Bowles had a horrible GM and was too much of a players coach to get much from the vet players.  There was poor on field leadership from guys like wilky or the hit man.  The whole late signing of fitzy didn’t do the 2016 team any favors.  And then Mac follows up with such a qb stalwart in mccown.

To me, he failed because he had no accountability for the team, and the inmates ran the prison more times than not.  As a DC, that's fine because the head coach can run the team culture, and he can focus in on the defense.  I think part of the problem was that he was a former player, that identified with them to the point, that he couldn't see the forest from the trees.  Reminds me of a freshman year high school teacher type, that pushes the "You are almost adults now, you will be treated like adults" speech without a backup plan.  

Few instances:

Geno Punched:  You hear of fights all the time, but you never really hear of the starting QB put in harm's way.  Instead, we have our starting QB with his jaw punched in.  Yeah, he was being arrogant, but so are a ton of people in locker rooms, a good coach will either sniff it out or have veteran leaders that will take care of it.  

Fitzpatrick rant:  In his second year, after throwing 6 interceptions (and I charted that game, there legitimately could have been 11 interceptions), he got benched.  Fitz basically blasted the coach to the press saying he shouldn't be benched, need to be back in.  Any other coach with a spine dealing with a journeyman QB would have released him before the press conference was over.  Bowles?  Put him back in a week later (after Geno got hurt).  

Marshall/Decker:  Marshall revealed in some podcast that him and Decker basically threatened to sit out if Fitzpatrick wasn't resigned, a classic inmates running the asylum scenario.  Two guys with no long term future on the team, preventing them from actually trying to figure out the future of the team.  

Jamal Adams:  I think a lot of the persona created by Adams stems from Bowles not knowing how to keep the locker room united.  He was given free range because he was such a good player, to the point that he was never going to get along with Gase.  

Bucs:  That entire team took a nosedive from Arians to Bowles.  

I think in a coach, being the CEO of the locker room is important, a lot of the successful ones make sure people know of the hierarchy.  I don't think Bowles has that ability, the way to coach people as well as football.  It's not just calling a cover 2 shell into a slot blitz, it's about coaching the DE on the other side to not try to get to the QB on his own, and clog the step up lane against the blitz, selfless football.  

Great Xs and Os guy, especially his aggressiveness on defense.  I liked Rex much better as a coach, because he let players reign as well, but they would run through a wall for him.  

• Upvote 1

Poor roster, rex didn't develop any talent during his time, and the culture Rex left was a free for all. Poor staff hires. The one time his friend he hired as DC wasn't calling the game the D played far better. Todd was a rookie HC aside from a short interim stint so he was lacking experience. Poor qb play which is why I've been screaming for a guy from the O side of the ball to be HC for some time. A poor Gm didn't help either.

1 hour ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

He failed because he is not a good coach.  He made horrible in game decisions with the Jets.  He is a good DC who is over his head as a HC. 

I'd have to go with this.  It seemed like the 2nd half of every game our opponents were able to adjust their game plans and the Jets were not able to recover.

Poor roster, especially at QB minus the one good Fitz year. Like too many DCs turned HCs the front office ends up prioritizing building up the defense likely because the HC weighs in on those decisions.

Like many new HCs he struggled to put together a good coaching staff. It was smart to bring in an experienced OC but Gailey hadn't had a good year coaching in fifteen years by that point. His DC was consistently terrible. Not much better down the line. Really difficult to coach a lackluster roster to success with lackluster coaches. 

Overall he just seemed way out of his element in NY and doesn't seem to be doing great in Tampa either. 

He seems like a good DC but just isn't cut out to be a HC. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Matt39 said:

Bad roster, overly conservative, over focused on defense, let players do whatever they want eg Mo Wilkerson.

Long line of Jets coaches with lousy QBs who tried to win every game 13-10. Part of that was again bad QBs. But also not grasping the rules are designed to pass the ball and handcuff defenses. Defenses  no matter how good they are with the way rules are enforced are going to fail several times every game. You need to throw the ball or you're gonna be behind the 8 ball. 

Was smiling ear to ear the day Jets took Adams with Mahomes and Watson still on the board. Utter stupidity. And then took....another safety

Bowles isn't very bright. Recall an NFC title game 2 years ago where Rams were throwing to Cooper Kupp every down late in the game and he singled him. No feel for the  game.