Saleh unhappy with the play of the OL

https://www.cbs42.com/sports/sports-illustrated/8da5f247/robert-saleh-tore-into-jets-offensive-line-with-expletive-heavy-rant-on-hard-knocks/

The Jets coach was not happy with the play of his offensive line as the team broke down film.

There are high expectations for the Jets in 2023 thanks in large part to the offseason acquisition of future Hall of Fame quarterback Aaron Rodgers. Add in HBO’s selection of the team to be on the hit show Hard Knocks and the hype surrounding the franchise as an AFC contender has only picked up more steam.

Despite all the talent on the roster and the potential for the Jets to make a deep playoff run, coach Robert Saleh refuses to let his players rest on their laurels. In the most recent episode of the show that aired on Tuesday, Saleh was seen ripping into the play of his offensive line during film.

“You can have a Hall of Fame quarterback, you can have two $10 million-plus receivers, you can have the reigning Offensive Rookie of the Year, you can have all kinds of skill in the running back room, but none of it f------ matters until the big boys up front change who the f--- we are,” Saleh said. “We as coaches, we as an organization, can’t want it more than you,” he added.

The pressure is certainly on the Jets to win now with Rodgers in tow, and Saleh is clearly doing everything in his power to up the intensity and urgency as the team inches closer to the start of the regular season.

Its about time this HC starting kicking ass ... BUT today presser he actually stated that if it takes to the season to figure things out then so be it.... WTF!  Players on the OL need time to play together... not do magical chairs which seems to be the method they are employing to eval their players....

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, DonCorleone said:

but none of it f------ matters until the big boys up front change who the f--- we are,” Saleh said. “We as coaches, we as an organization, can’t want it more than you,” he added.

OK.  I think I just got off the fence on Saleh.  Nice.  

• Upvote 1

"It’s August 16th. We’ve got some time. Also, it’s coming up. I don’t get concerned heavily about things I don’t have a huge role in yet. Now, that might change. At some point I might say I need the five who are going to be in there to be in there with me for a solid week. But I don’t think we’re at that point yet because I don’t think there are five guys that have earned those spots … I’m going to have some patience with that."

• Upvote 1

Maybe stop shuffling them around so they can develop some chemistry together?

And please just end the Turner and Mitchell nonsense at OT.  Time to give Becton a shot.  No better way to determine if Becton can handle the load than to give him some stiffer competition in camp and see how he reacts.  This is Week 4 of camp, not Day 4.

Brown
Tomlinson
McGovern/Tippmann
AVT
Becton

This was the best lineup, clear as day to everyone, going into camp.  Absolutely nothing has changed, other than the fact that the current circus OL rotations have failed.

• Upvote 2

Just now, Larz said:

"It’s August 16th. We’ve got some time. Also, it’s coming up. I don’t get concerned heavily about things I don’t have a huge role in yet. Now, that might change. At some point I might say I need the five who are going to be in there to be in there with me for a solid week. But I don’t think we’re at that point yet because I don’t think there are five guys that have earned those spots … I’m going to have some patience with that."

Man Body GIF

9 minutes ago, Darnold's Forehead said:

Then maybe he ought to stop f*cking with it and let guys settle in.

Becton/Brown

Tomlinson

Tippman/McGovern

AVT

Mitchell/Turner

That’s it.  I don’t know what they expect to accomplish constantly moving dudes around.  On paper it’s the same line as last year with better depth.  They’re not going to magically start playing better at different positions.

Thank you. Sick of the musical chairs of the second unit. No sh*t these guys suck. They’re backups with no continuity. Get the first unit right and let them take every rep. Gahhhhh

• Upvote 1

two dline and a CB drafted in the 1st round the last two years.

Oh no the oline sucks, I wonder why!

The Jets have prioritized defense and Wr the secondary and big name QB.

If the oline fails it is no ones fault but the team builders.  A lot of these guys are not going to get better by yelling at them.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

19 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

If the oline fails it is no ones fault but the team builders.  A lot of these guys are not going to get better by yelling at them.

yeah, it sucks that garrett wilson and sauce gardner are on the team.  should have taken some o-linemen instead of them. 

but since you bring it up, tell me which o-line they should have drafted over JJ last year or mcdonald this year?  broderick jones is sucking up steelers camp last i heard.  don't think our line play would be any better today with him.  and last year, after JJ was picked, the next lineman taken was cole strange 3 picks later (a guard who everyone thought was a major reach) and then the next lineman taken went #51 overall, and he played all of 35 snaps last year

• Upvote 1

Fellas I can scream at my wife until I'm blue in the face and it won't turn her into a 26 year old Jessica Alba.

I can scream at my staff all I want and a lousy salesman might step up for a day or two but he will quickly resume his lousiness.   

I can challenge my dog and she will take it to heart but at the end of the day she still won't be able to do my taxes.

Bottom line:  even if they have the will if they don't have the ability to match than strong words of encouragement won't get you very far.  Also that "hope" is not a plan.  Brown has still not been cleared to practice, Bechton has missed two years and even the coach acknowledges he can't be counted on, Turner is not good, Mitchell is not performing very well, Tomlinson had a bust of a last season, and AVT is coming off surgery and has a new injury they don't seem to be defining.   This is just not good and it falls on the FO -  not much more to say about it...  

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 2

15 minutes ago, jetblue95 said:

yeah, it sucks that garrett wilson and sauce gardner are on the team.  should have taken some o-linemen instead of them. 

but since you bring it up, tell me which o-line they should have drafted over JJ last year or mcdonald this year?  broderick jones is sucking up steelers camp last i heard.  don't think our line play would be any better today with him.  and last year, after JJ was picked, the next lineman taken was cole strange 3 picks later (a guard who everyone thought was a major reach) and then the next lineman taken went #51 overall, and he played all of 35 snaps last year

If we’re gonna play MMQB, it’s Becton over Wirfs and Lamb that’s going to be the death knell for this group. Tomlinson has been a whiff too. I’m fine with our 2022 draft class. 

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

Eh, I don't buy that. Becton and AVT where top half first round picks. Tippman was a second round pick. Paid Fant, paid Laken Tomlinson. We've taken fliers on lots of mid-round draft picks.

We've invested resources in the OL they just haven't hit.

Once Becton showed he was dubious at best a high priority needed to be finding a LT.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Once Becton showed he was dubious at best a high priority needed to be finding a LT.

We will.  The season hasn't started yet.  Becton is actually playing well.  It's pretty clear there is a lack of trust between him and Saleh but he's playing well.  If he's lunch went well with Rodgers he might even be our starting LT this year.  

• Haha 1

I think the overall feelings of the OL are that they are worried about not having the continuity there. But not worried about who will be starting.

I think Saleh, the staff and Rodgers are all thinking that Brown will be back in the next 2 weeks and that Becton will be able to play fully in a couple weeks. Obviously getting AVT and Tomlinson back and McGovern at C.

I agree with the press conference Rodgers had yesterday with what he said. That he's not worried about it. But that they do need at least a week together fully before the 1st game to really be trusted communication wise with eachother.

17 hours ago, AZSOJ said:

Its about time this HC starting kicking ass ... BUT today presser he actually stated that if it takes to the season to figure things out then so be it.... WTF!  Players on the OL need time to play together... not do magical chairs which seems to be the method they are employing to eval their players....

What the heck is a magical chair? Do you sit on it and it transports you to a universe where the Jets won the superbowl?

17 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Thats not really true.

1ST round tackle.  1st round guard.  2nd round center.   FA guard.  

Now, the tackle got hurt, (and was the wrong tackle taken), the guard and center look good, the FA guard took a huge step back.

What lineman would have taken ober sauce?

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, jeremy2020 said:

if my job and the future of my career hinged on them then I'd be pretty unhappy too

There have been hints dropped as to how they were not playing well. My children went to two practices and they immediately texted me to tell me how bad the line was playing.

• Sympathy 1