An Adam Gase postmortem thread

10 hours ago, FreddyGotFingered said:

Look at this roster. Who could win anything with this? And Quinnen wasn’t even good yet. 

Offensive Starters          
QB Sam Darnold 23 2 12 217 for 364, 2,208 yards, 9 td, 11 int, & 37 rushes for 217 yards and 2 td  
RB Frank Gore 37 15 14 187 rushes for 653 yards, 2 td, & 16 catches for 89 yards and 0 td  
WR Jamison Crowder 27 5 7 59 catches for 699 yards, 6 td, & 1 rush for 14 yards and 0 td  
WR Denzel Mims 23 Rook 8 23 catches for 357 yards, 0 td  
WR Breshad Perriman 27 4 12 30 catches for 505 yards, 3 td, & 1 rush for 6 yards and 0 td  
TE Chris Herndon 24 2 13 31 catches for 287 yards, 3 td  
LT Mekhi Becton 21 Rook 13    
LG Alex Lewis 28 4 9    
C Connor McGovern 27 3 16 1 fumble recovered  
RG Greg Van Roten 30 8 13    
RT George Fant 28 4 14    
  Defensive Starters          
LDE Henry Anderson 29 5 8 0.5 sacks, 0 interceptions, 0 fumbles recovered  
NT Folorunso Fatukasi 25 2 8 2.0 sacks, 0 interceptions, 1 fumble recovered  
RDE Quinnen Williams 23 1 13 7.0 sacks, 0 interceptions, 0 fumbles recovered  
LOLB Tarell Basham 26 3 9 3.5 sacks, 0 interceptions, 0 fumbles recovered  
LILB Harvey Langi 28 3 6 0.0 sacks, 0 interceptions, 1 fumble recovered  
RILB Neville Hewitt 27 5 16 2.0 sacks, 0 interceptions, 1 fumble recovered  
ROLB Jordan Jenkins 26 4 12 2.0 sacks, 0 interceptions, 0 fumbles recovered  
LCB Bryce Hall 23 Rook 7 0.0 sacks, 1 interception, 0 fumbles recovered  
RCB Blessuan Austin 24 1 10    
SS Ashtyn Davis 24 Rook 6 0.0 sacks, 0 interceptions, 1 fumble recovered  
FS Marcus Maye 27 3

You're right, nobody could win with that roster.  That doesn't make him a good coach though.  My suspicion, and Joe Douglas's as well, was that Gase couldn't have won with a good roster either.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, rex-n-effect said:

Gase is a textbook example of the peter principle. He lucked into being around the right people ad fell into a coaching job and rode it far above he should have, especially with Manning's good word. He got two HC jobs he was wildly unqualified for and it showed. His coaching staff was terrible and similarly a lot of guys underqualified for the jobs he gave them. 

There's reasons why he went from four years as a HC in the NFL to coaching high school. He is terrible as a coach and has very few loyalties. To his credit he took advantage of his luck and made it to the top but he seems to have burned out his opportunities. He's family to Joe Vitt who is now with the Broncos so you'd think if he was halfway decent he'd be somewhere in the NFL or college but no, still stinking up a high school team.

To be fair we have no idea whether or not he’s trying to get back to the NFL. He’s got a wife and a young family + plenty of money. His wife is a coaches daughter so she could not want the same for her kids. A lot of variables. 

21 minutes ago, FreddyGotFingered said:

To be fair we have no idea whether or not he’s trying to get back to the NFL. He’s got a wife and a young family + plenty of money. His wife is a coaches daughter so she could not want the same for her kids. A lot of variables. 

He was still getting paid by the Jets through this January. He’s been hanging out with Sean Payton in Denver this summer

3 hours ago, jgb said:

Chris Johnson, Adam Gase, Mike Maccagnan — the trio of incompetents who will likely never be entrusted to guide another NFL franchise. 

Um.........Chris Johnson is co-owner of the Jets.  He hired Joe Douglas, Robert Saleh and made Hymie team president.

Chris Johnson is a huge reason we are where we are today.  Show some respect.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, jgb said:

Chris Johnson, Adam Gase, Mike Maccagnan — the trio of incompetents who will likely never be entrusted to guide another NFL franchise. 

Guide another NFL franchise?  Hell, Macc can't even get a job as an area scout.  He's doing motivational speeches full-time these days.  Though no one seems to want to hire him for those either.

https://www.athletespeakers.com/speaker/mike-maccagnan

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Um.........Chris Johnson is co-owner of the Jets.  He hired Joe Douglas, Robert Saleh and made Hymie team president.

Chris Johnson is a huge reason we are where we are today.  Show some respect.

Michael Clemons “no.”

23 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Guide another NFL franchise?  Hell, Macc can't even get a job as an area scout.  He's doing motivational speeches full-time these days.  Though no one seems to want to hire him for those either.

https://www.athletespeakers.com/speaker/mike-maccagnan

Dude. We have GOT to book him under false pretenses to come give a speech at the NC Jets Fan club so we can throw coffee at him.

• Haha 2

16 hours ago, Beerfish said:

This is actually a bit troubling becasue he sucked his last years in miami and yet we still hired him on his riding the coattails of manning.

We just hired Hackett who also sucked in his last gig.

Gase was just bad, as was Bowles, REx was good and bad at least.

My only hope with Hacket is he sucked as a HC, but could be a good OC.  Also, the Jets hired him based on Rodgers recommendation, and Rodgers is playing here, as compared to Manning recommending Gase, but not coming along with him.

Bowles also seems like someone better suited to be a DC, not a HC.  He coaches not to lose, rather than to try and win.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, rex-n-effect said:

Gase is a textbook example of the peter principle. He lucked into being around the right people ad fell into a coaching job and rode it far above he should have, especially with Manning's good word. He got two HC jobs he was wildly unqualified for and it showed. His coaching staff was terrible and similarly a lot of guys underqualified for the jobs he gave them. 

I still recall how often he would just stare down at his clipboard when things were going badly on the field, which of course was most of the time. I kind of felt sorry for him for that, like maybe he's mildly autistic and lacks interpersonal skills, like one of my two sons is.

He might well be a good enough X's and O's guy to maybe be a decent OC again, but never a head coach.

Lol, I spent hours breaking down film as to why he may have been a good coach when we hired him.  

I think his problem was that he didn't really connect with the players, seemed a bit aloof.  I don't think he was on drugs or anything, I think he may have been somewhere on the spectrum though.  

To me, the big problem with him was play design past the scripted plays.  We seemed to do good with the scripted plays to start the game, and then go downhill.  He couldn't communicate to the QB how to make those reads when the defense adjusts, because he was more apt at just making the adjustments himself.  It worked in Denver because Manning is a master at those adjustments, but Darnold was the opposite.  

I do think the media didn't like him, and decided to go all against him (much like Idzik), which influenced the fans.  He had no communications skills, so I think he's better as someone that can just call the plays himself from the booth than someone as a HC.