Pretty interesting podcast breaking down the AFC East

T0mShane

The jets played game one yet. Sure it looks like they have made some very nice moves to improve the team but we won’t know until they start playing, and winning.  I think the patsies can surprise. The bellichicken has a way of getting his team ready to play the jets and they’re always tough games. I think the bills have plateaued. They’re going to be the main competition for the afce but the jets know they can beat them. Doltfins? It’ll be interesting to see what mfw does against his old team.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

11 minutes ago, KRL said:

When Rodgers and Hackett teamed up (2019-2021) his averages were:

67%  Completion
4138 Passing Yards
37   TD
4    INT
2    MVP

So exactly where are the "red flags" when they have control of an offense???
If they want to "love" on MIA and doubt the Jets that's fine, but don't lie 

They didn’t really have control. That’s been part of Rodgers’s problem with LaFleur.  Hackett wasn’t even calling plays.  
It’s a legit concern.  

• Upvote 2

21 minutes ago, KRL said:

When Rodgers and Hackett teamed up (2019-2021) his averages were:

67%  Completion
4138 Passing Yards
37   TD
4    INT
2    MVP

So exactly where are the "red flags" when they have control of an offense???
If they want to "love" on MIA and doubt the Jets that's fine, but don't lie 

I'm guessing he's not referring to the two of them being in tandem and having control. I didn't listen, but I'd guess it meant when Hackett and Rodgers have had control individually in the past. LaFluer was in control of the offense during that time.

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, rangerous said:

The jets played game one yet. Sure it looks like they have made some very nice moves to improve the team but we won’t know until they start playing, and winning.  I think the patsies can surprise. The bellichicken has a way of getting his team ready to play the jets and they’re always tough games. I think the bills have plateaued. They’re going to be the main competition for the afce but the jets know they can beat them. Doltfins? It’ll be interesting to see what mfw does against his old team.

agree on everything except....Jets were crushed by injuries last year and some, if not THE worst QB play in the league and stayed competitive.   MVP AR would be awesome but we literally need average to slightly above average QB play and the team should win 10-11 games. 

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, jeremy2020 said:

I'm guessing he's not referring to the two of them being in tandem and having control. I didn't listen, but I'd guess it meant when Hackett and Rodgers have had control individually in the past. LaFluer was in control of the offense during that time.

When did Hackett and Rodgers have control “individually” and what does that even mean? 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

When did Hackett and Rodgers have control “individually” and what does that even mean? 

LaFleur brought in the McVay/Shanahan influence that resurrected Rodgers career in a similar way it did with Matt Stafford’s career. Last season, Rodgers was apparently bristling at those constraints and put up a wild number of deep passes and had an aversion to throwing over the middle. When Hackett has been the actual play caller (Denver, Jacksonville) it has gone poorly. The podcast doesn’t suggest that’s what will happen here, but there exists evidence that we’re probably not going to see the same offense they ran in Green Bay. It’s going to be a Frankenstein’s monster of concepts, which might work and it might not. 

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

LaFleur brought in the McVay/Shanahan influence that resurrected Rodgers career in a similar way it did with Matt Stafford’s career. Last season, Rodgers was apparently bristling at those constraints and put up a wild number of deep passes and had an aversion to throwing over the middle. When Hackett has been the actual play caller (Denver, Jacksonville) it has gone poorly. The podcast doesn’t suggest that’s what will happen here, but there exists evidence that we’re probably not going to see the same offense they ran in Green Bay. It’s going to be a Frankenstein’s monster of concepts, which might work and it might not. 

I hear ya, but I thought he was referring to Rodgers and Hackett as a package being in charge - which hasn’t really happened yet. 

Either way, I think the concerns over Hackett are overblown. When you have a HOF QB, that guy is the defacto OC, anyway. We’ve seen Rodgers be the best QB in the word in McCarthy’s offense and in LaFleur’s offense years later. If Rodgers is motivated to play well (he is) and still has the goods (TBD), we will be fine. Otherwise, we are f*cked, regardless of who the OC is. 

FWIW, Rodgers loves Hackett much like Manning loved Gase. If Hackett’s main value is to give Rodgers the confidence he needs to feel like he can play like an MVP again, he’s totally worth it. 

I also think he did just fine with Bortles in Jax. And, tbh, I don’t think he had much to do with Russell Wilson looking half washed last year. Many of us on this board at the time were pointing out that Wilson was struggling in his final year in Seattle. The media was late to the party on that one. 

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Which would also likely make him the 3rd best QB in the division.  

Likely? Eh, it’s unclear.

Tua had 25 TDs and 8 picks on a 64.8% last year - which would be very close to the hypothetical Rodgers year Shane outlined. You’d have to look at other stats (like yards/attempt) and see how each guy performed in close games to pick a winner. 

either way, if you pair 32 TDs, 10 INTs, 65% completion percentage with an explosive running game (hall + cook big runs) and an elite defense, you will win plenty of games. A major factor will be what kind of defense and running game does Miami pair with Tua’s passing production? 

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, LionelRichie said:

agree on everything except....Jets were crushed by injuries last year and some, if not THE worst QB play in the league and stayed competitive.   MVP AR would be awesome but we literally need average to slightly above average QB play and the team should win 10-11 games. 

Good points. No doubt better qb play would’ve helped.  My main point is they still have to put it all together and with some good luck in the injury department they should be able to take the afce.  10 wins? Yes. I’d go so far as to say they can get to 13 if they get both the run and passing games cooking.

27 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Which would also likely make him the 3rd best QB in the division.  

I wouldn’t care if he was the fifth best qb in the afce if he put up those kinds of numbers.  32 tds are 224 points and they probably need closer to 400 for the season. Throw in 51 pts from fgs, 12 rushing tds, and a few pick 6’s and they’re right there.

21 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

I hear ya, but I thought he was referring to Rodgers and Hackett as a package being in charge - which hasn’t really happened yet. 

Either way, I think the concerns over Hackett are overblown. When you have a HOF QB, that guy is the defacto OC, anyway. We’ve seen Rodgers be the best QB in the word in McCarthy’s offense and in LaFleur’s offense years later. If Rodgers is motivated to play well (he is) and still has the goods (TBD), we will be fine. Otherwise, we are f*cked, regardless of who the OC is. 

FWIW, Rodgers loves Hackett much like Manning loved Gase. If Hackett’s main value is to give Rodgers the confidence he needs to feel like he can play like an MVP again, he’s totally worth it. 

I also think he did just fine with Bortles in Jax. And, tbh, I don’t think he had much to do with Russell Wilson looking half washed last year. Many of us on this board at the time were pointing out that Wilson was struggling in his final year in Seattle. The media was late to the party on that one. 

By all accounts, Russell Wilson looks like sh*t this summer, too. The podcast wasn’t exactly predicting the Hackett/Rodgers thing wouldn’t function, but they were positing where the weaknesses might be that would compromise the Jets’ chances this season. They do this with every team in their breakdowns (Will the Dolphins corners hold up in Fangio’s scheme?; Belichick’s failure to surround Mac Jones with receivers who fit his strengths; Can the Bills do more to take the load off of Allen’s shoulders?). Personally, I think the offense should be ok as long as Garrett Wilson stays healthy, but it’ll go to sh*t if he misses a decent stretch of time. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, slimjasi said:

Too many people are penciling in Tua for a concussion. Injuries are unpredictable. I bet he plays the entire season. 

If Tua plays the entire season, I'll record myself eating a bucket of I Can't Believe It's Not Butter in one sitting and share with everyone. 

• Haha 3

30 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Likely? Eh, it’s unclear.

Tua had 25 TDs and 8 picks on a 64.8% last year - which would be very close to the hypothetical Rodgers year Shane outlined. You’d have to look at other stats (like yards/attempt) and see how each guy performed in close games to pick a winner. 

either way, if you pair 32 TDs, 10 INTs, 65% completion percentage with an explosive running game (hall + cook big runs) and an elite defense, you will win plenty of games. A major factor will be what kind of defense and running game does Miami pair with Tua’s passing production? 

Sure. But the point is having the best Jets QB in Jets history (as it’s repeated over and over again here) means absolutely nothing. 

Jets aren’t competing against their past selves.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, FidelioJet said:

They didn’t really have control. That’s been part of Rodgers’s problem with LaFleur.  Hackett wasn’t even calling plays.  
It’s a legit concern.  

i was going to say the same thing. 

Lafluer was heavily involved being an ex OC himself. Saleh will not have a thing to say on offense.

• Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

lets hope your right.

is anybody else concerned about all the INTs Rodgers is throwing in camp? seems like almost every day he throws one. yesterday threw one to Whitehead. maybe this is normal for Rodgers in TC.?

@Larz @Lith you guys are like our camp reporters. are you seeing the same thing?

From what I’ve seen/heard at camp thus far, it seems like Rodgers is basically running the offense to how he likes and what he think works best. And Hackett is just a sound board. He’ll call the plays but Rodgers is 100 percent in charge. 

IMO, this start of the season will be incredibly rough for the offense. Lots of mistakes and miscommunications. Not to say they won’t put up points but it’s def gonna take time. I think it’ll ride on the run game and how well that gets going. 

• Upvote 1