Pretty interesting podcast breaking down the AFC East

T0mShane

3 minutes ago, Zachtomims47 said:

From what I’ve seen/heard at camp thus far, it seems like Rodgers is basically running the offense to how he likes and what he think works best. And Hackett is just a sound board. He’ll call the plays but Rodgers is 100 percent in charge. 

IMO, this start of the season will be incredibly rough for the offense. Lots of mistakes and miscommunications. Not to say they won’t put up points but it’s def gonna take time. I think it’ll ride on the run game and how well that gets going. 

I agree.  And I think that WRs/TEs that screw up routes are going to find themselves quickly riding the bench.  I have no real issue with Rodgers having that level of control.  Honestly, who knows more about running an NFL offense than him?  It sounds weird (like MLB's rare player-manager) but compared to some of the OCs we've had recently, I'll take it.

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, nycdan said:

I agree.  And I think that WRs/TEs that screw up routes are going to find themselves quickly riding the bench.  I have no real issue with Rodgers having that level of control.  Honestly, who knows more about running an NFL offense than him?  It sounds weird (like MLB's rare player-manager) but compared to some of the OCs we've had recently, I'll take it.

Makes sense why they got cook too, going to use multiple rbs in the passing game which also suggests carter could have a surprising important early role as receiver. Offense does not need to be dominant just efficient.  

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, doitny said:

lets hope your right.

is anybody else concerned about all the INTs Rodgers is throwing in camp? seems like almost every day he throws one. yesterday threw one to Whitehead. maybe this is normal for Rodgers in TC.?

@Larz @Lith you guys are like our camp reporters. are you seeing the same thing?

This is definitely something to watch, but not sure what is normal and what is not in camp. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Strange take. It means he would be the best QB we’ve ever watched. 

Either way, those numbers would be plenty good enough to have a big season, should the defense stay healthy and not appreciably regress. In fact, last year, Josh Allen had 35 TDs and 14 INTs with a 63.3% completion percentage. So, the hypothetical year outlined above would entail a higher TD/INT ratio (3.2 vs 2.5) and higher completion percentage (65 vs 63) than Allen had last year. Plenty good enough.  

Neither of those numbers account for rushing yards. Which for both Allen and Tua are expect to be substantive. 

I don’t think it’s strange to point out that a year in which we might see the best QB performance in Jet history will likely also be the 3rd best in the division.  

Doesn’t mean those teams will be better or worse - just an interesting data point. 

38 minutes ago, Jets Things said:

If Tua plays the entire season, I'll record myself eating a bucket of I Can't Believe It's Not Butter in one sitting and share with everyone. 

I think he will make it through the season, it might be worth it to see you eating a bucket of fake butter. I would prefer TUA out by week 3. No posting of any after effects please. 

1 minute ago, FidelioJet said:

Neither of those numbers account for rushing yards. Which for both Allen and Tua are expect to be substantive. 

I don’t think it’s strange to point out that a year in which we might see the best QB performance in Jet history will likely also be the 3rd best in the division

Again - as I illustrated above,  we really can’t it’s “likely” without more information. 

that hypothetical season could easily be the best or second best in the division depending on the deets. 

And rushing yards? For Allen, absolutely. But Tua? FYI, Tua rushed for 70 yards last year on 23 attempts (lol). Rodgers rushed for 94 yards on 34 attempts (lol). No idea why you think Tua’s rushing yards will be “substantive,” but I wouldn’t expect either QB to be a major factor in the running game. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, FidelioJet said:

I don’t think it’s strange to point out that a year in which we might see the best QB performance in Jet history will likely also be the 3rd best in the division.  

Doesn’t mean those teams will be better or worse - just an interesting data point. 

Tua?  You expect Tua to last the season and put up "substantive" rushing yards?  Have you seen him?  Do you think that Rodgers suddenly became Vinny Testaverde?  Over the last 3 years, Tua has 307 yards rushing and 6 TDs.  Rodgers has 344/7.  Rodgers has 4 more carries and more ypc.  Tua's run game sure gives him the edge!  He's not Jalen Hurts.  Oh, and on top of everything else, he got chubby.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 2

Here's my thought. I am completely OK with Rodgers calling ALL the plays between the 20s. Let's face it: there are several OC's and even head coaches like Kevin O'Connell that are younger than Rodgers.  It's almost  silly to think that O'Connell actually knows more about offense than O'Connell. And quite frankly I think  he knows more than  LaFleur (GB) did as well.

Inside the 20, one of the consensus opinions of Hackett is that he is exceptional and designing and calling red zone plays.

I am not really concerned about Hackett and Rodgers running the offense in tandem. But it is not always true so there is some risk. For example

Part of Hackett's issue last year was that he was not in control of the offense. The owner gave not too Dangeruss (one of the most dislikeable QBs in the NFL) an office  and along with his "entourage" sort of did what he wanted on offense. And it was the worst in the NFL.

My concern with  Rodgers is not play calling or scheme but really just if he will continue to decline and break down physically. If were a betting man, I suspect he is not going to make it through the season. Hope I am wrong.

2 hours ago, KRL said:

When Rodgers and Hackett teamed up (2019-2021) his averages were:

67%  Completion
4138 Passing Yards
37   TD
4    INT
2    MVP

So exactly where are the "red flags" when they have control of an offense???
If they want to "love" on MIA and doubt the Jets that's fine, but don't lie 

Who was calling plays? Wasn't Hackett.

53 minutes ago, nycdan said:

For the money they are paying him it’s pretty reasonable he’s the QB and OC. 

• Haha 2

13 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Tua?  You expect Tua to last the season and put up "substantive" rushing yards?  Have you seen him?  Do you think that Rodgers suddenly became Vinny Testaverde?  Over the last 3 years, Tua has 307 yards rushing and 6 TDs.  Rodgers has 344/7.  Rodgers has 4 more carries and more ypc.  Tua's run game sure gives him the edge!  He's not Jalen Hurts.  Oh, and on top of everything else, he got chubby.

17 games vs. 12 games

It’s okay, Rodgers is going to be good.  But it’s a tough division - with two other very good QB’s.  Acknowledging that isn’t a bad thing.  

1 hour ago, FidelioJet said:

17 games vs. 12 games

It’s okay, Rodgers is going to be good.  But it’s a tough division - with two other very good QB’s.  Acknowledging that isn’t a bad thing.  

Doesn't the yards per carry sort of rule out Tua being some kind of rushing force?  Would 4 more game at seven yard per change anybody's opinion? 

2 hours ago, slimjasi said:

When did Hackett and Rodgers have control “individually” and what does that even mean? 

I'm not sure how to explain the concept of 'being in control' to a grown ass adult. You're gonna have to figure that part out on your own.

Hackett has been an offensive coordinator where he did call the offense and designed the offense.

Rodgers has said in the past that he has had a lot of say in the offense and has made the decisions at the line whether to go with the called play or change it. 

Each one has had a great deal of control over their offenses in the past. 

1 hour ago, doitny said:

lets hope your right.

is anybody else concerned about all the INTs Rodgers is throwing in camp? seems like almost every day he throws one. yesterday threw one to Whitehead. maybe this is normal for Rodgers in TC.?

@Larz @Lith you guys are like our camp reporters. are you seeing the same thing?

I don't think it has been a pick a day.  I remember three: Whitehead yesterday, Sauce got him in red zone at the end of a practice, and Tony Adams on what Rodgers said afterwards was a free play.  

I was travelling during Carolina week, so I could have missed some from that week,  but those are the only three that immediately come to mind.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, jeremy2020 said:

I'm not sure how to explain the concept of 'being in control' to a grown ass adult. You're gonna have to figure that part out on your own.

Hackett has been an offensive coordinator where he did call the offense and designed the offense.

Rodgers has said in the past that he has had a lot of say in the offense and has made the decisions at the line whether to go with the called play or change it. 

Each one has had a great deal of control over their offenses in the past. 

I agree with all this and think there is plenty of reason to be optimistic.  OTOH, if you are expecting more MVP seasons, I think the value LaFleur added should not be discounted.  There was some friction between those guys, but sometimes that is good. 

I am also a little worried about receivers ending up in the doghouse.  That is why it is nice to have Cobb and Lazard.  You know they should be fine and Wilson should be good enough that Rodgers gives some leeway.  Guys to worry about are Davis, Hardman and whoever else makes it.  Hopefully he has a good rapport with the TEs.

The national media hype likes to latch on to one or two teams and make them darlings each year and praise the shi* out of them.  However if the favored team does no win it all they soon get tired of them and dump those teams in favour of some other new awesome teams.

This is what has happened to the Bills, they are being vastly underrated now and one of the new favourites, Miami are being vastly overrated.

The Jets due to the QB are quite polarizing part darling and part villain.

48 minutes ago, Lith said:

I don't think it has been a pick a day.  I remember three: Whitehead yesterday, Sauce got him in red zone at the end of a practice, and Tony Adams on what Rodgers said afterwards was a free play.  

I was travelling during Carolina week, so I could have missed some from that week,  but those are the only three that immediately come to mind.

thanks

The AFC East is the toughest division in the league. 

the Bills are dominant, no one wants to consider how good they are because "positive vibes only" 

the Fins and the Jets are in the same boat: Loaded on D, good to great skill positions and an OL that can ruin everything 

the Pats are underrated, everyone's expecting them to roll over, but really, they are a tough draw every week 

I see the Bills running away with the division title and any of the other three in the mix for 2nd place and a wildcard 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, doitny said:

lets hope your right.

I look at it this way.  Last year, Rodgers had a 2% INT rate which was 16th in the league.  The previous four years, he led the league in that stat every season.  So if last year was an aberration, he will be more than fine.  If it was the beginning of his decline, then maybe not.  Historically, he has been the #1 QB for a career all-time with an INT % of 1.4. 

So I guess I'm leaning towards optimism as long as he gets a decent amount of pass protection.  That's the big if.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, kevinc855 said:

remember how hyped the afc west was last year? 

Someone or two will implode. I see a Dolphins implosion and a bad season from Pats.

It's us vs Bills (who i dont think roster is as good as it was last year)

Need to beat the Bills week 1.

Early schedule is no cakewalk.

@DAL week 2 for their home opener.  DAL has a great D, who knows.

NE week 3.  Until proven otherwise, the Jets always lose to them.

Then week 4 vs Mahomes in prime time, followed by @Broncos and vs Eagles, whom the Jets have never beaten in their entire franchise history.

41 minutes ago, nycdan said:

I look at it this way.  Last year, Rodgers had a 2% INT rate which was 16th in the league.  The previous four years, he led the league in that stat every season.  So if last year was an aberration, he will be more than fine.  If it was the beginning of his decline, then maybe not.  Historically, he has been the #1 QB for a career all-time with an INT % of 1.4. 

So I guess I'm leaning towards optimism as long as he gets a decent amount of pass protection.  That's the big if.

i hope its just getting the kinks out.