Why are the Jets switching to the 3-4...Vilma and Drob

NIGHT STALKER

Will make it a tough go.....this from PFW

We hear that while head coach Eric Mangini’s goal is to steer the Jets’ defense toward a 3-4 scheme, it will likely have to be a gradual adjustment due to the fact that the Jets simply don’t have the proper personnel to fit a true 3-4 alignment at this time. Two interesting cases are 2003 first-round pick DT Dewayne Robertson and ’04 first-round pick LB Jonathan Vilma, the cornerstones of the team’s defense. While 3-4 nose tackles are required to control two gaps and hold up blockers at the line of scrimmage, Robertson is more of a one-gap, upfield guy who likes to pressure the quarterback. When asked to man two gaps as a rookie, he really struggled. Vilma’s speed and intelligence make him special, but he lacks the size of a prototypical 3-4 inside ’backer who is expected to fill gaps and take on 300-pound guards. Look for Mangini to design a defense that maximizes Robertson’s and Vilma’s skills and doesn’t ask them to regularly fill traditional 3-4 roles, which means the Jets could employ more 4-3 looks. Expect Mangini to continue collecting more big bodies for the front seven through the draft and free agency.

D Rob I agree on. He had a tough time holding his own one on one with Lineman last year. Vilma is a different story. There are plenty of smaller type Linebackers that had been successful in the 3-4. Donnie Edwards, Dat Ngyen (sp?), and Zach Thomas come to mind.

this is speculation upon speculation. Until we all see at training camp we don't know jack squat about what defense the Jets are running, what offense the Jets are running, who the QB will be or any other important issues. It's a complete information blackout and the media has officially run itself full-circle on the issue trying to figure it out.

Personally I've said this from the beginning until I hear it from the coach or see it with my own eyes I don't buy that the Jets NEED to run a 3-4 base defense due to Mangini. if Mangini's a real Belly clone he will have them running 6 man fronts and 2 man fronts and everything in between. Watch Patriots football, Belly's defenses are essentially 3-4 based but the fronts change _alot_. They (the Pats) ran a 4-3 for most of last year all this 3-4 conversion is a non-issue for the Jets.

hearing it from Matt Chatham's agent is not the same as hearing it from Mangini.

The defense, with or without Mangini isn't the issue - the issue is offense and scoring points. What about it.

For all you people who want to switch to a 3-4 as an excuse to get AJ Hawk: We do not have a Nose Tackle. Good Nose Tackles don't grow on trees. Robertson is not a Nose Tackle.

1) I don't know anyone who wants to switch to a 3-4 because of AJ Hawk.

2) NT are a lot easier to find than a good 3 technique DT. NT are infact common in the NFL.

But you are right D Rob is not a NT.

Archived