I will go out on a limb and say that Corey Davis gets traded before the cut date of August 29th.

Alka

You just don't hear his name mentioned lately, and while the leadership of the Jets are saying the right things up until now, I think not only should he be traded, but I think he will be traded.

He is on his last year of his contract, and I absolutely don't see him getting an extension.  He is injury prone, and both Brownlee and Gipson are guys that I believe should be making this team.

Someone will have to go!  If you cut either Brownlee or Gipson, one of these guys will be on another NFL roster, and we will be stuck with a guy in Davis that somewhere along the season, is almost a lock to get injured for whatever amount of time.

Davis is a talented receiver, but when you weigh the fact that he can't stay healthy, along with these other guys who deserve a shot on the roster, a trade is what I would do, if I were Joe Douglas.

Okay now.  Go ahead and rip me up!!! lol

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Post of the Week 1

1 minute ago, Bronx said:

We need  veterans WRs that are good blockers. He is a very solid route runner and a locker room leader. 

It's a no-go for me.

Although I agree with you, I don't believe we need another locker room leader.  We have plenty of them on the team right now.  Yes, he is a very good blocker, and he does run solid routes.  A good reason why he might fetch a decent return.  

It's not only about Davis, it's also about who gets cut.  Brownlee and Gipson are guys who I think have proven themselves and deserve to be on the roster.  Davis has a history, and that history is both good and not so good, in terms of his history of not staying healthy.

1 minute ago, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

You don't get rid of good players in a year that you are trying to win it all. It's not like we have an abundance of WRs. We have a true WR1 in Wilson and three 2.5s in Lazard, Davis, and Hardman. 

Let me ask you.  How often have you heard his name mentioned in practice?  I haven't heard anything.  I tune in every day; perhaps I'm not paying enough attention?  

I hear all about how Wilson is amazing, and great things about Lazard, but silence regarding Davis.  Is it just me?

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

You don't get rid of good players in a year that you are trying to win it all. It's not like we have an abundance of WRs. We have a true WR1 in Wilson and three 2.5s in Lazard, Davis, and Hardman. 

You know, Wilson is #1.  Lazard is #2.  Hardman might be #3, and Randall Cobb might be receiver #4.  Davis could be receiver #5.  Paying Davis over $10M per year for possibly being receiver #5 is a lot of money.  Davis has missed 12 games over the last 2 years due to injury.  That is alot of money if he gets injured again, to be on the roster and receiver #5.  

These are all what-if's, but I think something to consider.

via Cimini 

7. Tough cuts: Paring the roster from 90 to 53 will be a difficult chore, especially at running back, wide receiver and defensive line. One intriguing player is Corey Davis, who has missed several practices with an illness and personal leave. When he does practice, he doesn't stand out as one of the top receivers. The coaches value his experience and unselfish approach, but the NFL is a business and his $10.5 million salary (non-guaranteed) is a lot for a backup.

• Upvote 3

Just now, Alka said:

Let me ask you.  How often have you heard his name mentioned in practice?  I haven't heard anything.  I tune in every day; perhaps I'm not paying enough attention?  

I hear all about how Wilson is amazing, and great things about Lazard, but silence regarding Davis.  Is it just me?

You don't always hear about veterans in practice. I haven't heard a single word about Moseley either, but that doesn't mean he isn't practicing well.  

• Upvote 3

8 minutes ago, Alka said:

You know, Wilson is #1.  Lazard is #2.  Hardman might be #3, and Randall Cobb might be receiver #4.  Davis could be receiver #5.  Paying Davis over $10M per year for possibly being receiver #5 is a lot of money.  Davis has missed 12 games over the last 2 years due to injury.  That is alot of money if he gets injured again, to be on the roster and receiver #5.  

Davis is listed as a starter on the depth chart. 

Hardman missed 9 regular season games plus the playoffs. Should we consider his injury history too?

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, C Mart said:

via Cimini 

7. Tough cuts: Paring the roster from 90 to 53 will be a difficult chore, especially at running back, wide receiver and defensive line. One intriguing player is Corey Davis, who has missed several practices with an illness and personal leave. When he does practice, he doesn't stand out as one of the top receivers. The coaches value his experience and unselfish approach, but the NFL is a business and his $10.5 million salary (non-guaranteed) is a lot for a backup.

Where are people getting the idea that Davis is a back-up?

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

Hardman missed 9 regular season games plus the playoffs. Should we consider his injury history too?

Yeah. Both of them.  Considering they both are injury prone. Have dropsies and Davis is a walking untimely penalty or bad play.  

save the 10.5 mil and get another lineman and or WR via trade

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

Everything should be considered.  Hardman stand to make up to $6.5M this season, which is about $4M less than Davis.  Hardman is a speedster (4.33 speed- very, very fast), and brings another element to the wide recevier room.  He also is 3 years younger than Davis.

2 minutes ago, jgb said:

Don't see that happening unless it's connected with bringing in an upgrade

Which is what should have already happened. Outside of Wilson we are, well not great. Lazard is just an ok wr. Rest of squad is hope and potential. 

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

You don't always hear about veterans in practice. I haven't heard a single word about Moseley either, but that doesn't mean he isn't practicing well.  

Camp tweets are about clicks. Easily the worst way to judge anything.  

31 minutes ago, Alka said:

He is the starting X

name his replacement as the X

3 minutes ago, Lith said:

My two cents.  Davis is making the roster.  He is our 2/3 WR.  Gipson is making the roster as 6th WR/punt returner.  Brownlee will be on the practice squad.

You may very well be right!  But I never said Davis won't make the roster, I said he will be traded.  I should have continued my point that he will make the roster if he doesn't get traded.  

I don't see how he can be wide receiver #2 though.  Lazard got that spot locked up.  Hardman and Cobb will be seeing a lot of the field as well.  Davis to me competes with wide receiver #3/4/5.  Not #2.

3 minutes ago, Alka said:

You may very well be right!  But I never said Davis won't make the roster, I said he will be traded.  I should have continued my point that he will make the roster if he doesn't get traded.  

I don't see how he can be wide receiver #2 though.  Lazard got that spot locked up.  Hardman and Cobb will be seeing a lot of the field as well.  Davis to me competes with wide receiver #3/4/5.  Not #2.

Lazard has flexibility but he’s essentially the big slot. Wilson is the Z and Davis is the X.  

Who replaces Davis at the X ? 

Hint: it ain’t Hardman or Cobb 

• Upvote 1