What do you all think about the new one day cutdown rules?

Beerfish

If I recall we have always had two different cut downs during camp correct?   As in by one date you have to cut your roster and then the final cut down date.

Now we just have the one cut-down August 29?

Should be a very interesting couple of days between the last ex game which is August 27th and the 29th.

I would guess a fair bit of player movement form team to team.

What say you all?  Will Douglas make a few trades?  

51 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

If I recall we have always had two different cut downs during camp correct?   As in by one date you have to cut your roster and then the final cut down date.

Now we just have the one cut-down August 29?

Should be a very interesting couple of days between the last ex game which is August 27th and the 29th.

I would guess a fair bit of player movement form team to team.

What say you all?  Will Douglas make a few trades?  

It was done this way for a few years before Covid.  May as well have 90 man rosters for all preseason games so you are not forced to play guys you don't want in that last game.  It also gives these bottom of the roster guys some extra time to make an impression and to put a little more film out there for other teams to see.

Not something I thought much about until you asked, but I guess it is better for all involved.  Players and teams.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

The main thing that I think hurts is that the artificial early deadline used to make for some trades of guys that might help week 1.  Now there is nothing making teams want to move guys early.  Better to hang on to any reasonable player since an injury might occur, but if you have to make cuts the extra roster space and a late rounder might be worth more than insurance. 

As a fan it makes it more difficult to tell who is really at the bottom of the roster.  Team depth charts are full of sh*t and looking at playing time in practice is often farcical or designed to give guys run with other specific guys.  Used to be if guys were cut before August 31, you knew those guys sucked and probably weren't going to amount to anything.  Still, that's my problem, not the players or the teams.

• Upvote 1

At the end of the day I doubt it ends up making much difference. Maybe a guy here or there is a late bloomer and starts turning it on too late for the old cut date but somehow makes the final cut with the new rule. I don't know. I like that the coaches have more comp fodder for preseason games so they don't have to play guys they're going to need for as many snaps.

I think the 1st cut down date was scrapped when the nfl went to a 17 game Regular Season and cut a week off the Preseason. Not a big deal. For the players the pain comes in 1 shot. Probably better for them. I would imagine the CS has all the information they need to make those cuts after last night's games were complete. The Coaching Staff puts in Overtime this week. Next Saturday's Preseason game against the Giants is Tune-up. As Weeb Ewbank use to say "this one is the game for the Bragging Rights of NY."

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, Warfish said:

This.

I don't see any real difference between two cuts and one cuts.  They all get cut in the end.

i think majority of the difference is to the FO. They have to keep track of all the bubble players across teams and then scramble to try and pick them up as they get cut all at the same time.

1 hour ago, k-met57 said:

i think majority of the difference is to the FO. They have to keep track of all the bubble players across teams and then scramble to try and pick them up as they get cut all at the same time.

Yes, but they should have been doing that anyway.  They should have a computer board with guys rated from every team at every position, so they know who/what they will want to pick up and which guys they have rated higher than what they already have.  We still should be fairly high in the waiver order.  

The rule change was designed to help teams avoid playing starters in the last preseason game and let more of the players on the bottom fight for those PS spots when they could have lost two weeks of time and games to make the case for a team keeping them. For fans it means the preseason games are less interesting to watch with less time seeing players we might see during the season. 

Outside of avoiding injuries, the minor difference for teams will be fighting over the relatively small number of players who were on the bubble that might sneak onto a roster with another team. Players on PS can always be signed away so doesn't matter that much if another team gets to them first.

I don’t understand why they made the change.  But it’ll be quite the mad dash to try and bring in some of these cut players.  And just what does it mean for the non cut players? Some of them know they were on the bubble but made it through the cut. Now they still have to worry about some other coming in.  It’ll be interesting who finally stays and goes.