If Jets had to cut 14 players tomorrow which they don’t, who would get cut?

This is my guess

1. WR - TJ Luther
  2. WR - Jerome Kapp
  3. WR - Alex Erickson
  4. TE - EJ Jenkins
  5. OL - Brent Laing
  6. OL - Grant Hermanns
  7. DL - Bruce Hector
  8. DL - Deslin Alexandre
  9. DL- Pita Taumoepenu
  10. LB - Caleb Johnson
  11. LB - Sam Eguavoen
  12. CB - Derrick Langford
  13. CB - Nehemiah Shelton
  14. S - Dane Cruikshank

** RB Travis Dye makes it because we need his carries late in the game vs the Giants 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Sarge4Tide said:

This is my guess

1. WR - TJ Luther
  2. WR - Jerome Kapp
  3. WR - Alex Erickson
  4. TE - EJ Jenkins
  5. OL - Brent Laing
  6. OL - Grant Hermanns
  7. DL - Bruce Hector
  8. DL - Deslin Alexandre
  9. DL- Pita Taumoepenu
  10. LB - Caleb Johnson
  11. LB - Sam Eguavoen
  14. S - Dane Cruikshank

** RB Travis Dye makes it because we need his carries late in the game vs the Giants 

I disagree on a number of these. I think there's a very good chance that Caleb Johnson goes onto the PS.  He has played well in preseason action.  Depending upon what the Jets think of Jenkins, Laing, and Hermanns and I think they may want them on the PS as well.  They just brought Hermanns back for extra OT depth.  I think they probably may want to add Pita Taumoepenu to the PS as well.  He got a sack in his first preseason game after only being on the team for a few days, and was the XFL Defensive player of the Year.  I think they probably like Erickson, but just don't see a spot for him on the roster and to give him a chance to catch on somewhere else, so they probably would cut him.

Looking at their roster, I'm not sure there are 5 players to replace those I just mentioned to equal 14 players that they would want to cut tomorrow.  Craig James would probably be one.  He's been beaten like a drum in preseason games and has given up a couple of TDs, I think.   Nick Vigil might be another. Although I think they probably want to hold onto OL as long as they can, if they had to cut 14 tomorrow, perhaps Adam Pankey and Chris Glaser would be among those cut.  One or both could be headed to the PS however.

I'm just glad that they have several more weeks to evaluate players.

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 1

10 hours ago, Sarge4Tide said:

This is my guess

1. WR - TJ Luther
  2. WR - Jerome Kapp
  3. WR - Alex Erickson
  4. TE - EJ Jenkins
  5. OL - Brent Laing
  6. OL - Grant Hermanns
  7. DL - Bruce Hector
  8. DL - Deslin Alexandre
  9. DL- Pita Taumoepenu
  10. LB - Caleb Johnson
  11. LB - Sam Eguavoen
  14. S - Dane Cruikshank

Who Is That GIF by Stick Up Music

• WTF? 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Sarge4Tide said:

This is my guess

1. WR - TJ Luther
  2. WR - Jerome Kapp
  3. WR - Alex Erickson
  4. TE - EJ Jenkins
  5. OL - Brent Laing
  6. OL - Grant Hermanns
  7. DL - Bruce Hector
  8. DL - Deslin Alexandre
  9. DL- Pita Taumoepenu
  10. LB - Caleb Johnson
  11. LB - Sam Eguavoen
  14. S - Dane Cruikshank

I can easily agree because I’m not sure I’ve heard a single one of those names. 

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 1
  • Haha 1

Just to make it harder, there is the day after cutdown when teams might like a player that is now available more than one of the guys they kept.  So we might cut an additional one or two players even after they survived cut-down day to replace them with someone else.  Certainly many teams will.

So when you calculate the 53 we keep and the PS, you still need to figure out who goes to make room for someone else.  It is a brutal part of the business.

• Upvote 3
  • WTF? 1

1 hour ago, nycdan said:

Just to make it harder, there is the day after cutdown when teams might like a player that is now available more than one of the guys they kept.  So we might cut an additional one or two players even after they survived cut-down day to replace them with someone else.  Certainly many teams will.

So when you calculate the 53 we keep and the PS, you still need to figure out who goes to make room for someone else.  It is a brutal part of the business.

Danny Woodhead 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Sarge4Tide said:

This is my guess

1. WR - TJ Luther
  2. WR - Jerome Kapp
  3. WR - Alex Erickson
  4. TE - EJ Jenkins
  5. OL - Brent Laing
  6. OL - Grant Hermanns
  7. DL - Bruce Hector
  8. DL - Deslin Alexandre
  9. DL- Pita Taumoepenu
  10. LB - Caleb Johnson
  11. LB - Sam Eguavoen
  14. S - Dane Cruikshank

Nope.

1 CB Craig James

2 CB Derrick Langford

3 DL Jalyn Holmes

4 DL Isaiah Mack

5 LB Claudin Cherelus

6 LB Caleb Johnson

7 OL Brett Laing

8 OL Greg Senat

9 S Marquis Waters

10 TE EJ Jenkins

11 WR Irvin Charles

12 WR Jerome Kapp

13 WR TJ Luther

14 WR Alex Ericson

• Upvote 2
  • WTF? 1

14 hours ago, Sarge4Tide said:

This is my guess

1. WR - TJ Luther
  2. WR - Jerome Kapp
  3. WR - Alex Erickson
  4. TE - EJ Jenkins
  5. OL - Brent Laing
  6. OL - Grant Hermanns
  7. DL - Bruce Hector
  8. DL - Deslin Alexandre
  9. DL- Pita Taumoepenu
  10. LB - Caleb Johnson
  11. LB - Sam Eguavoen
  14. S - Dane Cruikshank

I don't think you are off by much, but I would like to see Erickson, Pita Taumoepenu and Eguavoen play in another game.  The rest can leave today, as far as I'm concerned.

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 1

2 hours ago, Jethead said:

This is the easy list. Next one gets a lot harder. Some very interesting choices ahead. 

Davis or Dean.

Bawden, Yeboah or Kuntz

WR6

RB4 (or 5)?

I would cut both Yeboah and Kuntz.  I would keep Bawden, who seems to me to be a hell of a blocker, who we could use to help Rodgers on passing downs. He also is a key special teams player.  I would cut Davis, and keep Dean.  Davis is a violent and sure tackler, to be sure, but he seems to get injured more often, and I think it's because of the violent way he plays the game.  I love his attitude, but I worry about his ability to stay on the field.  

Running back:  Our 2 top guys, and keep Carter and Izzy.  That makes 4.  

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 1

1 hour ago, Doggin94it said:

Nope.

1 CB Craig James

2 CB Derrick Langford

3 DL Jalyn Holmes

4 DL Isaiah Mack

5 LB Claudin Cherelus

6 LB Caleb Johnson

7 OL Brett Laing

8 OL Greg Senat

9 S Marquis Waters

10 TE EJ Jenkins

11 WR Irvin Charles

12 WR Jerome Kapp

13 WR TJ Luther

14 WR Alex Ericson

Mack was cut already. Signed with Washington 

• Upvote 1

59 minutes ago, Alka said:

I would cut both Yeboah and Kuntz.  I would keep Bawden, who seems to me to be a hell of a blocker, who we could use to help Rodgers on passing downs. He also is a key special teams player.  I would cut Davis, and keep Dean.  Davis is a violent and sure tackler, to be sure, but he seems to get injured more often, and I think it's because of the violent way he plays the game.  I love his attitude, but I worry about his ability to stay on the field.  

Running back:  Our 2 top guys, and keep Carter and Izzy.  That makes 4.  

i agree with Kuntz. those 2 holding penalties killed him. but i havent seen enough from Ruckert or Yeboah. i want to see more before i decide.

• WTF? 1

8 hours ago, Larz said:

Cut down day is going to be wild lol

I bet a lot of veterans caught in a numbers game get cut early so they don’t get lost in the shuffle so to speak and they will get the other 31 teams attention for a minute 

I think that could definitely happen, but it depends upon the team.  Some teams treat their players better than others.  For example, the Jets don't want to show cuts on Hard Knocks and they do cut players early, like Mims, to give them a chance to catch on with another team.  I think those teams will cut veterans early to give them a chance to catch on elsewhere.  I don't think every team treats their players like the Jets, however.  Where it still might happen with those teams is if they have an older vet who if they cut him, would bring some big cap savings.  They might go ahead and cut a player or players like that to make room to sign others.

• WTF? 1

6 hours ago, Doggin94it said:

Nope.

1 CB Craig James

2 CB Derrick Langford

3 DL Jalyn Holmes

4 DL Isaiah Mack

5 LB Claudin Cherelus

6 LB Caleb Johnson

7 OL Brett Laing

8 OL Greg Senat

9 S Marquis Waters

10 TE EJ Jenkins

11 WR Irvin Charles

12 WR Jerome Kapp

13 WR TJ Luther

14 WR Alex Ericson

I disagree with Jalyn Holmes, Claudin Cherelus, Caleb Johnson and Marquis Waters.  All of those players have done well in preseason action.  Holmes had two sacks and several pressures vs Tampa Bay. I think the Jets will look to put each of those players on their PS, so they're certainly not going to give them an early chance to catch on somewhere else.

Isaiah Mack was cut a couple of weeks ago according to a tweet I saw. I don't know why the Jets still have him listed on their roster.

• More Ugh 1