Rodgers sees 18-20 years of great Jets QB play with Wilson as heir

pointman

9 hours ago, Green Ghost said:

So back in April I was convinced the Mets were going to easily win the NL East behind Scherzer and Verlander….

Season 3 Nbc GIF by The Office

Why, what part of the late season failure the year before had you convinced that adding Verlander was going to help improve Scherzer? While losing the best closer, and having their 4 out of the 5 starting pitchers start on the IL before the season started had you convinced that they would improve on the late season collapse?

Mets were a failure the moment they didn't address the injury to Diaz, and just went downhill from there. If you ask me (A diehard Mets and Jets fan), I had no expectation that they could even compete with ATL or PHI with the offseason acquisitions.  I think their was a lot of false hope that Scherzer collapse was a blip and they could get 1 good year out of Verlander.

• Upvote 2

31 minutes ago, slats said:

I’m sure he’s having a great time being treated like royalty by his teammates, the organization as a whole, and the entire New York metro area. The key to him sticking, I suspect, will have a lot to do with how he feels after he’s played a season here. Jet fans are passionate, and that passion runs both hot and cold. I hope he’s still having this much fun in January. 

No doubt.  It's a different sport but I remember how excited Patrick Kane was to join the Rangers this past trade deadline.  The fans turned on him quickly though.  Not sure if that has affected his desire to come back but it certainly can't help the situation.

Sometimes it takes a different voice to get through to people. I think people te and to forget how young these guys really are. It takes time for the brain to catch up to the body.  Zach did not play a great game against the bucs but it’s hard to tell if it was because of the plays called or maybe the bucs were playing better players.

• Upvote 3

No doubt AR is lovin his move to the Jets. Wants to play multiple years while at the same time expressing optimism for ZW’s future.   While many Jets fans feel ZW is a hopeless case, my hunch is he’ll end up being a competent QB in the league - benefitting from Rodgers tutelage.  Not sure it will be with the Jets, however.

Curious to see how he’ll look this Saturday vs the Giants.  Prediction - 👍🏼 

• Upvote 1

It would be a beautiful thing, but if he plays 3 years I just don't see how Zach has any future here.  Hell even if it's just 2 years, isn't Zach a free agent by that point?  Unless he's willing to sign a short term "show me" type deal, it doesn't look like it'll happen here.  I'm sure some team will call up offering something the Jets aren't willing to.  A team near the bottom of the standings, maybe who just drafted their QB of the future and see Zach as a roll of the dice with no risk.

I dunno.  I like Zach.  I think he could very easily turn it around, and this is the right way to go about it, but I just don't see any future here for him outside of Rodgers playing one season.  I think best case you just hope he looks great this year in what limited time he gets, and the reports of "this is a new Zach Wilson" and "Rodgers fixed him" potentially get some other team interested to the point where they throw you a 2nd rounder at next year's draft.  

The way things are shaping up now, I'll be pretty surprised if we don't draft Rodgers' heir apparent in 2024, even without the 1st rounder.  

• Upvote 2

58 minutes ago, Skeptable said:

Why, what part of the late season failure the year before had you convinced that adding Verlander was going to help improve Scherzer? While losing the best closer, and having their 4 out of the 5 starting pitchers start on the IL before the season started had you convinced that they would improve on the late season collapse?

Mets were a failure the moment they didn't address the injury to Diaz, and just went downhill from there. If you ask me (A diehard Mets and Jets fan), I had no expectation that they could even compete with ATL or PHI with the offseason acquisitions.  I think their was a lot of false hope that Scherzer collapse was a blip and they could get 1 good year out of Verlander.

I'm a Mets fan but this past year's team just never generated much hype with me.  Sure the roster on paper looked really good, and I did think there was a chance they could be great, but at the end of the day they felt like a collection of big names.  Throwing as much money at past stars as they could in hopes that it would translate into a World Series.

This Jets team has felt much different, and much more exciting.  This is a team that was built from the ground up, mostly through the draft.  Rodgers and Co. feel like finishing touches more than anything else.  It also feels like a close knit team as well.  Just a completely different vibe than the Mets.  To be honest, I think there would be a ton of hype for this team even without Rodgers.  There is just so much talent here and the window could be open for a long time.  It's definitely the most excited I've ever been for a Jets team, not only for the present but the future as well.

• Upvote 3

11 hours ago, pointman said:

Or, maybe, possibly, potentially, perhaps, Rodgers likes to build his student. Or, maybe, perhaps, possibly, potentially, perhaps, Rodgers knows more about football than... you? I heart you. Don't take it personal. 

Highly unlikely.   You don’t get to host jeopardy if people think you’re not nice.

• More Ugh 1

So it does legitimately feel a little like fan-fiction...hard to deny that.

However...

If you look back not even two weeks ago at some of the takes on Becton flying around here, and compare them to the mood in the room yesterday, it was a seismic shift.  People that were doubtful on Becton are now hopeful.  People that had slammed the door on him are now considering the possibility that he might start and not fall on his face.  I'm sure there are still a few determined holdouts but they are quiet for the moment.

Now we look at Zach.  He's grinding away, saying all the right things and not saying or doing any of the wrong ones.  There are two full seasons before any real decision needs to be made by either him or the team.  That's a long time in football.  

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, bonkertons said:

I'm a Mets fan but this past year's team just never generated much hype with me.  Sure the roster on paper looked really good, and I did think there was a chance they could be great, but at the end of the day they felt like a collection of big names.  Throwing as much money at past stars as they could in hopes that it would translate into a World Series.

This Jets team has felt much different, and much more exciting.  This is a team that was built from the ground up, mostly through the draft.  Rodgers and Co. feel like finishing touches more than anything else.  It also feels like a close knit team as well.  Just a completely different vibe than the Mets.  To be honest, I think there would be a ton of hype for this team even without Rodgers.  There is just so much talent here and the window could be open for a long time.  It's definitely the most excited I've ever been for a Jets team, not only for the present but the future as well.

Exactly, I had the same feeling. I hated the Mets team before they even started the season.  I could see a way they could have put it together but had no real faith that they would compete. 

There is no comparison to the Jets team where JD has built this team from the ground up no matter how many times I get told differently on this site. This feels like right before the Rex era, and honestly, even more hyped since you don't have hope behind a rookie QB but a veteran that is one of the best of all time. Maybe the Jets fall flat on their face but I think that there would have to be a lot of things go wrong in order for that to happen. Where the Mets felt like you had to have a lot go right in order for them to compete. 

• Upvote 1