Jump to content

Rank The HC's In The AFC East (Other Than Belichick)


Rank The HC's In The AFC East (Other Than Belichick)  

55 members have voted

  1. 1. Rank The 3 Non-BB HC's In The AFC East (1= Best)

    • 1) Sean McDermott 2) Mike McDaniel 3) Robert Saleh
    • 1) Sean McDermott 2) Robert Saleh 3) Mike McDaniel
    • 1) Mike McDaniel 2) Sean McDermott 3) Robert Saleh
    • 1) Mike McDaniel 2) Robert Saleh 3) Sean McDermott
    • 1) Robert Saleh 2) Mike McDaniel 3) Sean McDermott
      0
    • 1) Robert Saleh 2) Sean McDermott 3) Mike McDaniel

This poll is closed to new votes

  • Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 09/10/2023 at 04:00 PM

Recommended Posts

Sadly, Saleh is clearly last right now. 
 

hoping he take a big step forward this season. 
 

I’d probably have McDermott first because he has built a winning culture up there from the ground up and it’s hard to go too gaga over McDaniel after only one season. He technically won the same number of games as Brian Flores did the year before (injuries were a major reason, of course)

  • Upvote 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, slimjasi said:

Sadly, Saleh is clearly last right now. 
 

hoping he take a big step forward this season. 
 

I’d probably have McDermott first because he has built a winning culture up there from the ground up and it’s hard to go too gaga over McDaniel after only one season. He technically won the same number of games as Brian Flores did the year before (injuries were a major reason, of course)

I thought Flores did a very nice job and showed a lot of promise.  McDaniel walked into a very strange situation (that I thought was going to be toxic) but just like Flores, also did a very nice job, and also shows a lot of promise.

Meanwhile the Jets are into the 3rd year of Saleh's tenure and it's still unclear to me if he's any good.  The team fell apart last year.

  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

McDermott by a lot. Built the whole steamroller, hires the right guys, got Josh Allen developed. Can be win without Daboll?

McDaniel and Saleh are both good at their respective parts of the game, but it remains to be seen if they have any staying power. McDaniel is a legit quirky dude, and I’m not sure how that plays if/when it gets to nut-cutting time down there. Ultimately, I think Ross fires him if they miss the playoffs this season. 
 

Saleh has built a good to great defense, but the offense has been a car wreck. At least McDaniel has put together some wins, which gives him the edge. 

Mike McDaniel developed Tua (and I'm pretty sure I read that Brian Flores wasn't a big fan).  And like you said, can McDermott win without Daboll?  Daboll had a very good 1st year for the Giants.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

McDermott by a lot. Built the whole steamroller, hires the right guys, got Josh Allen developed. Can be win without Daboll?

McDaniel and Saleh are both good at their respective parts of the game, but it remains to be seen if they have any staying power. McDaniel is a legit quirky dude, and I’m not sure how that plays if/when it gets to nut-cutting time down there. Ultimately, I think Ross fires him if they miss the playoffs this season. 
 

Saleh has built a good to great defense, but the offense has been a car wreck. At least McDaniel has put together some wins, which gives him the edge. 

Mostly agree.  This thread is just another "woe is me" Jets fan bashing the team.  But your comment is pretty much spot on.

Jets hired JD and that started the upswing.  But the hole the Jets were in was deep.  And his first run at the draft was less than stellar.  So this isn't a like for like comparison among these 3 coaches.  News flash.  Coaches need players.

The real time for this evaluation is at the end of this season.  No more excuses.  But I think the Jets have playoff potential and more.

Finally, Belichick as the GOAT is ludicrous.  Brady is the GOAT.  BB was a passenger on the gravy train.  

  • Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, addage said:

The real time for this evaluation is at the end of this season.  No more excuses.  But I think the Jets have playoff potential and more.

Duh.  But the "no more excuses" thing is a sign that Saleh hasn't proven himself in any way so far.  

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, addage said:

Mostly agree.  This thread is just another "woe is me" Jets fan bashing the team.  But your comment is pretty much spot on.

Jets hired JD and that started the upswing.  But the hole the Jets were in was deep.  And his first run at the draft was less than stellar.  So this isn't a like for like comparison among these 3 coaches.  News flash.  Coaches need players.

The real time for this evaluation is at the end of this season.  No more excuses.  But I think the Jets have playoff potential and more.

Finally, Belichick as the GOAT is ludicrous.  Brady is the GOAT.  BB was a passenger on the gravy train.  

I objectively think the Dolphins stink, but what gives them a chance to win something is McDaniel being very smart when it counts. I do not experience the same sentiment with Saleh as yet

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Duh.  But the "no more excuses" thing is a sign that Saleh hasn't proven himself in any way so far.  

I think he’s demonstrated that he knows his X’s and O’s when it comes to defense, and he’s created an improbable atmosphere of positivity in the psychic void know as One Jets Drive, so that’s something. The wins have to come this year, though. I’d extend Joe Douglas today, but I need to see what what Saleh does with this roster before I say the same about him. I hope he proves it, because nothing would be better -and more different- than a little continuity on this godforsaken franchise. 

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think at this juncture, based on resume, it's difficult to argue it's not McDermott > McDaniel > Saleh.

The sample sizes on Saleh and McDaniel are of course, very small.

We don't know what Saleh looks like with an actual QB. It wouldn't shock me if the Jets somehow had a bunch of injuries, miss the playoffs and Saleh was never heard from again -- it also wouldn't shock me if we were a legit contender this year. He took over a bad team, seems to have changed the culture and at a high level the "rebuild" under him and JD seems like it's worked, at least to a certain degree. But now it's time to deliver results.

We don't know what McDaniel looks like with any sense of expectations or microscope on him. Clearly a bright offensive mind, clearly a quirky dude who doesn't scream "leader" or "football coach." Really hard to know what his future is. Similar to the Jets it's been a smart move to just bet against Dolphins coaches and QBs because over time they almost always fail.

McDermott on the other hand took over a team that hadn't made the playoffs since the 90s and has made it in 5 of his 6 seasons. They've taken the mantle from the Pats as "the team to beat in the AFC East" with three straight division titles. I'd be lying if I didn't say that doing that, and beating the brakes off the Pats in that playoff game wasn't something I was intensely jealous of. The question for him is "is this all Josh Allen and does that offensive decline/stability decrease with Daboll gone." Bills feel like they may have peaked in 2021 and with the competition in the division increasing they might be on the decline.

TLDR -- I think it's clearly McDermott > McDaniel > Saleh right now but I think it's entirely possible that looks different by the end of this year.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, JetsFanatic said:

It’s a phenomenon in the NFL, the best coaches have the best QBs.  What has Belichick done since Brady left? What did he do in Cleveland and pre Brady in New England?

With Tom Brady as his starting QB Bill Belichick is

  • 219-64 as a coach.
  • He has 17 playoff appearances in 18 years with Brady starting the majority of the games.
  • He's 30-11 in the playoffs 
  • 17 Division Titles
  • 9 AFC Championships
  • 6 Super Bowl Titles

With anyone other than Tom Brady as his starting QB Bill Belichick is

  • 79-88 as a coach.
  • He has 2 playoff appearances in 9 seasons.
  • 1-2 in the playoffs
  • 0 Division Titles
  • 0 AFC Championships
  • 0 Super Bowl Titles
  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

You can’t help putting McDermott first given buffalos success. McDaniel? The doltfins did well but they also had that long losing streak.  Tuas I just was an issue but overall he had better qb/offensive coordinator play than the jets and only managed a couple of additional wins.

we’ll see. The pressure is really on saleh to get this team playing together. The past two seasons he ignored the offense and milfy screwed the pooch. This season Hackett is better positioned to handle the offense and he has the on field leadership in Rodgers.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Saleh obviously tough to rank so far, as is McDaniel. Saleh won 7 games last year with the absolute worst QB play in the league last year. Then his best RB was lost, as well as his best O lineman. The roster the first year was horrible. I don’t see how anyone would’ve gotten more out of those teams. Let’s see what he can do with a good roster and a good to great QB and then I think it’s fair to judge. 

  • Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, slats said:

I think he’s demonstrated that he knows his X’s and O’s when it comes to defense, and he’s created an improbable atmosphere of positivity in the psychic void know as One Jets Drive, so that’s something. The wins have to come this year, though. I’d extend Joe Douglas today, but I need to see what what Saleh does with this roster before I say the same about him. I hope he proves it, because nothing would be better -and more different- than a little continuity on this godforsaken franchise. 

I agree completely with everything you wrote.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, UntouchableCrew said:

With Tom Brady as his starting QB Bill Belichick is

  • 219-64 as a coach.
  • He has 17 playoff appearances in 18 years with Brady starting the majority of the games.
  • He's 30-11 in the playoffs 
  • 17 Division Titles
  • 9 AFC Championships
  • 6 Super Bowl Titles

With anyone other than Tom Brady as his starting QB Bill Belichick is

  • 79-88 as a coach.
  • He has 2 playoff appearances in 9 seasons.
  • 1-2 in the playoffs
  • 0 Division Titles
  • 0 AFC Championships
  • 0 Super Bowl Titles

He went like 11-5, though, the one year Brady got hurt.   He also took the Pats to the playoffs with Mac Jones (though it was awesome watching them get slapped around by Buffalo in that game).  He has also owned us even without Brady.

If we could go back and have BB stay as HC of the NYJ back when BP "retired" (even if we added a stipulation that he wouldn't have drafted Brady), you wouldn't take that?  I know I would.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, T0mShane said:

I objectively think the Dolphins stink, but what gives them a chance to win something is McDaniel being very smart when it counts. I do not experience the same sentiment with Saleh as yet

Not sure if they "stink", per se but I agree that McDaniel is very smart and can create victories (whereas we haven't seen that, at least so far, from Saleh).

 

14 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

I refuse to believe that wanna be hipster dweeb in Miami is a better coach than anyone. Maybe Adam Gase, maybe.

To me he seems like a very promising young HC.  Plus it seems like his players love him.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Not sure if they "stink", per se but I agree that McDaniel is very smart and can create victories (whereas we haven't seen that, at least so far, from Saleh).

 

To me he seems like a very promising young HC.  Plus it seems like his players love him.

It’s all potential. Are you factoring in that he completely mismanaged his QB’s health? Winning one or two games wont matter once Tua has to retire because of medical reasons. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

He went like 11-5, though, the one year Brady got hurt.   He also took the Pats to the playoffs with Mac Jones (though it was awesome watching them get slapped around by Buffalo in that game).  He has also owned us even without Brady.

If we could go back and have BB stay as HC of the NYJ back when BP "retired" (even if we added a stipulation that he wouldn't have drafted Brady), you wouldn't take that?  I know I would.

 

He did go 11-5 without Brady — Rex Ryan went 11-5 without Brady too. Rex also has a better career winning percentage than BB sans Brady and 4x as many playoff wins.

I think BB is a great coach, don’t get me wrong. But the argument that he’s the “GOAT” pretty much starts and ends with him tripping over his own feet and landing the GOAT QB in the 6th round.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...