Jerry being Jerry

Bronx

1 minute ago, Beerfish said:

Jerry Jones has run his franchise vastly better than the NY Jets have been run during his time there.

Kind of a low bar isn’t it?  And if it wasn’t for lucking out and being college friends with Jimmy Johnson I doubt he would have any championships. He’s built a good stadium and acquired good players over the years but being his own GM and hiring weak coaches  (since Parcels) has doomed him. It’s been almost 30 years since they’ve won anything. Plus he does act like a buffoon as lot. 

• More Ugh 1

13 minutes ago, docdhc said:

Kind of a low bar isn’t it?  And if it wasn’t for lucking out and being college friends with Jimmy Johnson I doubt he would have any championships. He’s built a good stadium and acquired good players over the years but being his own GM and hiring weak coaches  (since Parcels) has doomed him. It’s been almost 30 years since they’ve won anything. Plus he does act like a buffoon as lot. 

During his tenure as owner:

He has a great stadium

He has the most valuable team in pro sports (paid 150 million for it.  Worth 8.3 Billion)

They have made the playoffs in half the years he has been there.

12 div titles

3 super bowl wins

He's a very shrewd successful owner.

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Jerry Jones has run his franchise vastly better than the NY Jets have been run during his time there.

For sure, but he also has zero conference championship game appearances since the 95-96 season. Given the annual Cowboy hype and all of the insane attention this guy gets, it's fair to poke fun at the owner of "America's Team" 

Sam Williams is actually a good player and pass rusher so it would be nice if there was some way he was suspended for our game against Dallas.

It will be interesting to see how we can run the ball against them because their pass rush is excellent - Parsons, Dante Fowler, etc. but im not sure how good they are against the run

1 minute ago, slimjasi said:

For sure, but he also has zero conference championship game appearances since the 95-96 season. Given the annual Cowboy hype and all of the insane attention this guy gets, it's fair to poke fun at the owner of "America's Team" 

Oh yeah he deserves to be poked fun at for his style and actions but he is an old man now and has not run his team as poorly as many speculate.

He's a weird guy and says dumb things but he does not do a bad job of running his team on or off the field.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, docdhc said:

He had a hand in making a lot of key draft picks in the early years that set the team up for success in the 90s. He was also a big part of eliminating complacency in the roster and coaching staff that made the late 80s Cowboys a place to go for a minimum effort paycheck. (Like the 2010s Jets.) He deserves credit for that. I agree that absent a personal relationship with Johnson the team wouldn't have turned around as fast or flown as high, but Jerry was part of that success, too.

Unfortunately for that team he's also what holds it back. He's been trying to recreate that 90s star offense to the detriment of creating a complete roster which is a major reason why the team can chuck up some wins and run up offensive stats but flops in the end. His insistence on a coach that will kiss his ass is a huge problem for that team. Look at how long Garrett was allowed to keep that job and then how quickly the rest of the league wanted nothing to do with him. 

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

During his tenure as owner:

He has a great stadium

He has the most valuable team in pro sports (paid 150 million for it.  Worth 8.3 Billion)

They have made the playoffs in half the years he has been there.

12 div titles

3 super bowl wins

He's a very shrewd successful owner.

I agree he’s a great businessman. I just think that as far as the football part since cutting loose Jimmy Johnson it has been a disappointment aside from regular season success. I guess he’s a good owner who hired a bad gm. 

4 hours ago, Beerfish said:

I’m guessing after JJ, when Jerry made himself GM, radio and tv host the Jets have been in more playoff wins

At worst damn close where it’s not worth bragging