Jump to content

Who will be WR5 on opening day?


slimjasi

Recommended Posts

Listen , I understand that nobody up to and including me is used to this ….but when you have a top 5 D , a top 10 ST , a competent coaching staff and Rodgers at QB….it really doesn’t matter who the F your WR 5 is . Preseason is over let’s go get this 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Jolot said:

Listen , I understand that nobody up to and including me is used to this ….but when you have a top 5 D , a top 10 ST , a competent coaching staff and Rodgers at QB….it really doesn’t matter who the F your WR 5 is . Preseason is over let’s go get this 

It does when he also appears to be a keeper on specials 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, DoubleDown said:

I'm hoping they pick up a better WR from another team after cuts.

Gipson could make it as WR6 for his contributions as a special teams returner.

This.

Fans of every team fall in love with their camp WRs. I was just up in Boston yesterday and heard the sports radio guys talking about how they hope their scrub WRs don't get picked up by another team.

Gipson had a nice 2nd half tonight but let's not pretend he had some type of Wayne Chrebet/Robbie Anderson/Victor Cruz-type training camp/preseason showing. He did not.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Gipson’s Contract


Xavier Gipson signed a 3 year, $2,710,000 contract with the New York Jets, including a $15,000 signing bonus, $165,000 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $903,333. In 2023, Gipson will earn a base salary of $750,000 and a signing bonus of $15,000, while carrying a cap hit of $755,000 and a dead cap value of $165,000.

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, y2k8 said:

This.

Fans of every team fall in love with their camp WRs. I was just up in Boston yesterday and heard the sports radio guys talking about how they hope their scrub WRs don't get picked up by another team.

Gipson had a nice 2nd half tonight but let's not pretend he had some type of Wayne Chrebet/Robbie Anderson/Victor Cruz-type training camp/preseason showing. He did not.

 

True but he played every KR/PR. i think maybe Erickson had 1.

and he did real good at it. 

since nobody else saw time doing that makes me think hes our KR/PR. and thats just what you want from WR 5/6

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Lith said:

Gipson is likely going to make the team because of his ST contributions.

He had a 45-yard kick return against Cleveland just before the half to set up a FG.  A 30+ yard punt return against Tampa to set up a FG.  And he had a 20-yard punt return tonight to give Rodgers the ball at midfield for the TD drive.  That kind of field position is more valuable than any offensive contribution you are likely to get from WR5 or WR6.  I hope (and expect) Gipson will be on the final 53.

Exactly 

The Jets haven’t had a PR that was a legitimate threat to do anything but call for a fair catch since Brad Smith.

For all of the talk about a guy like Brownlee during TC practices, he’s consistently made the routine look difficult during live action so far. Every time I see the ball thrown his way, he has a DB draped all over his back. He has some potential, but he’s a prime PS candidate.

I’m becoming more and more convinced we should just carry 5 wideouts and devote the extra roster spot elsewhere.

Wilson, Lazard, Hardman, Cobb, Gipson

And send Brownlee, Charles and Taylor to the PS.

 

  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, mrcoops said:

It feels like the Jets featured Gipson tonight, to see how he held up.

Kid stepped up, he's the #5 right now.

He had a big drop or two but he bounced back. It is going to be interesting. With Hardman being a bigger part of the passing game now that Davis retired, maybe Gipson is returner # 1.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

Wilson, Lazard, Hardman, Cobb, Gipson

And send Brownlee, Charles and Taylor to the PS.

Cobb, Hardman & Gipson are smaller slot receivers. Charles, Irving or Taylor are the big bodied players if Lazard or GW go down. I’d personally want a 6th receiver for Rodgers.

We don’t need a 5th TE, 4th LB or 5th Safety over one of the most important positions on the team. Whichever WR that offers ST talent

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

Cobb, Hardman & Gipson are smaller slot receivers. Charles, Irving or Taylor are the big bodied players if Lazard or GW go down. I’d personally want a 6th receiver for Rodgers.

We don’t need a 5th TE, 4th LB or 5th Safety over one of the most important positions on the team. Whichever WR that offers ST talent

 

Thing is, I don’t think you have to worry about a single one of those guys not clearing waivers.

After what I’ve witnessed in the pre-season, I’d rather carry an extra OL like Pankey or Senat, a devoted FB in Bawden, an extra LB like Surratt or Vigil, or an extra safety like Dean.

Ideally, the 5th/6th WR on the roster isn’t catching more than 10-15 balls on the season anyway.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...