Alex Leatherwood released

Rhg1084

5 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

It's always easy when there aren't any real stakes....

True, he just seemed so convincing all the time. Kind of like Baldinger. I am always like this guy knows it all when I hear him speak lol.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

I'm not going to pretend to know much about him, but even if substantially overdrafted, it's pretty damning if a guy can't stick for more than a year with any team, especially considering OL is such a common need.  Perhaps a consideration at the the minimum vs whoever they have as the last OL currently set to make the cut, but of course would first need to be a question if there was any more to his releases beyond technique, which can potentially be coached.

35 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

I'm not going to pretend to know much about him, but even if substantially overdrafted, it's pretty damning if a guy can't stick for more than a year with any team, especially considering OL is such a common need.  Perhaps a consideration at the the minimum vs whoever they have as the last OL currently set to make the cut, but of course would first need to be a question if there was any more to his releases beyond technique, which can potentially be coached.

I think their hope is someone else picks up the rest of his guaranteed contract. It's not tens of millions, or anything like that, but it's the better part of $5MM fully guaranteed. At the league minimum someone will surely bite, but that won't happen until he gets past waivers, and then if he needs to be overhauled beyond that then you're talking practice squad, not regular roster. In that case he's not even getting the league minimum but then everyone else gets a waiver chance to grab him (though if he cleared waivers once already, he'd probably clear twice).

The Jets clearly aren't in a position to guarantee Leatherwood a roster spot, even at the league minimum; let alone for two seasons. I mean, the Bears haven't exactly been OL central and even with a fully guaranteed contract in the $2-2.5MM range he couldn't even make the team as a backup at either guard or tackle there.

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

I doubt he's  worse than Max Mitchell. If Mitchell doesn't  improve, he's  a cut a next season. 

Mitchell seems to have been set back by his health problems, he looked promising as a rookie before the blot clot issue.

He was always going to need some development time, as an undersized prospect from a smaller school.  I still have hopes for him.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, mrcoops said:

Mitchell seems to have been set back by his health problems, he looked promising as a rookie before the blot clot issue.

He was always going to need some development time, as an undersized prospect from a smaller school.  I still have hopes for him.

Oh please, Mitchell was good only when he was next to AVT. The game against Pit was way before his blood clot diagnosis.  I don't  recall which the DE was on Pit but he made Mitchell look like a speed bump. That was the first game without AVT and it got worse from there. He also has shown nothing this preseason. Even Joe W was posting how bad he has played. 

2 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

Oh please, Mitchell was good only when he was next to AVT. The game against Pit was way before his blood clot diagnosis.  I don't  recall which the DE was on Pit but he made Mitchell look like a speed bump. That was the first game without AVT and it got worse from there. He also has shown nothing this preseason. Even Joe W was posting how bad he has played. 

He wasn't supposed to play last year, he was expected to have a year to add size and strength. Then he was thrown in as a starter with very little development time due to injuries.

This year, he is coming back from a potentially life-threatening medical issue. He has not looked good in camp or pre-season, but the coaches like him and see him as someone worth developing.

4 minutes ago, mrcoops said:

He wasn't supposed to play last year, he was expected to have a year to add size and strength. Then he was thrown in as a starter with very little development time due to injuries.

This year, he is coming back from a potentially life-threatening medical issue. He has not looked good in camp or pre-season, but the coaches like him and see him as someone worth developing.

That's  fine but if he is no more than a developmental  project, call him that. I mean to say he looked promising is to say there was something he was doing that was good. I saw nothing good from him last season and don't  understand what was promising about last season. 

2 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

A rookie 4th round OT even looking competent is a pretty encouraging sign. Even if he only looked good next to a pro bowler, he still looked good as a 4th round rookie. Considering he was billed as a developmental pick, how could you not be happy with how Mitchell played last year?  

Talking about cutting an investment pick a year after he was drafted, all while playing for the first time after a health issue - most of which has been out of position - is the definition of impatience. Give Max another year of NFL experience. Next year move Becton back to LT and let Max compete with Warren and either a vet signing or 24 draft pick. 

2 hours ago, bonkertons said:

A rookie 4th round OT even looking competent is a pretty encouraging sign. Even if he only looked good next to a pro bowler, he still looked good as a 4th round rookie. Considering he was billed as a developmental pick, how could you not be happy with how Mitchell played last season

Because he sucked 

19 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

That's  fine but if he is no more than a developmental  project, call him that. I mean to say he looked promising is to say there was something he was doing that was good. I saw nothing good from him last season and don't  understand what was promising about last season. 

Meh he looked passable those first few games. 

What made matters worse for him was - in addition to being in over his head - MLF having Flacco drop back to pass 50-60x per game out of the gate on top of that. That he wasn't an unmitigated disaster those first few weeks, on so many passing snaps, was justifiably considered a positive for a player who wasn't supposed to see the field all year (let alone start week 1 as a rookie and then have his OC go pass happy to boot).

Playing next to AVT isn't such a big deal in that it's not like Vera-Tucker was doing the RT's blocking for him on top of his own assignments, and it was AVT's first few games at RG himself. What'd be more telling - and I don't recall them doing so - is if they kept an extra TE on the field next to him to block with him for dozens of pass snaps. He also looked fine off the bench against Chicago (I don't recall him getting beat) but then so did everyone against their DL & no one really got near White all game long. 

He's looked pretty bad this preseason, though. Worse than expected. Becton's far more talented, aside from the massive size differential, but Mitchell (and Turner) made that starting RT job very easily there for the taking.