Zach Wilson got better and Laken Tomlinson isn't wrong

AFJF

Larry Hardesty described Zack best. He runs the offense like sitting in traffic. Stop. Go. Stop. Go. Can never get going fast enough to make any headway, then a mistake or penalty occurs and that's it, the drive is over. Tough to win football games in the NFL throwing only underneath passes. 24 play, 65-yard drives are rarely (if ever) successful. I just don't see it with Zack. Hoping he improves over the coming years but who knows what will happen.

• Upvote 3
  • More Ugh 1

Zach looks improved, but the sample is small. I’m in the ‘cautiously optimistic camp’ regarding his future, or at the very least -  not ready to claim he’s a bust.

It will take a hell of lot of improvement to turn around the opinions of many knowledgeable fans - to say the least.  I don’t devalue their view.

We all share the same hope for this season however.  The hope is that Zach Wilson remains on the sidelines..save for several appearances in the 4th Q..in blowout wins.

• Upvote 4

I’d sign for an offensive line that ultimately is graded as ‘middle of the pack.’

Our OL just can’t be decimated by injuries. Same for any offensive line, but I agree with the view that there is probably no bigger gap between the upside and downside of an OL in the league.

1 hour ago, The Crusher said:

Oh? That's good. Yay Zach. That a boy. Now let's just get through the season without you taking a meaningful snap and we will be on our way. 

Cmon now. We need to think differently at this point. We need to prepare for blowouts by Rodgers out scoring teams at times where Zak relieves him for mop up duties. They would still be meaningful snaps, just not ones that should affect the outcome of the games, and Zak can use that time to get accustomed to the new O scheme and what he needs to work at, which also makes those snaps meaningful.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

The 1 positive about coming back after holding record for half of season of worst qb play in NFL history, you can only go up :)

The crappier you are, the easier it is to improve but the more difficult it is to develop into a decent player.

Back To The Future Paradox GIF by Squirrel Monkey

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, UnknownJetFan said:

Cmon now. We need to think differently at this point. We need to prepare for blowouts by Rodgers out scoring teams at times where Zak relieves him for mop up duties. They would still be meaningful snaps, just not ones that should affect the outcome of the games, and Zak can use that time to get accustomed to the new O scheme and what he needs to work at, which also makes those snaps meaningful.

If they didn’t trust zach enough to open it up in pre season, they certainly won’t in real games. If Zach were to come in during a sizable lead, he will be handing it off 90% of the time. 5% easy passing. The other 5 they may let him throw deep on 3rd down, knowing int would be equivalent of a punt. 

35 minutes ago, jgb said:

It’s the lamest debate tactic to intentionally conflate one’s predictions with one’s desires.

It is but it holds value in many cases. Those who liked the Zach pick from the start are going to feel good about themselves if they're right, so they predict he will succeed. The same for those who didn't like the pick. As much as they may want him to succeed, they will also feel better about themselves if they're right, so they will keep predicting his failure. 

38 minutes ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

If they didn’t trust zach enough to open it up in pre season, they certainly won’t in real games. If Zach were to come in during a sizable lead, he will be handing it off 90% of the time. 5% easy passing. The other 5 they may let him throw deep on 3rd down, knowing int would be equivalent of a punt. 

I didn’t see this dink and dunk short passing thing as a good sign. It felt like they were intentionally hiding him so they wouldn’t have to answer questions on him making the roster or not. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Hex said:

It is but it holds value in many cases. Those who liked the Zach pick from the start are going to feel good about themselves if they're right, so they predict he will succeed. The same for those who didn't like the pick. As much as they may want him to succeed, they will also feel better about themselves if they're right, so they will keep predicting his failure. 

I think this is faulty logic based on a faulty assumption:  that fans who have a negative analysis of a player "feel better about themselves" by being right more than they feel better watching their team win games, win playoff games, and/or win a Super Bowl.

That is just a laughably silly view of the vast bulk of so-called "negative" fans in our community,

Let me make something clear, I'd prefer to never, ever get another prediction, evaluation or opinion right IF the result is the Jets win a Super Bowl.  The two priorities, 1. being smart and making good, accurate analysis, and 2. seeing my beloved team, who I watched religiously for 35+ years, win their first Super Bowl in over a half a century.....they are not equals.  One is far more important to me (and I'd wager every Jets fan) than the other.  I'd rather Zach Wilson win five Super Bowls for us, and me be JN's eternal laughing stock for "doubting him", than be right.

But I do like being intelligent, observant, objective and analytical too, so if I'm going to predict something, or make an analysis, it's going to be based in objective comparative verifiable fact, not fandom.  And you know what, I get it right a hell of lot more often than I get it wrong.  There is a reason the joke on me is a backup QB from literally two decades ago, I haven't missed many since then.   TLDR:  Fandom is for gamedays.  Objectivity is for the rest of the week, and I hope that's the view our GM takes as well.  That every GM should take.

This argument is akin to the "haters won't enjoy it/won't get to celebrate it if we win because they were pessimistic" argument, an equally laughable idea.  

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1