Cimini: Jets Offensive Lineman Generating Trade Interest

Trystan-Colon-scaled.jpg

According to Rich Cimini of ESPN New York, one Jets offensive lineman generating trade interest is guard Trystan Colon.  The former Baltimore Raven signed with the Jets earlier this offseason.  However, given the versatility of the Jets O-line, the team may be willing to move the 6′ 3” 313 pounder.

Something to watch tomorrow on cutdown day: A number of teams have called the Jets inquiring about trading for C/G Trystan Colon, per source. The #Jets have a surplus at center (McGovern, Tippmann, Schweitzer).

— Rich Cimini (@RichCimini) August 29, 2023

Our projected 53-man roster that was put out just a couple of days ago didn’t included Colon for that very reason.  With the likes of Connor McGovern, Alijah Vera-Tucker, Was Schweitzer and Joe Tippmann on board, the Jets have several interior players who can cover multiple spots.

With the Jets finally having enough talent to make cutting their roster down to 53 more challenging than it has in years past, having a handful of players who may be sought after by other clubs isn’t as rare as it once was.

The post Cimini: Jets Offensive Lineman Generating Trade Interest appeared first on JetNation.com - New York Jets Blog & Forum.

Click here to read the full story...

• Upvote 2

Pretty nice when teams have interest in your depth players.  So much for the schtick about Douglas not doing enough for the oline.  Sounds to me like he brought in a large number of good players and with becton returning ( and brown and avt) the jets should have a much better oline than they have had in a very long time.

• Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, wediditjoe said:

Doesn’t really make sense to trade Colon as he also has guard versatility. We kind of need him as a depth piece, no? He’s solid and has starter experience on a good team (Baltimore). My question is what happens to Carter Warren’s roster spot? It seems like he’s an IR candidate which makes sense to red shirt him in year 1. That could open up a spot for Colon.

O line depth should be:

LT : Brown/Turner

LG : Tomlinson/Schweitzer

C : McGovern/Tippmann

RG : AVT/Colon

RT : Becton/Mitchell

Warren on IR

Thats by far the best depth we’ve ever had with high end starters at multiple positions if things go our way.

Turner can also play RG 

18 minutes ago, wediditjoe said:

Doesn’t really make sense to trade Colon as he also has guard versatility. We kind of need him as a depth piece, no? He’s solid and has starter experience on a good team (Baltimore). My question is what happens to Carter Warren’s roster spot? It seems like he’s an IR candidate which makes sense to red shirt him in year 1. That could open up a spot for Colon.

O line depth should be:

Warren on IR

Thats by far the best depth we’ve ever had with high end starters at multiple positions if things go our way.

McGovern and Turner also play guard 

13 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

But the national sports media told me the Jets OL was a joke? We have . . . Depth?

Our depth is OK / probably better than a lot of other teams. But our starting 5 has questions (mainly health related) that may make that depth a necessity rather than a luxury.

• Upvote 3

59 minutes ago, wediditjoe said:

O line depth should be:

Warren on IR

Teams look for versatility so that you can cover different positions with fewer roster spots - a swing tackle who can step in at either side in a pinch, a guard who can also play center (or vice versa). That way you can have 8 or 9 OL on the roster while still being 2 deep at each position.

Carrying 10 OL is one option, but we likely won't have 6 interior OL on our 53, given how seldom these guys play (barring injury). Whereas DL. RB and WR you want to be able to rotate guys in and out during the game.

• Upvote 1

I've mentioned this before, but every time I key on the OL and try to focus on a certain player, Colon stands out.  He's a solid versatile vet who just seems to do the right thing every snap.  He might not be amazing but just does things the right way and I will say, any time I watch a run play, he's always down field looking for an extra block, the guy can move.  I'd rather keep that type of player as depth during an all in year.

• Upvote 4

6 minutes ago, JiF said:

I've mentioned this before, but every time I key on the OL and try to focus on a certain player, Colon stands out.  He's a solid versatile vet who just seems to do the right thing every snap.  He might not be amazing but just does things the right way and I will say, any time I watch a run play, he's always down field looking for an extra block, they guy can move.  I'd rather keep that type of player as depth during an all in year.

After the last couple years I the amount of O line injuries I’m  not even sure how trading him or any piece of the O line is a thing. Something to discuss I guess but at the end of the day you would need severely dumb brains to do that. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, SickJetFan said:

im curious if they will try trade Huff... they played him an awful lot in PS for someone they know what they already got in him

Makes way more sense than trading O line but unless we are looking at a day 1 pick? I still like the fact Josh Allen doesn’t want to hear Huff’s number name called Monday night. Get him looking over shoulder little bit. 

4 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Makes way more sense than trading O line but unless we are looking at a day 1 pick? I still like the fact Josh Allen doesn’t want to hear Huff’s number name called Monday night. Get him looking over shoulder little bit. 

It would make sense if they could get a good WR out of the deal...not sure a pick would make sense but maybe

• Upvote 1

That really sucks to hear.  Was hoping we'd be able to sneak him on the practice squad.  I honestly like him more than Schweitzer so perhaps they'll surprise us and keep TCC over Wes.  Either that or they still go with 10 OL even with Warren on IR

OT:  Becton; Brown; Turner; Mitchell

IOL: AVT; Tomlinson; McGovern; Tippmann; Schweitzer; TCC

But yeah, I like him.  Only 25 years old as well so has a lot of football ahead of him.  I am curious to see what other teams are actually offering for him though.

1 hour ago, SickJetFan said:

It would make sense if they could get a good WR out of the deal...not sure a pick would make sense but maybe

Why does trading an EDGE rusher with the fastest burst in the NFL (not an opinion he is clearly first in PBWR in the NFL), that just had at least 1 sack and several pressures in every preseason game make sense at all? We can fantasize all we want about the upside of JJ and MacDonald but Huff is our best EDGE. Easily. Lawson can barely walk. You extend players like Huff. Not trade them. Instead of using the Davis money on some veteran JAG 4th receiver that another team cuts, use it to extend Huff now. It's not like he is old. He is a year older than MacDonald and JJ

4 minutes ago, SickJetFan said:

unless it is 3rd and extremely long, I doubt Huff and McD see the field at same time

I think that the reason Saleh played him so much was to see if he could improve at setting an edge and playing against the run. He did improve quite a bit at both

6 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Yea I like the idea of Bryce Huff and Will McDonald IV flying of the edges on 3rd and long while Sauce is roaming the secondary waiting to clean up.

While I like Bryce, we can't hold all of our DL and anyone we release will likely get picked up. If we have the depth, I would trade Bryce for a qualify pick next year. We probably Cann't afford to sign him next year anyway. But, I am also glad he is staying.

1 minute ago, JohnnyLV said:

Why does trading an EDGE rusher with the fastest burst in the NFL (not an opinion he is clearly first in PBWR in the NFL), that just had at least 1 sack and several pressures in every preseason game make sense at all? We can fantasize all we want about the upside of JJ and MacDonald but Huff is our best EDGE. Easily. Lawson can barely walk. You extend players like Huff. Not trade them. Instead of using the Davis money on some veteran JAG 4th receiver that another team cuts, use it to extend Huff now. It's not like he is old. He is a year older than MacDonald and JJ

Huff played 16% snaps in 2022.  He was the same player as he is this year and they just drafted McD who will need some of those snaps.  They are playing the comp game with Huff which mean tops 4th rounder who prob wont meaningfully contribute until 2025?  The WR group is dangerously thin in what should be win-now team.  If they can get a high floor WR instead of non-guaranteed comp pick that may have high ceiling they should do it.

I don’t think they should carry 10 OL, and I don’t think they will. I liked Colon better than Schweitzer, but they had Schweitzer running with ones at times in camp this summer, so they probably prefer him. Be interesting to see what a trade for him looks like. 

3 hours ago, wediditjoe said:

O line depth should be:

Warren on IR

The real question is whether we are keeping them all. If we were going to release him anyway, might as well get something for him.