"If you're gonna' box, you gotta' spar"

AFJF

The words of Steelers head coach Mike Tomlin when asked why his starters were playing so much in the preseason.

Which approach would you prefer?  Saleh giving everyone as much time off as possible or Tomlin having guys play to gear up for the season?

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, AFJF said:

The words of Steelers head coach Mike Tomlin when asked why his starters were playing so much in the preseason.

Which approach would you prefer?  Saleh giving everyone as much time off as possible or Tomlin having guys play to gear up for the season?

I don’t think the Steelers have been quite as snake bitten with injuries as the Jets have been. I’m happy they made it thru training camp without any major injuries. Particularly the OL, the biggest question mark all off season, looking like they’ll be in solid shape for the opener. Hard to complain about that. 

• Upvote 4

12 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Eh, I don’t think either approach matters. I can remember Tomlin’s Steelers getting run out of the building 33-3, like a high school team drubbed by the Pats in the first game if 2019.

Preparation can take on many forms. The key is showing up. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, chirorob said:

As bad as the Jets were hit last year, I dont blame Saleh for resting the starters.   If he had played them a bunch and some got hurt, the fans and media would be going nuts.

Yeah that one's easy to criticize in hindsight, especially if armed with the knowledge of whose injuries wouldn't have happened in a preseason game that doesn't count, particularly against teams fielding camp fodder trying to get noticed on any play just to make the 53.

Imagine they played their starters more and - never mind Rodgers - lost QW for the season on a cut block, or Garrett Wilson got concussed badly on a helmet to helmet blindside hit from a LB, from camp bodies who have nothing to lose.

They did a couple scrimmages, and pretty much everyone got at least some playing time. It's better if they get more preseason snaps IF they don't get injured, of course. 

17 games is a long season as it is, and if they can stay healthy the Jets figure to play more than that. After all the OL and WR and QB injuries from the last 2 seasons alone, yeah I'm sympathetic to playing it safe with the starters.

• Upvote 3

9 minutes ago, slats said:

I don’t think the Steelers have been quite as snake bitten with injuries as the Jets have been. I’m happy they made it thru training camp without any major injuries. Particularly the OL, the biggest question mark all off season, looking like they’ll be in solid shape for the opener. Hard to complain about that. 

It is interesting because in addition to starters playing in preseasonthey practice (outside of QB obviously) full contact to the ground in every padded practice. I don't think Saleh does that a single time. Rex used to do it like 3-4 times in preseason. Gase didn't do it. Bowles didn't do it and yet the Steelers have in general been healthier, I have often wondered if the additional risk is ultimately the rewards/

A bash Saleh thread.  The disease is in full force.  My goodness.

Saleh did just play his starters and it was a genius move that paid off big time.  The disease was at their keyboards ready to pounce if anyone got hurt.  Then scattered like cockroaches when it was time to praise Saleh for making the right choice and it turning out fantastic.

Great call coach!  Thats why you are one of the best, young coaches in the game!

3 minutes ago, JohnnyLV said:

It is interesting because in addition to starters playing in preseasonthey practice (outside of QB obviously) full contact to the ground in every padded practice. I don't think Saleh does that a single time. Rex used to do it like 3-4 times in preseason. Gase didn't do it. Bowles didn't do it and yet the Steelers have in general been healthier, I have often wondered if the additional risk is ultimately the rewards/

Overall that's something most teams are trending away from. It def has it's downsides but I'd bet Tomlin is in in the minority in having many full tackle practices.

Of course, the Steelers will probably be one of the best tackling and most physical teams in the league, especially early in the season.

4 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

Overall that's something most teams are trending away from. It def has it's downsides but I'd bet Tomlin is in in the minority in having many full tackle practices.

Of course, the Steelers will probably be one of the best tackling and most physical teams in the league, especially early in the season.

The number of full contact practices is limited by the CBA. Do all teams use the max number possibly not. 

• Upvote 1

Going into the season healthy is all I care about up to this point. I think the CS staff did a good job handling a hell of a workload with AR joining the team, Hard knocks, 1JD,  keeping  the team focused and motivated also coaching these young kids up. Let’s hope it translates to success in season. 

43 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Sounds great until you start losing starters in the preseason then all of a sudden the coach is labeled an ass for starting his starters during the preseason by the same people who labeled the preseason club med. Also, Tomlin took over a SB team, and to this point rode them into the ground.

34 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

I think they are the only one if I remember correctly.

1 hour ago, AFJF said:

We have been snake bit injury wise so I say Salah has done the right thing.  

1 hour ago, AFJF said:

Prefer they play more but after the absolute beating of injuries team has had during Booby’s tenure , I have a hard time not understand why he’s doing it this way. 

3 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Last year the defense didn't lose anyone of significance.  The D was shockingly healthy.   Let's hope it stays that way.

The O got completely decimated though.

The one game when Q went down and the the defense went from terrifying to pedestrian? Q earned that payday, 

• Upvote 3

What did we all say about Rex when Sanchez got hurt in the PS against the Giants? We said there was no reason for him to be in that game at that time, and Rex was dead wrong for playing him there - everyone agreed on that. Now I am no Saleh fan, but HC's cannot win when it comes to this subject. To quote the great Alan Parsons, they are "damned if they do, damned if they don't".

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, ASH1962 said:

What did we all say about Rex when Sanchez got hurt in the PS against the Giants? We said there was no reason for him to be in that game at that time, and Rex was dead wrong for playing him there - everyone agreed on that Now I am no Saleh fan, but HC's cannot win when it comes to this subject. To quote the great Alan Parsons, they are "damned if they do, damned if they don't".

I never agreed with that. 

I thought the controversy over the Sanchez snoopy bowl injury was silly.