A few things to really LIKE about these Jets ..

30 minutes ago, billo83 said:

I'll add in having potentially a top 5 duo at RB will help immensely

It’s a negative in my opinion.

I prefer the Chiefs way of doing things. Never run, unless it’s just to run out the clock.

I prefer average RB’s because it’s less likely the team will be tempted to use them.

Its 2023. It’s a passing league.

• Thumb Down 1
  • WTF? 5
  • More Ugh 2
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Facts said:

I prefer the Chiefs way of doing things. Never run, unless it’s just to run out the clock.

I prefer average RB’s because it’s less likely the team will be tempted to use them.

Except that the Jets WR corp is not top 5 and 39 year old AR is not Mahomes. Teams will double Wilson all day. If they have to respect a potential lethal running attack, it will open things up in the passing game. 

• Upvote 4

6 minutes ago, billo83 said:

Except that the Jets WR corp is not top 5 and 39 year old AR is not Mahomes. Teams will double Wilson all day. If they have to respect a potential lethal running attack, it will open things up in the passing game. 

More like we don’t have a Kelce to bail you out if no one gets free.

I don’t think the Chiefs were the most pass happy team in the NFL, they run the ball more that facts believes.  Shocking as that may be, lol

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Facts said:

Facts:

IMG_0349.thumb.jpeg.2eff1f135c44889b193989155acc8bcd.jpeg

There’s isn’t a single negative in having a good running game.  You have RBs on the roster and you’d rather have RBs that don’t run well and take pressure off of you QB and WRs? What?

• Upvote 3

17 minutes ago, Facts said:

Disappointed Colton Dunn GIF by Superstore

I've said to people since 98-99 that it's becoming a passing league, and teams need to take advantage of that. Having said that, you don't make yourself one dimensional as that makes it easy to beat you, and every team is different. Keep in mind the Jets aren't the Chiefs (different roster, coaches, systems, staff). Also, keep in mind that as teams gear up to stop the pass it makes them soft against the run (faster lighter coverage backers are easier for the oline to maul in the run game). Being able to do both well instead of just one thing really good is often better. 

• Upvote 4

50 minutes ago, Facts said:

"Dude!?, I'm like almost 40!!"  "Facts!!!"

-A. Rodgers

I find it so hilarious how happy people are that we have Garrett Wilson when I've been wanting us to spend a high draft pick on a WR for a LONG time and countless people have told me for years that we don't need a star WR to win.

And now that we have one. It doesn't apply anymore.

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, Warfish said:

This team should compete, and be in every game, to the final whistle, every week.  We have no major glaring weaknesses.

Expectations regarding a post-season birth may finally be valid.

Should be an enjoyable season.  Rodgers is a HOF'er, enjoy him while we have him.

Yep, no more half times staring at my lawnmower thinking mowing grass might be more enjoyable than watching the second half!

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

Saleh now has a lot to work with, there can be no excuses not to compete for the Division crown as a starting point.

At a high level …

1. The franchise QB to #1 WR (or unicorn TE) tandem might be the most important ingredient to a team’s success.  1 + 1 = 3.  Rodgers to Garrett has the potential to be magical

2. Knowing how to win is something that has been mostly absent in Jets history.  Rodgers knows how to win .. starting with leadership/accountability and extending to actually scoring points on game day.  It’s possible he won’t put up the best fantasy stats at age 39, but the guy STILL knows how to lead an offense to points.  Get ready for the audible in a game of chess, we’ve been playing amateur checkers for far too long

3. In a passing league, the best defenses tend to be strong at defensive line & corner.

CB:  Sauce, DJ, Carter II are all arguably top 3 at their respective positions.  Can play zone or man, and are good against the run

DL:  Strong and deep on the inside and outside.   Can beat you in many ways … stop the pass & run.  At least 1 star in Quinnen plus 2-3 potential stars in the making (JJ, Huff, McDonald)

4. All else equal, excluding QB & Kicker, young tends to be better than old.  This is the main reason I have the Jets passing the Bills this year

5. Special teams might be the difference between 1-2 extra wins.  We found this out last year.  The punting game in particular has the potential to be exponentially better 

Yes, we have weaknesses like all teams do.  The biggest risks are the OL holding up / gelling and stopping the TE.  

Plus we need some relatively good health and luck, something we tend to score low on.

Agree/disagree?  What else?

It's hard to argue with anything you have said.  The problem is that the arrows haven't started flying yet.  That is when we will truly know what kind of team we have.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

2. Knowing how to win is something that has been mostly absent in Jets history.  Rodgers knows how to win .. starting with leadership/accountability and extending to actually scoring points on game day.  It’s possible he won’t put up the best fantasy stats at age 39, but the guy STILL knows how to lead an offense to points.  Get ready for the audible in a game of chess, we’ve been playing amateur checkers for far too long

Agree here. Rodgers said we need “manifestation powers” when miked up on Hard Knocks. This is an understatement. We don’t know how to win at this point.  

7 minutes ago, Alka said:

It's hard to argue with anything you have said.  The problem is that the arrows haven't started flying yet.  That is when we will truly know what kind of team we have.

Precisely so.

I would add one note of caution that we are talented but dangerously thin almost everywhere except DL.

To the person not comfortable with a good/dominant run game I am shocked.  If we have a run game which forces opponents to over commit to defending it then we have a surgeon back there who can slice apart whatever defense is left and we will have the luxury of not asking him to chuck the ball up there 50 times a game.  A strong running game makes everything better.  Just ask Mark Sanchez.

• Upvote 3

Can you imagine what it will be like to have a defense that is not tired out by the 2nd quarter because the offense goes 3-and-out all day long?

Can you imagine what this defense will be able to do if they are playing with a lead and opponents are having to play catch up?  Unleash the hounds!

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

Just now, T0mShane said:

They can rush the passer from multiple spots on the DL, which is like 80% of the battle. If Jermaine Johnson and Will McDonald can combine for 20 sacks and 150 pressures this season, the Jets are going to win the Super Bowl. 

20 sacks and 150 pressures may be a tad optimistic for one game but from your lips to God's ears...

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, slimjasi said:

Having elite talent at running back is a negative (with the main guy on a rookie deal). LMAO

holy sh*t

Like having a super hot girlfriend. You’re always going to know that guys will be hitting on her.

There are negatives to great things.

I have no interest in running the football. Just pass baby.

4 minutes ago, Facts said:

Like having a super hot girlfriend. You’re always going to know that guys will be hitting on her.

There are negatives to great things.

I have no interest in running the football. Just pass baby.

They next person who interviews Kyle Shanahan should tell him that his vaunted running game, along with Christian McCaffrey, is a . . . negative

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Bobby816 said:

I find it so hilarious how happy people are that we have Garrett Wilson when I've been wanting us to spend a high draft pick on a WR for a LONG time and countless people have told me for years that we don't need a star WR to win.

And now that we have one. It doesn't apply anymore.

Yes. That's hilarious. 

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, EM31 said:

If the new Becton is for real... (small sample size)  

Then some real damage is going to get done on that right side.

Was waiting for this one.  Agreed.  That right side at the very least should open gaping holes for the run game.  AVT is a very good pass blocker while Becton’s range is mediocre to stud potential.  

6 hours ago, slimjasi said:

The biggest thing missing from the OP is that we have the potential for an elite running game if Hall and Cook (as well as Izzy and Carter) are healthy. 

This^  With Becton and AVT on the right side, I don't see any D stopping our rushing attack to the right.  Put Ruckert on that side, and it's even more likely to succeed.  If the D tries to stack too many men on the left side, that will just make them vulnerable on the left or up the gut.

• Upvote 1