Beatles: get back documentary.....

A lil late to the party but WOW. A few comments:

1. How is the video quality so good? on my cheapo 4k tv it looks like it was shot yesterday.

2. Paul is the genius in the band. Hands down. The driving force and the guy with the best ideas

3. John and yoko are not that bad. In fact now I can stop blaming yoko for the breakup. It was paul, or rather the ego of others that did not care for pauls leadership meanwhile they were not writing the same level stuff as paul. John actually seems OK.

4. Ringo does not say a word???

5. George is a bit of a dummy. IDK.

6. The beatles put NO thought in lyrics. It was just made up on the spot.

7. I really enjo when they just jam and have fun. There is a nice dynamic going on with paul and john

Overall, what an amazing set of footage. It is as if you are a fly on the wall. Honesly it could be cut down to 2.5 hours for most ppl but I could watch way more

• Upvote 1

On 8/31/2023 at 10:32 AM, HighPitch said:

2. Paul is the genius in the band. Hands down. The driving force and the guy with the best ideas

He’s the driving force at this point, and that would continue well into their solo careers. Paul is the one who is clearly the most driven to create to this day. At this time, John and Yoko were snorting heroin, and you could tell that some days he just wasn’t interested. While Two of Us is probably my favorite track from the project, I Dig a Pony and Don’t Let Me Down are better than anything else that Paul brought to the table. George was actually the one who was most prepared, bringing finished songs to the sessions. A lot of work on songs like All Things Must Pass that no one heard until his solo work. 

On 8/31/2023 at 10:32 AM, HighPitch said:

6. The beatles put NO thought in lyrics. It was just made up on the spot.

Get Back? Yeah, that’s Paul genius in action, making something out of nothing. Counterpoint would be George playing Something, a song he’d been working on for at least six months at that point, and asking John and Paul for lyric ideas for the second line. I’d say he was putting quite a bit of thought into it. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, slats said:

He’s the driving force at this point, and that would continue well into their solo careers. Paul is the one who is clearly the most driven to create to this day. At this time, John and Yoko were snorting heroin, and you could tell that some days he just wasn’t interested. While Two of Us is probably my favorite track from the project, I Dig a Pony and Don’t Let Me Down are better than anything else that Paul brought to the table. George was actually the one who was most prepared, bringing finished songs to the sessions. A lot of work on songs like All Things Must Pass that no one heard until his solo work. 

OK. Theres a bit of subjectiveness in this though..... YOU say I dig a pony is stronger than say, Maxwells silver hammer, but that opinion may not be shared by everyone. To me they are almost equals. My point is that Paul is the driving force of the band. If the unmotivated herion addict didnt have him, maybe we never hear i dig a pony?  also, is that a john song for sure? 

1 hour ago, slats said:

Get Back? Yeah, that’s Paul genius in action, making something out of nothing. Counterpoint would be George playing Something, a song he’d been working on for at least six months at that point, and asking John and Paul for lyric ideas for the second line. I’d say he was putting quite a bit of thought into it. 

This I just dont agree with. I put a lot of effort and though into my lyrics. What I saw in the studio was them writing lyrics as an afterthought. additionally, they werent trying to create much meaning. if it rhymed and sounded cool it was done. I dont think im being unfair about this. And if george was working on a song for 6 months, which is ridiculous to begin with, then you would think he would have the second verse done at that point.  I dont really recall the moment you say he asked for help, but did he say "Hey guys this song is about xyz and how it relates to abd. I'm stuck on the second verse any ideas?" I'll bet he didnt and that only supports my argument that they put little value in lyrics. 

Im just telling you MY thoughts. What surprised ME. We can all have our own takes. I will say that before this I always thought john was the genius and paul the fluff but to me that is not what was going on. ringo was a non factor, george was a minor player, john was a huge part of it but paul really steered the ship. PLUS he was a brilliant songwriter. You say I dig a pony I counter it with let it be who is better? idk if we should even be discussing that its splitting hairs imo

7 minutes ago, HighPitch said:

YOU say I dig a pony is stronger than say, Maxwells silver hammer, but that opinion may not be shared by everyone. To me they are almost equals

Interesting choice here. The other three Beatles hated that song, and was a major motivating force for George to never want to work with Paul ever again. I liked it when I was a kid, but there are a lot of Paul songs I felt that way about and then grew out of. 

8 minutes ago, HighPitch said:

My point is that Paul is the driving force of the band.

He became that as John got distracted by drugs and Yoko and Brian Epstein died, I think that’s fair. Paul is clearly more driven to create than any of the others. The driving force that made them what they were, though, would be the rivalry between the two geniuses. Of course it’s subjective, otherwise. I’d have Strawberry Fields and Rain as the A-sides over Penny Lane and Paperback Writer. Sgt. Pepper was Paul’s concept, but what did he contribute to that album that compared to Lucy, Mr. Kite, or A Day in the Life? 

To me, it’s John who wrote the most interesting songs. The one who went out on the further limbs and still delivered. Paul delivered most of the hits, though, no doubt. I see John as the guy with a chip on his shoulder bigger than his feet, but once he conquered pop he was bored. Paul was driven to continue to try to conquer pop after he already had. 

21 hours ago, JetPotato said:

Quality isn't measured in "hits". If so, Ringo sold more albums post-Beatles than John or Paul. Is he better?

George, hands down, the best Beatle from an artist and human standpoint. It's not even close. 

John was the Beatles equivalent of Jamal Adams.

lol such wild and different opinions but to each their own

and YES ringo did the best stuff post beatles. The NO NO song was the best

George was very good but I dont see any evidence that he was the best artist or human. again, subjective. If the beatles never met ringo, the beatles would still be the beatles. If they never met George, they beatles would still be the beatles. If either john or paul were out of the picture, no beatles imo

And YES....... HITS mean nothing

21 hours ago, slats said:

Interesting choice here. The other three Beatles hated that song, and was a major motivating force for George to never want to work with Paul ever again. I liked it when I was a kid, but there are a lot of Paul songs I felt that way about and then grew out of. 

He became that as John got distracted by drugs and Yoko and Brian Epstein died, I think that’s fair. Paul is clearly more driven to create than any of the others. The driving force that made them what they were, though, would be the rivalry between the two geniuses. Of course it’s subjective, otherwise. I’d have Strawberry Fields and Rain as the A-sides over Penny Lane and Paperback Writer. Sgt. Pepper was Paul’s concept, but what did he contribute to that album that compared to Lucy, Mr. Kite, or A Day in the Life? 

To me, it’s John who wrote the most interesting songs. The one who went out on the further limbs and still delivered. Paul delivered most of the hits, though, no doubt. I see John as the guy with a chip on his shoulder bigger than his feet, but once he conquered pop he was bored. Paul was driven to continue to try to conquer pop after he already had. 

Heres the thing: we have no video on the strawberry fields days therefore no solid assumptions can be made.

We have detailed video for the white album so thats what were talking about. before that , were really just speculating

16 minutes ago, HighPitch said:

lol such wild and different opinions but to each their own

and YES ringo did the best stuff post beatles. The NO NO song was the best

George was very good but I dont see any evidence that he was the best artist or human. again, subjective. If the beatles never met ringo, the beatles would still be the beatles. If they never met George, they beatles would still be the beatles. If either john or paul were out of the picture, no beatles imo

And YES....... HITS mean nothing

Bob Dylan wouldn't have "changed" the Beatles without George. Also, Clapton wouldn't have been a friend, no While My Guitar Gently Weeps, Taxman, Think for Yourself, Within You Without You, Something, Here Comes the Sun, etc, no "Quiet Beatle", just loud mouth ones.

1 hour ago, JetPotato said:

Bob Dylan wouldn't have "changed" the Beatles without George. Also, Clapton wouldn't have been a friend, no While My Guitar Gently Weeps, Taxman, Think for Yourself, Within You Without You, Something, Here Comes the Sun, etc, no "Quiet Beatle", just loud mouth ones.

this is all speculation but ok. 

All songs mentioned are marginal, imo, except taxman, georges best.

but thats opinion as well

21 minutes ago, JetPotato said:

"Something" is marginal? If you say so. I believe it was Frank Sinatra who called it the greatest love song of all time.

Yes believe it or not its called an opinion. 

I am not one of these programmed robots that thinks taylor swift is the cats meow because she is promoted to no end on the big tv

something is a good song. i like george. why are we battling over opinions?

btw are you ready to admit that peter gabriel era genesis is the finest work of art of the 20th century? ok then we can agree to disagree

19 hours ago, HighPitch said:

Heres the thing: we have no video on the strawberry fields days therefore no solid assumptions can be made.

We have detailed video for the white album so thats what were talking about. before that , were really just speculating

I am not Beatles expert, but there were these things before video called interviews, magazines, newspapers, books.  People wrote things down. I mean sh*t are we just speculating about the Lincoln assasination?  Must be.  There is no video. 

4 hours ago, HighPitch said:

Yes believe it or not its called an opinion. 

I am not one of these programmed robots that thinks taylor swift is the cats meow because she is promoted to no end on the big tv

something is a good song. i like george. why are we battling over opinions?

btw are you ready to admit that peter gabriel era genesis is the finest work of art of the 20th century? ok then we can agree to disagree

There are no opinions about George. He's the best Beatle and the science proves it.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

I am not Beatles expert, but there were these things before video called interviews, magazines, newspapers, books.  People wrote things down. I mean sh*t are we just speculating about the Lincoln assasination?  Must be.  There is no video. 

well that a weird take.

Did you ever hear the saying that a picture is worth a thousand words?

Im sure a high quality 3 angle detailed video with clear audio of the lincoln assassination would be more telling than every word ever written about the subject

4 minutes ago, HighPitch said:

well that a weird take.

Did you ever hear the saying that a picture is worth a thousand words?

Im sure a high quality 3 angle detailed video with clear audio of the lincoln assassination would be more telling than every word ever written about the subject

That is true.  It also true that sh*t can be edited to make it seem like damn near anything that they want.  You act like nobody knew sh*t about the Beatles or their interactions prior to this.  You said "We are just speculating"  Sure we are just speculating, based on interviews, eyewitness accounts, other footage.  They weren't exactly private figures.