RIP Gil Brandt

Warfish

Sorry to hear that but you could see he was declining. Even three years ago he was still amazingly sharp. He is easily one of the probably 5 most influential non players in making the NFL what it was from creating the combine, using analytics, running the draft. He was an amazing guy

• Upvote 2

23 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I'm quite sure you've said, "Feel better!" to a sick person plenty of times. When you did, was it because you felt said sick person wouldn't feel better without your saying so?

But in that situation, we do it to be polite to the person you’re in a conversation with. Sometimes starting you right in the face, or on the phone.

In this situation, the person has no idea we are telling them to rest in peace. So what’s the point? Who is it helping?

Larry David agrees with me. He understands.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Facts said:

But in that situation, the person you’re being polite to is in a conversation with you. Sometimes starting you right in the face, or on the phone.

In this situation, the person has no idea we are telling them to rest in peace. So what’s the point? Who is it helping?

I respect your beliefs.

When your day comes, and you shuffle off this mortal coil, we will be sure to remind everyone that RIP's would be unnecessary and inappropriate.

It's literally the very least we can do for you.

• Haha 3

5 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I respect your beliefs.

When your day comes, and you shuffle off this mortal coil, we will be sure to remind everyone that RIP's would be unnecessary and inappropriate.

It's literally the very least we can do for you.

When my time comes, by all means, feel free to save the RIP’s. I will not know or care whether anyone types “RIP”. It is literally a waste of time, space, effort and thought. The dead doesn’t know and the sentiment has lost all of its meaning with so many regurgitated “RIP”s.

8 minutes ago, Facts said:

When my time comes, by all means, feel free to save the RIP’s. I will not know or care whether anyone types “RIP”. It is literally a waste of time, space, effort and thought. The dead doesn’t know and the sentiment has lost all of its meaning with so many regurgitated “RIP”s.

Although to be fair, it's not your time we'd be wasting, and you'd never know we did it, so it doesn't really make any difference to you if we do or don't.  The dead don't get a say in what the living chose to do with their time.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Although to be fair, it's not your time we'd be wasting, and you'd never know we did it, so it doesn't really make any difference to you if we do or don't.  The dead don't get a say in what the living chose to do with their time.

Exactly - so why do it?

43 minutes ago, Facts said:

But in that situation, we do it to be polite to the person you’re in a conversation with. Sometimes starting you right in the face, or on the phone.

Find me the person here who believes he is conversing directly with Gil Brandt. Seems to me they're talking to others here, actually communicating "I hope he rests in peace."

Never mind that the phrase is uttered by those who don't believe in heaven, hell, an immortal soul, or that anything is actually affected whether the decedent's remains are left alone or utterly desecrated (in terms of effect on the decedent individually) prior to decomposing slowly over time. But Rodney put it far better:

1 hour ago, Facts said:

When a leper dies you tell him to rest in pieces

• Haha 2