Will McDonald IV: The Irony of the Jets Drafting Him

JetNation

Will McDonald

Yes, I know, the NFL draft was in April, but something came to mind when thinking back on the Jets taking Will McDonald IV in the first round.

I had reservations about the pick, not from a talent standpoint–he reminds me of Robert Mathis, with Dwight Freeney’s spin move–but from a standpoint of he wasn’t what the team needed. They have a plethora of pass rushers.

While I think you can never have enough pass rushers, however, they had needs in other areas such as offensive lineman, defensive tackle–they were thin in that area after losing Sheldon Rankins and Nathan Shepherd–and linebacker that needed to be addressed.

Speaking of having a plethora of pass rushers, this brings me to the irony that came to mind recently. I remember during the Rex Ryan era, when they lacked pass rushers. I thought was Shaun Ellis was underrated, and Calvin Pace was more of a complementary pass rusher, for the most part, they were the main guys getting after the quarterback.

Almost every draft I was hoping they would draft an edge rusher, but they usually went elsewhere with the pick.

Now, they’re loaded with pass rushers, and they’ve added another one in Will McDonald. The good thing is, he has been turning heads in camp, and he has had a pretty good preseason.

I don’t see him starting right off the bat, but with his speed and skill set, which fits perfectly in the Wide-Nine alignment that the Jets like to use, plus the fact that Robert Saleh likes to rotate his defensive lineman, he will get snaps, and I think he will be an eventual starter.

The post Will McDonald IV: The Irony of the Jets Drafting Him appeared first on JetNation.com - New York Jets Blog & Forum.

Click here to read the full story...

• Upvote 1
  • More Ugh 1
  • Haha 1

My name should be Mr. Measurables, and with that established

WM's measurables weren't great. His speed off the edge 4.7

not what you would want in a top round LB. His car jumping vertical

was 36'' not the purported 42 or 43'' I actually wanted a edge rusher with

our pick. The player I wanted was Clemson's Murphy who covered his 40

in 4.5 at 270 lbs, enough weight to go inside. I like McDonald who plays

faster than he test. Not a fan of the spin move at least as often as WC

uses it. My reasoning when spinning the player loses  site of the blocker, not

a good thing

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1

Nice player, for sure some elite looking pass rushing traits, however.....

I still would have picked WR.

We have pass rushers coming out of our ears and it becomes the law of diminishing returns.

The good news is we have tons of pass rushing dline, the bad news is snap %

Bryce Huff a guy who looks like an elite pass rusher?  His % of D snaps the last three games last year?  8%, 10%, 18%

I guess we shall see in a few years how good of a pick it is but we are totally in win now mode.

• Upvote 3
  • Thumb Down 1

2 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Nice player, for sure some elite looking pass rushing traits, however.....

I still would have picked WR.

We have pass rushers coming out of our ears and it becomes the law of diminishing returns.

The good news is we have tons of pass rushing dline, the bad news is snap %

Bryce Huff a guy who looks like an elite pass rusher?  His % of D snaps the last three games last year?  8%, 10%, 18%

I guess we shall see in a few years how good of a pick it is but we are totally in win now mode.

WRs are more available in trade than EDGE pass rushers. JD might yet have a move up his sleeve.

4 minutes ago, jgb said:

WRs are more available in trade than EDGE pass rushers. JD might yet have a move up his sleeve.

I hope he does, I happen to think JSN is going to be really good in this league so i wanted him, paired with Wilson we would have been set for years..  Most others are not as high on him though so i understand that.

• Upvote 4
  • Thumb Down 1

2 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

I hope he does, I happen to think JSN is going to be really good in this league so i wanted him, paired with Wilson we would have been set for years..  Most others are not as high on him though so i understand that.

I think Rodgers' infamous hate of rookie WRs may well have drove the decision process there

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, jgb said:

I think Rodgers' infamous hate of rookie WRs may well have drove the decision process there

I honestly think it’s possible they didn’t think he was the best player available. 

There was a lot of talk about the consensus opinion of this WR class being low. He was the first WR taken at 20 overall - compare that to previous drafts 

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1

Just now, slimjasi said:

I honestly think it’s possible they didn’t think he was the best player available. 

There was a lot of talk about the consensus opinion of this WR class being low. He was the first WR taken at 20 overall - compare that to previous drafts 

Yep. I also wanted the WR on draft night but after the McD pick, it's hard to assail the logic.

• Upvote 2
  • WTF? 1

3 hours ago, JetNation said:

.....he reminds me of Robert Mathis, with Dwight Freeney’s spin move.....

Robert Mathis averaged ~9 sacks a year for 13 years.

Dwight Freeney was a double-digit sack guy+ 7 of his first 9 seasons, despite missing quite a few starts.

If McDonald is a combination of those two in any way, we should know it pretty quick come the regular season.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, jgb said:

Is there anyone who would not trade Huff for Evans?

Well, I suspect Huff would easily generate interest if JD were willing to take a 3rd rounder.  Evans seems to be valued at roughly the same level.  Both are on 1-year deals.  So on paper at least, it's a pretty even trade (not withstanding any negotiated contract extensions)

Just now, slimjasi said:

Lol - the thread you cited is from November 4 of last year. So much for “day 1” - And again, i happen to know you are lying about @jgb. He’s been a JJ critic form the actual day 1 :) 

try harder 

Even in this “smoking gun” thread he cited I never attacked him (or even quoted him) and stated that while I don’t think JJ “sucks,” he was overdrafted.