What if....The Jets were able to draft Broderick Jones in the first round this year?

Alka

This is something I have been thinking about for a long time now.  If the Jets were able to draft the offensive tackle Broderick Jones, how would have things turned out differently?

Well, for one, I believe Duane Brown would still be our starting left tackle, but what about Mecki Becton?  Would he have still had the opportunity to step up and be the starting right tackle?  Would he have had the motivation to step up, and would the Jets have given him the chance to do so?  All "what ifs", but the dynamics could have certainly played out differently.

Let's assume that Mecki would have, and with his upside, he would have won the right starting tackle position for this coming year.  And if that were to happen, then Broderick Jones would have been the backup tackle, destined for the bench this year, and a hopeful starter for 2024.

But MacDonald would not be on our team.  MacDonald has the opportunity to be a rotational player this year, and can certainly be a factor in many games this season.  if Jones were the pick, and relegated to the bench, then in a year where the Jets are hopeful to make the playoffs and beyond, then we would be without an important piece to the defense.

Carl Lawson is almost certainly on his last year with the Jets, and many have already speculated that MacDonald could be one of our starting edge rushers for the future. 

While I'm sure that Duane Brown is probably on his last season, "would have Broderick Jones been the guy for starting tackle in the future?  

I think it will be interesting to see how Jones plays this year, as opposed to MacDonald.  Which pick will turn out to be the better value pick?

I wonder if Belicheck still thinks that he got one over on the Jets?  

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Then he'd be a backup like he is on the Steelers? 

Belechick's goal was to screw over the Jets.  He traded the pick to the Steelers for unequal value, which benefitted the Steelers, so they would pick Jones. Maybe if that trade never happened, Broderick Jones would be sitting on the Jets bench this year, and MacDonald would be a starting edge rusher on the Steelers.  Hey, it could have happened.

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 2
  • WTF? 1

A long term starting Tackle is vastly more important than a situational pass rusher unless mcdonald is nick bosa.

Everyone thought Andrew Thomas was a total bust about half way though year one for the Giants.  He was 2nd team all pro last year.

In any case it would have been interesting to see what douglas' decision would have been if he had been there.

If Paris Johnson or skoronski was there i think that would have been the pick, not sure about broderick jones.

• Upvote 5
  • Thumb Down 1
  • More Ugh 1

17 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I may not have known all that much about McDonald entering the draft, but Broderick and the slot receiver weren’t slam dunk picks at all and the hand-wringing over “missing out” on those 2 was kinda pathetic.  

An EDGE guy where we took him was fine, and so far he looks pretty good.  Will make it very easy to part with Carl Lawson after the season.  

ah, words.

JSN was the correct pick, 80

We’ll revisit this again, I’m sure. 😉

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Beerfish said:

A long term starting Tackle is vastly more important than a situational pass rusher unless mcdonald is nick bosa.

Everyone thought Andrew Thomas was a total bust about half way though year one for the Giants.  He was 2nd team all pro last year.

In any case it would have been interesting to see what douglas' decision would have been if he had been there.

If Paris Johnson or skoronski was there i think that would have been the pick, not sure about broderick jones.

It's also about the value delta in a first-round prospect versus say a mid-round or FA pickup at the position. Much less drop in tackle than EDGE rusher.

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, jgb said:

It's also about the value delta in a first-round prospect versus say a mid-round or FA pickup at the position. Much less drop in tackle than EDGE rusher.

Not sure about that in this draft, there were a LOT of speed situational pass rushers in this draft.

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 1
  • More Ugh 1

2 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

My point is that MacDonald doesn't need to be Nick Bosa, he just needs to contribute in a year that the Jets have great aspirations.

Jones would have surely been a backup, and not a contributor.  We will find out during this season if MacDonald helps the Jets win games.

• Upvote 3
  • Thumb Down 1

3 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Not sure about that in this draft, there were a LOT of speed situational pass rushers in this draft.

There were many guys designated as such. Still believe the drop-off in EDGE prospects round-to-round is materially-greater than for tackle.

• Upvote 4

26 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I may not have known all that much about McDonald entering the draft, but Broderick and the slot receiver weren’t slam dunk picks at all

Was McDonald a slam dunk?  Was anyone at that pick a slam dunk?

and the hand-wringing over “missing out” on those 2 was kinda pathetic.

You do your fair share of hand-wringing mate, as do we all, lol. 

We all have our hopes and preferences and ideologies on team building.

An EDGE guy where we took him was fine, and so far he looks pretty good.  Will make it very easy to part with Carl Lawson after the season. 

This is a big year for the Jets.  We'll see soon enough if McDonald will be a meaningful contributor to that, and if other positions are as good or stable as we hope given we didn't go those ways.  That's the best thing about football, they play the games and then we have facts, not just opinions, lol.

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, jgb said:

You could end up being correct but also consider that Rodgers with a rookie slot receiver... yeah, might not deliver immediate value.

This will be an easy comp honestly.

If Geno Smith could use him, I have no doubt Aaron Rodgers could too.

On the other side, if JSN spends all year hurt, there is no reason to think he would be any less fragile here.

So the year-end check on this is twofold:  JSN vs. McDonald, each's impact and quality of play.

And JSN vs, Hardman, similar.

End of the day, though, it's all just academic......what happened happened, we have a big year ahead, and we all should rally around and hope McDonald is the uber-stud of "Bendy" those happy with the pick claim.  That is what's best for us all now.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Warfish said:

This will be an easy comp honestly.

If Geno Smith could use him, I have no doubt Aaron Rodgers could too.

On the other side, if JSN spends all year hurt, there is no reason to think he would be any less fragile here.

So the year-end check on this is twofold:  JSN vs. McDonald, each's impact and quality of play.

And JSN vs, Hardman, similar.

End of the day, though, it's all just academic......what happened happened, we have a big year ahead, and we all should rally around and hope McDonald is the uber-stud of "Bendy" those happy with the pick claim.  That is what's best for us all now.

Well, that's why they play the games. Although, a results-based analysis is fraught with peril.

• Upvote 1

Just now, jgb said:

............a results-based analysis is fraught with peril.

It's the only objective measure.

"He woulda...." is pure subjective speculation, so results-based is what we got, lol.

But yes, even then it comes with a plethora of caveats and the like, no question.

2 minutes ago, Warfish said:

It's the only objective measure.

"He woulda...." is pure subjective speculation, so results-based is what we got, lol.

But yes, even then it comes with a plethora of caveats and the like, no question.

It's objective, sure, but the only legitimate criticism of a decision is was it sound with the information available at the time.

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Not sure I agree with that first sentence.

An elite situational pass rusher with 10+ sacks, 3 FF & an elite pressure rate > an average starting left tackle.

Just like an elite starting left tackle is > than an average pass rusher.

There is a lot of gray in between.  

The other thing to consider is that some of the best pass rushers are not strong against the run, yet play 3 downs to justify the draft selection or contract.  I actually like the Jets strategy to keep our best pass rushers fresh for true pass sets and the all important 3rd down, and playing strong run defenders on running downs.

• Upvote 2

21 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Was McDonald a slam dunk?  Was anyone at that pick a slam dunk?

No but for months after I recall several posters lamenting like we missed out on a sure-fire franchise LT and a game-changer at WR and Douglas made a huge mistake for missing out on both.  Slot guys rarely have ceilings all that high so the JSN-obsessed folks in particular simply didn’t make sense to me.  

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

No but for months after I recall several posters lamenting like we missed out on a sure-fire franchise LT and a game-changer at WR and Douglas made a huge mistake for missing out on both.  Slot guys rarely have ceilings all that high so the JSN-obsessed folks in particular simply didn’t make sense to me.  

You’d think Jets fans would understand how the draft works at this point lol 

• Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I'm sure I was one of them (in re: JSN, whom I still believe is better than every WR on our roster today not named Wilson). 

We'll just have to see, given McDonald is a Jet, I hope he's the clear-cut best edge he can be.  I want to be proven wrong on him, and soon, not years from now.

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, Warfish said:

I'm sure I was one of them (in re: JSN, whom I still believe is better than every WR on our roster today not named Wilson). 

We'll just have to see, given McDonald is a Jet, I hope he's the clear-cut best edge he can be.  I want to be proven wrong on him, and soon, not years from now.

McD has a better chance to deliver immediate value than a rookie slot with Rodgers. Which is why I said the belief we’d land Rodgers may have influenced the decision.

• Upvote 3

40 minutes ago, Alka said:

Belechick's goal was to screw over the Jets.  He traded the pick to the Steelers for unequal value, which benefitted the Steelers, so they would pick Jones. Maybe if that trade never happened, Broderick Jones would be sitting on the Jets bench this year, and MacDonald would be a starting edge rusher on the Steelers.  Hey, it could have happened.

It couldn’t have happened.  The Jets were taking McDonald from the start of the draft.  Their entire room had McDonald as their top pick 

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1

42 minutes ago, Alka said:

That was ferociously debunked my man 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Alka said:

This is something I have been thinking about for a long time now.  If the Jets were able to draft the offensive tackle Broderick Jones, how would have things turned out differently?

Well, for one, I believe Duane Brown would still be our starting left tackle, but what about Mecki Becton?  Would he have still had the opportunity to step up and be the starting right tackle?  Would he have had the motivation to step up, and would the Jets have given him the chance to do so?  All "what ifs", but the dynamics could have certainly played out differently.

Let's assume that Mecki would have, and with his upside, he would have won the right starting tackle position for this coming year.  And if that were to happen, then Broderick Jones would have been the backup tackle, destined for the bench this year, and a hopeful starter for 2024.

But MacDonald would not be on our team.  MacDonald has the opportunity to be a rotational player this year, and can certainly be a factor in many games this season.  if Jones were the pick, and relegated to the bench, then in a year where the Jets are hopeful to make the playoffs and beyond, then we would be without an important piece to the defense.

Carl Lawson is almost certainly on his last year with the Jets, and many have already speculated that MacDonald could be one of our starting edge rushers for the future. 

While I'm sure that Duane Brown is probably on his last season, "would have Broderick Jones been the guy for starting tackle in the future?  

I think it will be interesting to see how Jones plays this year, as opposed to MacDonald.  Which pick will turn out to be the better value pick?

I wonder if Belicheck still thinks that he got one over on the Jets?  

I like topics like this.  I would go as far to say that if Broderick Jones was selected, Mekhi Becton might not have been given a real opportunity to win the starting RT job.  That's not a certainty but a plausible scenario for a team that was clearly frustrated (possibly fed up) with Becton.  Those frustrations might have created an uneven playing field, even led to Becton being traded for pennies on the dollar before the season even started.  There was some smoke on this, and let's not forget how Elijah Moore was banished from the game plan and ultimately the team after last year's antics.

If that scenario had played out, Becton (even if not traded this training camp) would have had no future with the Jets.

I personally believe Becton forced his way into the competition because of the subpar play of Mitchell & Turner.  He also NOW has the opportunity to prove worthy of being here next year ... even reclaiming the Left Tackle spot after Brown presumably retires. 

Conjecture but if true, then Becton might just become the long term option that Jones was meant to be.  Will McDonald could then be considered a huge bonus.   

• Upvote 3

This thread is seriously making me consider laying some down on McD for DROTY at +2200. With Q sucking up two blockers, an elite corner combo creating the opportunity for coverage sacks, and a Jets offense that will keep opposing offenses in passing situations deep into games… it seems like a worthy bet that he could approach double-digit sacks.

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

If James was drafted, he would be riding the pine as hes not starting over brown or becton.  

This!!!  Jones would've been the third tackle who would only see the field if Brown or Becton got hurt.

McDonald will be in every game as a "designated pass rusher" at a minimum

• Upvote 3