Jump to content

I'm sure many of you don't like Bill Simmons


Dcronin

Recommended Posts

But one thing I like about him is he asks more questions than he makes statements, as compared to say a Colin Cowherd. Hear his latest ep with Cousin Sal.

Sure he's a Pats fan, but the reasons he's just not totally buying into the absolutely, ridiculously insane "Super Bowl contender" hype tornado the Jets find themselves in are pretty sound.

1. The Jets very well might not be able to block anyone. We have seen some promising signs from Mekhi Becton, but he, along with the entire O-line, is just a huge ?. Aaron Rodgers under constant pressure = not great.

2. Robert Saleh. I know everyone loves Hard Knocks. I do too. But every time RS speaks, as much as it reaffirms my opinion that he's a good guy, one that guys hopefully like to play for, I'm also struck by how ordinary and meatheadish he is. I just wish he was smarter and more compelling. I see some pretty boiler plate coaching there. He has not convinced me.

3. Paul Hackett - is he legit? Is the Rodgers- Hackett mind meld indeed a real thing? Was his horrible coaching job in Denver relevant or no? Will he be exposed again or will he and Rodgers and the rest of the O be a well-oiled machine with people popping open all over the place thanks to the GW attention? Again, just a big question mark. Breece Hall - a huge, huge looming ?.

I'm excited to compete and get to the playoffs hopefully. That's it. I have no expectations for this team to be hanging in January with Allen, Burrow, Mahomes, Hurts, and whoever else surprises, but I'm here for it! Hype is poison, and almost always misplaced. Eagles had more hype than Chiefs last year. And Andy Reid won the Super Bowl with his D and 48 running backs and WRs moving all over the place. I hope we find our way there, and I also hope our D is as '85 Bears as we all think it is. We're gonna need it.

  • Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 6
  • More Ugh 1
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, slats said:

I don’t think the so-called questions around the OL are any more poignant than the ones facing any other OL in the division. 
 
Hackett tried to make Russell Wilson play like Aaron Rodgers. Now he’ll try to make Rodgers play like Rodgers. Should be easier. 
 
Saleh is the only one I agree with -in that the jury’s still out- but, to his credit, I’m a big fan of the defense and the culture. 

Sounds like a fan of the soon-to-be-last-place-pats to me. 
 

On these first two points:

On these first two points, Russell Wilson has been terrible in camp this preseason and there’s real talk that Stidham is going to be starting out there sooner than later. Hackett did a bad job and was foolish to hand Wilson the keys to the kingdom, but it’s not analogous to what he’s being asked to do here. On the OL issues, the Pats start Trent Brown and Riley Reiff at tackle, and neither has been good for years. Reiff has struggled so much in camp that the Pats might be forced to start Sidy Sow at tackle. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I actually like bill simmons. I find him amusing and think he’s a knowledgeable NBA guy. But he’s a HUGE Boston homer. Grain of salt and all that. 

In this same podcast, he says that either the dolphins or jets will win the division and that it’s a coin flip (he’s picking Miami). He also has the Pats going 10-7 and making the playoffs. He’s kind of all over the place. 

  • Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

59 minutes ago, Dcronin said:

But one thing I like about him is he asks more questions than he makes statements, as compared to say a Colin Cowherd. Hear his latest ep with Cousin Sal.

Sure he's a Pats fan, but the reasons he's just not totally buying into the absolutely, ridiculously insane "Super Bowl contender" hype tornado the Jets find themselves in are pretty sound.

1. The Jets very well might not be able to block anyone. We have seen some promising signs from Mekhi Becton, but he, along with the entire O-line, is just a huge ?. Aaron Rodgers under constant pressure = not great.

2. Robert Saleh. I know everyone loves Hard Knocks. I do too. But every time RS speaks, as much as it reaffirms my opinion that he's a good guy, one that guys hopefully like to play for, I'm also struck by how ordinary and meatheadish he is. I just wish he was smarter and more compelling. I see some pretty boiler plate coaching there. He has not convinced me.

3. Paul Hackett - is he legit? Is the Rodgers- Hackett mind meld indeed a real thing? Was his horrible coaching job in Denver relevant or no? Will he be exposed again or will he and Rodgers and the rest of the O be a well-oiled machine with people popping open all over the place thanks to the GW attention? Again, just a big question mark. Breece Hall - a huge, huge looming ?.

I'm excited to compete and get to the playoffs hopefully. That's it. I have no expectations for this team to be hanging in January with Allen, Burrow, Mahomes, Hurts, and whoever else surprises, but I'm here for it! Hype is poison, and almost always misplaced. Eagles had more hype than Chiefs last year. And Andy Reid won the Super Bowl with his D and 48 running backs and WRs moving all over the place. I hope we find our way there, and I also hope our D is as '85 Bears as we all think it is. We're gonna need it.

First it's Nathaniel Hackett... Simmons is fine but he hates the Jets...

The OLine is fine, they are a top tier running OLine. Top 5... Strength of the offense 2 top tier RBs... 

Once they keep running they won't get to pass rush because they are too busy defending the run.... Its not the problem that people make it out to be plus they were the 3rd most injured Offense in the last 40 years... True stats... Plus the chances are the jets don't lose 7 Tackles and Rodgers is a better commander of the offense taking less time per throw and sliding protection. I think it's a lame excuse to why people think they will be bad but to each their own. 

Saleh studies the navy seals and how they lead... His leadership is reflective of that... And his team follows like navy seals... People call him a cheerleader but they have no clue how to lead a bunch of highly paid athletes... 

Rodgers had back to back MVP seasons with this questionable Nathaniel Hackett but somehow he doesn't get credit for that? 

I feel that all these question marks are made up in the media to try and tamper the hype of Jets because everyone loves to route against them. 

  • Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Honestly there are some concerns - but these three points are absolute nonsense...

 

1) You can make an argument the Jets depth at OL is worrisome and there are real injury concerns, but right now the starting five are more than capable.  

2) Saleh actually seems to be a pretty bright guy.  I'm no fan of dumb slogans and silly analogy's but it's his thing so it's fine, but I don't get meathead at all from him.  He seems to actually be a thoughtful game planner.

3) This one is reasonable - but frankly I would trust Rodgers to run an offense far more than most OC's in the league.  The more you hear him talk the more you realize how much he actually knows about the game.  Even If the guy called the plays from huddle (which, of course, won't happen) I'm sure they would just fine.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, Reasonable Jets Fan said:

First it's Nathaniel Hackett... Simmons is fine but he hates the Jets...

The OLine is fine, they are a top tier running OLine. Top 5... Strength of the offense 2 top tier RBs... 

Once they keep running they won't get to pass rush because they are too busy defending the run.... Its not the problem that people make it out to be plus they were the 3rd most injured Offense in the last 40 years... True stats... Plus the chances are the jets don't lose 7 Tackles and Rodgers is a better commander of the offense taking less time per throw and sliding protection. I think it's a lame excuse to why people think they will be bad but to each their own. 

Saleh studies the navy seals and how they lead... His leadership is reflective of that... And his team follows like navy seals... People call him a cheerleader but they have no clue how to lead a bunch of highly paid athletes... 

Rodgers had back to back MVP seasons with this questionable Nathaniel Hackett but somehow he doesn't get credit for that? 

I feel that all these question marks are made up in the media to try and tamper the hype of Jets because everyone loves to route against them. 

 

15 hours ago, MykePM said:

Maybe Simmons should actually watch some of Saleh's press conferences before commenting on him instead of just forming opinions based on the entertainment-focused reality show Saleh is currently appearing in.  I think Saleh actually gives very well-reasoned answers to reporters' questions, and has to do so immediately while on the spot.  I guess he prefers the curt, arrogant responses given by the HC of the GFY that he roots for.

Keep my coaches' names out of your mouth, Chowd!

 

15 hours ago, NIGHT STALKER said:

What does Bill Simmons find that is positive about the NYJ...I'll wait.  No, I won't wait because I'll miss this special football season waiting for this moron to say anything positive...F him!

I am SHOCKED that a member of the New England patriots ESPN good ole boys club thinks the Jets are going to be bad this year

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don’t have an issue with Simmons overall.  That said, his meathead comment, if he actually said that, is ignorant and no different than the hot takeism of current sports talk.  If he’s drawing conclusions of Saleh’s overall intelligence from hard knocks clips, then  that itself is dumb.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, Dcronin said:

But one thing I like about him is he asks more questions than he makes statements, as compared to say a Colin Cowherd. Hear his latest ep with Cousin Sal.

Sure he's a Pats fan, but the reasons he's just not totally buying into the absolutely, ridiculously insane "Super Bowl contender" hype tornado the Jets find themselves in are pretty sound.

1. The Jets very well might not be able to block anyone. We have seen some promising signs from Mekhi Becton, but he, along with the entire O-line, is just a huge ?. Aaron Rodgers under constant pressure = not great.

2. Robert Saleh. I know everyone loves Hard Knocks. I do too. But every time RS speaks, as much as it reaffirms my opinion that he's a good guy, one that guys hopefully like to play for, I'm also struck by how ordinary and meatheadish he is. I just wish he was smarter and more compelling. I see some pretty boiler plate coaching there. He has not convinced me.

3. Paul Hackett - is he legit? Is the Rodgers- Hackett mind meld indeed a real thing? Was his horrible coaching job in Denver relevant or no? Will he be exposed again or will he and Rodgers and the rest of the O be a well-oiled machine with people popping open all over the place thanks to the GW attention? Again, just a big question mark. Breece Hall - a huge, huge looming ?.

I'm excited to compete and get to the playoffs hopefully. That's it. I have no expectations for this team to be hanging in January with Allen, Burrow, Mahomes, Hurts, and whoever else surprises, but I'm here for it! Hype is poison, and almost always misplaced. Eagles had more hype than Chiefs last year. And Andy Reid won the Super Bowl with his D and 48 running backs and WRs moving all over the place. I hope we find our way there, and I also hope our D is as '85 Bears as we all think it is. We're gonna need it.

Lol did you really write Paul Hackett?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

While we’re on the topic of self-reinforcing media narratives, here it is in stark relief, as played out by ESPN’s horrific NFL staff: take something that’s already objectively great, claim you were among the first to say it would be great, then point to another great thing and congratulate each other on an astroturfed ability to identify and predict greatness. 
 


IMG_4305.jpeg

IMG_4306.jpeg

  • Upvote 2
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, slats said:

I don’t think the so-called questions around the OL are any more poignant than the ones facing any other OL in the division. 
 
Hackett tried to make Russell Wilson play like Aaron Rodgers. Now he’ll try to make Rodgers play like Rodgers. Should be easier. 
 
Saleh is the only one I agree with -in that the jury’s still out- but, to his credit, I’m a big fan of the defense and the culture. 

Sounds like a fan of the soon-to-be-last-place-pats to me. 

I especially agree with your Hackett take. Denver hired Hackett much like we did, with hopes of luring Rodgers to follow. When that didn’t happen they mortgaged the farm to bring Russell Wilson and at a late date tried to shoe horn him into an offense that didn’t fit him. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...