DJ Reed: D Has Chance to be Comparable To the Legion of Boom or '85 Bears

85 Bears were up there with The Steel Curtain (cant recall the dominant year) which were the best I've ever seen.  We'll be very good but this talk is way way to far fetched.  Thing is, if our offense clicks on all cylinders, they don't have to be the 'best' ever or even the 'best' D in the NFL this year.  They'll be good enough since the offense will definitely help out the defense with time of possession, points, getting out in front which forces opposing teams to throw.  It's a balanced attack offensively and defensively.  In fact, what team can really boast that? The Eagles, Bengals, Bills and 49ers . Other than that, I believe we are right there among the elite.

• Upvote 2

21 minutes ago, Barton said:

I swear if this team shows up week 1 and gets their butt whooped…..

I mean, let's be real. This team already has ridiculously inflated expectations by fans. Now, apparently, also has ridiculously inflated assessments/predictions from players. They are playing one of the best (PROVEN) teams in the league and a division rival. Getting their butts whooped is a huge possibility, if not likely. 

Also how awesome our D is will be determined by whether teams play into our hands or are smart.

If they are stubborn and just go with their offensive system and have to face our pass rush and eltie CB play we will kill them.

If they are smart and attack our LBs, safeties and run defense we will have a much bigger issue. 

If I was game planning for the Jets as an OC I'd have the balls to give up some control and essentially go hurry up most of the game.  Jets have 10 pass rushers and love to rotate them?  F'ck that, we will keep them o the sideline most of the game and make them take timeouts and substitution penalties.

• Upvote 3

20 minutes ago, Trotter said:

As many have stated confidence sure but just please keep it in the locker room.

bad juju - but could be worse imagine if rexx was coaching

What do you think they say to each other during the game? 

“I expect todays contest will be a suitable way to determine whether or not our team is in fact the superior team” ?

the talking heads will pretend this means something and then move on to the next story. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

31 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

The thing that is stopping them from being an elite D is turnover creation.  

2022 29th in turnovers created, 20th in interceptions

2021 31st in turnovers created, 31st in interceptions

Despite everyone putting ALL the blame on the QBing last year when the team fell off the cliff the jets created ONE turnover in their last 6 game slide.

I would add too many drive-extending penalties was a major negative, one they really need to clean up to become truly elite. 

• Upvote 2

32 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Despite everyone putting ALL the blame on the QBing last year when the team fell off the cliff the jets created ONE turnover in their last 6 game slide.

Yea the offense not doing it's part also impacts this.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Barton said:

I swear if this team shows up week 1 and gets their butt whooped…..

1 hour ago, UntouchableCrew said:

Putting a lot of pressure on themselves. I like the confidence, but putting a bullseye on themselves for sure.

1 hour ago, Drums said:

I love Reed but talk is cheap 

I feel like we're being set up.  It's a trap.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

50 minutes ago, MichaelScott said:

I mean, let's be real. This team already has ridiculously inflated expectations by fans. Now, apparently, also has ridiculously inflated assessments/predictions from players. They are playing one of the best (PROVEN) teams in the league and a division rival. Getting their butts whooped is a huge possibility, if not likely. 

It would be perfectly in line with what we've seen from this franchise over the years.  We are the kings of talk.

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Yea the offense not doing it's part also impacts this.

No it doesn't at all.   If you are eltie you stop the other team and take the ball away that is what elite defenses do.

Teams like the famous Bears and Ravens had legends like McMahon and Dilfer as QBs.

If a D is average or pretty good you can blame the offense for not helping enough.   If you are as good as we think we are then you dictate and make things easy for the offense.

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Opposing offenses didn’t take too many chances against the defense down the stretch, though, either. There was no need to. I’d like to see takeaways being a bigger priority this year, they should get a lot more opportunities and need to take advantage. 

• Upvote 2

38 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

No it doesn't at all.   If you are eltie you stop the other team and take the ball away that is what elite defenses do.

Teams like the famous Bears and Ravens had legends like McMahon and Dilfer as QBs.

If a D is average or pretty good you can blame the offense for not helping enough.   If you are as good as we think we are then you dictate and make things easy for the offense.

When the offense poses no threat the opposing team doesn't ever need to press or take chances. Last year they could just sit back and play it safe. 

When the offense scores more, opponents have to press more and take more chances. Those scenarios have a higher chance of turning into turnovers especially as you get closer to the end of the game.

I don't get why you refuse to acknowledge these obvious truths.

top 10 scoring offenses in 22

• chiefs
  • eagles
  • cowboys
  • bills
  • lions
  • niners 
  • vikings
  • bengals
  • seahawks
  • jags

top 10 turnovers forced in 22

• cowboys
  • patriots
  • niners
  • bills
  • texans
  • jaguars
  • eagles
  • ravens
  • vikings
  • seahawks

7 of the 10 top scoring offenses were also in the top 10 turnovers forced. 

bottom 10 points scored in 22

• bears
  • commanders
  • bucs
  • steelers
  • rams
  • titans
  • jets
  • colts
  • texans
  • broncos

1 of the bottom 10 scoring offenses were also in the top 10 turnovers forced.

Part of that is obviously because turnovers can turn into points. Part of it is because opponents need to try to score more points against teams that put up points.

• Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 2

I'd settle for early 2000's era Ravens. Like others have said, the rules of changed a lot, so the big lumber can't be meted out the way it used to be. (Kudos to the poster who was remarking on the old video tapes and the way they used to abuse QB's, with the referees' blessings.) 

For the better, IMHO - I hate to see guys get really hurt. So, the expectation (on my/the fans' part) is that it won't be as physical - but it can still be the best or near it: some defense will be the best in the league, why not this one?