Sacks and Turnovers

We have an exciting D line with a lot of different skills.   These guys will rotate and play based on their effectiveness and impact.   In combination with our secondary there should be a lot of sacks and interceptions.

How many sacks do the Jets get this season?

Who leads the team with sacks and how many?

How many interceptions do the Jets get?

Who leads the team in INTs and how many?

I have no idea on the totals but I'll be surprised if Q doesn't lead the team in sacks again.  He looks poised to beat his total from last year as well, so maybe something in the 15 range?  Doesn't seem too farfetched either, especially if our DE's are more of a problem for teams to deal with this year.

As far as INTs, I would like to see Sauce take a step there but if not, I really won't mind too much as long as he still does his thing.  Don't want him changing things too much, tbh.  "Don't mess with what works" type thing.  I can see Tony Adams racking up INTs though.  If I had to pick a team leader in that category, I think it would either be him or Reed.  I think Reed will get challenged a lot this year as teams start to respect Sauce more.  

I am pretty confident though that if Sauce does start coming away with more INTs, teams might stop throwing his way altogether.  

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, bonkertons said:

I have no idea on the totals but I'll be surprised if Q doesn't lead the team in sacks again.  He looks poised to beat his total from last year as well, so maybe something in the 15 range?  Doesn't seem too farfetched either, especially if our DE's are more of a problem for teams to deal with this year.

As far as INTs, I would like to see Sauce take a step there but if not, I really won't mind too much as long as he still does his thing.  Don't want him changing things too much, tbh.  "Don't mess with what works" type thing.  I can see Tony Adams racking up INTs though.  If I had to pick a team leader in that category, I think it would either be him or Reed.  I think Reed will get challenged a lot this year as teams start to respect Sauce more.  

I am pretty confident though that if Sauce does start coming away with more INTs, teams might stop throwing his way altogether.  

I don't expect man corners to get too many INTs.  I would hope they come from the safeties.  Adams can run, so he might be able to suck up some and some tipped balls.  Whitehead is kinda half LB and I might expect as many out of LBs as him.  I think Surratt will get some if he plays much.

1 minute ago, #27TheDominator said:

I don't expect man corners to get too many INTs.  I would hope they come from the safeties.  Adams can run, so he might be able to suck up some and some tipped balls.  Whitehead is kinda half LB and I might expect as many out of LBs as him.  I think Surratt will get some if he plays much.

Excuse Me What GIF by CBS

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, Joe W. Namath said:

We have had a real hard time jumping on the football when it hits the grass.  That needs to improve this year.  Cant stand seeing multiple jets around the football but somehow the only opposing teams player in the area recovers the ball.

Do they not land on it, or does it get stripped away.  I doubt it amounts to anything during the course of the season, but the Jets are now mostly a small fast team.  Teams with 225 lb LBs are less likely to wrestle ball away.

1 hour ago, bonkertons said:

Agree on Q leading in sacks, probably in the 12-14 range.

I also think Sauce will get a few INTs, but agree teams will just start avoiding him all together.

21 hours ago, NIGHT STALKER said:

I don't really care about the sack  totals as long as we are pressuring the QB...we need turnovers in a big way if we want to win these games...last year they were non existent.  

Sacks, pressures, and turnovers all go hand in hand.

Id bet we see a big uptick this year.

30 minutes ago, rangerous said:

The thing is turnovers can be a two edged sword.  Sure it’s great if they have a net positive total. But if their record is based on turnovers and not good play then they could have trouble against solid teams.

Most turnovers are "luck", the only one that a defense can cause are strip sacks and even then

there's no way you can ensure a recovery.  Give me 50+ sacks and the best 3rd down % and I'll be happy

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, KRL said:

Most turnovers are "luck", the only one that a defense can cause are strip sacks and even then

there's no way you can ensure a recovery.  Give me 50+ sacks and the best 3rd down % and I'll be happy

Yep, that’s my point.  Teams can have great records if they get a bunch of turnovers but that may mean they’re more lucky than good. I think the only turnover that really requires skill is ints and many of those are caused by good qb pressure.

How many sacks each player gets will be limited by playing time. I think if Huff saw the field more, he could have double-digit sacks.  If JJ sees the field more than he did last year, his number of sacks will go up accordingly.  I think if McDonald sees enough playing time, he could hit double-digit sacks as well, but probably won't see enough playing time to reach that number.

I think we could get between 50-60 sacks.  If so, my guestimations are as follows: I think JJ will lead the team in sacks (around 15 or so) and Q will be 2nd (around 12) with probably JFM 3rd with 10, and Lawson, McDonald, and Huff getting 5-8 each,, and Clemons and Jefferson getting 3-5.  I'd love to see more blitzes called this year and the LBs/DBs getting some as well.

Sacks are great, especially strip sacks, but the main thing however, is getting pressure and forcing incompletions, hitting the QB and making him  gun shy, and getting 3 and outs.  Getting more interceptions would help greatly too.  I don't know how many interceptions we got last year, but I have to think it's less than 10.  If we could get 10-15 interceptions and 7-8 fumble recoveries in the regular season and produce those 3 and outs, we should be the Division Champs.

• Upvote 1