Jump to content

Former NFL/Tampa WR Mike Williams Gravely Injured


Warfish

Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, jetspenguin said:

image.png.048d964dd6c128f88a69eda532239767.png

Oh sh*t, I had no idea he made that much money. I remember him having an excellent rookie year and then really falling off. 
 

But let’s say even if he didn’t blow through the money, what is a 27 year old supposed to do for the rest of his life? I’d probably want some semblance of a job just for life structure. Retirement that young is weird.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, PS17 said:

Oh sh*t, I had no idea he made that much money. I remember him having an excellent rookie year and then really falling off. 
 

But let’s say even if he didn’t blow through the money, what is a 27 year old supposed to do for the rest of his life? I’d probably want some semblance of a job just for life structure. Retirement that young is weird.

I'd  OWN the construction company. I wouldnt be on site doing any actual manual labor.

  • Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, PS17 said:

Oh sh*t, I had no idea he made that much money. I remember him having an excellent rookie year and then really falling off. 
 

But let’s say even if he didn’t blow through the money, what is a 27 year old supposed to do for the rest of his life? I’d probably want some semblance of a job just for life structure. Retirement that young is weird.

He didn't. He made millions, but nowhere near $40MM. Career total was about $12MM (a hair under it). From there he had agent fees & taxes taken out (though less so than most places, with his home games being in FL). So something like $7MM, and by talent he should've made more; he didn't suddenly become untalented at age 26-27. 

It would seem he went through it (or most of it) and working construction wasn't just to keep busy.

Such a shame/tragedy all around. He should've had another 50 years ahead of him, with financial security throughout. 

  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, jetspenguin said:

This is sad...and why in the world was he working at a construction site? these young players are counseled on not blowing the money they get early on and still do it. This accident didnt need to happen

He      was    at      work      and     got     fatally     injured.

(and you want to call him out about his finances)

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, jetspenguin said:

This is sad...and why in the world was he working at a construction site? these young players are counseled on not blowing the money they get early on and still do it. This accident didnt need to happen

Would it be more or less sad if it happened to some other person working that job who wasn't a former athlete?

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

59 minutes ago, rex-n-effect said:

Would it be more or less sad if it happened to some other person working that job who wasn't a former athlete?

More or less sad isn't the point. My point is that he never needed to be on a construction site working to earn a living if he managed his money better. Someone else's circumstance is irelevant. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

He didn't. He made millions, but nowhere near $40MM. Career total was about $12MM (a hair under it). From there he had agent fees & taxes taken out (though less so than most places, with his home games being in FL). So something like $7MM, and by talent he should've made more; he didn't suddenly become untalented at age 26-27. 

It would seem he went through it (or most of it) and working construction wasn't just to keep busy.

Such a shame/tragedy all around. He should've had another 50 years ahead of him, with financial security throughout. 

probably had some endorsement money along the way also..  probably at least 1mm over those years.

those early year salaries aren't that high, my guess is these guys aren't saving much of that money.

what probably happened is that he got 5MM or so in $$ that first year of new contract - and $1mm the following year post tax.  that's gonna run out really quickly spending $1MM a year during his 2 years of playing and then $500k after retirement.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

What a strange ******* thread.  This is almost as bad as whining about the merits of saying rest in peace in the Jimmy Buffet thread.  WTF?  The guy died and he died way too young.  RIP.  What is it to any of you how much money he could or should have had?  Haven't any of you ever been somewhere or done something you did not need to?  If you died there is it any less a tragedy?  It is sad when any person dies, let alone that young.  Right now people are mourning several young people lost over the weekend in Shaolin.  I'm kind of glad it wasn't posted here, because hearing schmucks argue over how/what they were driving would have driven me insane.  

REST IN PEACE, MIKE WILLIAMS.  Gone too soon.

  • Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

When I read this it gave me pause. Just in the last week the Jets ended the careers/dreams of many young men who didn't make the 53. Same with every other franchize. These men, for the first time in their short lives, must turn to something, anything really, to make a living. Anything except for playing professional football in the NFL, the only thing they've spent their lives preparing for.

We joke during the pre-season games that 'Zach looked OK against a bunch of scrubs that'll be bagging groceries soon (or driving an excavator on a construction site)'. The sad news about Mike Williams kind of enforces this concept....Please have sympathy for the many who don't make it.

  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, FootballLove said:

When I read this it gave me pause. Just in the last week the Jets ended the careers/dreams of many young men who didn't make the 53. Same with every other franchize. These men, for the first time in their short lives, must turn to something, anything really, to make a living. Anything except for playing professional football in the NFL, the only thing they've spent their lives preparing for.

We joke during the pre-season games that 'Zach looked OK against a bunch of scrubs that'll be bagging groceries soon (or driving an excavator on a construction site)'. The sad news about Mike Williams kind of enforces this concept....Please have sympathy for the many who don't make it.

Kevin Fitzhugh turned down a return to the Jets to continue his job as a railroad conductor.  He was one of the final cuts and when Ihedigbo and Leonhard both went down in December of 2010, they offered to have him come back and he refused saying he would rather continue with something stable.  They ended up signing Emmanuel Cook who actually played in all 3 playoff games.  Did Fitzhugh make the right choice?  Who knows, but I hope he is happy and satisfied with it. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, PS17 said:

Oh sh*t, I had no idea he made that much money. I remember him having an excellent rookie year and then really falling off. 
 

But let’s say even if he didn’t blow through the money, what is a 27 year old supposed to do for the rest of his life? I’d probably want some semblance of a job just for life structure. Retirement that young is weird.

Exactly. Not everyone wants to rot by the poolside for fifty years.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, jetspenguin said:

I'd  OWN the construction company. I wouldnt be on site doing any actual manual labor.

lol didnt think this would be a controversial take. If you come into a lump sum of money at an early age you should invest wisely and the NFL provides couseling to this effect. I dont get the people who find this fact controversial. He should not have been in that position and the fact that he was is sad. 

  • More Ugh 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...