The Jets win game #1 against the Bills, 34-17. If not now, then when?

Alka

Everything seems fine and dandy on paper until we start dropping balls, OL struggles to gel, DL pressure mysteriously disappears, penalties ruin drives and Josh Allen starts playing backyard football.

I will warn everyone here not to get complacent.  It's fine to predict a win but the argument of "on paper Jets > on paper Bills" is ignorant.  That being said, hope our D is able to stress Allen similar to last year and our OL is able to wear down their DL.

3 hours ago, Darnold's Forehead said:

Everything seems fine and dandy on paper until we start dropping balls, OL struggles to gel, DL pressure mysteriously disappears, penalties ruin drives and Josh Allen starts playing backyard football.

I will warn everyone here not to get complacent.  It's fine to predict a win but the argument of "on paper Jets > on paper Bills" is ignorant.  That being said, hope our D is able to stress Allen similar to last year and our OL is able to wear down their DL.

We kicked their ass in the off-season.   They know it, we know it.   You think it’s been all kumbaya this off-season?   You think they were just going to Broadway shows and Knick games?   You think the coaching staff was just telling stories about crows all training camp?

Didn’t you watch hard knocks?  They spent at least 2 episode practicing catching the ball and pushing sleds.  There were at least an hours on hand signals.  They had the rookies embarrass  themselves as part of the team building.  They cut players who didn’t have the right stuff.  

This team is primed and ready.   Let the ass whopping commence.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Biggs said:

We kicked their ass in the off-season.   They know it, we know it.   You think it’s been all kumbaya this off-season?   You think they were just going to Broadway shows and Knick games?   You think the coaching staff was just telling stories about crows all training camp?

Didn’t you watch hard knocks?  They spent at least 2 episode practicing catching the ball and pushing sleds.  There were at least an hours on hand signals.  They had the rookies embarrass  themselves as part of the team building.  They cut players who didn’t have the right stuff.  

This team is primed and ready.   Let the ass whopping commence.

Lol and what do they do every offseason?

6 hours ago, Darnold's Forehead said:

I too hope our the Jets do the things they need to do to win Monday  night. 

• Haha 1

This first game scares me a little bit.  I think the team will definitely make the playoffs and have the potential to win the AFC east.  That being said, I feel like this game could be an error ridden game from our offense.  Im not worried about game 2 because Rodgers has already shown that he won't accept mediocracy.  sh*t will get fixed the short week of practice after the 1st game.

This will be a close, hard fought game. And my guess is that it will be sloppy on offense. That probably favors the Bills with Allen. 
Im still guessing the Jets pull this one out. But it won’t be easy and they will have to capitalize on some key scoring drives. 

I think this will be a defensive game. Lots of FGs.

9-10 Bill lead at the half

Jets defense clamps down and the offense breaks through with a TD in the second. 

Final score: 22-20 Jets eek out a close one. Greg the leg player of the game with 5 FGs. Rodgers with the lone TD to Conklin in the red zone. 

22 minutes ago, PepPep said:

This will be a close, hard fought game. And my guess is that it will be sloppy on offense. That probably favors the Bills with Allen. 
Im still guessing the Jets pull this one out. But it won’t be easy and they will have to capitalize on some key scoring drives. 

I think this will be a defensive game. Lots of FGs.

9-10 Bill lead at the half

Jets defense clamps down and the offense breaks through with a TD in the second. 

Final score: 22-20 Jets eek out a close one. Greg the leg player of the game with 5 FGs. Rodgers with the lone TD to Conklin in the red zone. 

Kicking 5 fgs?????????????  Less than 0 my friend.  We have Aaron Rodgers, Garrett Wilson, Breece Hall etc.  We are scoring tds this year!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Yes, this is the best Jets team since 1998.  This game has blowout written all over it.  Jets 31-Bills 13.  The Jets being better on paper isnt ignorant, its facts.  All we have is paper right now.

And by 11:00pm on Monday night, it will be apparent on the field too.

I hate to burst your bubble but the Bills are probably just as good on paper as we are. Yes, paper is all we have right now until the season starts and maybe the Jets get and edge because the Bills are coming in a bit more banged up, but this is a close matchup and the Bills have a dynamic QB who can bail them out once things break down.  

Point is, no matter how much I will root for one, this will be far from a blowout.  

Just now, Joe W. Namath said:

Kicking 5 fgs?????????????  Less than 0 my friend.  We have Aaron Rodgers, Garrett Wilson, Breece Hall etc.  We are scoring tds this year!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I just think the Bills have a very good defense and this will be a sloppy start leading to a defensive game. Sure, we will score TDs this year. But we wont be the 1999 Rams in week one. Especially not against a great defense like the Bills. It will take time for the O-line to gel. 

Ok maybe my 5 FG prediction is a bit off. lol. But this certainly won't be a blowout or shootout. And We will rely heavily on our kicker with Rodgers manufacturing FG scoring drives, Breece (and probably Cook) getting limited snaps, and we will see some sloppy play- penalties, miscommunication, drops, etc. 

3 minutes ago, PepPep said:

I just think the Bills have a very good defense and this will be a sloppy start leading to a defensive game. Sure, we will score TDs this year. But we wont be the 1999 Rams in week one. Especially not against a great defense like the Bills. It will take time for the O-line to gel. 

Ok maybe my 5 FG prediction is a bit off. lol. But this certainly won't be a blowout or shootout. And We will rely heavily on our kicker with Rodgers manufacturing FG scoring drives, Breece (and probably Cook) getting limited snaps, and we will see some sloppy play- penalties, miscommunication, drops, etc. 

The oline needs to gel?  Its the same oline as last year except for Becton.

Breece will not be getting limited snaps.  He is healthy and the starting rb.

The Bills defense is far from great and prob missing 2 of their best players in Von Miller and Micah Hyde.

We are going to beat their ass Monday night.  Let the fear go jet fans!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

24 minutes ago, PepPep said:

I hate to burst your bubble but the Bills are probably just as good on paper as we are. Yes, paper is all we have right now until the season starts and maybe the Jets get and edge because the Bills are coming in a bit more banged up, but this is a close matchup and the Bills have a dynamic QB who can bail them out once things break down.  

Point is, no matter how much I will root for one, this will be far from a blowout.  

I hear you yet when I look at it on paper, I don't see it.  My take is roughly this:

• QB - BUF edge because Allen is so dangerous on the run and has been surprisingly consistent the past 3 seasons.  Fair to question if Rodgers' passing continues to regress or bounces back.  
  • WR/TE - push.  I think Wilson is right there with Diggs and no other WR or TE on either team is a difference-maker.  
  • OLine - slight edge Jets.  Yes, our line is suspect but so is BUF's and I do believe ours has more upside when healthy.  We each have a Connor McGovern so that cancels out, but the rest is slightly in our favor.
  • RB - Jets - no question.  Closer this week because of recover/rust, but over the season.  If you count Allen as a runner, it's closer, but that's an interesting debate in itself.
  • Defense - Jets.  Especially this week without Miller.  They have no position I like better than our equivalent except maybe Milano.
  • Special Teams - for once, I like all our guys.  Certainly no advantage to BUF and I'd tip the arrow our way again.
  • Coaching?  Bills probably but with Daboll gone, not such a big difference IMO.  

I fully acknowledge probably homer lenses on this, but other than Allen and Diggs, and a good DL (but not better than ours), I just don't see it.

I consider the 2.5 points going our way, at home no less, a gift from Vegas.

QB - Advantage Jets - Allen is not better then Rodgers.  Sorry.

RB - Huge Advantage Jets - Dont need to even explain this one

WR - Even

TE - Advantage Jets - Conklin is better then any te they have.  Like our depth better as well.

Oline - Even - I think the Jets have the higher ceiling but have to prove it

Dline - Huge Advantage Jets - We have 8 pass rushers.  They dont.

LBs - Advantage Jets - We have an all pro lb, they dont.

Secondary - Advantage Jets - Sauce, Reed etc.  I do not have to say much more.

Specials - Even- not spending the time researching but dont see a major advantage either way

Coaching - Advantage Jets - Mcdermott is burnt out and it showed last year.  No more daboll or fraiser for the bills.  Jets coaching staff is young, hungry and ready to go.

12 hours ago, Alka said:

When I think about this upcoming season, the last time I felt this way was when Bill Parcells coached the Jets all the way to the AFC Championship game, where they took a 10-0 lead against the Denver Broncos.

The Jets have the talent, the Quarterback, the running backs, decent offensive line if they stay healthy, great defensive line and very good overall defense.  And right now, they are as healthy as you could possibly hope for.  That of course could change at any moment, but you can say that for any other team in the NFL as well.

But they have something that I have not felt since that season with Parcels, which was tremendous positive energy.  Each player seems to really believe in each other, and in the coaching, and their outlook.  I honestly think that right now, they believe they should win every single game.

Playing the Buffalo Bills at home, on Monday Night Football, I think it's time that we as fans believe as well, with Aaron Rodgers leading the charge.

The Jets gave up approximately 320 yards against the Bills last season, through 2 games combined.  The Jets defense is at least as good as last season, and the offense is decisively better.  

Yes, the Jets are underdogs this game, but that is only because the Jets need to finally prove that they can break the string of a decade plus of continuous losing.  Until they prove otherwise, they should continue to be underdogs against a highly thought of opponent. 

It's time for the worm to turn, and that time is now.

Good points.  The jets have got some good on field leadership with Rodgers.  I don’t think he’s going to let them give up or tolerate too many miscues.  But I do see the jets coming out overly hyped and that could lead to Buffalo scores until they settle.  If the jets play as well as they are capable, they win.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Joe W. Namath said:

The oline needs to gel?  Its the same oline as last year except for Becton.

Breece will not be getting limited snaps.  He is healthy and the starting rb.

The Bills defense is far from great and prob missing 2 of their best players in Von Miller and Micah Hyde.

We are going to beat their ass Monday night.  Let the fear go jet fans!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think the o-line needs to gel because Becton hasn't played all of last year and Brown hasn't practiced or played in preseason. , AVT has had limited reps as he is eased back from injury. Guys have not played together in preseason and have not practiced together as a complete unit with defined roles. So yeah, I think they will need to gel. 

The Bills best player is easily Josh Allen. If you thin otherwise, you are in la la land. Von Miller being out def. hurts them but they have plenty of D-linemen who will put pressure on Rodgers, including Floyd coming off the edge. Hyde practiced yesterday and my guess is he will play.

This is what Saleh said about Breece for Monday night.  "I don't know if I want to call it a snap count, but we are gonna be smart with them," Saleh said. "We'll continue to evaluate and build up what we think Monday needs to be, but it's not that we're putting a snap count on it."

You can view that however you want, but I view it as a snap count depending on the situation. They will definitely be careful with Hall and they won't be giving him a ton of carries, even if he is looking good. Score, the passing attack and general pace of the game will dictate a lot of it. But Breece certainly won't be running wild in week one unless he is able to break a bunch of runs on his own. 

10 minutes ago, PepPep said:

I think the o-line needs to gel because Becton hasn't played all of last year and Brown hasn't practiced or played in preseason. , AVT has had limited reps as he is eased back from injury. Guys have not played together in preseason and have not practiced together as a complete unit with defined roles. So yeah, I think they will need to gel. 

The Bills best player is easily Josh Allen. If you thin otherwise, you are in la la land. Von Miller being out def. hurts them but they have plenty of D-linemen who will put pressure on Rodgers, including Floyd coming off the edge. Hyde practiced yesterday and my guess is he will play.

This is what Saleh said about Breece for Monday night.  "I don't know if I want to call it a snap count, but we are gonna be smart with them," Saleh said. "We'll continue to evaluate and build up what we think Monday needs to be, but it's not that we're putting a snap count on it."

You can view that however you want, but I view it as a snap count depending on the situation. They will definitely be careful with Hall and they won't be giving him a ton of carries, even if he is looking good. Score, the passing attack and general pace of the game will dictate a lot of it. But Breece certainly won't be running wild in week one unless he is able to break a bunch of runs on his own. 

These are good football players you are talking about.  Brown is a borderline HOF, AVT and Becton have HOF potential. 

With Rodgers quick release and the talent of the guys on our oline, I just do not see gelling being a problem. 

1 hour ago, Joe W. Namath said:

QB - Advantage Jets - Allen is not better then Rodgers.  Sorry.

RB - Huge Advantage Jets - Dont need to even explain this one

WR - Even

TE - Advantage Jets - Conklin is better then any te they have.  Like our depth better as well.

Oline - Even - I think the Jets have the higher ceiling but have to prove it

Dline - Huge Advantage Jets - We have 8 pass rushers.  They dont.

LBs - Advantage Jets - We have an all pro lb, they dont.

Secondary - Advantage Jets - Sauce, Reed etc.  I do not have to say much more.

Specials - Even- not spending the time researching but dont see a major advantage either way

Coaching - Advantage Jets - Mcdermott is burnt out and it showed last year.  No more daboll or fraiser for the bills.  Jets coaching staff is young, hungry and ready to go.

I like their TE's better than ours and their LB's.  I think their HC is over rated but still much better than BS.  Still think we win easily. 

Jets must avoid offensive penalties which just kill drives. Same as well for defense which extend drives. Under Saleh they seem to have a lot of penalties at critical times.

Also given the pass rush the need to squeeze Josh Allen and not let him run on us. He kills us when he runs out of the pocket.

7 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

If week 18 was Jets vs Bills winner in/loser out, you would take Allen?  You'd be a fool.

did you not happen to see last year's Week 18 Green Bay hosting Detroit? 

it was like America's Game of the Week or something

the Lions had nothing to play for the Packers had to win to get to the playoffs

Rodgers has been coming up small in big spots for years now 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gglsiPZeCnQ&ab_channel=NFL

• Thumb Down 1

12 hours ago, Darnold's Forehead said:

How would fan complacency play any role in the outcome of the game?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, PepPep said:

The oline is still a big question mark, at least from a fans perspective.  They’ve practiced as a unit for at least two weeks and except for becton were in the same positions to start last season.  Assuming the blocking assignments are the same as when milfy was coach I think they’ve be okay. Becton? He’s had more real work than any other lineman this pre season so I think he’ll be ready.  It’s a contract year for him and he’s going to be pretty difficult to handle in the run game. I totally get keeping breece on limited playing time. It’s a long season and he figures to be a huge part of it.