My thoughts on the Giants beatdown last night

Alka

The Giants were 9-7-1 last year, a playoff contender that beat the Vikings in the playoffs.  Last night, the Giants started the game with a spirited opening drive, with Daniel Jones leading the way down to the 8 yard line.  Then a penalty, a poor snap, and watched as the Giants unraveled like a slinky being pulled apart.

Mistakes and setbacks occur in NFL games all the time, but the teams with character seem to pull through, and not fall apart like a cheap suit.

As I think about what happened, I wonder if the players in the back of their minds think about what happened in the offseason at all?  

Daniel Jones gets a $160M contract, and Sequan Barkley, who to me is the best player the Giants have, has to bite the bullet for a 1 year franchise $10 or $11 Million dollar deal.  And if he stays healthy and has a good season, will be honored by getting another 1 year franchise deal again next year.  After that, he will be jettisoned from the team for sure.  

Not to be overlooked, the Giants have to pay over $18M to Leonard Williams this year, with a cap hit of $32.6 Million dollar cap hit.  And what did Leonard Williams do last night to earn his bloated salary?  Not much.  He got a couple of tackles that I noticed, but even one of the commentators mentioned that while Dexter Lawrence was producing, Williams was relatively quiet.  I still laugh at the article which came out recently that the Giants won that trade with the Jets, and it "wasn't even close".  lol

My point is this:  "Do you think that the players are affected by these contracts in a negative way?"  I mean, the Giants do have lots of talent, but do you think the team as a whole is negatively affected by how the organization has run the team?  

To me, the Giants proved last night that they have poor character, not poor talent.  The Jets have both good talent and great character.  The Jets of many years ago would fold like a cheap suit in the face of adversity, but definitely not the Jets of 2023.

Forgetting about talent, I am so happy I am a Jets fan this year and not a Giants fan.  It will be interesting to see how the Giants rebound from last night's game.  

• Upvote 1
  • More Ugh 1

11 minutes ago, Alka said:

The Giants were 9-7-1 last year, a playoff contender that beat the Vikings in the playoffs.  Last night, the Giants started the game with a spirited opening drive, with Daniel Jones leading the way down to the 8 yard line.  Then a penalty, a poor snap, and watched as the Giants unraveled like a slinky being pulled apart.

Mistakes and setbacks occur in NFL games all the time, but the teams with character seem to pull through, and not fall apart like a cheap suit.

As I think about what happened, I wonder if the players in the back of their minds think about what happened in the offseason at all?  

Daniel Jones gets a $160M contract, and Sequan Barkley, who to me is the best player the Giants have, has to bite the bullet for a 1 year franchise $10 or $11 Million dollar deal.  And if he stays healthy and has a good season, will be honored by getting another 1 year franchise deal again next year.  After that, he will be jettisoned from the team for sure.  

Not to be overlooked, the Giants have to pay over $18M to Leonard Williams this year, with a cap hit of $32.6 Million dollar cap hit.  And what did Leonard Williams do last night to earn his bloated salary?  Not much.  He got a couple of tackles that I noticed, but even one of the commentators mentioned that while Dexter Lawrence was producing, Williams was relatively quiet.  I still laugh at the article which came out recently that the Giants won that trade with the Jets, and it "wasn't even close".  lol

My point is this:  "Do you think that the players are affected by these contracts in a negative way?"  I mean, the Giants do have lots of talent, but do you think the team as a whole is negatively affected by how the organization has run the team?  

To me, the Giants proved last night that they have poor character, not poor talent.  The Jets have both good talent and great character.  The Jets of many years ago would fold like a cheap suit in the face of adversity, but definitely not the Jets of 2023.

Forgetting about talent, I am so happy I am a Jets fan this year and not a Giants fan.  It will be interesting to see how the Giants rebound from last night's game.  

Oh my God. It was one game. Dabol is a very good HC. He proved that last season. He will have them ready to play this season. It may not be next week but they will not be a bad team. You want to see what bad teams look like. Look at Arizona and the Rams. 

As far as your point about Jones getting paid and Barkley not, the whole league works with this same structure. Burrows got a record setting deal and the Bengals looked like trash against the Browns for pretty much the same reason the Giants did. Neither team could deal with the pass rushers of the other. That doesn't mean the teams are bad. I'm pretty sure you don't  think the Bengals are bad because they paid Burrows. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, More Cowbell said:

Oh my God. It was one game. Dabol is a very good HC. He proved that last season. He will have them ready to play this season. It may not be next week but they will not be a bad team. You want to see what bad teams look like. Look at Arizona and the Rams. 

As far as your point about Jones getting paid and Barkley not, the whole league works with this same structure. Burrows got a record setting deal and the Bengals looked like trash against the Browns for pretty much the same reason the Giants did. Neither team could deal with the pass rushers of the other. That doesn't mean the teams are bad. I'm pretty sure you don't  think the Bengals are bad because they paid Burrows. 

You know what?  Losing happens.  Getting beat happens.  Getting humiliated on national television, opening night at home against your archrivals?  Should never happen, if you have pride and no quit in you!  The Giants drove the ball down the field opening drive, and then fell apart as bad as I've seen in a long time.  Again, fell apart like a cheap suit!  Good teams get beat, but pride should always be there on the field.  Didn't happen last night, that's all I'm saying.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1
  • More Ugh 1

I’m not being overly critical of Daboll because he did do a fabulous job last season. He seems to have the makings of a fine HC. However everybody is acting that it’s a given he’s a great coach. Eric Mangini had a great first year as Jets HC. He was labeled “Mangenius.” How did that turn out? I’m not saying Daboll is bad, but he needs a larger body of work to draw a definite conclusion.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Alka said:

You know what?  Losing happens.  Getting beat happens.  Getting humiliated on national television, opening night at home against your archrivals?  Should never happen, if you have pride and no quit in you!  The Giants drove the ball down the field opening drive, and then fell apart as bad as I've seen in a long time.  Again, fell apart like a cheap suit!  Good teams get beat, but pride should always be there on the field.  Didn't happen last night, that's all I'm saying.

First off, Dallas isn't  the Giants arch rivals, Philly is. Secondly,  bad games happen. It doesn't  matter if you are on national TV or on Amazon Prime which a lot of people don't have ( still can't  believe they have NFL broadcast rights). The fact is you think the Giants players are pissed that Jones got paid like every other QB who looks like they have the goods as it appeared last season, and Barkley  not getting paid like every other RB which is why we have Dalvin Cook. That is how the league  works now. 

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, Alka said:

You know I never really thought about the Williams trade in a "who won" type of way, but in the end we got Ashtyn Davis and Michael Carter II from that trade.  All things considered that's not a bad return, especially considering how good Carter has become.  Not to mention NOT having that bloated contract on our books, allowing us to pay Quinnen what he deserves(I still think Davis can be a solid safety as well, but I know I'm in the minority on that one).  

Giants are in some serious trouble cap-wise going forward.  I legit have no idea what Jones is.  Sometimes he looks great, sometimes he looks lost.  Maybe that means he's an average or above average QB, but regardless they are locked in with him now.  You're also right, Saquon's days in Giants blue are numbered for sure.  They're just not going to be able to afford to keep him.  If last night was a sign of what's to come this year, I 100% believe Saquon will finish this season playing for another team.

What will truly be interesting to see is if the GMen end up completely falling on their face this year, what they do in the draft if they have a chance to take one of the truly elite QB prospects. 

First off, Dallas isn't  the Giants arch rivals, Philly is. Secondly,  bad games happen. It doesn't  matter if you are on national TV or on Amazon Prime which a lot of people don't have ( still can't  believe they have NFL broadcast rights). The fact is you think the Giants players are pissed that Jones got paid like every other QB who looks like they have the goods as it appeared last season, and Barkley  not getting paid like every other RB which is why we have Dalvin Cook. That is how the league  works now. 

You make some good points here, and I respect your opinion.  But we will disagree regarding the Cowboys not being archrivals of the Giants.  The Giants now lost like 12 out of the last 13 games they played the Cowboys.  If the Giants don't think that Dallas is not there archrivals, perhaps they should start thinking that way.  Maybe that's one of their problems.

While I agree that bad games happen, getting humiliated on national tv opening night at home should not happen.  Again, we will agree to disagree.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, JetsFanatic said:

I’m not being overly critical of Daboll because he did do a fabulous job last season. He seems to have the makings of a fine HC. However everybody is acting that it’s a given he’s a great coach. Eric Mangini had a great first year as Jets HC. He was labeled “Mangenius.” How did that turn out? I’m not saying Daboll is bad, but he needs a larger body of work to draw a definite conclusion.

In my opinion,  the Giants failure can be pinned on one player. Evan Neil. He looked like a child playing with men. 

Giants didn't have a good roster last year and they have a lot of new parts.  Daboll did a lot of great things with a mediocre team.  They did get expossed when they played a really good Philadelphia team in the playoffs last year.  The Cowboys were pretty close to an elite team last year and they have added pieces.  

It was a big mis match and the first possession which was going perfect didn't end perfect and the ball rolled down hill from there.  

I suspect they will be working on protection all week and get it somewhat figured out.  That was just a mismatch in personal and a team that wasn't prepared for the intensity that Dallas brought.   

I think a trip to Arizona is just what the doctor ordered to fix the OL.  

It's gonna be sad if you guys are using the Giants as a punching bag and saying things like "The Giants belong in the XFL" or "I can't wait to watch a real team on Monday" and the Jets lose against a Bills team that isn't the juggernaut it used to be.

This is Week 1, and it's not like every other week. This is the first time starters have played against starters. Anything could happen. I know the Giants looked really lost out there on the field, but it isn't safe to say the Jets are going to beat the Bills even if they are the better team in just about every way.

4 minutes ago, bonkertons said:

Giants are in some serious trouble cap-wise going forward.  I legit have no idea what Jones is.  Sometimes he looks great, sometimes he looks lost.  Maybe that means he's an average or above average QB, but regardless they are locked in with him now.  You're also right, Saquon's days in Giants blue are numbered for sure.  They're just not going to be able to afford to keep him.

I happen to be a believer in Daniel Jones as a QB.  I like him, but honestly, he didn't have a chance last night.  The Giants offensive line got beat up pretty good, and Jones was running for his life.  7 sacks I think.  As for Saquon, I am a fan of his as well.  He grew up a big Jets fan, like his father, and the guy always shows up for the game.  To me, he deserves better.  The Giants could have given him a 2 year $26M dollar deal, and he would have been happy.  Instead, the Giants played hardball with the guy, and made him take less than what the Giants originally offered.  While no one should cry for a guy making $10M a year, he is one injury away from the end of his career.  For whatever reason, I have a soft spot for Saquon.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Hex said:

It's gonna be sad if you guys are using the Giants as a punching bag and saying things like "The Giants belong in the XFL" or "I can't wait to watch a real team on Monday" and the Jets lose against a Bills team that isn't the juggernaut it used to be.

This is Week 1, and it's not like every other week. This is the first time starters have played against starters. Anything could happen. I know the Giants looked really lost out there on the field, but it isn't safe to say the Jets are going to beat the Bills even if they are the better team in just about every way.

I see it as just the opposite.  The Defense, which is the strength of this Jets team are ahead of the offense.  OL take time to gel and most teams haven't played together at all this pre-season.  The Jets have a strong front and deep front.  They will be coming hard just like Dallas did last night.  I think it's a big edge early in the season before the OL, QB's and OC's start seeing a lot of tape and making adjustments. 

The teams with a strong defensive front should have an edge early in the year. 

2 minutes ago, Hex said:

I certainly am not guaranteeing a Jets win tonight, but I will make one guarantee.  I guarantee that the Jets will play with heart tonight,  and they will not give up.  They will play hard from the opening whistle to the closing whistle.  That is my guarantee, and that is what separates the Jets from the Giants.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Alka said:

You make some good points here, and I respect your opinion.  But we will disagree regarding the Cowboys not being archrivals of the Giants.  The Giants now lost like 12 out of the last 13 games they played the Cowboys.  If the Giants don't think that Dallas is not there archrivals, perhaps they should start thinking that way.  Maybe that's one of their problems.

While I agree that bad games happen, getting humiliated on national tv opening night at home should not happen.  Again, we will agree to disagree.

Don't  know if you are aware of this as I have mentioned this a few times here. I am the lone Jets fan in my family. Everyone else are Giants fans. I know who they hate and it's  Philly.  This goes back to the Randle  Cunningham  days. They only care about Dallas because they are in the same division.  It's  sort of like us with the Bills. We want to beat them because it's  a division  game but I don't  think anyone thinks it's  a rivalry like Miami and NE and NE is only a rivalry  because of Brady. I don't  think anyone really cared at all before that and after BB retires, people will care even less. 

And I agree, nobody likes looking bad on TV but I am pretty sure most Giants fans are not screaming at the Giants for signing Jones to that contract. In a few years it will look like a bargain if it doesn't  already and worse moves look to be have been made with other QBs. I know the Browns won, but Watson other than his running ability  looked like trash and that contract was the frame work for other QBs and teams to match.

20 minutes ago, Alka said:

A jets fan mocking another team for getting humiliated on national tv?

america finger GIF

• Upvote 2
  • WTF? 1

And I agree, nobody likes looking bad on TV but I am pretty sure most Giants fans are not screaming at the Giants for signing Jones to that contract. In a few years it will look like a bargain if it doesn't  already and worse moves look to be have been made with other QBs. I know the Browns won, but Watson other than his running ability  looked like trash and that contract was the frame work for other QBs and teams to match.

I happen to like Daniel Jones, and agree that the deal he got was nothing crazy.  And I understand that running backs have been discounted, and Barkley wasn't going to get the big money of the past.  But I still think the Giants could have done a little better by the guy.  Perhaps a 2 year $26M deal, with $20M guaranteed.  He's getting around $11M with incentives, and if franchised, will get around $12 or $13M next year.  This would insure that if Barkley got a career ending injury, he still would get paid next year.  I don't like how the Giants treated Barkley, who I consider the best player on the team.  I also think that if I was a player on the Giants not getting big money, I would see that as a slight not only to Barkley, but a slight on how the organization treats its players, when they are able to use their leverage.