RE: WR what am I missing?

Wit

I’m looking at the receiving core right now, and we have a superstar and an ok guy and some JAGs. Hopkins was available as an example and instead (probably because breece wasn’t actually going to be fully a go and he may have setbacks) we paid for cook. Not against that move, but how hard can it be to double GW and blanket these other guys?

Are there tight ends on this team due for a breakout? Are the undrafted kids better than I think?

• Upvote 3
  • WTF? 2

Not this WR & Hopkins crap again.....

They are fine..More than fine. They don't have the "names" people crave....

Lazard has the size, physicality and familiarity with Rodgers. Cobb has the experience, leadership & familiarity with Rodgers to produce for his role

Hardman and Gibson have the explosion and speed that teams will need to account for every time they are on the field.

Wilson is a superstar in the making

Brownlee & Charles have size & potential.

TEs are fine - Conklin is a beefed up WR...CJ & Ruckert are all around solid TEs.

Hall, Cook & Carter can all line up in receiver sets

Hall, Cook & Izzy all have HR potential every time they touch the ball.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 2

You want a team with no WR's? Look at the Giants last night. I actually felt bad for Daniel because when you look at it, they have Barkley, Waller (who looked slow), and that's it. They do not have anyone in the same universe as GW and Lazard. We have many other issues to worry about besides WR, like keeping our QB alive against Buf and Dal's pass rushes with our OL.

I still think we should go after hunter renfrow. His Contract not outrageous like adams and mike evans. Id take both those guys hands down then renfrow but hes a great route runner with great hands snd imo would be the missing piece especially if we have to consider cap ramifications . 

Rodgers is going to pepper one guy with targets. It’ll be Wilson.

They need a guy defenses will respect the chance of Rodgers taking a shot to in order to impact how teams can roll coverages more than a high end #2 who will command targets.

I don’t think a guy like Hopkins would be happy in that role. Contending clearly wasn’t a priority for him. Maybe the Jets can pull in someone for the role at the deadline if Lazard isn’t doing it adequately.

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, Wit said:

I’m looking at the receiving core right now, and we have a superstar and an ok guy and some JAGs. Hopkins was available as an example and instead (probably because breece wasn’t actually going to be fully a go and he may have setbacks) we paid for cook. Not against that move, but how hard can it be to double GW and blanket these other guys?

Are there tight ends on this team due for a breakout? Are the undrafted kids better than I think?

Not that I'm buying in to the WR concern just pointing out Hopkins was gone before Rodgers renegotiated and cook was signed after. 

And let's not forget all of our RB's are hybrid pass catchers and that at least I believe TE will have a more predominant role with Hacket/Rodgers. 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

If you noticed, for whatever reason, most of the league passed on Hopkins (there has to be more to the story there). Jets were interested in OBJ at the right price

Meanwhile, the Titans scored 15 points this week (all Field Goals).  Hopkins was peppered with targets (13).  He only caught 7 for 65 yards and no scores.  

5 yards per target.  As a reference point, there were 139 qualifying WRs in the NFL last year, and 5.0 yards per target would rank 135th of 139.

Only Week 1 and the Saints defense is pretty solid.  Still.

• Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, Wit said:

I mean, that worked last year, right?  When he had ZW throwing to him with no OL or running game, right?

Pretty sure the kid is going to be OK . . .

lol I dunno...maybe pull up Rodgers' depth chart from 2021-22.  Look at his "stacked" WR group.  It was basically Davante and then....pretty much exactly what we have now:  Lazard and Cobb.  Sub out Valdes-Scantling for Hardman or one of the undrafteds.  All they need is to give you 400 yards to match what he gave the Pack that year.  

That's just the WR.  His RB1 Aaron Jones had just under 400 yards receiving.  Breece had 218 in 7 games(more like 6.5 games).  Then you have the great Mercedes Lewis with his 200 receiving yards and 0 TDs.

Aaron Rodgers that year:  4115 yards, 37/4 TD/INT,  MVP

Basically, if you believe GW is the real deal, AND if you believe Rodgers is closer to MVP level AR than 2022 AR, he has everything he needs and then some.  Let's relax with the lack of weapons stuff. 

• Upvote 1

I don't know. It really seems like we needed to sign a veteran to me, but we still have plenty of people ready to catch balls for us. I love the UDFA's. Are they a risk? Sure, but get em out there, get em on their feet. 82 can catch and run. I think Mecole Hardman is going to surprised people if Hackett can get him in space. He's a YAC fiend. He is most certainly not a "JAG."

34 minutes ago, Skeptable said:

Davante Adams was all he had ... and they won... and didn't have defense... This WR thing is ridiculous.

The Broncos doubled and even tripled team Devante Adams yesterday .  He had to move to the slot to get open.    With all  that attention Jakobi Meyers before he got knocked unconscious - was catching everything because they were concerned with Adams.       The Raiders didn’t do enough throwing to Hunter Renfrow or their Tes .   ( they were only target once-  Te catch was biggest catch of the game   -  Hunter Renfrow was open quite a bit just Jimmy has more comfortable throwing to Meyers. The middle of the field is where Jimmy G is the most effective,   and took McDaniel awhile to figure that out.  

Cutting Oj Howard going to prove to be the biggest mistake.   He isn’t the receiver the other three Tes are , but the one thing he could block the bigtime Des .  Rookie M Mayer  is struggling in that part of the game right now.

not a good performance yesterday , but like big Al used to say-  just win baby. 

• More Ugh 1

DUMP, BAN , LOCK says the captain.  We have a game tonight.  Not the time for this crap.

Aaron Rodgers is slinging the ball around Jetlife tonight and we are whining about receivers.  My goodness.................

The disease just wont quit.  Its unreal these threads are popping up on gameday.  No other fanbase would do this.

Jet fans....................

• Upvote 3
  • Thumb Down 1

Zack Rosenblatt  Zack Rosenblatt·
Staff Writer, Jets

Jets' pass-catching pecking order entering Week 1

Aaron Rodgers only played briefly in the preseason so it’s hard to extrapolate anything from what happened in those two series he played against the Giants (other than the fact that Garrett Wilson is very good), but I did track all of his throws in 11-on-11 drills throughout training camp. So, based on that and conversations with Jets players and coaches throughout the summer, here’s how I view the pecking order in the passing game for Rodgers in Week 1:

WR Garrett Wilson: This is easy. Davante Adams averaged 153 targets per season from 2018-21, and I expect Wilson to come in around that range when all is said and done.
    WR Allen Lazard: He was targeted 100 times last year (without Adams) and 60 times the year before (with Adams). Rodgers will look his way a lot and it helps that he’ll be on the field most of the time because of his contributions in the running game.
    RB Dalvin Cook: As the season progresses this spot might be reserved for Breece Hall but I expect Cook to get the lion's share of the work in Week 1. Rodgers checked down to the running backs quite a bit in camp and will have to against the Bills if the offensive line doesn’t hold up. Cook was only targeted three times a game last season for the Vikings.
    TE Tyler Conklin: He and Rodgers quickly showed they have a connection in training camp and tight ends historically have done pretty well targets-wise with Rodgers. He’s better than the tight ends Rodgers had in Green Bay last year too.
    WR Randall Cobb: He’s Rodgers’ best friend and became an unexpected starter for Week 1 after Corey Davis’ retirement and because Mecole Hardman failed to stand out in camp. Hardman has more talent, but Cobb has a reliability factor — and the trust of the quarterback. He will play a decent-sized role in this offense.
    RB Breece Hall: I’ll be interested to see how much he plays in Week 1, but he’s a threat to score anytime he touches the ball and he’ll surely garner a few catches too.
    TE CJ Uzomah: He’s more of a blocking tight end but he’s developed a close relationship with Rodgers and will be on the field for most 12 personnel packages so Rodgers will look his way at some point.
    WR Mecole Hardman: He has the speed to be a threat anytime he gets the ball in his hands but it doesn’t seem like he’s going to have a significant role on offense right away.
    RB Michael Carter: If Hall doesn’t get a full workload then Carter will see some time spelling him and Cook. He was targeted quite a bit out of the backfield in camp though Cook and Hall barely practiced.
    TE Jeremy Ruckert: Jets coaches are very high on him and it wouldn’t be surprising if he eventually surpassed Uzomah and/or Conklin on the depth chart, just not yet.
    WR Xavier Gipson: Teammates and coaches rave about him like he’s going to be a star. Most importantly, Rodgers loves him. Do not be surprised if he winds up getting some snaps right away both as a returner and offense — and eventually becomes a bigger part of the operation as he gets used to the NFL.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

Great QBs don't need all pros at each WR spot to succeed, just competent guys. Who did Brady ever play and win with? Moss is probably the big name he played with in NE, and how long did that last? Brady did just fine with numerous short somewhat slow guys who were competent. The Jets WRs are fine currently. They aren't playing fantasy football. An upgrade would be great, but let's see at least one game first before people start complaining like they have sand in their vag.

• Upvote 4

DUMP, BAN , LOCK says the captain.  We have a game tonight.  Not the time for this crap.
Aaron Rodgers is slinging the ball around Jetlife tonight and we are whining about receivers.  My goodness.................
The disease just wont quit.  Its unreal these threads are popping up on gameday.  No other fanbase would do this.
Jet fans....................

Sorry cap’n

If we learned anything from last night it is that the WRs matter less then the OL that is creating time and space for the QB to be able to get them the ball.

If they run the right routes then Rogers will get the ball to them.  This group is fine as is.

• Upvote 1