What happens with the salary cap?

BCJet

Great team win, defense and younger plays looked as great as they could and yet somehow here we all sit in absolute misery. Almost unfathomable turn if events. 

Misery aside - what on earth happens with these cap hits?  I know people are saying that Rogers won’t play again but an Achilles is more of an 8-10 month injury so even at his age if he WANTS to play next year he likely will be able to, whether he can do it effectively js a different question.   So my question is how devastating is this to the cap?  Here is what overthecap.com has:

Aaron Rodgers agreed to a revised contract with the Jets that is worth $112.5 million for three years. $75 million of the contract is fully guaranteed. Rodgers has a $35 million bonus paid in 2023 and his 2023 and 2024 base salaries are fully guaranteed. In 2024 there is also a guaranteed option bonus worth $35 million. 

That seems like enormous dead money next year but I don’t know what happens to guaranteed salaries or roster bonuses if a player retires.  Anyone want to weigh in here?

Great team win, defense and younger plays looked as great as they could and yet somehow here we all sit in absolute misery. Almost unfathomable turn of events. 

Misery aside - what on earth happens with these cap hits?  I know people are saying that Rogers won’t play again but an Achilles is more of an 8-10 month injury so even at his age if he WANTS to play next year he likely will be able to, whether he can do it effectively js a different question.   So my question is how devastating is this to the cap?  Here is what overthecap.com has:

Aaron Rodgers agreed to a revised contract with the Jets that is worth $112.5 million for three years. $75 million of the contract is fully guaranteed. Rodgers has a $35 million bonus paid in 2023 and his 2023 and 2024 base salaries are fully guaranteed. In 2024 there is also a guaranteed option bonus worth $35 million. 

That seems like enormous dead money next year but I don’t know what happens to guaranteed salaries or roster bonuses if a player retires.  Anyone want to weigh in here?

8-10 months to be semi normal, not to be NFL elite back to normal. If we see him in 2024 it will be a B- version of a 40 year old version of a dude flinching because his O Line here is dog water. And you answered your own question. Guaranteed money is guaranteed money. We out this monies and gots no qbs.

20 minutes ago, BCJet said:

Great team win, defense and younger plays looked as great as they could and yet somehow here we all sit in absolute misery. Almost unfathomable turn of events. 

I think, if he retired before the roster bonus trigger date, we’re off the hook for that money. 

Also, if he retired, any money that’s a guaranteed salary - meaning paid out on a weekly basis over the course of the season, we would not take a cap hit for. 

Any bonus money that has already been paid out would continue to count on the cap…not sure if it accelerates with retirement.

Not 100% sure tho. 

If he retires before next season it's just $37MM.

Even if they pay his option bonus and then he retires, it still wouldn't count because it's an option bonus for playing football & if he retires before playing he has to pay all of that 2nd bonus back. There may be a delay with that, depending if that gets dragged out and for how long, but in the end the Jets get it back.

Presume it wouldn't drag out & they'd recover that right away, but for as long as it drags out then it depends when he gets his bonus & how soon after that he announces his retirement (paid right away but retires after 6/1 they'd only have to carry $7MM of it until they got paid back; if both occur before 6/1 and you're talking about a temporary $66MM hit, in theory, until he pays the team back). I don't see Rodgers doing any of that, but those are the numbers unless I'm looking at it wrong (also a possibility).

Other than that unlikely scenario, where he retires quickly after getting paid nothing more than he's already received:

Out of that $37MM paid to him thus far, subtract $9MM that hit the cap in '23 leaving $28MM as a dead hit in 2024. That's if he retires after 1 season, makes it official right away (before 6/1/24), and the Jets don't pay his option bonus to carry that through the free agency period.

Alternatively - and more likely, if he's made up his mind to retire - he could agree to restructure his contract in a wink-wink deal where his option bonus doesn't get paid until the end of the summer and he officially submits his retirement papers at any point 6/1 or later before  any further bonus is paid). In that case it's the same $28MM total but only $7MM would hit in 2024, with the balance ($21MM) hitting in 2025.

Lastly there's also the possibility of an injury settlement where it's something in between, but how that hits depends both on how much is paid, when it's paid, how it's paid (option bonus vs roster bonus), and when he retires. Since all that's unknown, it can't be calculated but it is a scenario that could result in something in between the above.

Someone else can check over these numbers, though.