Enter, Sandman?

SlugORama99

First of all, let me start by saying that I am a Mets fan. Second of all, I would like to hear from the yankee fans about the trivial issue of what song plays on the PA system while Billy Wagner runs out to the mound.FatAss and PissBoy made a huge stink about this on the FAN yesterday saying that Wagner can't come in to that music because Rivera owns the rights due to his stellar play in the Bronx. Give me a ****ing break!!! It's a heavy metal song that plays during a t.v. timeout that only the teams' fans can usually hear. I could see if he just started using it recently, but he has been doing it in Philly for almost his entire career.It's not like Rivera even knows who Metallica is. He probably thinks it's the newest ****ing latte at Starbucks!Discuss

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It's pretty unoriginal and it looks like he is copying Mo. Simple as that.

Did I mention that the cousins that Wagner lived with when he was a kid (he did not have a good home life) were roadies for Metallica?I know what it looks like, but I don't feel that he needs to change his entrance music.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8SrRgtdYFH4&search=mariano%20rivera

:cheers:

I really dont care what Wagner uses though. If thats what gets him pumped up, thats fine.

Just in NY, Enter Sandman will always be attached with Mo.

I agree 100% and don't feel that he is trying to copy Mo at all. It's just coincidental that they play the same exact position in the same city.

I agree that Mo could not care less. He didn't pick the song. I am just surprised that the Mets would do it. It seems like a copy even though he has used it for a long time.

I do think the Yankees started it with Mo though. Although technicially I think the got the idea from what the Padres were doing. Anyone want to jump in on that one?

That being said it isn't a big deal IMO. Just something to talk about on the radio. Who cares what song they play. Just get guys out.

I agree that Mo could not care less. He didn't pick the song. I am just surprised that the Mets would do it. It seems like a copy even though he has used it for a long time.

I do think the Yankees started it with Mo though. Although technicially I think the got the idea from what the Padres were doing. Anyone want to jump in on that one?

That being said it isn't a big deal IMO. Just something to talk about on the radio. Who cares what song they play. Just get guys out.

I agree Max. I believe it originated with Mo because Sandman was his nickname, but I could be wrong. If I were a Yankee fan, I would hate to have that fat bastard Francesa as my spokesperson on the radio. He's such a dick!

I'm surprised this hasn't come up sooner.

I could care less in all honesty.

The media is making this out to be alot more than what it should be.

Met fans do their own version of the "Roll Call" now as well.

The only thing Met fans and the media should worry about is that Wagner does a better job than Looper did last year for them.

I'm surprised this hasn't come up sooner.

I could care less in all honesty.

The media is making this out to be alot more than what it should be.

Met fans do their own version of the "Roll Call" now as well.

The only thing Met fans and the media should worry about is that Wagner does a better job than Looper did last year for them.

I think it is total bull**** that they now do the roll call at Shea. That is something that is unique to yankee fans. Believe me, I am a diehard Met fan, but even I can admit when we are being cheezy and looking like tools - ala imitating the roll call.I don't think there is any question that Wagner will surpass Looper's production. He'll have more saves by the all-star break than Looper had all season!

The Mets do Roll call now ?

Im sorry but when does it stop?

What's next? YMCA during the 7th inning stretch?

:rolleyes:

Im pretty sure the Mets have their own variation of that as well during the 7th. Same concept, just a different song. I havent been to Shea in a few years though.

It's not the Mets, its a bunch of wannabe yankee fans that probably are too afraid to go to the bronx to watch their beloved team play.

Im pretty sure the Mets have their own variation of that as well during the 7th. Same concept, just a different song. I havent been to Shea in a few years though.

7th inning stretch consists of God Bless America, Take Me Out to the Ballgame and some stupid, dominic the donkey type song (which has no place at a baseball game). No YMCA and no dancing ground crew.

It's not the Mets, its a bunch of wannabe yankee fans that probably are too afraid to go to the bronx to watch their beloved team play.

This is the most pathetic post Ive seen in this forum not by a guy named "Jet/Bosoxfan" . So now the garbage at shea are Yankee fans?

You can imitate the Yankees all you want....Win a couple championships and come talk to us.

This is the most pathetic post Ive seen in this forum not by a guy named "Jet/Bosoxfan" . So now the garbage at shea are Yankee fans?

You can imitate the Yankees all you want....Win a couple championships and come talk to us.

Smizz, I've been a Met fan my entire life and so have most of my family and friends. We would not be participating in a "roll call" at Shea knowing that it was something originated by yankee fans. Not only because it would feel dirty to do something that they do, but it's just not right!

The Mets better not pilfer "Cotton Eye Joe" or ELSE!

Seriously-nonsense drummed up by the media. And having Veal Francesa and the Idiot talk about it is more proof they have nothing of substance to say. They've been exposed on YES as two jerkoffs stealing from the newspapers.Thye even have them out on the console, paging through them. It's practically plagarism. But newspaper guys don't want to make them mad or not get invited on their show.

Would like to see a "Battle of Wits" between Chris Russo and Herman Edwards moderated by Cliff Clavin.

All I care about is the Yankees winning.

So the Mets are copying the Yankees. Big deal. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. The Yankees cook up the winning ideas, the Mets copy them. The latest is the Roll Call, and of course, the Sports Network, a copy of YES Network.

This is one reason why the Mets will always be #2 in NY.:rolleyes:

Smizz, I've been a Met fan my entire life and so have most of my family and friends. We would not be participating in a "roll call" at Shea knowing that it was something originated by yankee fans. Not only because it would feel dirty to do something that they do, but it's just not right!

To imply Yankee fans are at shea because they are scared of Yankee stadium is asinine. You think Yankee fans would go to shea and do the Roll call? Please.

It's comical to even think about.

I think it is total bull**** that they now do the roll call at Shea. That is something that is unique to yankee fans. Believe me, I am a diehard Met fan, but even I can admit when we are being cheezy and looking like tools - ala imitating the roll call.I don't think there is any question that Wagner will surpass Looper's production. He'll have more saves by the all-star break than Looper had all season!

You just answered your own question there with Wagner and why the media is all in a huff about it.

Enter Sandman is a unique thing for Rivera, The Yankees and Yankee Stadium.

I think you are seeing that most Yankee fans here could care less about it. (Although it does give us more ammunition to tweak you guys with) :)

So the Mets are copying the Yankees. Big deal. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. The Yankees cook up the winning ideas, the Mets copy them. The latest is the Roll Call, and of course, the Sports Network, a copy of YES Network.

Unfortunately, when the Mets are winning (which has been rare lately) they are the media darling of the city. It's a fact. You'll see more Met backpages this year than Yanks.

I go to about 20 Mets games a year, and only ONCE did I hear the Met fans in the bleachers TRY a roll call last year, it fizzled out around 3B it was so weak. They haven't done it since. That is a Yankee thing, YMCA by the groundcrew, again Yankee thing.

As for the "Enter Sandman" thing...who cares??? Everyone in NY knows that song is synonymous with Mo, but if Wagner likes the song and has been coming out to it for 10 years, who the hell cares? As long as he is better than Benitez, Looper and Franco, I don't care what he comes out to! For Fatcessa to say, he has to change it because Rivera had it 1st in NY is stupid! Does that mean the Mets should take the NY off their jerseys and hats since the Yankees had it first? ITS A SONG...GET OVER IT!!!

Rivera is better than Wagner...The Yankees have a better history than the Mets..we all know that! 2 closers having the same song isn't going to change that and is no big deal.

Unfortunately, when the Mets are winning (which has been rare lately) they are the media darling of the city. It's a fact. You'll see more Met backpages this year than Yanks.

Really?

Today's NY Post had Yankee pictures and headlines on the Front page AND the Back page. But the Mets won yesterday also.

Hmmmm.................:lock:

I go to about 20 Mets games a year, and only ONCE did I hear the Met fans in the bleachers TRY a roll call last year, it fizzled out around 3B it was so weak. They haven't done it since. That is a Yankee thing, YMCA by the groundcrew, again Yankee thing.

As for the "Enter Sandman" thing...who cares??? Everyone in NY knows that song is synonymous with Mo, but if Wagner likes the song and has been coming out to it for 10 years, who the hell cares? As long as he is better than Benitez, Looper and Franco, I don't care what he comes out to! For Fatcessa to say, he has to change it because Rivera had it 1st in NY is stupid! Does that mean the Mets should take the NY off their jerseys and hats since the Yankees had it first? ITS A SONG...GET OVER IT!!!

Rivera is better than Wagner...The Yankees have a better history than the Mets..we all know that! 2 closers having the same song isn't going to change that and is no big deal.

Well said!

Really?

Today's NY Post had Yankee pictures and headlines on the Front page AND the Back page. But the Mets won yesterday also.

Hmmmm.................:lock:

Actually, the Post that I bought had David Wright on the front page and the lucky play at the plate on the back page. I guess it was the early edition. It will be like that all week.

The only paper that will give the Mets the backpage more often is Newsday. The Post & News know there are more Yankee fans around since '96 and put them on the back pages cause it sells more papers. Until the Mets get back to being a playoff team on a regular basis, the Yanks will dominate the city. Just a fact...and I HATE saying this being a die-hard Mets fan and Yankee hater.

Fact of the matter is, both the Mets and Yankees have huge payrolls and limited personalities. I dont see either as being "true media darlings." I'm not even sure what that means anyway.

I guess the Mets were back in 86 because they were young and did a lot of drugs.

The only paper that will give the Mets the backpage more often is Newsday. The Post & News know there are more Yankee fans around since '96 and put them on the back pages cause it sells more papers. Until the Mets get back to being a playoff team on a regular basis, the Yanks will dominate the city. Just a fact...and I HATE saying this being a die-hard Mets fan and Yankee hater.

I see your point, but also believe that it will turn around sooner than that.

So...

The roll call is a No-No you agree with.

The YMCA song is a no-no you agree with .

but Playing the same exact song when your closer comes out that the Yankees play in yankee stadium for Mo when he comes out to close a game is ok?

I guess Im missing something. Metalica doesn't have any other songs?

So...

but Playing the same exact song when your closer comes out that the Yankees play in yankee stadium for Mo when he comes out to close a game is ok?

Roll call is something the bleacher losers came up with...I actually like it.

YMCA by the groundscrew is goofy, I'm glad the Mets groundcrew don't do it.

Neither the Yankees nor their fans invented "Enter Sandman" I'm sure there are other closers in baseball that use a song that someone else comes out to, or maybe even "Enter Sandman". Again...it's a song!!! Who cares what they come out to! I don't know why anyone is making a big deal out of it.

So...

YesYesAnd Yes! It's not copying Mo if it happened before Wagner came to NY. AND, they both started their careers in '95. Wagner had a different song at first in Houston, but I believe it was Jeff Bagwell that told him to change his song. Henceforth (that means therefore, Smizzy), Enter Sandman.

Neither the Yankees nor their fans invented "Enter Sandman" I'm sure there are other closers in baseball that use a song that someone else comes out to, or maybe even "Enter Sandman". Again...it's a song!!! Who cares what they come out to! I don't know why anyone is making a big deal out of it.

Take Rick "Wild Thing" Vaughn for example.

vaughn.jpg

LOL...I guess it's because they share the same city. If it was Atlanta or Cleveland nobody would care....The fact that it's NYC makes it something to talk about.

Ive always had a problem with the Mets uniform having Pinstripes too...Why on earth would a team this close to the Yankees bite everything ?

Id wanna be original...they wanna be the Yankees....but then again...who doesn't?

LOL...I guess it's because they share the same city. If it was Atlanta or Cleveland nobody would care....The fact that it's NYC makes it something to talk about.

Ive always had a problem with the Mets uniform having Pinstripes too...Why on earth would a team this close to the Yankees bite everything ?

Id wanna be original...they wanna be the Yankees....but then again...who doesn't?

I think the Mets finally realized that too Smizz a couple years ago when they went to black jerseys or their "snow white" jerseys, no pinstripes. They still have them, but rarely wear them. It's usually the all-white or black jerseys now at home, and the gray's on the road.

NOW....if only they could copy the 24 more rings the Yanks got, we'd be in business!!! ;)

Archived