Screwed over not once, not twice, but possibly three times by Aaron Rogers.

EM31

This may be a little controversial especially at this time but #2 and #3 are playing out as we speak.

Preamble.

This is a potentially super bowl ready team this year but saddled with the worst starting QB in the history of the NFL.  Hyperbole?  No, I don't think so.  Zach is historically bad by any metric but because the GM picked him #2 overall and because we have a porous offensive line and because the the GM failed to put any kind of viable alternative on the roster we were stuck with Zach for more starts than any other human being would have received.  It isn't just that he is bad, it was the length of time during which he was so bad that makes him the worst ever.  

So how did Rogers screw us?

People around the league recognized that the Jets roster was one missing piece away from a legitimate run.  This was a job that any QB in his right mind would love a chance at.

Screw #1

Rogers was interested in us and we were interested in him.  So much so that we passed on a number of very viable 2nd choices such as Derek Carr.  Carr would not have cost us the draft capital.  At the end of the day and because both sides were so publicly enamored with each other, we ignored other alternatives and we overpaid the packers on the deal because their front office knew that the Jets were already all-in on Aaron Rogers,

Screw #2

Well that one happened this week on the 4th offense snap of the season.  People may say there is no predicting these kinds of freak injuries but is that really true or is it just a nice sound bite?   Maybe it is just freakishly bad but Rogers also had a niggling calf injury on the same leg going into the game and with all the opening night hype, running out the flag, 9-11 commemoration hype, national media attention and desire to prove himself.....  Well, I have to think that extending that play and planting on that foot with that preexisting calf injury.... Maybe that had something to do with just how "freaky" the injury really was.   In any event, we are NY Jets fans, we do not get to have nice things and so we get a dagger into our collective hearts after four offensive plays because of a "freak" injury..... ZSo it goes.

Screw #3

So what is a GM to do?  Hope against hope that the worst QB in the history of the NFL suddenly starts to get better or go out there and see if a deal can be made for some "decent QB"?  Say a Mathew Stafford or even a Kirk Cousins if either their current team could be persuaded to part with him.  The problem is that the GM is frozen in place because Aaron Rogers wants to come back next year or the year after.  We cannot bring another star QB-sized salary onto the team for a 16 games?  I don't think so.  i think the only move left to JD is to bring in some scrub or other at a cheap enough price and then wait a few weeks until the locker room and fan base are once again screaming that any scrub is better than Zach (and be right when they say that). 

So I get how we got here and I get that hindsight is always 20-20 but the Aaron Rogers name and legend is still affecting the choices available to the GM even today and even after one of the great disasters in NFL franchise history has already happened.

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 20
  • WTF? 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • More Ugh 3

7 hours ago, EM31 said:

This may be a little controversial especially at this time but #2 and #3 are playing out as we speak.

Preamble.

This is a potentially super bowl ready team this year but saddled with the worst starting QB in the history of the NFL.  Hyperbole?  No, I don't think so.  Zach is historically bad by any metric but because the GM picked him #2 overall and because we have a porous offensive line and because the the GM failed to put any kind of viable alternative on the roster we were stuck with Zach for more starts than any other human being would have received.  It isn't just that he is bad, it was the length of time during which he was so bad that makes him the worst ever.  

So how did Rogers screw us?

People around the league recognized that the Jets roster was one missing piece away from a legitimate run.  This was a job that any QB in his right mind would love a chance at.

Screw #1

Rogers was interested in us and we were interested in him.  So much so that we passed on a number of very viable 2nd choices such as Derek Carr.  Carr would not have cost us the draft capital.  At the end of the day and because both sides were so publicly enamored with each other, we ignored other alternatives and we overpaid the packers on the deal because their front office knew that the Jets were already all-in on Aaron Rogers,

Screw #2

Well that one happened this week on the 4th offense snap of the season.  People may say there is no predicting these kinds of freak injuries but is that really true or is it just a nice sound bite?   Maybe it is just freakishly bad but Rogers also had a niggling calf injury on the same leg going into the game and with all the opening night hype, running out the flag, 9-11 commemoration hype, national media attention and desire to prove himself.....  Well, I have to think that extending that play and planting on that foot with that preexisting calf injury.... Maybe that had something to do with just how "freaky" the injury really was.   In any event, we are NY Jets fans, we do not get to have nice things and so we get a dagger into our collective hearts after four offensive plays because of a "freak" injury..... ZSo it goes.

Screw #3

So what is a GM to do?  Hope against hope that the worst QB in the history of the NFL suddenly starts to get better or go out there and see if a deal can be made for some "decent QB"?  Say a Mathew Stafford or even a Kirk Cousins if either their current team could be persuaded to part with him.  The problem is that the GM is frozen in place because Aaron Rogers wants to come back next year or the year after.  We cannot bring another star QB-sized salary onto the team for a 16 games?  I don't think so.  i think the only move left to JD is to bring in some scrub or other at a cheap enough price and then wait a few weeks until the locker room and fan base are once again screaming that any scrub is better than Zach (and be right when they say that). 

So I get how we got here and I get that hindsight is always 20-20 but the Aaron Rogers name and legend is still affecting the choices available to the GM even today and even after one of the great disasters in NFL franchise history has already happened.

If I could Triple Negative Rep this post I would. 👍

• Haha 1

Screw #1 I said they should have gave up the picks for Lamar Jackson.

Screw #2 And when they got Rogers, I said they should bring in a quality back up.

Screw #3 I posted an angry picture of Zach's mom somewhere in response to something Rodgers.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

This post is ridiculous.  We all knew Rodgers' age and that there was some level of risk.  But no risk, no reward.  I agreed with JD acquiring him at the time and I still agree with it (despite the injury).

Rodgers was a reasonable option. 

But it my opinion was not the best one - he was just too risky coming at such a high cost.  

Carr was always my 1st choice, Rodgers 2nd choice but jets and douglas botched the trade.

My big beef if Rodgers does not come back?   We went out and to me got lesser players and coaches to make him happy and now we are stuck with them.

Hopefully he comes back and makes us happy or coaches up zach wilson to make him viable.

1 minute ago, FidelioJet said:

Rodgers was a reasonable option. 

But it my opinion was not the best one - he was just too risky coming at such a high cost.  

Tbh, I loved the move.  We have a lot of very talented young players who we weren't paying big money to (yet).  The time to strike was immediately.  JD brought in a HOF QB in an attempt to go for a Super Bowl.  I thought it was 100% the right move (even though it hasn't worked out so far and probably won't at all).

But I respect your opinion (even if I disagree with it).  You're not one who just goes with the crowd.

Point 1 is debatable but fair. 

Point 2 seems nonsensical. So you wanted him to play QB without ever extending plays because he had a sore calf? What? Listen - he actually had room to get the ball to Wilson and should have thrown it to him, but you what you are saying is not how sports work.

point 3 is just unfair. The jets wanted him here multiple years. He wanted to be here multiple years.  His reworked contract reflects that. Injuries are a known risk and part of the game. Sh*t happens - especially to this franchise. Guess what? If Patrick Mahomes tears his ACL next week, the chiefs won’t be able to trade for a star QB, either! 

• Upvote 3

Just now, TuscanyTile2 said:

Tbh, I loved the move.  We have a lot of very talented young players who we weren't paying big money to (yet).  The time to strike was immediately.  JD brought in a HOF QB in an attempt to go for a Super Bowl.  I thought it was 100% the right move (even though it hasn't worked out so far and probably won't at all).

But I respect your opinion (even if I disagree with it).  You're not one who just goes with the crowd.

Honestly I didn't hate the Rodgers choice.  Understanding the circumstances, I just felt it came with a lot of risks for a big price tag.

Carr was the move I would have made as it would have given them three years to move on from Zach and bring in the next heir apparent.  

Not saying it would have worked out any better - just thought the better fit for the situation the Jets were in.

Just now, rtnelson said:

I feel screwed that this forum will be more Zach talk.  I was so excited that we were all going to be united in awe at how good the team is.... Then... 4 plays.

This is going to be a really fun season, this team is incredible. 

Such a shame that we won't see how good it could be with AR at the helm.  The Pats and KC games would've really been something.  Even the Eagles (potentially our first win ever against that franchise) would've been great.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

1 minute ago, rtnelson said:

I feel screwed that this forum will be more Zach talk.  I was so excited that we were all going to be united in awe at how good the team is.... Then... 4 plays.

This is going to be a really fun season, this team is incredible. 

The dark humor is worth the price of admission. I wouldn't miss this season for the world. 

• Post of the Week 1

6 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Such a shame that we won't see how good it could be with AR at the helm.  The Pats and KC games would've really been something.  Even the Eagles (potentially our first win ever against that franchise) would've been great.

Yup.

More than anything else...every week was going to feel like a playoff game.  Being relevant was just going to make the season so much more interesting.  

For me that just sucks.

Zach's not the answer and there is just no other option that will make this team a legitimate contender. 

Just now, TuscanyTile2 said:

It's all we're ever left with but I feel the exact same way.

There is only one possibly worse outcome than losing Rodgers for the Season on the opening drive:

The injury never occurs but the Jets lose. 

Can you imagine the wailing and gnashing of teeth that would be occurring in here? If the Jets were 0-1? 

I'm a "sh*t happens" kind of guy. Indeed, sh*t happens, alot. 

What I've learned since that horrible moment Duane Brown slipped and fell Leonard Floyd was unimpeded on Rodgers blindside---

This is a damn good football team, with some damn good players. 

Drive on.

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, Ron Rico said:

There is only one possibly worse outcome than losing Rodgers for the Season on the opening drive:

The injury never occurs but the Jets lose. 

Can you imagine the wailing and gnashing of teeth that would be occurring in here? If the Jets were 0-1? 

I'm a "sh*t happens" kind of guy. Indeed, sh*t happens, alot. 

What I've learned since that horrible moment Duane Brown slipped and fell Leonard Floyd was unimpeded on Rodgers blindside---

This is a damn good football team, with some damn good players. 

Drive on.

It is a damn good football team but I'm not sure how much winning we're going to be able to do with ZW at the helm.  Unless he steps it up (which is conceivable but I think unlikely) then there's going to be a lot of frustration setting in at missed potential/opportunities.

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

This post is ridiculous.  We all knew Rodgers' age and that there was some level of risk.  But no risk, no reward.  I agreed with JD acquiring him at the time and I still agree with it (despite the injury).

I like that people are so deep that we still want to believe the Rodgers trade was a good move 

That's some real commitment right there 

• Thumb Down 1
  • More Ugh 1
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, jetsons said:

If I could Triple Negative Rep this post I would. 👍

#1 We did not pass up on other options (both cheaper and younger) and we did not overpay Green Bay because of how the negotiations went down.  Got it.

#2 There is zero chance that Rogers wanting desperately to impress in his debut when coupled with a preexisting injury to that exact part of his body had any impact whatsoever on the outcome?  Gotcha.  I am glad you know this to be true and a fact.

#3 Any move that could be made right now for a top flight QB is not being hampered by Rogers saying that he wants to come back and play next year.  Maybe we could get a Matthew Stafford or a <insert decent starter here> but we cannot do so right now because we are currently wedded to someone who may or may not ever suit up for this team again.  I am so glad that you feel this is not impacting Joe Douglas' ability to find a solution here in 2023.  

• Thumb Down 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Yup.

More than anything else...every week was going to feel like a playoff game.  Being relevant was just going to make the season so much more interesting.  

For me that just sucks.

Zach's not the answer and there is just no other option that will make this team a legitimate contender. 

Look, I didn't like all the "we can be the 85 Bears" talk but what else do we really have left? Trent Dilfer has a SB ring because the Ravens had one of the best defenses ever in the NFL, that year (2001). 

We can still win games, and we can still make the playoffs, regardless if our QB is Aaron Rodgers or Trent Dilfer. It can happen. It is in the realm of possibility. 

I know we are only one game deep but I just sense some intangible something that makes my spider sense tingle in terms of then vs now ie Mike LeFleur vs Nathanial Hackett. I'm gonna roll with it.