Screwed over not once, not twice, but possibly three times by Aaron Rogers.

EM31

13 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

It is a damn good football team but I'm not sure how much winning we're going to be able to do with ZW at the helm.  Unless he steps it up (which is conceivable but I think unlikely) then there's going to be a lot of frustration setting in at missed potential/opportunities.

There was alot of back and forth last year vis a vis is it MLF who is the problem or is it Zach--

That was a variable left undetermined until now. Believe me, I didn't want to see this, but here we are. We really are going to get to settle that debate in the next few weeks. 

What gives me hope is, so many coaches and players came here exclusively to play for/with Rodgers, and all of them didn't quit when Rodgers went down. 

Not one of them quit, or choked. That speaks loudly to me.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, EM31 said:

This may be a little controversial especially at this time but #2 and #3 are playing out as we speak.

Preamble.

This is a potentially super bowl ready team this year but saddled with the worst starting QB in the history of the NFL.  Hyperbole?  No, I don't think so.  Zach is historically bad by any metric but because the GM picked him #2 overall and because we have a porous offensive line and because the the GM failed to put any kind of viable alternative on the roster we were stuck with Zach for more starts than any other human being would have received.  It isn't just that he is bad, it was the length of time during which he was so bad that makes him the worst ever.  

So how did Rogers screw us?

People around the league recognized that the Jets roster was one missing piece away from a legitimate run.  This was a job that any QB in his right mind would love a chance at.

Screw #1

Rogers was interested in us and we were interested in him.  So much so that we passed on a number of very viable 2nd choices such as Derek Carr.  Carr would not have cost us the draft capital.  At the end of the day and because both sides were so publicly enamored with each other, we ignored other alternatives and we overpaid the packers on the deal because their front office knew that the Jets were already all-in on Aaron Rogers,

Screw #2

Well that one happened this week on the 4th offense snap of the season.  People may say there is no predicting these kinds of freak injuries but is that really true or is it just a nice sound bite?   Maybe it is just freakishly bad but Rogers also had a niggling calf injury on the same leg going into the game and with all the opening night hype, running out the flag, 9-11 commemoration hype, national media attention and desire to prove himself.....  Well, I have to think that extending that play and planting on that foot with that preexisting calf injury.... Maybe that had something to do with just how "freaky" the injury really was.   In any event, we are NY Jets fans, we do not get to have nice things and so we get a dagger into our collective hearts after four offensive plays because of a "freak" injury..... ZSo it goes.

Screw #3

So what is a GM to do?  Hope against hope that the worst QB in the history of the NFL suddenly starts to get better or go out there and see if a deal can be made for some "decent QB"?  Say a Mathew Stafford or even a Kirk Cousins if either their current team could be persuaded to part with him.  The problem is that the GM is frozen in place because Aaron Rogers wants to come back next year or the year after.  We cannot bring another star QB-sized salary onto the team for a 16 games?  I don't think so.  i think the only move left to JD is to bring in some scrub or other at a cheap enough price and then wait a few weeks until the locker room and fan base are once again screaming that any scrub is better than Zach (and be right when they say that). 

So I get how we got here and I get that hindsight is always 20-20 but the Aaron Rogers name and legend is still affecting the choices available to the GM even today and even after one of the great disasters in NFL franchise history has already happened.

Hey, we regret to inform you that we have a 5,000 post minimum requirement prior to making new threads. We enforce it on the honor system. Either you have honor and abide, or well, you know. Thanks for your understanding and compliance. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Ron Rico said:

There was alot of back and forth last year vis a vis is it MLF who is the problem or is it Zach--

That was a variable left undetermined until now. Believe me, I didn't want to see this, but here we are. We really are going to get to settle that debate in the next few weeks. 

And not replacing Greg Knapp (RIP).  The Jets definitely mishandled ZW from the start (just like they did with Darnold).  

What gives me hope is, so many coaches and players came here exclusively to play for/with Rodgers, and all of them didn't quit when Rodgers went down. 

Not one of them quit, or choked. That speaks loudly to me.

It reflects very well on the entire organization.  Imo, it's Saleh's shining moment so far as HC of the NYJ.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

Just now, TuscanyTile2 said:

I fully believe it was the right move for this franchise at the time.  Hindsight is 20/20.

I was on board with it too.  Go look up muy bumped thread from recently where i think I was pretty much the first to propose it as a standalone topin on these boards during the bye week last year.

With that said we batched the actual negotiations a bit and i am more concerned about #2 and #3.  Did playing (overplaying) with that injury lead to the disasterous injury which happened on Monday night and is his current stance on returning effectively hamstringing the GM today?

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

Just now, EM31 said:

I was on board with it too.  Go look up muy bumped thread from recently where i think I was pretty much the first to propose it as a standalone topin on these boards during the bye week last year.

With that said we batched the actual negotiations a bit and i am more concerned about #2 and #3.  Did playing (overplaying) with that injury lead to the disasterous injury which happened on Monday night and is his current stance on returning effectively hamstringing the GM today?

I was also very early in calling for us to either sign TB12 or trade for AR8.

After all the years of mediocrity and worse, it made sense to me to go all in with our talented roster and the absolute best QB on the market.  He is  a consensus 1st ballot hall of famer and the best chance we had to win a super bowl.  Yes it didn't work out. Injuries can happen to anyone at any age and football is a risky business.  You need luck and the Jets have had very little of it for the last 54 years.  Hindsight is 20/20 but the Jets took the shot and don't think they deserve any criticism for doing so.  It will really be a great story if Zach makes the most out of the opportunity and leads the team to a successful season anyway.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

5 minutes ago, Ron Rico said:

I know we are only one game deep but I just sense some intangible something that makes my spider sense tingle in terms of then vs now ie Mike LeFleur vs Nathanial Hackett. I'm gonna roll with it. 

This is how I feel.  I truly think this team is special.  And if if if Zach can mature a bit and be average, we can truly go places.  He has a coach, and likely eventually a vet as well teaching him both in practice and on the sideline.

I hate posting this BC we still have yet to see it and can be easy to hand wave away because we haven't seen it.  But this is different.  This isn't MLF sitting in the booth talking to Zach on the phone.  This is AR and Hackett dissecting defenses on the sidelines with the kid between drives.

I have to think it will look better than even the best we have seen him.

Although the Dallas game is likely to be very conservative.  Which is the same way most teams will play against them because damn if they aren't one of the best defenses in football.  We know the drill.  Defense and limited turnovers.  It's likely going to be a low scoring grind.

Take the under.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

This post is ridiculous.  We all knew Rodgers' age and that there was some level of risk.  But no risk, no reward.  I agreed with JD acquiring him at the time and I still agree with it (despite the injury).

If we never got Rodgers, I'd go to the grave claiming "what coulda been".  At least now I know, and the cost of 2 2nd rounders isn't THAT horrible (especially if he continues to have a positive impact on Zack/team culture) . . .

34 minutes ago, Ron Rico said:

whatever it was, the intention was not to leave Floyd unimpeded to his QB's blind side.

true and we all knew it would come to this 

the line has been below average since JD arrived it's the one other unit besides QB he can't quite rebuild

AVT is good and Becton can run block but there's not much else to write home about. Laken is actively bad 

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1

40 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

And not replacing Greg Knapp (RIP).  The Jets definitely mishandled ZW from the start (just like they did with Darnold).

I was just thinking about how Aaron Rogers has now effectively become that bridge coach/mentor/puppeteer that can wear a headset on the field. 

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, bitonti said:

true and we all knew it would come to this 

the line has been below average since JD arrived it's the one other unit besides QB he can't quite rebuild

AVT is good and Becton can run block but there's not much else to write home about. Laken is actively bad 

Fight with the soldiers you have, or surrender. 

1 hour ago, Dcronin said:

I honestly don't remember us passing on Carr. Could someone fill me in there? I just remember him signing with the Saints before Jets had made up their minds. Were we really just waiting around on Rodgers at that point, without ever making a Carr offer?

Carr I’m sure felt like a backup plan, while jets waiting to see if Rodgers even wanted to keep playing. Plus I remember reading article fact JD keeping Zach around left doubts about how committed they would be to him past 2 yrs. Plus the OL condition I’m sure factored in his decision. Saints was just a better option for him overall.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

Carr I’m sure felt like a backup plan, while jets waiting to see if Rodgers even wanted to keep playing. Plus I remember reading article fact JD keeping Zach around left doubts about how committed they would be to him past 2 yrs. Plus the OL condition I’m sure factored in his decision. Saints was just a better option for him overall.

People want to go where they feel wanted. Nobody wants to be someone's Plan B.

• Upvote 1

As i thought.  Very few here actually discussing any of the three points.  Instead the standard retreat into name calling and inviting others to stop posting opinion which differ from their own  world view.

Shocker

Once again 

1) Did we overpay on the initial deal based on poorly executed negotiations with AR and GB?

2) Is it possible that the injury itself was in part or in whole the responsibility of AR playing with a strained calf muscle and a very natural desire to make a good first impression on the national stage?

3) Does the fact that AR says he wants to come back mean that JD is limited in terms of the solutions he could get in house this year?

• Thumb Down 1

35 minutes ago, EM31 said:

As i thought.  Very few here actually discussing any of the three points.  Instead the standard retreat into name calling and inviting others to stop posting opinion which differ from their own  world view.

Shocker

Once again 

1) Did we overpay on the initial deal based on poorly executed negotiations with AR and GB?

2) Is it possible that the injury itself was in part or in whole the responsibility of AR playing with a strained calf muscle and a very natural desire to make a good first impression on the national stage?

3) Does the fact that AR says he wants to come back mean that JD is limited in terms of the solutions he could get in house this year?

**** you ******.

• Haha 1

I wanted Carr or Jimmy G in the first place - i think they are just solid QB's and we could have build a team around them for more then 3 years.
With the team we had, we didnt need more than "solid" .

But i wasnt dissapointed or smth when Arod signed.

Just thought its like going all in - and we lost - at least for totay 

The Jets were a good veteran quarterback away from competing for a deep playoff run, and Aaron Rodgers was their best option. Carr was always going to New Orleans. He was a free agent, and it takes two to tango. Jimmy G is one of the biggest injury risks in the NFL, and I would be shocked if he makes it through the season. The Jets did overpay a bit in their trade with Green Bay given they had the leverage, but that's the price of locking Rodgers in pre-draft and not having things drag out into the summer. JD made the reasonable call given his options.

A very minor strained calf in late July which lead to zero missed practices had nothing to do with a freak Achilles tear in September. It was an awkward take down with a leg that got pinned underneath a defender. Come on now. You are reaching.

The Jets are limited in terms of solutions because there are no good solutions available. The best option is Tom f'ing Brady, and let's be honest, that's a complete longshot given his age, status, and history. It has nothing to do with Rodgers insinuating he doesn't want to go out like this. If the Jets saw an opportunity for a Superbowl level QB for a run in 2023, they would be all over it. JD and Saleh know exactly what is at stake.