PFF Grades for Week 1 vs Bills

bla bla bla

18 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

I like the concept of PFF but FFS Breece Hall has 10 rushes for 127 yards and 2 explosives and that is a 73.5? Seriously?

We need to seriously think about moving away from Laken.

I would be more comfortable with an OL of

AVT Tippman CMG Mitchell Becton or

Becton Tipmann CMG AVT Mitchell

• Upvote 3

11 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

We could start Tippman at Center and move McGovern over.

Or even just bench him for Tippman? 

It's too early to bench him (IMO), but that's what I would be thinking about before too long

I liked bringing back McGovern while still drafting Tippman for that exact reason, with the hope that one of them could shift over and take Tomlinson's job, solely dependent on how ready Tippman was to take on the additional responsibilities that comes with the center job.

Tomlison was the one guy who both stayed healthy the entire year and never made positions last season, and yet was horrifically terrible, having been outplayed by numerous of the JAG backups that got thrown in last year that weren't even good enough for the Jets to keep around.  I have no idea why the team thought for even a second continuing down that path was a good idea for them.  Him staying on the roster could largely be chalked up to them still being locked into that bad deal, but counting on him as a starter was an awful idea.  Let's just hope this was more a (foolish) second chance for Tomlinson than it was an indictment of what they've seen from Tippman so far.

14 minutes ago, JohnnyLV said:

I like the concept of PFF but FFS Breece Hall has 10 rushes for 127 yards and 2 explosives and that is a 73.5? Seriously?

Yeah, I don't always agree with PFF's system, but a lot of these I thought were pretty spot on, except the Hall grade was a head-scratcher.  I certainly won't debate the grades he got in the pass game or blocking, but would definitely expect more for what he did in the run game.  Unless perhaps PFF holds it against the player when they play a limited snap count (e.g., to not give a perfect score to a player who is in for only one play and makes a big play), otherwise it doesn't make sense.

With that said, the flip side is I have no idea what PFF's basis for the tackling grade is, as CJ's grade seems to miss the numerous times he played the part of a matador, acting like it was a game of one-hand touch or something.  Although that might again be a situation of being a knock against a different category (e.g., run D)

Whitehead's and Quincy's grades were certainly well deserved.  Career games for them both, let's hope they can keep it up, as that would be huge.

• Upvote 2

46 minutes ago, JohnnyLV said:

We need to seriously think about moving away from Laken.

I would be more comfortable with an OL of

AVT Tippman CMG Mitchell Becton or

Becton Tipmann CMG AVT Mitchell

It's the problem with any system that has every play getting graded from +2 to -2 (iirc that's what they do). Some absolute game-changing plays are more than other +2 plays. If he'd gotten tackled after 10 yards his PFF grade for that play would've been the same. Meanwhile the game is totally different: since we were buried so deep, a mere 10-yard run could've easily still resulted in a punt, with a drive Buffalo then starts around midfield. We'll never know for sure what would've happened, but a 10 yard run, with the same PFF grade on the play as an 80+ yard run, could've meant a 6-10 point swing in a game that ultimately went into OT.

I think they do take into account throwing a TD pass already up (or already down) by 30+ points in the 4th quarter, but I don't know what else they do to normalize data.

• Upvote 2

26 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

It's the problem with any system that has every play getting graded from +2 to -2 (iirc that's what they do). Some absolute game-changing plays are more than other +2 plays. If he'd gotten tackled after 10 yards his PFF grade for that play would've been the same. Meanwhile the game is totally different: since we were buried so deep, a mere 10-yard run could've easily still resulted in a punt, with a drive Buffalo then starts around midfield. We'll never know for sure what would've happened, but a 10 yard run, with the same PFF grade on the play as an 80+ yard run, could've meant a 6-10 point swing in a game that ultimately went into OT.

I think they do take into account throwing a TD pass already up (or already down) by 30+ points in the 4th quarter, but I don't know what else they do to normalize data.

Agree 100%. The spread needs to be-5 to +5 especially when someone has 65 snaps. I’d also add a clutch factor bonus for 3rd down and the last 3 minutes of each half 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Saul Goodman said:

TF happened to Tomlinson? Hoped that last season’s poor performance was an anomaly but guess not. Wish we had some decent to bench him for. 

He played next to Trent Williams a madden 99 best lt in the game 

When really he's a mediocre athlete on the wrong side of 30 

Another terrible Joe Douglas acquisition 

• Upvote 2