Wilson's Game Film

Agree with this.  The frustration with him is always the mental stuff.  

A big part of the Hack / Rodgers offense is play action and go routes. It’s an outside throw with less interception risk. I’d like to see him give Lazard and Wilson some chances on these. Airman begged for it Monday night lol. 

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, 65 Toss Power Trap said:

???

Watch the film. I wouldn't have posted this thread if I had seen the "For Optimists" thread post by Pac. That thread covers these same ideas better. Go look at that thread and watch the video of Daniel Jermiah's breakdown. Zach was not "terrible" by any honest assessment. 

Zach was not terrible last week.  He stepped in as a backup and won the game.  He was not the 2nd pick in the draft.

I don't think Zach can be Mark Sanchez with this team, but if he can keep at what he did, he will make himself alot of money, and maybe get the Jets a Wild Card running behind Hall and Cook.

The Jets had a winning record last year.  They lost Hall and AVT and everything collapsed.  There was no Rodgers.  Now there is Hall and Izzy.  I think they may repeat the plan.  

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

3 minutes ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

Progress, even after being thrown into the fire against a good D.

Sunday on the road against the top pressure D in the NFL last year will be the ultimate test.

If he passes this test, then we might all be able to breath easy.

Do I expect it?  No but I’ll be rooting for it.

I feel the same way. At least the o line has had a week together. Hopefully they gel a bit more and give him a little time. However, Dallas rush looked unstoppable against the Giants. 

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, 65 Toss Power Trap said:

???

Watch the film. I wouldn't have posted this thread if I had seen the "For Optimists" thread post by Pac. That thread covers these same ideas better. Go look at that thread and watch the video of Daniel Jermiah's breakdown. Zach was not "terrible" by any honest assessment. 

Trust me, I want a smoking gun that tells me Zach experiment is finished forever. 

Still a good post man! 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, talonmm said:

I really hope Rodgers becomes a "coach" this season.  He seemed to help not only Zack but other players on both sides of the ball, and even Becton.

The highest-paid player and highest-paid coach in Jets history, both in the same year. Another record for Rodgers’ trophy case.

• Haha 3

4 minutes ago, 65 Toss Power Trap said:

I just not convinced that ZW is going to magically overcome the mental stuff. Hope I'm wrong. 

The question is was the mental stuff an inability of Wilson to pick it up or was it because he had problems with the teaching methods? I feel like with Hackett and Rodgers there is more of a hands on show you on the field dynamic to bringing Zach along whereas with MiLF it was a game film and tell Zach "do this" while sitting in the QB room. I could be wrong because I obviously was not there, but I really got the vibe that rote memorization and film is how MiLF coached players. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

Just now, Sonny Werblin said:

The question is was the mental stuff an inability of Wilson to pick it up or was it because he had problems with the teaching methods? I feel like with Hackett and Rodgers there is more of a hands on show you on the field dynamic to bringing Zach along whereas with MiLF it was a game film and tell Zach "do this" while sitting in the QB room. I could be wrong because I obviously was not there, but I really got the vibe that rote memorization and film is how MiLF coached players. 

It’s nearly always the QB. How do we know? So precious few turn it around in a new environment.

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, jgb said:

If it was that simple first round QBs would never bust except for crimes, drug abuse, or career-ending injury.

People love to say “he has all the talent, just needs to fix the mental stuff.” That’s exactly what separates the busts from the successes.

I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you, but coaching does come into the equation. They said Alex Smith didn't get the mental stuff for years and he had some pretty high profile O coaches. Then Jim Harbaugh comes along and it turns out Alex Smith is pretty good. Then Smith went and played for Reid in KC and was pretty good for him as well. So, was Alex Smith's early problems with the mental stuff on him, or his coaches -- or both? And why could he suddenly get it when he had Harbaugh and then Reid?

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, TheClashFan said:

IIRC, his "best" play was a completion on a 3rd down, to Lazard maybe, when he was under a rush and falling down, yet got the ball out for the completion. It wasn't pretty, but it was a huge get.

Imagine how good Hackett will look if he can somehow unlock a decent starting QB in ZW.

He'll look good, but he will never get another HC job.

• Upvote 2

Just found this of all his throws ,a little  jumpy at first but there are some different angles on plays that show more of what Zack was dealing with. The falling down throw after getting tripped by AVT that he makes to Lazard at the 2:37 mark is incredible.  And being able to pause and play his mad backwards scramble I can better understand what he had no time to avoid and then his ability to do what he had to in not getting sacked . 3 defenders getting free and suddenly in his face...

For those who hate Zack, with the person who made this is probably one,  you get to see all his mistakes repeated a few times as well as him drilled in slow motion. 

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

4 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

How many were coached by MiLF for their first two seasons in his first stint as an OC?

That’s the power of a large sample size. There have been many, many 1st round QB busts that represent the whole spectrum of situations they were in during the beginning of their careers. The turnaround percentage is really small. No one has shown an ability to predict in advance who these rare cases will be, meaning there is no evidence of a common causal element (like having a first-time OC, for instance).

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you, but coaching does come into the equation. They said Alex Smith didn't get the mental stuff for years and he had some pretty high profile O coaches. Then Jim Harbaugh comes along and it turns out Alex Smith is pretty good. Then Smith went and played for Reid in KC and was pretty good for him as well. So, was Alex Smith's early problems with the mental stuff on him, or his coaches -- or both? And why could he suddenly get it when he had Harbaugh and then Reid?

post more please, you actually give me hope on this board

• Upvote 1